WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dballa

I don't know how old Schreiner's is but I think by 2008 they are suppose to have an all new athletic facility if they get the funds raised.  They have diagrams on their website which looks like it will be a nice facility.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: inthepaint on January 18, 2006, 12:34:23 AM
That's why you're our hero around here, Ralph.  You actually remember things back in the Nixon administration!   ;)

That is because I went thru college avoiding both "leaf" and "fermented grain"! :D :D :D

dballa

inthepaint that was the bad thing about playing HSU and McM this weekend though with the students gone and a lot of other local HPU fans at the Brown County Youth Fair.  It just didn't seem like the typical home crowd.  I think the fans were about even for Saturday's games against HSU and for Thursday's game against McM there was a decent crowd but not the rowdy one with students...

It should be fun going to Abilene because a lot of HPU fans will be making the trip and there will definitely be a lot of HSU and McM fans at the games.

It's just a disappointment that the conference tournament will probably be at MC this year and a lot of West Division fans won't be able to make the trip.

Oh and on the karma points I went from 11 to 5 in less than a week...so I feel no pain for ya :) haha

inthepaint

Quote from: dballa on January 18, 2006, 12:51:22 AM
and on the karma points I went from 11 to 5 in less than a week...so I feel no pain for ya :) haha

I have never even seen the light of day on a karma ranking of 11!  You and the Lady Jackets have had a tough week!

You will have to take all of my posts with a grain of salt because, unlike Ralph, I killed so many brain cells in the '70's that I really can't be responsible for what I post here. 

mcmfan

Dballa simply confirms my point.  I suspect McM and HSU both escaped a bullet by playing in the Mausoleum before the students got back, which gave the away teams less of a disadvantage than they normally would have had.  And it remains to be seen whether HPU's low shooting average at those two games is the start of a treand or just a fluke.  It is still a long season.

Incidentally, how do you get these famous karma points?
Alacumba!

Ralph Turner

dballa

mcmfan, on this board you gain karma points from inthepaint by saying good things about HSU and lose them by saying negative things :)

But like you said i'm hoping those two games were just a fluke and a couple poor games that they got out of their system and are ready to go the rest of the way.  It sure makes for some better basketball to watch when both teams are playing well.  It definitely makes fans want to attend the games.

Ralph Turner

I want an ASC team, preferably McMurry, to win it all!  That way everyone in the country will know that we play great basketball in Texas.

Trinity has shown it and won it all.  McMurry defeated Trinity that next December.

HSU has been so close so often, leading everyone to think that the ASC is a "one-trick pony".

We need another team, and I volunteer McMurry, or HPU or MissColl or someone else to win it all.  Very few teams see us play.  It will take national wins (Final Four)  so everyone will know how good we are.

As for karma, I would appreciate some lurkers from other schools giving their honest assessments about the games that they saw.

It is not fair to smite someone for good natured boosterism that does not belittle or "diss" another team.  We should applaud serious discussions of the games that we see or follow on the net/radio.  Smiting should be saved for truly tasteless, unsportsmanlike or undignifiedly ignorant statements.

dballa

Ralph the good thing about this year is that both McMurry and HPU are really young.  HPU only loses Sr after this year and she's not getting all that much playing time.  McMurry I think has a pretty young core as well.  I don't know about the rest of the conference but if these teams continue to improve it's very possible to go deep in the playoffs, if not this year then next year is looking very bright. 

inthepaint

Quote from: dballa on January 18, 2006, 12:03:40 PM
mcmfan, on this board you gain karma points from inthepaint by saying good things about HSU and lose them by saying negative things :)

That is not true at all!  I am deeply offended and if I had not already applauded you this morning, Dballa, I would be smiting you right now!  ;)  I have to wait 18 hours before I can act.  Fear not, however, as i will surely calm down by then!  I think your post about my karma practice was a Freudian slip, my dear brother!  You may have just revealed your personal approach to the giving and taking away of karma points.  Speak well of HPU, gain karma; Speak ill of our beloved Jackets, lost karma.

I give karma points to people who make strong points and communicate them well.  A karma point is basically an affirmation of a post and there are many opportunities to give "good karma."  For an example just look at Ralph's karma ranking.  The boy always makes excellent points backed by fact, not feeling, and people say "Amen" to him via "good karma."

Ralph is my mentor and, as you can see by my posts, I always make excellent points backed by fact, never feeling.  Feel free to slap some good karma on me, brothers!

Ralph Turner

Paint is right about the postings that we see from our loyal and cordial group of fans.

I appreciate getting game reports from other fans.  Messages will make or break the quality of fan support that we have around the conference.

D3Hoops.com is a big plus for our brand of basketball, and I maintain that we have as good or better fan support than most of the Lone Star Conference schools.

Where are we likely to get great recruits?  By convincing them that their experience at our ASC school will be better than any place else they can play, NAIA, D2, D1 or whatever! ;)

This resource may persuade some high school kid that she likes what she sees in D3 and in the ASC!

inthepaint

I confess that I don't know enough about all of the school that make up the ASC.  I do know that any student would do well to attend HPU, HSU, McM, UMHB, or Austin College.  Now, before any fans of other schools wig out here, I confess that I don't know about your schools.  They may be every bit as good as the ones I listed.  I just know that when a student or parents tells me of their connection with any of the schools I listed I can say with complete confidence that they made a great choice!

Student/athletes who attend these D-III schools get an outstanding education and the chance to play basketball at a level that many would not believe exists at a non-scholarship program.  Ralph is right, our future strength demands that we keep this word out there and I am thankful for D3hoops.com, a marvelous means by which the programs can be promoted.  Thanks!

fanstand

I will be glad to be home tomorrow night and hope McM has had a good week. I think HPU will bounce back this week. They are a young team, and lost some talent last year and are looking for that "team" chemistry I think. Their defense has been their strength, and I would bet they have worked on their offense all week. I think the West will take three strong teams to MC for the tourney and the East will have the pressure to out do the West. Coach Nichols was on a local TV station earlier in the week and said he wanted to avoid the 2 "S's". Selfishness and softness, so I know he is working the girls hard this week.  I think they are focused so lets move to 15-0 tomorrow ladies. Keep smiling.

dsc

[quote author=Ralph Turner

HSU has been so close so often, leading everyone to think that the ASC is a "one-trick pony".

We need another team, and I volunteer McMurry, or HPU or MissColl or someone else to win it all.  Very few teams see us play. 

RT, anyone else, who beats out HSU is welcome...and whoever it is, I hope they do better than HSU has...however, I'm not sure HSU has been only a "one-trick" pony, ... they have carried the ASC banner quite well when they did get in the playoffs.  HSU has had some great players and may have done even better, if there had been greater depth...but IMHO, they have been more than a "one-trick" pony!  I'm not trying to start an argument, just giving credit due.....where it is warranted.   ...and I realize you said, "ASC may be a one-trick pony..."...I just wanted to give my two-cents from another HSU fan's perspective!

Go Cowgirls!!!  (I hope you have more "tricks" up your sleeves!)

HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

dsc

BTW, speaking of "young" teams.  HSU's roster shows only one senior...Sonya West-TR.  Sonya has played great  and has been a tremendous asset, but HSU has also won without her in some games...due to a back ailment.

So, there should be some excellent teams in the ASC for the near future!

Go ASC!!!
HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.