FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

middpantherpride

Go Bantams!

Go Bills! (I'm no front-runner :-\):

[/quote]

Hey Trin 8-0... Although I used to despise Trinity, I cannot help but to look back and respect them and their program. Nothing but respect for the Bants. At times they came across as arrogant, but they had reason to be. I will never forget being blown out 45-7 and being run all over by Bunker and Crick in 2012. Luckily, we got revenge in 2013 and 2014. I guess my point is it's easy to be offended by the actions of Trinity when you are constantly chasing them. They are the alpha male in the league. Of course everybody is going to knock them and be upset by whatever they do. I respect the confidence and challenge others on this blog to see Trinity for what it is and not play the victim card like the rest of society. It pays to be a winner. If you want to be offended, then do something about it on the field. Channel that frustration into on field performance. Don't take cheap shots on their academics or call them Hartford State. I remember in 2014 Mike Mancini was honored as an NFF National Scholar Athlete. He was one of 17 recognized on all levels of college football. Pretty remarkable imo.

Ok now that I'm done defending Trinity, as it's tough for me to do, especially with Midd playing them next week... On to the Buffalo Bills. I am a huge Bills fan. Born and raised in Buffalo. Live and die by them.

So pumped and honored the Bills have a NESCAC alum and Midd alum as a kicker: Stephen Hauschka. Great guy. Here is a story I wrote on his journey from the NESCAC to the NFL for those interested:

streetsmartsports.org/2017/10/20/cut-stephen-hauschka-the-journey-of-being-cut-from-the-middlebury-college-soccer-team-to-nfl-placekicker/

Cheer. Boys. Cheer.

Hamiltonian

It cracks me up to read you guys talking about coaches, talent, programs, etc.  Especially you guys from Trinity, Amherst, Wesleyan, Tufts, and Williams.  I've played and watched football since I was a tyke, like most of you.  I'm a comparatively new devotee of NESCAC.  I love it.  It's the only amateur football left in the entire country.  I love watching the games.  I love the parental support, which makes up for the almost complete lack of interest by the student body.  I couldn't be happier that my son is playing, and even for a team that doesn't match up well with some of the top schools.  However, what is completely clear to me is that this league is a stacked deck because of the recruiting competition.  I know there are goods coaches and bad coaches, and supportive administrations and unsupportive administrations.  But please, let's understand that when it comes to being able to recruit the best, biggest, strongest, fastest, most athletic players at every position, those top five teams are born on third base and seem to think they hit a triple.  Whether it is lower admissions standards, a school's national academic reputation going back a century, desirability of location, size of the student body, it ought to be a miracle if any of the bottom tier teams every break out.  Oh, Williams has turned it's program around?  The wonder is that it did so badly for so long given its natural advantages, which is proof that a weak coaching staff CAN undermine a team despite those advantages.  And on very rare occasions, a good coach with some smart recruiting can create a team capable of competing for a year or two.  But year in and year out, decade after decade?  Come on.  Which is why among the very annoying things about this blog, which I wanted very much to enjoy but which some of you guys have made impossible with your stunning nastiness, is the way you folks from the top tier programs sneer at the disadvantaged teams and how much they stink.  It doesn't surprise me that some of you worship "#45".  Your empathy/humanity level is on a par with his.  Fortunately, NESCAC football is still great, despite the built-in disparities.  The upper tier teams can fight it out for the championship every year, while the lower tier teams can dream of someday catching lightning in a bottle and beating one of them on one day, as Hamilton almost did in its first game this year.  And it's amateur sports at its best.  Long live NESCAC!

Hamiltonian

the one exception to all this, and which I don't completely understand, is the ongoing success of Middlebury.  High standards and not a great location.  That one escapes me, and maybe that is a case where their program and coaching really do overcome the natural disadvantages.

AmDad

Visit Middlebury, see their facilities and speak with Coach Ritter... you will then understand.  My son ultimately chose Amherst but I would have been happy either way.

lumbercat

Hamiltonian-
Don't underestimate Middlebury, they are firmly in that "top tier".

Hamiltonian

That's my point.  They are definitely.  But why do they compete so well with the other five that have so many advantages?

Hamiltonian

I'll be there in two weeks, Amdad, for the first time.  Doubt if I'll get an audience with the coach but will absorb the vibe. 

lumbercat

Hamiltonian
I guess we are saying the same thing but I think Midd has those same advantages.
Your point about some programs born on third and think they hit a triple is right on.
I cant remember if it was Farley at Williams or Ostendarp at Amherst (both were coaching legends) who said when asked about recruiting "I just make sure I'm in the office when the recruits call".

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Hamiltonian on October 21, 2017, 09:11:15 AM
I'm a comparatively new devotee of NESCAC.  I love it.  It's the only amateur football left in the entire country.

All of Division III qualifies as this, for sure. That's one of the reasons I was so drawn to it.

(Psst -- please, let's all leave the generalizations about each other and their political leanings on the curb.)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

frank uible

Midd and Williams turn the lemon of being in the sticks into lemonade. Others in the sticks have not found the recipe.

Hamiltonian

Hey, ColbyF.  See what I mean?  Turns out Colby has a GREAT offense.  (;

Hamiltonian

Quote from: frank uible on October 21, 2017, 01:07:32 PM
Midd and Williams turn the lemon of being in the sticks into lemonade. Others in the sticks have not found the recipe.

Excuse me, but Williams is the number one liberal arts college in the country.  I think that may be an advantage.  Sticks or no sticks. 

Hamiltonian

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 21, 2017, 12:42:30 PM
Quote from: Hamiltonian on October 21, 2017, 09:11:15 AM
I'm a comparatively new devotee of NESCAC.  I love it.  It's the only amateur football left in the entire country.

All of Division III qualifies as this, for sure. That's one of the reasons I was so drawn to it.

(Psst -- please, let's all leave the generalizations about each other and their political leanings on the curb.)

OK. But pretty sure I said "some".   

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Hamiltonian on October 21, 2017, 02:24:08 PM
Quote from: frank uible on October 21, 2017, 01:07:32 PM

Excuse me, but Williams is the number one liberal arts college in the country.  I think that may be an advantage.  Sticks or no sticks.

Bowdoin is #3 and the coach there (Wells) did a fantastic job at his previous gig (Endicott) but can't get anything done at Bowdoin. 

I think being in the sticks is probably as important as having good looking girls or having an outdoor swimming pool. 

A Good coach that can recruit with the same support in the admissions and financial aid offices is the most important factor.