MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donho

R-MC fans going from Ashland have a trip right at 100 miles, so could/should be around 2 hours.
 From the Virginia Beach area it takes me about 3 hours to LaPlata without traffic.

Go Jackets,Quakers and Royals !!!!

And it is a very good chance at that, Bbspecial.

bjgiants6

Any RMC fans/students know if the school will support a bus to drive up to St. Mary's Friday night? I'm assuming the game will start at 6. Thanks.

hasanova

Times set:  EMU vs Whitworth at 6 pm and Guilford vs College of Wooster at 8 pm on Friday night in GC's Ragan-Brown Field House.  

rmc1982

Quote from: donho on March 07, 2010, 06:05:43 PM
  R-MC fans going from Ashland have a trip right at 100 miles, so could/should be around 2 hours.
 From the Virginia Beach area it takes me about 3 hours to LaPlata without traffic.

Go Jackets,Quakers and Royals !!!!

And it is a very good chance at that, Bbspecial.
DonHO-Could the NCAA pick a SCREWIER,harder,more out of the way place to get to than St Mary's???? Pretty country and nice to visit but not very easy to get to! I have friends in the Navy who were stationed at Pax River that hated living there because,although it is a very beautiful area,it's a BIT__ to get there!!!  Not trying to step on any St Mary's people's toes here....;-) ....if I was gonna  go on a romantic vacation to get away it would be tops on my list but for a basketball playoff game....NOT!!...I know I'm more than a little predudiced but Ashland,Va(the Center of the Universe to us Macon fans )would have seemed to be a little easier to get to.........;-0....it is right on I-95 with PLENTY of hotels!
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

rmc1982

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 07, 2010, 03:59:02 PM
St. Mary's is hosting as well... and despite the thought about RMC hosting... SMC is a #1 regionally ranked team and the chance the NCAA would go to a lower ranked team like RMC, F&M, or DeSales was a bit of a stretch. SMC is also very centrally located for all teams... and there are plenty of hotels and restaurants within ten miles of the SMC campus.

RMC fans... shouldn't be that bad a trip... 2 to 2 1/2 hours?
D-Mac-I realize St Mary's is a #1 regionally ranked team but when you look at their schedule it is  nowhere near the difficulty of any of the ODAC teams represented.I also realize that they beat VWC, albeit on a very questionable out of bounds call at the end of the game,which very well could have decided the game.All of that being said, for you to say its an easy trip for R-MC fans is a bit of a stretch.Even though it's probably only a 3 hr trip from Ashland,Its more of a "go around your A__ to get to your thumb" kinda place!I know its all water under the bridge now(and we could have been in the regional with Guilford and EMU-YIKES!),and we seem to play better in a hostile venue anyway, but to say its central is just looking at a map by "how the crow flies"In reality, it's a whole lot more difficult than truckin' down I-95 for everybody.....Anyways, my two cents worth.Congrats to ALL ODAC participants and Good Luck this weekend!....and especially....GO Jackets!
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

2RMCFans

^ the directions we pulled from St. Mary's website don't sound too bad.  Take 301 N and then just 2 turns; one of 23 miles and one of 15 miles.  We might be missing something but it sounds good enough for us to say we'll go up & back both days (hoping...!) and not even worry about staying over.

Hoping that lots of Jackets fans will be able to go as we had a nice, vocal crowd in PA last weekend. 

For bjgiants6 -- we have asked about bus deals many times before and always get the same answer - no money in the budget - but will ask around again just in case someone is working on it.  If we find out anything useful, we'll post it here for you.

GO JACKETS!!!!

rmc1982

Quote from: 2RMCFans on March 08, 2010, 05:20:29 PM
^ the directions we pulled from St. Mary's website don't sound too bad.  Take 301 N and then just 2 turns; one of 23 miles and one of 15 miles.  We might be missing something but it sounds good enough for us to say we'll go up & back both days (hoping...!) and not even worry about staying over.

Hoping that lots of Jackets fans will be able to go as we had a nice, vocal crowd in PA last weekend.  

For bjgiants6 -- we have asked about bus deals many times before and always get the same answer - no money in the budget - but will ask around again just in case someone is working on it.  If we find out anything useful, we'll post it here for you.

GO JACKETS!!!!
I know you're right guys, but for me in S.E Va(Franklin,To be exact)-it's more of a 4.5 hr trip! I was just expressing a little frustration-The Center of the Universe is alot easier for me(and hell-You can WALK can't cha??)and I still have so many friends up in the area.We are probably lucky to not have to travel a longer distance-we're playing EXTREMELY well right now, but the losses to EMU,Guilford twice,and especially the W&L loss messed up our chances to host. We have played very well in hostile gyms all year, and hopefully we'll do it again.All the battle scars from the ODAC games, not to mention all of the tough teams we played during the year, can't be hurting us now! I won't make this trip, unless I can come up sat night for the regional final if we win friday, but I will have Marty and Co  cued up on my computer! Good Luck to everybody from our conference this weekend!....Haven't figured out yet who I'll pull for if there's a Guilford-EMU regional final-just hope they're both in it....;-).....GO JACKETS!

bjgiants6

RMC 1982, thanks for keeping me posted. I figured that it had to do with the budget.

sludge

On a slightly obscure note, the Wooster Scots will be bringing the peripatetic D3 Championship BeltTM with them to Guilford.

Anybody got a read on any of these matchups?  (Aside from a potential Guilford - EMU matchup, ha-ha.)

hasanova

Thanks, sludge ... I'd forgotten about the Championship Belt!  By the way, Whitworth has won 25 in a row, so they've got a lot on the line also.  I think RMC defeated C. of Wooster this season, so that's a common opponent of the Quakers.  Seriously doubt there's ever been a match-up with Whitworth and an ODAC school, but I could be wrong.

David Collinge

Quote from: hasanova on March 08, 2010, 09:28:03 PMI think RMC defeated C. of Wooster this season, so that's a common opponent of the Quakers.
R-MC beat Wooster at R-MC 72-65 on Dec. 14.

Another common opponent is Ohio Wesleyan.  The Quakers beat OWU at Marietta by 7 on Dec. 29; Wooster beat the Battling Bishops three times, by eight, 16, and 17 points.  Not that this tells us anything very useful about this Friday's matchup, one in which Guilford will be a solid favorite.

sludge

Well, it looks like Wooster has four guys who are above .410 percentage on 3 point shooting.  We'll need to defend the three for sure.  It looks like Guilford has an edge in the paint.  We might also have an edge in ball handling.

Mr. Ypsi

With Tyler Sanborn (and Ben Strong before him), when was the last time Guilford DIDN'T have "an edge in the paint"?! ;D

hasanova

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 08, 2010, 10:08:27 PM
With Tyler Sanborn (and Ben Strong before him), when was the last time Guilford DIDN'T have "an edge in the paint"?! ;D
True.  So true.  :)

David Collinge

We've got a guy in the paint who can't match Sanborn's size or ability (or stats), but that we like a lot, in Bryan Wickliffe.  Wick's an excellent post defender, and despite the size mismatch (he's 6'5") he might give Sanborn a problem here and there.  He did a pretty good job on Whitewater's Dustin Mitchell (6'9" and the WIAC POY), holding him to 14 points and 9 rebounds before fouling him out.

If our three-point shooters, which encompass almost everybody, are hitting, it should be a pretty good game.  Wooster has some problems with turnovers, and we haven't got a lot of size, but we do have guys who can shoot the ball pretty well when they're on, and we can rebound and play defense fairly well too.  Plus we have Ian Franks, the least-likely-looking superstar I've seen in a while.  He's a gangly unathletic-looking 6'4" guard who seems to have the ability to dematerialize when the defense comes for him, reappearing behind their backs on a drive to the hoop.   Some teams, like Whitewater, just don't seem to be able to do anything to stop him.

If Guilford's shooters are on, or if Sanborn has his way in the paint, it could be a long night for the Scots.  But if Wooster is hitting or if Franks is able to get to the hoop, we might have a pretty good game on tap.