WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Millikin edges NPU, 73-72, as Kelsey Going hit a free throw with two seconds left to give the Big Blue the win.

Man, I hate Decatur.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Titans win the final 12 minutes, 34-11, and the game, 69-57. ;D

During long stretches, this looked more like 7 vs. 8 than 1 vs. 2: air balls, unforced turnovers, players left totally unguarded under the basket, etc.  But that final run was almost entirely the IWU offense finally waking up and the defense FORCING turnovers.  (The Titan shooting stats will still look pretty pathetic, but they could hardly miss the second half of the second half [and always seemed to get the offensive rebound when they did].  Meanwhile the Carthage overall shooting percentage was much better, but they went 1-15 from downtown.)

Gregory Sager

Liz Rehberger led the Vikings with 15 points, and was joined in double figures by Dominikque Williams with 12 and Brittany Pittas with 11. Brittany Czaplicki led the Big Blue with 15 and 8, while Jasmine Johnson and Yip Ypya had 14 apiece and Bria Williams added 12.

NPU had to fight back in the second half in this one. The Park trailed by a dozen with eight minutes and change left, and with as little as two and a half minutes left North Park was still down by ten. But the Vikings showed nice composure, stuck with it, and finally tied the Big Blue on three Pittas FTs with 20 seconds left. The Big Blue played for the final shot, naturally, and Johnson threw up an off-balance shot off the glass with eight seconds left that went out of bounds off of the Vikings. After a pair of timeouts, Nicole Kruckman fouled Going on the inbounds pass, leading to the final made free throw that decided the game.

Very tough to fight all the way back only to lose, but NPU was outrebounded and turned over the ball more, which negated superior shooting by the Vikings. As hard as NPU played, Millikin played just as hard and deserved the win every bit as much as North Park did.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

Big big BIG win for the Titans.  Both teams playing poorly at first, Titans coming back in the latter part of the second half creating chaos defensively, getting the TOs as usual, with run and jump doing its dirt, even on Kuzmanic. 

Titans win:  69-56, probably their signature win of the season.

Jackson 21
McMahon 14
Baltes 11

Tonight, it looked like Shelby Jackson was the league MOP.  If I voted today, I'd vote for Colleen McMahon over Kuzmanic.   Titans did a great job on Kuzmanic tonight and she had a poor game.  Wenzel almost beat the Titans on her own with 24, 'til the big run at the end.  Wenzel and Kuzmanic both with 7 TOs, and the Titans winning the TO battle, staying very close in the rebounding battle.

Give credit to the tough Titan D and pressure.   All seniors starting, so Taylor Reaber most deservedly got the start.  That little energizer bunny Emily Beoletto can play some D.  Give her a lot of credit for this win.  Truly.

Great win for the Titans -- only putting into disappointing relief the loss vs. NCC last Wednesday.

A good way for the Seniors to go out at the Shirk for Seniors' night.  Again warm thanks and kudos to Seibring, Baltes, Jackson, Taylor Reaber and McMahon.

Go get'em guys!

IWU70

Gregory Sager

NPU is really up against it now. The Vikings are in a position in which they not only have to beat Augie in Chicago, but they absolutely have to steal an upset over either Wesleyan in Bloomington or Carthage in Chicago. And even that might not be good enough, given the relatively easy schedule that Elmhurst has left.

North Park is going to look back on this season and wish dearly that it had those two Millikin games back. Both games were lost by the Vikings in the final five seconds.

RogK

Gleaned from the box score of Elmhurst's 75-71 win at Augustana (the Vikings' home finale) :
Fiona 17 pts, 11 rebs; Nikki Moan 10 pts off the bench;
Molly Etheridge was sharp - 28 pts; Marissa Pezzopane 4/5 FG, 4/5 FT.
I saw Wheaton dismember North Central 96-52.
The Thunder came in well-prepared and then used their superior athleticism to execute the game plan. It was not a wonderful day for Wheaton though, as Maris Hovee (off to another fine start with 4 blocks and 5 rebs in 9 min.) suffered what looked a significant knee injury driving to the hoop. She had it iced for a while, but not later on. Good luck to her. Hopefully that wasn't the end of her college career.
Moriah Reeves did very well, with 11 rebs, 3 steals, 3 assists, 7 pts; we don't mention her much, but she's a topnotch athlete and a very smart one.
Katie McDaniels scored 19 to go along with 6 assists. Ellie Zeller had 18 pts, 9 rebs. Maria Panaggio also contributed mucha : 14 pts, 5 rebs, 3 a, 4 blocks.
NC more or less stank. They missed 32 of 36 3FGs and 42 of 55 2FGs. Such pathetic shooting may have set a new CCIW record. They didn't do much else very well at either end of the floor. Wheaton guarded them tightly, but now and then somebody would be open, but passes were sent elsewhere. I recall a couple of instances where Emily Zgoda had no defender anywhere near her and was summarily ignored. Hopefully Coach Roof was not amused by that.
I thought Uzuri Williams was NC's most productive player (12 pts, 6 reb in 17:00). Maryssa Cladis didn't have her usual numbers, but tried hard.
Credit Wheaton with a dominant performance. Best wishes to Ms Hovee.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: RogK on February 16, 2014, 05:14:10 PM
Gleaned from the box score of Elmhurst's 75-71 win at Augustana (the Vikings' home finale) :
Fiona 17 pts, 11 rebs; Nikki Moan 10 pts off the bench;
Molly Etheridge was sharp - 28 pts; Marissa Pezzopane 4/5 FG, 4/5 FT.
I saw Wheaton dismember North Central 96-52.
The Thunder came in well-prepared and then used their superior athleticism to execute the game plan. It was not a wonderful day for Wheaton though, as Maris Hovee (off to another fine start with 4 blocks and 5 rebs in 9 min.) suffered what looked a significant knee injury driving to the hoop. She had it iced for a while, but not later on. Good luck to her. Hopefully that wasn't the end of her college career.
Moriah Reeves did very well, with 11 rebs, 3 steals, 3 assists, 7 pts; we don't mention her much, but she's a topnotch athlete and a very smart one.
Katie McDaniels scored 19 to go along with 6 assists. Ellie Zeller had 18 pts, 9 rebs. Maria Panaggio also contributed mucha : 14 pts, 5 rebs, 3 a, 4 blocks.
NC more or less stank. They missed 32 of 36 3FGs and 42 of 55 2FGs. Such pathetic shooting may have set a new CCIW record. They didn't do much else very well at either end of the floor. Wheaton guarded them tightly, but now and then somebody would be open, but passes were sent elsewhere. I recall a couple of instances where Emily Zgoda had no defender anywhere near her and was summarily ignored. Hopefully Coach Roof was not amused by that.
I thought Uzuri Williams was NC's most productive player (12 pts, 6 reb in 17:00). Maryssa Cladis didn't have her usual numbers, but tried hard.
Credit Wheaton with a dominant performance. Best wishes to Ms Hovee.

Dang!  If NCC had shot even half that bad in Wednesday, the Titans would be tied for the conference lead! :(

iwu70

"We gave them 30 points off TOs.  That's how they win."  CC Coach Benero.

RogK, thanks for the summary, other good achievements and performances in games Saturday.  Hope Ms. Hovee is OK, not a serious injury.  She's a great player, a rebounding machine.  I was surprised how easily WC beat NCC, after having seen what kind of performance NC put on the Titans @Shirk.   A different night, a different result, in the CCIW.

Titans have a big big game now @WC.  Tough to win there -- men too.  Lots on the line for the men.  Hopefully by then, the Titans will have clinched a share of the CCIW regular season crown.  Then, tournament hosting and out-right championship on the line in that final regular season game at King. 

IWU women just have to keep winning, keep grinding it out.  Hopefully CC will slip in the final two games, but I doubt it very much.  Senior night was big, emotional for the Titans and the proud group of IWU seniors wanting that game with great intensity and determination.  Given the number of losses though now, seems the Titans have to win the AQ to play beyond March 1st.  A tall order.  CCIW tournament championship game if CC vs. IWU could be the rubber match for the season, with a lot on the line.

Great season this year, with lots of great games and performances.  Picking All-CCIW teams is very tough.  The quality of the women't game in the CCIW is really extraordinary.  Great to see -- in the long historical trend of things, much due to Title IX and now the commitment of the institutions to women's sports.  An important development for college life, for the conference and overall for the country longer term.  Nothing like this in women's sports in Hong Kong or Asia generally.  Focus here is more on academics, on getting ahead, especially working class kids getting work, career opportunities via higher education to help the family improve their economic lot and get ahead in the longer term.   Interesting contrast of university priorities and educational cultures.

GO TITANS -- keep it rolling.  Great win over Carthage.  Congrats again to all the seniors in the CCIW who dedicated so much time and effort to their athletic and academic careers in college.

IWU70

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: iwu70 on February 16, 2014, 09:57:37 PM
"We gave them 30 points off TOs.  That's how they win."  CC Coach Benero.

RogK, thanks for the summary, other good achievements and performances in games Saturday.  Hope Ms. Hovee is OK, not a serious injury.  She's a great player, a rebounding machine.  I was surprised how easily WC beat NCC, after having seen what kind of performance NC put on the Titans @Shirk.   A different night, a different result, in the CCIW.

Titans have a big big game now @WC.  Tough to win there -- men too.  Lots on the line for the men.  Hopefully by then, the Titans will have clinched a share of the CCIW regular season crown.  Then, tournament hosting and out-right championship on the line in that final regular season game at King. 

IWU women just have to keep winning, keep grinding it out. Hopefully CC will slip in the final two games, but I doubt it very much.  Senior night was big, emotional for the Titans and the proud group of IWU seniors wanting that game with great intensity and determination.  Given the number of losses though now, seems the Titans have to win the AQ to play beyond March 1st.  A tall order.  CCIW tournament championship game if CC vs. IWU could be the rubber match for the season, with a lot on the line.

Great season this year, with lots of great games and performances.  Picking All-CCIW teams is very tough.  The quality of the women't game in the CCIW is really extraordinary.  Great to see -- in the long historical trend of things, much due to Title IX and now the commitment of the institutions to women's sports.  An important development for college life, for the conference and overall for the country longer term.  Nothing like this in women's sports in Hong Kong or Asia generally.  Focus here is more on academics, on getting ahead, especially working class kids getting work, career opportunities via higher education to help the family improve their economic lot and get ahead in the longer term.   Interesting contrast of university priorities and educational cultures.

GO TITANS -- keep it rolling.  Great win over Carthage.  Congrats again to all the seniors in the CCIW who dedicated so much time and effort to their athletic and academic careers in college.

IWU70

Carthage would have to lose BOTH games, since they hold the tie-breaker (they swept Wheaton, the best we can do is split) - that AIN'T gonna happen.  If we win out, and they lose one, we tie for the title, but they still host the tourney.

Why, oh why, couldn't NCC shoot Wednesday like they did Saturday?!

iwu70

Yup, two very different trey shooting performances by NCC, bigtime.  I think vs. WC in the second half NCC was like 1-21 or some such. 

Ypsi, I'm just hoping for a share of the CCIW crown, which I doubt will happen, but one can hope.  Titans have a very tough game @King.  Don't both teams have a chance to sweep Wheaton?  I thought the Titans had a chance to host the tourney if they shared the title with Carthage???  I thought I saw that somewhere on this board or in the Pgraph.  Oh well.  That loss at home to NCC was a killer.  NCC was lights out that night hitting 21+ treys?  Wild. 

Guess we just have to win out -- and beat CC in the rubber match in the CCIW tournament championship game.  Titans must have a lot of confidence after that big win over CC at home.  Great game, especially the last 8+ minutes.

Wishing you'all a big thaw and an early Springtime. 

IWU70

Mr. Ypsi

Mark, you are absolutely correct - I somehow had it in my mind that IWU lost to Wheaton.  Their only losses are to Carthage and NCC; Carthage's only loss is to us.  So if we win out and they lose either game, WE have the tie-breaker (as long as NPU or MIllikin (whoever they lose to) stays above NCC).  I suddenly feel much better! ;D

Though I suspect Carthage will win out.

iwu70

Would be great to get to host the tourney.  Just sad about that NCC loss at home.  I 'm pretty sure CC wins out, but we'll see.  Let's cheer for Greg's group, the NPU women to pin one on Carthage.  Big doubties, but one never knows.  "On any given night in the CCIW . . . "   CC also has a game left with the Big Blue playing at home.

Titans have a very stern test vs. WC at King.  That's going to be a very tough game to win with WC playing well recently.  They took NCC apart, though NCC shot the trey horribly and went down bigtime.  "Live by the three, die . . . "  If Hovee is out with injury, though, that could be a big impact on that game @King.  We'll see on Saturday.  Titans get a few extra days off, time to prepare, catch up on classes etc. as they don't play the make-up game vs. NPU 'til the following Tuesday, after the game away with Wheaton. 

Tournament will be a concluding season test of fitness and endurance, with back-to-back, night-after-night games, Friday-Saturday.  Sure hope it is @The Shirk, not another long long journey up to Cheeseheadlandia.  Loved the way our Titans flustered the Redpeople in the last 8 minutes of that win on Saturday.  Great stuff with run and jump doing its dirt.  I think the Titans are really getting that press finally tuned correctly and working like Coach Mia wants it to work.  Big steals numbers for Baltes and McMahon.  Beoletto seems to be a perfect person at the front of all that, with her quickness, arms flailing about and seemingly a bit out of control.  I love watching her, glad I don't have to dribble against, try to break that press.  Even Kuzmanic got flustered.  Holness does a good job in that D too and has had a good freshman season for the Titans.  All good. 

Will be interesting to see how Mia handles a major rebuilding task for next year with all these seniors, career players going.  She's got some great recruiting news already and one of the recruits is having a banner senior year in HS.  Like a good guard who could play right away in the CCIW.  But, much of the Titans squad, rotation next year will be all new, and pretty inexperienced in varsity CCIW play.  Kasey Reaber, Beoletto and Holness are back.  Gotta recruit some new scorers and paint players/rebounders, for sure. 

I still have hopes the Titans will make the D3 dance, but pretty much a long shot at this point.  Surely need both regular season wins, then 1-1 in the tournament, or win the AQ if at all possible, of course.  Four games to go.

IWU70

iwu70

Congrats to Katie McDaniels on CCIW Player of the week.  As a freshman, she's having a monster year.  Surely she wins "newcomer of the year," in a stroll.

Looking forward to the big game at WC this Saturday.  Any word on Hovee and her injury?

IWU70

iwu70

Carthage at #10 in the new poll, with IWU and WC getting a little voting love in ORVs.

IWU70

gordonmann

I account for the two Wheaton (Ill.) votes and I think I've accounted for most, if not all, of their votes for a couple weeks now. We'll see if they reward my confidence. :)