MBB: Commonwealth Conference

Started by Warren Thompson, March 16, 2005, 05:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollingthunda

Yeaaaa college hoops.  Yo, HoopsE8...time for a name change...maybe...HoopsDaFin203?...I like the sound of that.

I think it will be another interesting year in the MAC Commonwealth.  I'm interested to see how the Blue Jays will shake out minus the 8 seniors from last year.  They have one of the best coaches a team could find, so I'm sure they will be right in the thick of things again.

On a closing note...where is bossman.  You are truely missed big guy!!

btorr12

Hmm...HoopsDaFin203 huh? I don't know, it just might have to happen. Anyway, it should be another interesting season in the Com Con. I'd like to hear everybody's predicted order of finish. I know it's early, but it would be interesting to look back and see if anybody is a psychic. Hopefully this year we can stay sane on this board and not have people yelling other people's handles at conference games (I found that mighty funny that a middle aged man got upset enough over this board to do that). Hey rollingthunda, i typed this message at a medium pace.

Coach C

Some thoughts for all the Commonwealth people:

This seems to be a league in play this year.  Several teams seem to have enough to compete for the automatic bid.    Does anyone want to go out on a limb an name the 4 playoff teams?  Is there a sleeper?

Warren - how will the LVC Guernseys errr Dutchmen be this year?  Albright seems ready again.  Widener may be poised to return to the fray.

C
Any thoughts?

Coach C

You should be happy that I knew one kind of cow.  (I am assuming a Jersey is a cow and not the locale from whence a recruit originated.)

Tim Flynn

Coach C:

No doubt the Commonwealth is in play somewhat. You're talking about a conference that is now depleted of its top players - nine of ten all-conference players graduated (Deeter's the only one back). That, to me, makes it more exciting. Who's going to step up? Who's the next big name? It's neat to see a conference turn over all at once like this. It should be a fun season.

I think the top spot is Albright's to lose. They, to me, seem to have lost the least (not that Gallagher's graduation won't hurt), and I have a feeling that's what it comes down to this year. Their bench production put them over the top in the title game last year, and the depth should still be there. Albright's still loaded - and they've only got two seniors. Scary.

Of the other three 04-05 playoff teams, LVC loses nearly a half of its offensive production in just two starters (Byers and Buzinski accounted for 33.9 points per game last year) and a key reserve in Orr. Thankfully, the freshman class is chock full of guards and they get Kasyan back. It could be worse.

E-town loses four of five starters and eight seniors overall. God knows what they can pull out, but if anybody can do it, Schlosser can. Messiah loses two guys that were 10+ points per game, but I consistantly got the feeling last year that they were overachieving.

Widener was right there, and it seems like it was just Clarkson's injury that really impaired their post play down the stretch and caused them to miss out. They'll be a playoff team.

Moravian, Susquehanna, Juniata? Well, try and enjoy your last remaining seasons in the MAC, fellas.

So my order? I agree with the coaches' poll. Albright runs away with it, followed by Widener, LVC, and Messiah. In a shocker, and only after Warren performs an ancient Pa. Dutch ritual involving a goat, a buggy, and a bologna, the Dutchmen beat Widener in Chester for the first time since the Carter administration, in quintuple overtime. Albright, fresh off their 115-56 semifinal win against Messiah in the Bollman "Our PA System Goes to 11" Center, repeats as champs after a tired and deafened LVC squad can't hear each other after the starting line-ups.

Coach C

Tim -

I guess that scenario is as likely as Susquehanna winning the title in their last MAC season.

C

d3sthebest

did walter fowler graduate from susquehannaa?

d3sthebest

also curious if will sieller is playing this year

Tim Flynn

That's good to hear Warren. Kyle Enoch, also, was a three-point machine at Hempfield. He led the L-L Section One in treys last year (47). Averaged 15 ppg and was a 77% free-throw shooter.

I hope to make it to the game on Sunday. Can't wait to see some D-III ball again.

Warren Thompson

FINAL:

Randolph-Macon 68, LVC 57.

A good game for the Valley v. #18 and nothing to be ashamed of. It was far from the blowout many Macon fans might have expected  (and I feared). Brad's players were well-prepared, played tough defense, and made the Yellowjackets work hard for the win.

Wansley was the well-earned tourney MVP.

Coach C

Warren -

Still the same 'clog up the middle and bash the heck out of opponents' offense from LVC?

C

Coach C

Well good!  With all of the motion offenses out there, it is good to know that LVC is holding true to its standard!

C

Coach C

W -

I meant that the LVC defense was good against motion.

C

diplomaniac1

Warren -

I didn't get a chance to travel to Annville last evening and I haven't seen F&M play since the opening game of the Spounagle Tournament. Did you see the game and do you any observations to offer about my young Diplomat squad? How are the Dutchmen developing? Please advise. Thanks.

Eric

swish

Anybody want to take a stab at this question. Who was the better player - Mike Rhoades or JD Byers? I saw Byers play but never Rhoades. I obviously never saw Panko play but my impression from what I have seen on this board is that he was the best ever at LVC  hands down. Is that accurate?