Sweet Briar College to Close

Started by smedindy, March 03, 2015, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 05, 2015, 05:41:06 PM
Quote from: smedindy on March 04, 2015, 03:52:35 PM
Funny, since Wabash men are welcomed by the fairer sex at DePauw (over Danny men)

I think that I'm finally beginning to understand why the Monon Bell rivalry blows so hot. And it has nothing to do with an old locomotive tocsin.

Calling a steam locomotive bell a "tocsin" ? Casey Jones would be mortified.

Gregory Sager

There's not that many synonyms for "bell" with which to work, WT. How would Casey Jones have felt if I had called the Monon Bell a tintinnabulum?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

HSCTiger74

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 06, 2015, 05:47:56 PM
There's not that many synonyms for "bell" with which to work, WT. How would Casey Jones have felt if I had called the Monon Bell a tintinnabulum?

Like you were showing off??  ;)
TANSTAAFL

Gregory Sager

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on March 06, 2015, 06:51:47 PM

Using the word "bell" over and over again is boring.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

smedindy

A bell is a cup until it is struck...

ADL70

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 06, 2015, 07:27:22 PM
Quote from: HSCTiger74 on March 06, 2015, 06:51:47 PM

Using the word "bell" over and over again is boring.

But "bells" over and over again is poetry.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

David Collinge

What passing bells for these who die as cattle?
Only the monstrous anger of the guns.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: David Collinge on March 06, 2015, 09:22:51 PM
"What passing bells for these who die as cattle?
Only the monstrous anger of the guns."
Wilfred Owen died 1 week before the Armistice, Nov 4, 1918.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: jknezek on March 04, 2015, 10:42:11 AM
Hampden-Sydney must be irritated. Another source of easy dates dries up. First Randolph went co-ed, then SBC closes, all that is left is Hollins. H-SC students tend to be unwelcome at the local co-ed schools...

HSC men don't go to Longwood, and Longwood men are seldom seen on HSC campus but the Longwood women are always visiting HSC. As are the women from Hollins, Randolph, Radford, VCU, Richmond, RMC UVA, JMU and others. Saturday before, during and after games most visitors would think HSC is coed. I know a lot of the HSC guys visit JMU and VT. 

It's sad to see any school close. I feel the worst for the juniors. Got to be tough.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerfanalso

Law firm has been hired to look into the legality of the closing of SBC. Evidently the professors and a large group of grads feel the board has not been transparent and are seeking a legal opinion on the matter. This matter could get interesting.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: tigerfanalso on March 12, 2015, 10:29:47 AM
Law firm has been hired to look into the legality of the closing of SBC. Evidently the professors and a large group of grads feel the board has not been transparent and are seeking a legal opinion on the matter. This matter could get interesting.

It certainly doesn't seem that all alternatives were explored...

hoopstermom

Randolph-Macon College in Ashland is making a generous offer to assist displaced students who may be left scrambling for options. 
http://www.rmc.edu/news-and-calendar/current-news/2015/03/11/r-mc-reaches-out-to-sweet-briar-college

I wish the best for all SBC students and hopefully some will take advantage of this R-MC option.  In the face of a bad situation, R-MC will provide an excellent experience and a positive outcome for those that take advantage.

tigerfanalso

more to come on this deal. two high powered law firms involved and all sorts of allegations being thrown around. asking for president and the entire board to be fired, etc.

Ron Boerger

Problem at this point is it's almost a fait accompli.    Everyone is making plans to go somewhere else next year, there's no incoming freshman class, so even if the SBC supporters win out you'll end up with nobody next year and only a small incoming class the next, your faculty is scrambling to find new jobs and may or may not come back if things are started up.    If the board simply wanted to torpedo the school, the announcement did a heck of a job towards that end.

tigerfanalso

accounting firm hired to review the books at SBC indicate the school was in good standing as of 8/15/14 and no financial reason to close the doors. Interesting at best. I agree with Ron Boerger, SBC has already been blown up for reasons he mentioned.