MBB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by awadelewis, October 14, 2012, 08:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbrooks3

Impressed with Sewanee this season even though I've not followed them closely.  They absolutely destroyed Centre last weekend after having beaten the Colonels in Danville earlier.  The Tigers clearly look to be the team to beat in the SAA.
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Watched my 1st live SAA game between Oglethorpe & Rhodes tonight in Memphis.  The visitors pulled out a 3-point victory inspite of letting Rhodes back into the game down the stretch with some sloppy play.  Bad free throw shooting possibly cost the Lynx a come-back win.  The Stormy Petrels controlled the flow most of the way holding a double-digit lead much of the 2nd half.  I thought OU did a nice job squeezing Rhodes with its zone defense & superior quickness. 
🏀🏀🏀

awadelewis

Looks like my worries about Sewanee's game today with Millsaps were justified as the Majors get the 70-69 win at home with a game-ending layup.    This was after we let the Majors back in the game with a late run.    B-SC's win over Centre moves them into 1st place in the league going into tomorrow's game between the Tigers and the Panthers.   

Some good stuff in the SAA this weekend...

awadelewis

B-SC solidifies their hold on first place in the league with a 74-73 win over Sewanee in Birmingham.   

B-SC goes on the road to Rhodes and Hendrix next weekend while Sewanee does the Georgia swing with games at Oglethorpe and Berry.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

For the third consecutive year, Hoopsville will air for 12 hours as the regular season enters the final four weeks. Dave McHugh will chat with coaches, administrators, student-athletes, and others involved in Division III basketball from around the country. Other guests will include those who have Division III roots or appreciate the division and the game along with the student-athletes who play the sport.

Hoopsville will air from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. (and maybe later) on Thursday, February 4 live from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can see what guests are scheduled, get more information, and watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/feb4

You can also read the press release about the show: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/hoopsville-marathon-2016

Here is the guest list as we speak. All times are Eastern and subject to change. Additional guests to be added if and when necessary:

TimeGuestSchool
10:15amConnie TilleySt. Norbert (WBB) - WBCA Center Court
10:40amJamie PurdyPeidmont (WBB)
11:00amKeri CarolloUW-Whitewater (WBB) - Nat'l Committee Chair
11:20amBrent PollariSaint Mary's (Minn.) (WBB)
11:40amKent MadsenNo. 21 Wheaton (Ill.) (WBB)
12:00pmRussell LoydRose-Hulman (MBB)
12:20pmKevin BroderickNazareth (MBB)
12:40pmJustin ScottArcadia (MBB)
1:00pmSam HargravesNo. 12 Alma (MBB)
1:20pmLenny ReichMount Union (SID)
1:40pmMaureen WebsterClarkson (WBB)
2:00pmBetsy WitmanYork (Pa.) (WBB)
2:20pmSara LeeDenison (WBB)
2:40pmKlay KneuppelWisconsin Lutheran (MBB)
3:00pmBrian Van HaaftenBuena Vista (MBB) - Nat'l Committee Chair
3:30pmSydney MossNo. 1 Thomas More (WBB)
3:45pmAaron RousellBucknell (WBB) - former Chicago coach
4:00pmTim ShanahanStaten Island (WBB)
4:20Pat CunninghamTrinity (Texas) (MBB) - NABC Coach's Corner
4:50pmBubba SmithSewanee (MBB)
5:15pmBen StrongFormer Guilford All-American
5:30pmKevin ConnorsESPN SportsCenter Anchor - Ithaca alumnus
6:00pmKristen DowlingClaremont-Mudd-Scripps (WBB)
6:20pmAllison ColemanSage (WBB)
6:40pmLandry KosmalskiSwarthmore (MBB)
7:00pmDave NilandNo. 23 Penn State-Behrend (MBB)
7:20pmAaron GallettaLasell (MBB)
7:40pmJohn BaronGwynedd-Mercy (MBB)
8:00pm
8:20pm
8:40pmMelissa HodgdonWheaton (Mass.) (WBB)
9:00pmG.P. GromackiNo. 2 Amherst (WBB)
9:20pmJames Wagner
9:40pmHAPPY HOURFree-for-all of calls, tweets, and fun!

We hope to get at least the full show on a podcast, or several podcast, during the on Friday. You can find it here:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

And a reminder the Hoopsville Fundraising Project has begun yet again. Please consider helping us cover Division III basketball the way it deserves to be covered. If you can not donate, please don't worry about - we understand. At least share the campaign with anyone you think might be interested: http://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser/x/6029509

Also, if you know any advertisers interested in promoting their company or products on the show, send them our way: hoopsville@d3hoops.com

Thanks!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

awadelewis

Coaching changes on the Mountain as Bubba Smith leaves Sewanee for Lee University as reported in a message on Twitter by Lee's president.    Press conference at Lee tomorrow with the announcement.

EDIT:
Adding in a link to the announcement that Asst. Coach Bradley Pierson is being promoted to be the next head coach at Sewanee: http://www.sewaneetigers.com/sports/mbkb/2015-16/releases/20160408hffs9k

scottiedoug

Saw Centre's young team and Maryville's young team...many freshmen and sophomores on both squads.  Pretty normal MC-Centre game, early season basketball pretty well played.  Centre's Avery is a player!

awadelewis

Article from the Memphis paper about the Rhodes men's program adopting the Grinnell System.  The Lynx have been racking up some big numbers on the scoreboard... they beat B-SC 142-100.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/geoff-calkins/2017/01/07/calkins-radical-new-era-rhodes-hoops/96238138/

pbrooks3

Some kind of great game @ Centre tonight with the home squad pulling out an OT 106-100 win over the wild & crazy Rhodes team who play the game at a breakneck pace.  I had witnessed the Rhodes win last Sunday where they clobbered Millsaps with a 77-point 1st half. Amazingly, Centre survived a 1-13 night from behind the arch.  Solid late game free throw shooting & strong freshmen play were the difference for the Colonels.
🏀🏀🏀

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

awadelewis

I've always been curious to see what would happen when a team playing The System took on a team playing the Princeton Offense.

The Lynx are on the Mountain this weekend.    Rhodes adopting this offense adds a new wrinkle to our rivalry.

awadelewis

Well... Sewanee beat Rhodes 111-101.     

It was interesting watching a team use The System.   I see what Coach DeGeorge meant in his comments in the d3hoops column.   It really is like watching what happens to a football defense when a team who is always playing opponents running a spread offense has to take on a team running the triple option.

The thing that we did well against Rhodes yesterday was making them play half-court defense and then making them pay for always trying to double-team.    Combine that with decent offensive rebounding and you can beat this scheme.

I can see why a lot of people don't like the Grinnell style of play.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

What I heard over and over again that maybe didn't come through in the piece is that all the coaches agreed, there's little inherent on-floor advantage to the System.  It still comes down to talent.  You can level the playing field a little bit with depth, which is how you see bad teams become better, but talent is still talent and you still have to recruit.

Rhodes is just starting, though, so I imagine they've got a pretty good shot to be pretty good.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere