MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on March 17, 2019, 07:44:34 PM
Quote from: BobbyO on March 17, 2019, 07:39:47 PM
Now that the season is over, I was wondering who will be the Lead Dog for 19-20 both CCIW and National.  Augustana appears to not be the favorite.  Ebel's replacement now is Jack Jelen.  I am not impressed with him and I do not see the leadership and drive from him.  Orange's replacement is unknown but might be Austin Elledge who can shoot and play defense but can he be the quiet leader.  Brett Benning may be the hardest one to replace, hopefully there will be some growing up from the reserves or a new recruit.

It will be Wofford's team to lead.

I don't know about the other schools and would like to see your opinions.

Good Luck Coach G this week!

Freshman PG Jack McDonald (currently at Geneva HS) could win that starting PG job...he seems to be a big-time recruit.

Saw McDonald play 3x this year and first saw him back in his sophomore season on varsity.
The fact is he could have started for some college teams this year. I will be very surprised if he isn't Augie's starting PG next year. Might not be ready to start the first game, but should take over the position fairly quickly. I don't see a returning guard better than him. Based on PT this season, it would appear Jelen & Kellen are Augie's top returnees at the guard spot. I think McDonald will have it all over both of them. He is super on the dribble drive. and is an exquisite passer. He can carve an opponent up. It's completely within the realm of possibility that he will lead the conference in assists and A/TO ratio before he is through. At this point, he is not quite the shooter Ebel is but he is certainly above average. And remember, Ebel is four years older. How did Ebel shoot it as a freshman?
Defensively, he isn't as quick as Orange, but who is? He certainly isn't slow. Also, I think he is only 5/10 or 5/11 so some opponents are going to be able to shoot over him.
In summary, this is a top tier D3 recruit. A pass first true PG who rates a grade of A as far as decision making goes. When you combine his current level of talent with his future further development, I think he is a future certain all-conference player, probable all-region, and AA achievement would not be a surprise at all.

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on March 17, 2019, 07:47:39 PM
Seems like North Central is the favorite next year.

The 23-6 Cardinals would have lost 3 seniors, but only one made it to the end of the season without sustaining a season ending injury. So, Tommy Koth will be the only senior who finished the season who will be lost to graduation.
Between returners and recruits they need one or two guys to step up and provide reliable bench strength/depth, and develop into regular members of the rotation, and they could use an injection of serviceable height.  ;D

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on March 17, 2019, 11:21:10 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on March 17, 2019, 07:44:34 PM
Quote from: BobbyO on March 17, 2019, 07:39:47 PM
Now that the season is over, I was wondering who will be the Lead Dog for 19-20 both CCIW and National.  Augustana appears to not be the favorite.  Ebel's replacement now is Jack Jelen.  I am not impressed with him and I do not see the leadership and drive from him.  Orange's replacement is unknown but might be Austin Elledge who can shoot and play defense but can he be the quiet leader.  Brett Benning may be the hardest one to replace, hopefully there will be some growing up from the reserves or a new recruit.

It will be Wofford's team to lead.

I don't know about the other schools and would like to see your opinions.

Good Luck Coach G this week!

Freshman PG Jack McDonald (currently at Geneva HS) could win that starting PG job...he seems to be a big-time recruit.

Saw McDonald play 3x this year and first saw him back in his sophomore season on varsity.
The fact is he could have started for some college teams this year. I will be very surprised if he isn't Augie's starting PG next year. Might not be ready to start the first game, but should take over the position fairly quickly. I don't see a returning guard better than him. Based on PT this season, it would appear Jelen & Kellen are Augie's top returnees at the guard spot. I think McDonald will have it all over both of them. He is super on the dribble drive. and is an exquisite passer. He can carve an opponent up. It's completely within the realm of possibility that he will lead the conference in assists and A/TO ratio before he is through. At this point, he is not quite the shooter Ebel is but he is certainly above average. And remember, Ebel is four years older. How did Ebel shoot it as a freshman?
Defensively, he isn't as quick as Orange, but who is? He certainly isn't slow. Also, I think he is only 5/10 or 5/11 so some opponents are going to be able to shoot over him.
In summary, this is a top tier D3 recruit. A pass first true PG who rates a grade of A as far as decision making goes. When you combine his current level of talent with his future further development, I think he is a future certain all-conference player, probable all-region, and AA achievement would not be a surprise at all.

I've been hearing about McDonald all year, and how great he is. But you two are overlooking Luke Johnson. All he did in high school was lead his team to a state championship while making every All-State team that there is in Colorado. Augie beat out a whole bunch of other schools to land him, too. He's got a year's experience on McDonald, and in addition to all of his JV minutes he also got some garbage time in seven varsity games this season.

Chris and Dan mentioned Johnson several times on this season's Augie broadcasts, always citing his high-school c.v. and the fact that the Augie coaches are very high on him.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

GoPerry

Congratulations on this very prestigious honor for Aston Francis, and Wheaton College, being named D3Hoops Player of the Year by Coleman and Co(the experts).  I guess to some this was a foregone conclusion and I knew he'd be a strong and deserving candidate.  But I recall being very confident 10 years ago (as were others I think) about another Wheaton player receiving that high honor and being disappointed when the award went to a different deserving player.  But this year no such disappointment and I think it's very gratifying for Thunder fans that Francis received this recognition.  In a long history of great CCIW players, Francis and the astonishing Stevie D are terrific league representatives for this accolade. 

This caps off simply an extraordinary year for Thunder basketball. 

Glad to see Connor Raridon, Nolan Ebel and Brady Rose recognized as well - all of them extraordinary competitors.

Wishing Coach G a smooth procedure and even smoother recovery.  Looking forward to seeing him on the bench in 8 months!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: GoPerry on March 18, 2019, 12:27:11 PM
Wishing Coach G a smooth procedure and even smoother recovery.  Looking forward to seeing him on the bench in 8 months!

Oh, you'll see him in the coach's box, sure enough. And, knowing Grey Giovanine, you'll probably see him outside of it from time to time as well. But I doubt that you'll see much of him on the bench. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwumichigander

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 18, 2019, 12:46:51 PM
Quote from: GoPerry on March 18, 2019, 12:27:11 PM

Oh, you'll see him in the coach's box, sure enough. And, knowing Grey Giovanine, you'll probably see him outside of it from time to time as well. But I doubt that you'll see much of him on the bench. ;)
Sort of low blow Greg!

Gregory Sager

All I meant was that he's never sat in his chair much in the past, and I don't envision him changing his style when he returns.

He's always either squatted down in front of the bench, or stalked (and occasionally danced) in front of it.

kiko

So a question for the more tenured posters on this board...

We just completed a season ending in '9'.  If you had to build a CCIW all-decade team using the same parameters as the annual all-conference team (eight first teamers, eight second teamers, MOP, etc.), who would be your selections?  The era in question is 2009-10 through 2018-19.

kiko

Final poll is out.

https://d3hoops.com/top25/men/2018-19/final

Augie at #4
Wheaton at #6
North Central at #17
Illinois Wesleyan in ORV.

Augie and Whitman (#5) were the two non-final four schools that finished above the Wheaties, and it looks like Swarthmore was three votes shy of unanimous for #2.

USee

So The Thunder go from ORV (ostensibly 31st) to 6th. Is that one of the biggest jump in the polls on record?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: USee on March 18, 2019, 11:17:25 PM
So The Thunder go from ORV (ostensibly 31st) to 6th. Is that one of the biggest jump in the polls on record?

Last year Ramapo went from zero votes (ostensibly 43rd) to 6th.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: USee on March 18, 2019, 11:17:25 PM

Probably ONE of the biggest, but just last year NebWes went from the equivalent of #26 to unanimous #1.  And Springfield went from zero votes to #4.

mwunder

Quote from: kiko on March 18, 2019, 09:30:19 PM

We just completed a season ending in '9'.  If you had to build a CCIW all-decade team using the same parameters as the annual all-conference team (eight first teamers, eight second teamers, MOP, etc.), who would be your selections?  The era in question is 2009-10 through 2018-19.

1st Team:
Ashton Francis, Wheaton 
Steve Djurickovic, Carthage
Juwan Henry, North Park 
Derek Rairdon, North Central
Tim McCrary, Wheaton
Hunter Hill, Augustana
Alex Sorenson, North Central
Landon Gamble, North Central

Second team would be a lot more difficult, but I think a good start would include Malcolm Kelly, Tyler Peters, Connor Rairdon, Doug Sexauer, Dylan Overstreet, Brady Rose, Nolan Ebel, Kyle Nelson, and Chrishawn Orange.

GoPerry

Quote from: mwunder on March 19, 2019, 11:28:12 AM

1st Team:
Ashton Francis, Wheaton 
Juwan Henry, North Park 
Tim McCrary, Wheaton
Hunter Hill, Augustana

Second team would be a lot more difficult, but I think a good start would include Malcolm Kelly, Tyler Peters, Connor Rairdon, Doug Sexauer, Dylan Overstreet, Brady Rose, Nolan Ebel, Kyle Nelson, and Chrishawn Orange.

Decent list, but no Jordan Robinson is a pretty large omission seems to me.  Probably a first teamer or high second.

mwunder

Quote from: GoPerry on March 19, 2019, 12:08:02 PM
Quote from: mwunder on March 19, 2019, 11:28:12 AM

1st Team:
Ashton Francis, Wheaton 
Juwan Henry, North Park 
Tim McCrary, Wheaton
Hunter Hill, Augustana

Decent list, but no Jordan Robinson is a pretty large omission seems to me.  Probably a first teamer or high second.

You're right....at work and didn't do as much digging as I would have liked.  I'd take Kelly off the list and add Robinson in hind-sight.