MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JEFFFAN

The leading Amherst senior scorer averages less than one point per game.  The leading class scoring average is 38 (sophomores) - second is 23 (freshmen) - third are juniors (20) and that is virtually all Green.

Maybe Hixon will be staying around for a while after all.

gordonmann

With Bates' selection as an at-large qualifier, the NESCAC has now had all 11 teams reach the tournament since 1997. Hamilton did it as a member of the Liberty League. Bates and Wes were the last two on the list.

I'll check when I update the Conference Guidebook, but I think the NESCAC may be the first to do that.

Old Guy

Quote from: nescacobserver on March 02, 2015, 03:01:45 PM
It's ridiculous, Green should have been in there.  You go with the guys that got you there.  Even if Green's shots weren't falling, he could have helped in so many other ways.  He hardly played at all in the second half and already had 8 rebounds when he got pulled.  What would he have ended up with if he played the full game, 13-14 rebounds?  Plus just the experience factor.  Green has played in national championship and national semi-final games for Amherst in very pressure-packed situations, in front of crowds of 4,000-5,000 people.  He is used to the intense atmosphere that existed in the Trinity gym on Sunday, and would not have been as nervous as some of the younger Amherst players.  The Amherst players look to Green as their experienced "elder", and he wasn't out on the court to be that calming influence.

I could see if Racy were red-hot and Hixon wanted to keep him in, but Racy was missing all his shots.  Let's face it, Hixon tried to get cute, and it ended up with one thing  - a LOSS. Curiously, Hixon put Green back in with only 1:30 left in overtime.  What did he expect Green to do at that point, coming in completely cold after sitting for so long?  Although Green did make a spectacular offensive rebound, skying completely over his defender and being fouled, getting 2 free throws as a result, it was too little, too late.  If Hixon was so worried that Green would spoil the game for Amherst, why did he even bother putting him into the game at all, in overtime?  The only chance Amherst had in beating this red-hot Wesleyan time is if Green were in the game during the homestretch, and for some reason that just didn't happen.

But hey, the Lord Jeffs have another life.  I'm sure Green and Hixon have talked things over, and hopefully Green is mentally ready to play on Friday night.  Hixon needs him.

Old Guy

Quote from: nescacobserver on March 02, 2015, 03:01:45 PM
It's ridiculous, Green should have been in there.  You go with the guys that got you there.  Even if Green's shots weren't falling, he could have helped in so many other ways.  He hardly played at all in the second half and already had 8 rebounds when he got pulled.  What would he have ended up with if he played the full game, 13-14 rebounds?  Plus just the experience factor.  Green has played in national championship and national semi-final games for Amherst in very pressure-packed situations, in front of crowds of 4,000-5,000 people.  He is used to the intense atmosphere that existed in the Trinity gym on Sunday, and would not have been as nervous as some of the younger Amherst players.  The Amherst players look to Green as their experienced "elder", and he wasn't out on the court to be that calming influence.

I could see if Racy were red-hot and Hixon wanted to keep him in, but Racy was missing all his shots.  Let's face it, Hixon tried
to get cute, and it ended up with one thing  - a LOSS. Curiously, Hixon put Green back in with only 1:30 left in overtime.  What did he expect Green to do at that point, coming in completely cold after sitting for so long?  Although Green did make a spectacular offensive rebound, skying completely over his defender and being fouled, getting 2 free throws as a result, it was too little, too late.  If Hixon was so worried that Green would spoil the game for Amherst, why did he even bother putting him into the game at all, in overtime?  The only chance Amherst had in beating this red-hot Wesleyan time is if Green were in the
game during the homestretch, and for some reason that just didn't happen.

But hey, the Lord Jeffs have another life.  I'm sure Green and Hixon have talked things over, and hopefully Green is mentally ready to play on Friday night.  Hixon needs him.

I did it again - hit "post" by mistake. Sorry.

Friend of mine at the game, sitting near the Amherst bench, said the issue between coach (Hixon) and player (Green) had to do with defensive responsibilities, for what it's worth.

grabtherim

Could be, that would make sense to me. No matter how many a guy may score, if a coach is not seeing what he wants or has to have on the defensive end, the guy sits, and maybe for a long time.  If this was the case, it seems to me it worked as they turned a pretty big deficit into anyone's game right down to the last shot in OT.  Good players know when and why they are taken out for defensive lapses, it's more often than not an effort thing versus a lack of skill.  I don't know if this was the case here or not, but anyone who has watched basketball knows this age old battle between coaches and players.  Sometimes you take one of your better kids out and the game changes for the better.  It happens.  It's up to that kid to cheer on his teamates who did the same for him from the bench while being ready to go back in if called on.  It's called being a teammate and a leader.     

Quote from: Old Guy on March 02, 2015, 10:54:06 PM
Friend of mine at the game, sitting near the Amherst bench, said the issue between coach (Hixon) and player (Green) had to do with defensive responsibilities, for what it's worth.

jumpshot

amHerst has not played a team with the extreme uptempo, pressing, get to the rim style of Sage. It will be either chaos and turnovers ---or lots of open threes. What sort of shooting day will it be for the ljs?

Whichever team plays most freely likely to win this one .....

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jumpshot on March 03, 2015, 09:07:12 AM
amHerst has not played a team with the extreme uptempo, pressing, get to the rim style of Sage. It will be either chaos and turnovers ---or lots of open threes. What sort of shooting day will it be for the ljs?

Whichever team plays most freely likely to win this one .....

I think Sage has the size to play halfcourt with Amherst too, if they need to.  They're just not as deep, so foul trouble could be an issue.  I think I'm picking Sage as my "surprise" Sweet Sixteen team - sorry Jeffs fans.  I'll be fine if I'm wrong, but I like this matchup for the underdog.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

jumpshot

Sage draws a lot of fouls by opponents, so foul trouble on key ljs will be something to watch for in the first half ....

booyakasha

First I have ever heard of Sage. I did confirm that they did not leave New York (according to their schedule), which is crazy.

I see that they play in the skyline conference? Who usually comes out of AQ spot in the skyline. I don't recognize a number of the schools.

jumpshot

booyakasha ---

Your claiming never to have heard of Sage (formerly Russell Sage in Troy, New York) says more about your lack of general knowledge and implies an arrogance that is unwarranted. Those on high horses have farther to fall ....

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: booyakasha on March 03, 2015, 03:12:15 PM
First I have ever heard of Sage. I did confirm that they did not leave New York (according to their schedule), which is crazy.

I see that they play in the skyline conference? Who usually comes out of AQ spot in the skyline. I don't recognize a number of the schools.

Purchase did pretty well recently.

CatCountry2013

Quote from: jumpshot on March 03, 2015, 03:29:21 PM
booyakasha ---

Your claiming never to have heard of Sage (formerly Russell Sage in Troy, New York) says more about your lack of general knowledge and implies an arrogance that is unwarranted. Those on high horses have farther to fall ....

I've never heard of Sage, either.  Please don't insult me for it.

TIAJeff

I'm an alum of Sage and I've never heard of it.

grabtherim

I dont know Sage but I do know parsley, rosemary and thyme.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: grabtherim on March 03, 2015, 11:26:01 PM
I dont know Sage but I do know parsley, rosemary and thyme.

Really?  When did this become the MASCAC board?