BB: MIAA: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by Ralph Turner, January 28, 2006, 12:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albinomascot19

I was looking at the MIAA website, and it shows Adrian has already played a game, kind of shocked.  Are they on spring break already?  I know here at Albion, we don't go on Spring Break till March 10th. 

formerd3db

Hope doesn't start Spring Break until March 17th.  However, some of the MIAA schools the past 2-3 years (including Hope) have scheduled early baseball games the first weekends in March or so.  Obviously, they have to go to Indiana, or southern Ohio or Illinois where there has not been snow.  Look at last weekend down in Indiana - DePauw and Butler got games in.  Of course, early games at this time of year are a "crap shoot" as to the weather - might get snowed out or they will get played.  Either way, I think it is great if you can get a couple of games under your belt before heading to Florida for the Spring Break series of games.  I would think Adrian might be the favorite again after winning it last year, although certainly Hope, Albion (maybe Calvin) might be in there for the running.  Any thoughts on this and/or about Kazoo or Olivet anyone??
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

bulldogalum

Adrian is just finishing up their spring break, and from the looks of it, they've struggled a bit.  Of course, they're months behind those southern teams.  I'd say they're probably the favorite in the league at this stage, since they have their two big pitchers back this year.  We'll see if they can fill out the bottom end of the starting rotation and find some offense to help out that pitching staff, but they'll certainly be tough.

bulldogalum

Adrian comes out of the opening trip 2-4.  Not the best start in the world, but it's tough facing those southern teams when they've been practicing outside all season.

bulldogalum

Albion sits at 1-2 in Ft. Myers after yesterday.  Today, they face the #1 team in the country, should be interesting.

formerd3db

Hope lost to Ohio Wesleyan twice this past weekend Sat down in Florida.  Not so good to start out 0-2.  Hopefully, ;), they can rebound - need to check on  today's score, if they were able to play the game re: the weather.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

sac

Worth mentioning the MIAA is playing its 100th season of baseball.

The first Champion was Michigan State back in 1888, oddly there was no baseball from 1930 to 1947.  The war years are obvious but does anyone know why no baseball from 1930 to 1940?

BigPoppa

Quote from: sac on March 21, 2006, 10:39:21 PM
Worth mentioning the MIAA is playing its 100th season of baseball.

The first Champion was Michigan State back in 1888, oddly there was no baseball from 1930 to 1947.  The war years are obvious but does anyone know why no baseball from 1930 to 1940?

The Great Depression... money was spent on food, not baseballs. It's just my guess, but it sounds about right to me.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

formerd3db

That is probably the reason.  The MIAA Centennial history book published in 1988 does not mention the reason for the absentee period in the baseball section or its general history section. 

While I am well aware of the MIAA's football history, I am not as informed about that of baseball.  A couple of the Alma coaches have worked on that school's baseball history and might possibly know the answer, or at least some additonal details/contributory factors.  I will try to find out more.   

formerd3db

Heading into today's final game during their Florida spring break trip, Hope is 3-6.  Not the best start, but pretty much as most teams do as has been discussed.  It should be an interesting MIAA race this year.

section7

Well, here we go with the MIAA season.

First week and it already is huge and weather has already played a factor.

Hope plays Alma on Monday and Tuesday, then comes back on Thursday and Saturday with Adrian.

Eight games in 6 days and we will be off and running in the MIAA.

Adrian gets the upper hand early with a 4-game sweep of Tri-State.  Even if a team is clearly superior, a 4 game sweep is huge!

Looks like the weather will cooperate for this week.  Should be interesting to see how things shake out come Saturday night.

Just one correction for dback, the Flying Dutchmen were 3-5 (not 3-6) and ended their spring trip with a Friday DH sweep over Crown to end 5-5 for their FL trip.  They hit the ball extremely well (especially Freshman Matt VanderVelde), got pretty solid pitching and great defense (upwards of 10 double plays).

Let the really games begin!

section7

Quote from: section7 on March 27, 2006, 09:49:29 AM
Well, here we go with the MIAA season.

First week and it already is huge and weather has already played a factor.

Hope plays Alma on Monday and Tuesday, then comes back on Thursday and Saturday with Adrian.

Eight games in 6 days and we will be off and running in the MIAA.

Adrian gets the upper hand early with a 4-game sweep of Tri-State.  Even if a team is clearly superior, a 4 game sweep is huge!

Looks like the weather will cooperate for this week.  Should be interesting to see how things shake out come Saturday night.

Just one correction for dback, the Flying Dutchmen were 3-5 (not 3-6) and ended their spring trip with a Friday DH sweep over Crown to end 5-5 for their FL trip.  They hit the ball extremely well (especially Freshman Matt VanderVelde), got pretty solid pitching and great defense (upwards of 10 double plays).

Let the real games begin!

formerd3db

section7
Thanks for the correction - you are right :-[  Ending the spring trip at .500 is not bad.  Hope must have cancelled the game with Alma early on Sat because a friend of mine who lives in the greater GR area said it was sunny and no snow AM Sat (but good 'ole Holland has the "lake effect" as you know).

Anyway, with today's great weather and same forcasted for tomorrow, they ought to get in some good games.  It indeed should be an interesting MIAA baseball race.  With the new format, I can see a lot of games being crammed in short periods of time, but that is not all that bad.  As we've discussed previously, kind of similar to like it was in "the old days". ;D

albinomascot19

Albion took two from Calvin today, as they are just 1/2 game back of Adrian for 1st place.  During Albion's spring break they were faced with some tough competition, and they had a hard time.  They faced the Nation's #1 Team in Wooster College Scots, as they dropped two lopsided games.  The Albion College Britons field a young squad this year.  So far their record stands at 7-8-1, with a 3-1 mark in the league.  Albion hits the road @ Olivet, and then comes back on Saturday to face Olivet at home.  Adrian is the leader, having played 4 games already.  Kalamazoo has a nice record going for them this year.  In the past, Kalamazoo Hornets have had some misfortune, but this year is looking up for them, as they will try to compete with the other MIAA foes. 

formerd3db

Albionmascot:
Thanks for the update.  Alma took the first game from Hope today 5-4 with the second game underway.  According to Hope's website, Tues game between the two has been postponed - no reason given.  Wonder why?  Academics ??? ;) ;D  We'll have to see.