MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Mr. Ypsi

28 seconds, Hanover ball, 79-73 - looks fatal!

Mr. Ypsi

Final, Hanover 81 - IWU 76.

Q, you PROMISED that getting into the 70s was favoring the Titans - I demand my electrons back!!

iwu70

Congrats to Hanover.  They are just too good tonight -- shooting and defense.  Great season for the Titans, though a bitter pill to swallow.  Congrats to all the Titans for a very successful season.

Augie Fan

The CCIW reps really soiled themselves in this postseason. Not much bragging to be done about this year. Even more amazing is both games were losses at home.

I really felt IWU was not playing very well at season's end. Losing at Augie was a signal that all was not well.

I guess we can now talk about next year. To be bad it couldn't have gone better, but that's the beauty of D III basketball.

Clayton

Isn't it true that NAIA is part of the history for all of the CCIW members?

As discussed here earlier, Carthage held dual memberships into the 70s, but had a problem over post-season play.  NAIA membership was dropped, NCAA continued.

John Brown University (Ark) is a current NAIA national champ in basketball, and has a sound academic reputation, albeit heavily denominational.

"The Roop"

The only NAIA school I've actually heard jokes about was the now defunct Milton (WI) College who shut their doors in 1985 I think. They were a fairly regular non-conference opponent of Beloits at the time and the students would really give it to the Milton Students. Best one I heard was "After graduation do you guys have to go to junior college before you can get into grad school".

Clayton

When Milton went under, we did get a bunch of transfers at Carthage.  They obviously had to go through usual admissions and transcript evaluation processes before admitted.  As I recall, we got some fine baseball players from Milton--not sure about any of the other sports.

It is true, however, that in SE Wis Milton did not have a great academic reputation.  But, reputations are much like stereotypes and I'm sure there were many good students and faculty at Milton.  One of their Education Dept prof was hired at Carthage and remained until retirement in 1998 (I remember the date, since I retired then, also).

"The Roop"

Milton always had a good baseball team. In fact they were on a west coast trip when the school went under. I remember the fund drive to get them all back home.  

One of my moms teaching friends went to Milton, then to Marquette for grad school. She was at the game the night I heard the joke but I was not allowed to repeat it. LOL.

Dan Sand

Former Seahawk, Chief, Bear, etc. quarterback Dave Krieg is an alumnus of Milton College. I think he still holds the NFL record with 153 career fumbles. Mt. Senario in Ladysmith, WI and Marycrest in Davenport, IA are also NAIA schools who have closed their doors in recent years. Both had some success in basketball. Mt. Senario finished 4th in the '99 NAIA DII tournament and Marycrest finished 3rd in 1985 when there was just one NAIA division. I think Upsala, who lost to North Park in the '80 D3 championship is also no longer in operation. Kinda sad.

Mr. Ypsi

The NAIA had quite a distinguished run - most if not all of both the WIAC and CCIW schools were once members, as was my employer, Eastern Michigan University.  In fact, it was in an NAIA tournament game where George (the Iceman) Gervin punched out an opponent, thus getting kicked out of school and getting a premature start on his ABA and NBA hall-of-fame career!

If there are still any HIGHLY respected schools in the NAIA, I can't place who they would be - but I'm sure there are probably still many perfectly decent schools there (as well as many I would NOT send my kids to, but I can think of many NCAA schools who would fall into that category as well)!

Ralph Turner

The NAIA was much stronger in Texas.  The Lone Star Conference was NAIA until it moved to D2 in the early 1980's.

The Lone Star Conference sent many players to the NFL in the 1960's and 1970's, Cowboy Harvey Martin, Steeler Dwight White,  Packer Aundra "Boomer" Thompson, Giant Richard Houston, Viking Wade Wilson, Viking/Seahawk Autry "Kid" Beamon Jr, all from A&M-Commerce, Gene Upshaw and Darrell Green among others from A&M-Kingsville and Eagle Wilburt Montgomery from Abilene Christian.

Gregory Sager

Being "of a certain age", Dennis would be more likely to know this than me, but AFAIK North Park has never been anything other than an NCAA school since it became a four-year institution in the late fifties.

The NPU schedule has been released:

Fri, Nov 18 -- @ Benedictine
Tue, Nov 22 -- CONCORDIA (IL)
Sat, Nov 26 -- @ St. Norbert
Tue, Nov 29 -- JUDSON
Thu, Dec 1 -- CONCORDIA (WI)
Tue, Dec 6 -- LAKE FOREST
Sat, Dec 10 -- @ Loras
Tue, Dec 13 -- ROCKFORD
Sat, Dec 17 -- WESTMINSTER (MO)
Wed, Dec 21 -- vs. Malone#
Thu, Dec 22 -- vs. Bluefield State#
Wed, Jan 4 -- AUGUSTANA*
Sat, Jan 7 -- @ Millikin*
Wed, Jan 11 -- NORTH CENTRAL*
Sat, Jan 14 -- @ Wheaton*
Wed, Jan 18 -- @ Elmhurst*
Sat, Jan 21 -- ILLINOIS WESLEYAN*
Wed, Jan 25 -- @ Carthage*
Sat, Jan 28 -- MILLIKIN*
Wed, Feb 1 -- @ Augustana*
Sat, Feb 4 -- WHEATON*
Wed, Feb 8 -- @ North Central*
Sat, Feb 11 -- ELMHURST*
Wed, Feb 15 -- CARTHAGE*
Sat, Feb 18 -- @ Illinois Wesleyan*

* CCIW game
# Warner Southern Tourney

Malone is a moderately-successful NAIA-2 program that went 18-14 last season. Bluefield State is an NCAA D2 program that has been woeful in recent seasons, including a 3-22 2004-05 campaign.

The Vikings' schedule is mildly disappointing in terms of dates. While it's to be expected that every CCIW school will from now on have to play home conference games before the students return from Christmas break, due to the CCIW slate being pushed ahead by the newly-installed conference tourney -- and NPU is no exception, with the Augie and North Central home games scheduled for prior to the beginning of spring semester -- it's a shame that the road game against Wheaton will take place the Saturday before classes begin, which means that King Arena will be devoid of students from both schools.

I'm pleased, however, that NPU doesn't have a game scheduled for the weekend of December 2 and 3, since my plan is to be in Holland, MI that weekend for the CCIW/MIAA Classic.

Dennis Prikkel

North Park held dual membership in the NAIA from the early sixties through June 1972 - when it went exclusively with NCAA D3.

TK

As far as recognition of athletes and the ability to perform in post-season the NAIA was much superior during this time frame to the NCAA College-Division.  When NPC played in the 1969 NCAA basketball regional the field included: Illinois State, Valparaiso, Concordia (IL) and North Park.  Concordia was the top-seeded team!
On the NCAA College-division level NPC athletes in wrestling and swimming regularly had to compete against athletes from all the state schools that now make up NCAA D2 (ie ND, ND State, etc.).

The promise of playing exclusively against other small private schools was what made D3 so alluring.  In the early days of D3 there were very few state schools.  Most the Wisconsin schools were NAIA, especially Eau Claire which enjoyed great success in the NAIA national tournament in the early seventies.

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

I think the NJAC schools and some of the now D2 PSAC schools were D3 state schools from the time the NCAA went from two divisions to three.