MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugenerd

Quote from: remsleep on May 11, 2009, 11:29:01 PM
I am admittedly short on detail here, but I can tell you that my "sources" indicate that although MIT seems to have done fairly well in the recruiting process this Spring, it is Wheaton that has come up with a stacked incoming class in the NEWMAC...including a 7-footer in the post...we'll see how it all plays out next winter.   Was stated to me that Amherst, Wesleyan and Wheaton came out on top in New England D3 in terms of best recruiting classes this Spring.    Anyone care to comment with more specifics than I am able to offer?

So checking New England Recruiting Report, Wheaton appears to have 4 recruits listed, including the 6'11" Michael Hall from St. John's Prep, who I believe you spoke of.  They are also getting a 6'6" Forward and a couple 6'3" wing players.  If I have the correct Michael Hall, he is also listed on Rivals, which is pretty impressive.

I think if you are talking to people in New England, I think it is hard to accurately compare recruiting classes because people tend to only be familiar with local players.  The 3 schools you listed look like they have the 3 best incoming classes in d3, if you only consider players coming in from new england, but I think that is because outside talent isnt being accurately judged.  I think Williams has an exceptional class coming in with a few players from outside the region (as well as some from in the region), as well as MIT (who only has really one player who played in NE last year, their other 6 or so recruits are from out of the region). 

jamiejohn

The Hall kid didnt even start for his high school team last year.

massd3fan

It will be interesting to see how these new big guys fair in the conference.  I saw very, very little in coaching style or on court ability to actually take advantage of low post mis-matches in the games I saw last season.
Most of the guards in this league have serious trouble making the lob entry to a big who is being fronted.

I think it's a stretch to say any big guy will dominate this conference, let alone all of D3 until we find out if his teammates understand how & when to get the ball into proper position in the low post.

I would enjoy seeing the low post game being developed more across the board in D3.  It seems to be it has become a lost art form in general.  Of course there is always the arguement of how much has the 3-ptr changed the game and taken away from more consistent low post play.  I for one feel the very best teams usually have a good balance between the two.

Hugenerd

Quote from: massd3fan on May 12, 2009, 07:53:24 AM
It will be interesting to see how these new big guys fair in the conference.  I saw very, very little in coaching style or on court ability to actually take advantage of low post mis-matches in the games I saw last season.
Most of the guards in this league have serious trouble making the lob entry to a big who is being fronted.

I think it's a stretch to say any big guy will dominate this conference, let alone all of D3 until we find out if his teammates understand how & when to get the ball into proper position in the low post.

I would enjoy seeing the low post game being developed more across the board in D3.  It seems to be it has become a lost art form in general.  Of course there is always the arguement of how much has the 3-ptr changed the game and taken away from more consistent low post play.  I for one feel the very best teams usually have a good balance between the two.

I guess the word "dominate" may have been a little strong.  I was thinking more relative to what MIT has gotten out of their post play in the past, and this years class is definitely a step up from previous years in true post men.  I guess we will have to wait and see how they do, but Coach Anderson definitely knows how to utilize his bigs, unfortunately he just hasnt had many to work with over the last few years.

Hugenerd

I hear Wheaton's top 2 recruits (Hall and Cliff D) had some d1 interest and Hall is a legit 7-footer, but his game isnt as developed as his height.  Cliff D., their 6'7" recruit from Taft is a very strong aggressive kid, as is their 6'3" recruit from Brimmer and May.  Those 3 could be the starting 3, 4 and 5 for Wheaton next year, although Wheaton returns two seniors, Leo and Stehle, who started 22/ 26 and 26/26 games last year in those spots, so Coach Walmsley appears to have some options.  The 4th kid from Wilbraham & Monson is apparently a good shooter, so he will probably be a back up to Coppola, with Sasso the likely starting point guard.

nescac1

Basically, what hugenerd said.  From what I've heard Wesleyan has a large (at least seven guys, likely more) and absolutely stacked class, but some of the best players in the class (Sha Brown in particular) are actually from outside New England.  Even taking just the New England guys, Wesleyan has one of the best and deepest classes in the region.  Wesleyan should be a consistent regional contender within two years at this rate -- no surpise, as no way Reilly takes that job without some assurance about institutional commitment to improving the talent on campus. 

Williams has a very strong group, although zero guys from New England so far as I know.  But they have a pair of guards coming in (Klemm and Robertson) each with potential to be impact players early in their careers, three swingmen (at least two of whom have potential to contribute as early as sophomore year), and one big guy who may be more of a project.   Four of the six guys are from west of the Mississippi which is pretty unusual. 

Amherst has a loaded class coming in, but they generally clean up in region.  This year in particular though - seven well-regarded New England recruits, not too shabby.  Brandeis seems unusually quiet but maybe they are bringing in more guys from out of New England. 

With MIT, it does seem like most of their best players are from outside the region so hard to compare to guys like the Wheaton trio. The Brown transfer sounds impressive, although just being from D-I is no guarantee.  Coulibaly at Amherst got a lot more PT at Brown than this kid, and he never really made an impact in NESCAC despite a huge amount of hype.  That being said, not everyday that a two star national recruit ends up in D-III, so you figure he has the talent to do some big things early. 

As for Wheaton, some impressive forwards to complement their already loaded backcourt.   Anyone 6'11 with potential to contribute early will usually get snagged by D-I, so I'd imagine Hall is a big project (literally and figuratively).  But Wheaton I think may be most improved team in NEWMAC next year -- they graduate basically no major contributors, and have brought in loaded classes two of the last three years.  They are now a veteran team and if they play to their potential could easily win the conference. 

tball

Mitchell Kates is Ranked 145 by NERR, highest for a  NEWMAC recruit and higher than all but one of Amherst's recruits

Should be a good one at a need position, he was very productive at Exeter

Hugenerd

Quote from: tball on May 13, 2009, 11:59:08 AM
Mitchell Kates is Ranked 145 by NERR, highest for a  NEWMAC recruit and higher than all but one of Amherst's recruits

Should be a good one at a need position, he was very productive at Exeter

I saw Kates play in person recently and he is very good.

Interestingly, the highest ranked player by NERR who is going d3 is going to the GNAC (Albertus Magnus).  Check out the GNAC board for the link to that player.

Hugenerd

CGA's coach, Pete Barry, retired after 19 seasons.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables

Hugenerd

Hugenerd

Article in the current issue of Technology Review (usually a research magazine, but is published by MIT) about the 2009 MIT basketball team:

http://www.technologyreview.com/article/22827/

Hugenerd

Bartolotta played in a 8-team tourney in Italy last week with a Serie A (top division) team that made it to that league's semifinals last year.  He scored 14 points in 3 games playing with some ex-nba players, former d1 players, and some top Italian talent.  Release from MIT is here:

http://mitathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/061609aaa.html

Also mentions it here:

http://www.masshightech.com/blog/tag/jimmy-bartolotta/

I believe Bartolotta now holds duel citizenship.

lefrakenstein

Quote from: hugenerd on June 25, 2009, 08:44:17 PM

I believe Bartolotta now holds duel citizenship.

He probably holds dual citizenship, unless, you know, his citizenships plan to fight to the death to defend their honor or something.

Sorry, I usually wouldn't say anything, but the off season gets boring.

Hugenerd

Pat,

Just noticed that MIT's schedule was posted.  One question, you have MIT playing Clark 3 times, including back-to-back days at Clark on Jan 15-16.  Although it is possible that MIT would play a team 3 times, all 3 games are also marked as conference games, which I believe is not possible (NEWMAC has a double round robin format), so if it were true that they were playing 3 times, one would have to not count towards the conference standings.  Do you know what I am missing here?

Hugenerd

I figured out the error in MITs schedule.  MIT does not play Clark on Jan. 15.  They instead play Harvard on December 28.  MITs link is here:

http://mitathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/mit-m-baskbl-sched.html

It will be interesting how the young squad performs this year, especially against a d1 team.