MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescac1

D3 transfer rules are different.  Baines is eligible to play immediately.  I expect that he will be an impact player in that conference, which is not one of the stronger leagues in D3.

Certainly an unexpected blow to Midd's program -- Midd fans now feel the pain that Hamilton, Tufts, and Williams fans have recently experienced.  Hart and Robinson's transfers pretty much killed Hamilton and Williams, respectively, for the next two years.  But Sabety's transfer may have actually helped Tufts by incentivizing installation of the four-out-one-in system, which has enabled Tufts to thrive in a way it did not with two uber-talented big guys playing together.  So, you never know ...

The only connection I could find between Baines and Occidental hoops is that a current senior at his former high school has committed to play for Occidental next season. 

nescac1

A few other mid-week tidbits.  Check out this great recent Spurs video on Assistant Coach Will Hardy (Williams 2010).  If there is one person in the NBA whose impramtur you want, it's Coach Pop.  Hardy's future is very bright ... http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2017/01/06/1483735057936-will-hardy-feature-web-1100702

In other news, Amherst picked its mascot semifinalists.  I am surprised by how many really cool submissions didn't make the cut.  Most of these seem pretty lame to me (Poets?  Radiance?  Pride?  Purple and White?Octagons?) relative to some of the choices that were out there.  But hey, I doubt Amherst cares what I think!   I'll guess I'll look forward to the Ephs vs. the Octagons next year! 

https://www.amherst.edu/amherst-story/mascot/semifinalists

Gregory Sager

The "Semifinalists Rationale" pdf file is a great read. A lot of it is just college-kid blather or jejune Amherst propaganda, but some of it's pretty amusing.

My question is: If you're going to go with a nickname that contains the school's primary color, why opt for the lame "Purple & White", "Purple", or "Purple Rays"? This was a great opportunity to go for the infinitely cooler "Purple Haze". Aw, move over, Rover, and let Jimi take over!

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

nescac1

I can't believe that Purple Haze, Purple Storm and Purple Frost all missed the cut.  All would have been good.

Gray Fox

Quote from: nescac1 on January 10, 2017, 01:34:56 PM
A few other mid-week tidbits.  Check out this great recent Spurs video on Assistant Coach Will Hardy (Williams 2010).  If there is one person in the NBA whose impramtur you want, it's Coach Pop.  Hardy's future is very bright ... http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2017/01/06/1483735057936-will-hardy-feature-web-1100702

In other news, Amherst picked its mascot semifinalists.  I am surprised by how many really cool submissions didn't make the cut.  Most of these seem pretty lame to me (Poets?  Radiance?  Pride?  Purple and White?Octagons?) relative to some of the choices that were out there.  But hey, I doubt Amherst cares what I think!   I'll guess I'll look forward to the Ephs vs. the Octagons next year! 

Coach Pop is familiar with D3.  He was once head coach at Pomona.  I think he won at least one championship.
Fierce When Roused

Bucket

Quote from: nescac1 on January 10, 2017, 01:27:42 PM
D3 transfer rules are different.  Baines is eligible to play immediately.  I expect that he will be an impact player in that conference, which is not one of the stronger leagues in D3.

Certainly an unexpected blow to Midd's program -- Midd fans now feel the pain that Hamilton, Tufts, and Williams fans have recently experienced.  Hart and Robinson's transfers pretty much killed Hamilton and Williams, respectively, for the next two years.  But Sabety's transfer may have actually helped Tufts by incentivizing installation of the four-out-one-in system, which has enabled Tufts to thrive in a way it did not with two uber-talented big guys playing together.  So, you never know ...

The only connection I could find between Baines and Occidental hoops is that a current senior at his former high school has committed to play for Occidental next season.

Yep, absolutely unexpected, and on the surface it seems like a big blow to the Panthers—whether that turns out to be the case, as you note, remains to be seen. Early returns (4-0 without Zach) seem to indicate that the team has risen to the challenge and has even gotten stronger, playing with a bit of a chip of their collective shoulders, as if to say, "Oh, you think we're not as good now, huh?"

Zach is a terrific talent and a very nice young man, so I have no doubt that his absence is felt. How that absence is dealt with could be something else entirely, and knowing what I know of this group of kids, I wouldn't be surprised if the challenge does make them stronger. Beyond this year, though, is when I think not having Zach in a Panther uniform may be more acutely felt.

It is what it is, and I wish him nothing but the best as he pursues his academic and athletic career elsewhere.

gordonmann

Check out this week's ATR. There's a more tangible connection between Popovich and Williams basketball that at least I didn't know about. And as a big Spurs fan, I love that video.

http://www.d3hoops.com/columns/around-the-region/northeast/2016-17/eastern-connecticut-hungry

And there's a lot to like on that list of mascot semifinalists.  I'd smile when writing stories about 20-25 of those mascots. Do you think the Hamster and Dinosaur options are singular on purpose? Would they really be the Amherst Hamster? Stanford is the Cardinal, but that's a color, right?

All I ask is no Purple or Purple & White (let that be an unofficial nickname) and no Falcons, Hawks or Wolves (boring!).

P'bearfan

QuoteIn other news, Amherst picked its mascot semifinalists.  I am surprised by how many really cool submissions didn't make the cut.  Most of these seem pretty lame to me (Poets?  Radiance?  Pride?  Purple and White?Octagons?) relative to some of the choices that were out there.  But hey, I doubt Amherst cares what I think!   I'll guess I'll look forward to the Ephs vs. the Octagons next year! 

I'll make a sizable donation to Amherst's endowment if they will pick either  "Dinosaur" or "Hamster".  I can already envision students from opposing schools beating up Barney piñatas...or...well, umm... we won't go there.   

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I don't think this needs to be said, but in case it does: he can play right away because he transferred between semesters.  If he had already played during a semester, he would have to sit out until the next.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

jumpshot

Too late for an internal choice. The silly origin and length of this absurd process has resulted in being forever known as the plague. Only remaining possible salvation reduced to hamster, as suggested by a student.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 10, 2017, 06:32:13 PM

I don't think this needs to be said, but in case it does: he can play right away because he transferred between semesters.  If he had already played during a semester, he would have to sit out until the next.

A question I'd never considered before: schools generally play several games between semesters - for those games, is the transfer eligible at his old school, his new school, or neither?

quicksilver

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 10, 2017, 11:28:54 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 10, 2017, 06:32:13 PM

A question I'd never considered before: schools generally play several games between semesters - for those games, is the transfer eligible at his old school, his new school, or neither?

He is eligible at his new school.

Old Guy

Baines's defection shows how uncertain all of our speculations and assumptions can be. I am dismayed because I so looked forward to watching his development at Midd. He had a tremendous "upside" (the cliche of the moment). A special player. From all reports he was a happy camper and a good teammate and student. We do genuinely wish him well (and if we are honest are glad that we don't have to face him wearing other colors).

On many levels, he will be missed. I have experienced Midd basketball for a half-century (amh63 is older!) and can't remember an era when the loss of a talent of Zach's caliber could be absorbed without devastating consequences. Midd's depth has provided an opportunity for others to emerge (Tarantino & Folger). 

Midd has a challenging weekend coming up - Tufts in Medford on Friday night and Bates in cozy Alumni Gym on Saturday afternoon. I'm off to Lewiston on Friday! Midd fans are blessed in hoop with this group.

Old Guy

Just surfing, noticed that Colby knocked UMaine Fort Kent. Anybody on this board ever been to Fort Kent? It's the northernmost town in Maine. It's up there, 250 miles NORTH of Waterville, Maine, 4 1/2 hour drive. Patrick Stewart had 36 points for Colby(nothingbutnescac loves to show a pic of Patrick Stewart of Star Trek). Fort Kent is 15-3. Quick look at their roster showed six players from California, another from Phoenix, London, Rhodes, Greece. Think they visited before enrolling? Makes me cold just thinking about it. I grew up in Maine (Lewiston), which is Boca Raton by comparison.

P'bearfan

QuoteJust surfing, noticed that Colby knocked UMaine Fort Kent. Anybody on this board ever been to Fort Kent? It's the northernmost town in Maine. It's up there, 250 miles NORTH of Waterville, Maine, 4 1/2 hour drive. Patrick Stewart had 36 points for Colby(nothingbutnescac loves to show a pic of Patrick Stewart of Star Trek). Fort Kent is 15-3. Quick look at their roster showed six players from California, another from Phoenix, London, Rhodes, Greece. Think they visited before enrolling? Makes me cold just thinking about it. I grew up in Maine (Lewiston), which is Boca Raton by comparison.

Regardless of how well they play, I'd say UMFK's coach is the best recruiter in the country.