BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BASH6-4-3

NCAC/D3 Fans,
Very excited to see this new baseball link to D3sports.com.  I have followed the football posts since the 2002 season but was never a poster.  Now I have to get in the game since this is/was my sport.  I am 15 years and over 1,000 miles removed from C'ville and the NCAC so I mainly use this site to obtain inside news not provide it - but I'm sure I will have a few opinions now and then.
Can't wait for the season to get underway.
"This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray.  It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.  Oh...people will come Ray." - Field of Dreams, 1989

Li'l Giant

Quote from: kcreds on January 06, 2006, 04:09:18 PMHere is to getting to baseball weather soon!

I don't know where you are but it's been baseball weather here in South Texas for about 3 weeks.

My law school alma mater is kicking off their season in 3 weeks!!!
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

wally_wabash

Where are NCAC teams headed for early season baseball?  Wabash is breaking from their traditional Florida trip and opting instead for some cactus ball in Arizona to start their season. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

David Collinge

Wooster plays in the Ft. Myers area during spring break; I gather this is a more-or-less permanent arrangement.  This season, the Scots are scheduled to play 17 games in Ft. Myers in 14 days (March 12-25), including four official conference games (vs. Oberlin). 

Scots' baseball schedule

Tezbaseball

Interesting site. You can see by where a MLB player went to school.

http://baseballreference.com/schools/
The great blessing of mankind are within us and within our reach; but we shut our eyes, and like people in the dark, we fall foul upon the very thing we search for, without finding it

woosterbooster

Wooster plays in the "Gene Cusic Classic", as David said in Ft. Myers, which is a permanent event that brings together many DII and DIII teams over a six-week period.  Most schools go down for a period of about two weeks.  They have a website which shows this year's teams, but it appears to be down.  If I remember, I'll see if I can get a working link tomorrow.

woosterbooster

Here's the link to the Gene Cusic Classic in Ft. Myers.  The link was operating this morning.  Denison, Hiram, Oberlin, and Wooster seem to be the four NCAC schools that will play ballgames down there.

http://www.leeparks.org/cusic/cusic.htm

BASH6-4-3

Does anyone know what prompted the change of venue for the Wabash spring trip?  Does the fact that we have some Arizona-based players and the opportunity to tap into this rich baseball recruiting area play any role?

As a westerner, I always felt we should try a spring trip to Texas, Arizona or California.  The weather is usually better than Florida - warmer than the Atlantic Coast and drier than the Gulf Coast.  Trouble is matching up with other DIII programs.

I was always envious of Wooster's 2 week spring trip.  Wabash has never had more than 1 week and typically 6-7 games in the sunshine state.  Just one of many reasons Wooster's program is one of the elite.
"This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray.  It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.  Oh...people will come Ray." - Field of Dreams, 1989

Ralph Turner

Bash, you post about "Spring Training" in Texas or California is interesting.

The ASC begins in-division play on March 10th-11th with the 3-game series.  Marietta and Neb. Wesleyan are playing at McMurry on Mar 14th and Mar 15th.

There are excellent teams down here.  The ASC has 16 teams.  The SCAC-West has 5 more. Independent UDallas is always looking for games. 

wally_wabash

Wabash had been traveling down to Ft. Meyers for the Cusic Classic for the last I don't know how many years.  They usually stop along the way for a doubleheader at places like Oglethorpe, LaGrange, or any other school on the way down to Florida. 

I don't know the reason for going down to AZ this spring.  Maybe a change of pace...maybe to look into recruiting.  Who knows.  From what I can gather, this AZ invitational is run by the same people who run some of the FL spring invitationals and this is the invitational's first year.  I'm guessing the experience will be about the same as the Florida trips...just in a different locale. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

kcreds

OWU is going to Port Charlotte, FL. They will play 2nd ranked Cortland State, 5th ranked Rowan, Wisconsin-Oshkosh, and 4 other teams. 11 games in 7 days, oh to be young and have that opportunity again. I really envy those guys. OWU, weather permitting, will open up with Ohio U. before they leave for FL. That game will be very interesting, especially depending upon who OU will pitch and how many.

WallyFS4

Can't wait for the season to get here.  It's nice to see a site for the greatest game ever invented.  I rather be watching football, but nothing beats the National Pastime to play.  As always.

WABASH ALWAYS FIGHTS![/size][/font][/color]

BASH6-4-3

Ralph,

My post re: Texas/California trips for Wabash was not a knock on the ASC or SCIAC.  In fact more the opposite.  I'm not sure a Wabash team could match up very well with them that early in the season given the lack of outside practice time in January/February compared to the southern teams.  The beauty of the massive spring exodus to Florida of teams east of the Mississippi is that the snowbird teams can play each other down there - kind of evens the playing field.

smedindy

I think it's kind of refreshing that Wabash gets to Arizona. Actually, it's better - there's less chance of a rainout, so they could get more games in.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BASH6-4-3 on January 23, 2006, 09:33:08 PM
Ralph,

My post re: Texas/California trips for Wabash was not a knock on the ASC or SCIAC.  In fact more the opposite.  I'm not sure a Wabash team could match up very well with them that early in the season given the lack of outside practice time in January/February compared to the southern teams.  The beauty of the massive spring exodus to Florida of teams east of the Mississippi is that the snowbird teams can play each other down there - kind of evens the playing field.

Bash, I did not take it as a knock.  I realized that the Texas teams were into Division/Conference play and so they might not have their best pitching available.