Started by Gray Fox, April 23, 2019, 05:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADL70

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

FCGrizzliesGrad

Honestly, if you can't figure out a winner after 60 minutes and 4 OTs I'd rather just call it a tie. It's not something that comes up all that much and frankly at that point it's pretty obvious that they're evenly matched. The whole start a drive at the opponent 25 is bad enough, but to then go to just keep running two point conversions is ridiculous.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Bombers798891

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on April 23, 2019, 11:24:05 PM
Honestly, if you can't figure out a winner after 60 minutes and 4 OTs I'd rather just call it a tie. It's not something that comes up all that much and frankly at that point it's pretty obvious that they're evenly matched. The whole start a drive at the opponent 25 is bad enough, but to then go to just keep running two point conversions is ridiculous.

The thing that blows my mind—and that I've never understood about the way college football has done overtime—is that it seems blatantly obvious that the super long OT games are a feature of their "Start at the 25" system.

The 7 OT game between LSU and Texas A&M in 2018? The teams scored on 14 of the 14 possessions in OT

The 7 OT game between Western Michigan and Buffalo in 2017? The teams scored on 12 of the 14

The 7 OT game between Arkansas and Kentucky in 2003? The teams scored on 13 of the 14 possessions.

The 7 OT game between Arkansas and Ole Miss in 2001? The teams scored on 12 of the 14 possessions

There was one 7 OT game that didn't feature a lot of scoring, because the kickers couldn't hit a FG to save their lives. But that still gives you 4 of the 5.

MRMIKESMITH

How the does the Targeting work in the DIII world?

Oline89

Quote from: MANDGSU on April 24, 2019, 10:05:57 AM

I believe the refs review film either at halftime or after the game.  However, if a player charged with targeting during the second half (even one minute into the half) he is disqualified for the remainder of the game.  The NCAA rule is a little vague, if the team playing has access to instant replay, then the ref will review immediately.   Of course, every D3 team has access to immediate video, but there is no way it is going to occur in the "timely" manner that happens with video officials on the sideline of D1 games.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: Oline89 on April 24, 2019, 10:45:54 AM

I believe the refs review film either at halftime or after the game.  However, if a player charged with targeting during the second half (even one minute into the half) he is disqualified for the remainder of the game.  The NCAA rule is a little vague, if the team playing has access to instant replay, then the ref will review immediately.   Of course, every D3 team has access to immediate video, but there is no way it is going to occur in the "timely" manner that happens with video officials on the sideline of D1 games.

Thanks, that make sense.

wally_wabash

I can't tell if the update to the targeting rule replaces the game DQ or not.  If a player gets called for targeting three times in a season, that player (if nothing else about the penalty is changed) gets DQ'd for the better part of three games, plus gets hit with a one-game suspension.  Basically you're at 4 games worth of sitting out for three such penalties.  Seems severe, but maybe that's the point? 

Also, I can't remember a player collecting more than one targeting foul in a single season since this rule/penalty has been on the books.  Certainly it's happened (there's a lot of football that I don't see), but the three strikes thing feels like a never-gonna-get-there scenario. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Oline89

Quote from: wally_wabash on April 24, 2019, 11:47:57 AM

I can't tell if the update to the targeting rule replaces the game DQ or not.  If a player gets called for targeting three times in a season, that player (if nothing else about the penalty is changed) gets DQ'd for the better part of three games, plus gets hit with a one-game suspension.  Basically you're at 4 games worth of sitting out for three such penalties.  Seems severe, but maybe that's the point? 

Also, I can't remember a player collecting more than one targeting foul in a single season since this rule/penalty has been on the books.  Certainly it's happened (there's a lot of football that I don't see), but the three strikes thing feels like a never-gonna-get-there scenario.

Are there any D3 schools that can actually offer real time video review to the officials on the field?  Isn't there always an official in the booth?  Is he allowed to review the video?  Sure would be a big advantage to the schools to offer immediate video review if your starting/shutdown CB is inappropriately flagged for targeting on the first play of the second half in a conference championship game.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Oline89 on April 24, 2019, 02:31:45 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on April 24, 2019, 11:47:57 AM

Are there any D3 schools that can actually offer real time video review to the officials on the field?  Isn't there always an official in the booth?  Is he allowed to review the video?  Sure would be a big advantage to the schools to offer immediate video review if your starting/shutdown CB is inappropriately flagged for targeting on the first play of the second half in a conference championship game.

I don't know if DIII games have a replay official on hand like they do for FBS games.  I would assume not, because I don't know that enough DIII games are using adequate technology to warrant instant replay.  There are select cases where that may happen - regionally or nationally televised games with multi-camera setups and a professional production setup.  But that feels like a slim percentage of DIII games that could appropriately accommodate that.  Replay is used in the playoffs at the semifinals and finals, but again, pro production there enables it. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

hazzben

I understand the 2pt conversion adjustment, as a concession to player safety. But it's such an artificial way to determine the winner.

I've always thought they should move back from the 25 to the 35/40 yd line. I don't like that at the 25 a team can gain just 5 yds on 3 downs and then have the opportunity to attempt a 37 yd field goal. Plus, by starting at the 25 you penalize the team with the superior vertical passing game. It's much easier to defend a strong passing offense as the field gets condensed, their route tree gets reduced, and the passing windows are tighter.

Bump back to the 40 (or 35).
* A team has to gain at least 1 first down for a more favorable FG distance (a 48 yd FG is a tall task for most college kickers to make consistently)
* You aren't automatically put a hairs breath from scoring position.
* It more accurately gauges which team as a complete offense and complete defense.
* Requires teams to sustain something approximating a drive or have a great scoring play.
* By increasing the difficulty of scoring, I think you'd see fewer 4+ OT games since there's less likelihood for exchanging TD or Chip shot FG's. Teams have to make multiple plays to score.

RE: Targeting ...

I think this is a great rule change. I understand the need for the rule & player safety. I've also seen some questionable penalties that merely "stand" after official review.

Couldn't agree more with this quote from the CBS article:
QuoteThe goal of the targeting penalty is to change the way players tackle/hit one another for safety reasons. Empirically, that part seems to be working. However, it's not supposed to a punishment for a bang-bang play, resulting in an ejection because someone looking at replay can't say for sure it isn't targeting.

New Tradition

Interesting.  Does that blind side block rule include crack blocks?
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

UfanBill

Looking for a clarification on the new targeting rule. In a game I attended today...in the 2nd quarter a safety came up to make a tackle on a receiver and hit him very hard. A flag was thrown and after a thorough discussion the refs called personal foul, targeting, matched off 15 and ejected the safety from the game. I thought OK. Looked like the proper call, he's done for today. To my surprise the safety's back on the field after halftime. ::)...Is it possible the refs looked at video of the play at halftime and subsequently changed their call? I didn't know this was in the rules.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Hawks88

Yes, they will look at a replay at the half and reverse the ejection if they can see that it wasn't targeting. We had a guy return to a game that way a couple of years ago.