WBB: NEWMAC

Started by Renaissance Coach, December 02, 2004, 06:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEHoopsFan

Looking at some of the schedules for the teams in the NEWMAC it looks like there are some good games lined up.  Looks to me that some of the top teams are playing tougher competition to help them possibly get an at-large bid if they don't win the Newmac.  MIT really has a tough schedule with Chicago and Bowdoin.
Smith
•   #46? TCNJ 12/30
•   Middlebury 1/15
MIT
•   #7 University of Chicago – Lost by 9 but was close the entire game. Was up by 11 in 2nd quarter.
•   #2 Bowdoin 11/25
•   #46? TCNJ 12/29
•   Wesleyan University 1/29
WPI
•   #6 Tufts 1/22
Babson
•   #6 Tufts 2/6
Springfield
•   #6 Tufts – blown out 89-51
•   Middlebury – Lost by 6, outscored Middlebury in second half 40-30
Coast guard
•   UMass Dartmouth – Lost 85-67
Emerson
•   #6 Tufts 12/11

NEHoopsFan

Quote from: NEHoopsFan on November 19, 2018, 03:14:35 PM
Smith
•   #46? TCNJ 12/30
•   Middlebury 1/15
MIT
•   #7 University of Chicago – Lost by 9 but was close the entire game. Was up by 11 in 2nd quarter.
•   #2 Bowdoin 11/25
•   #46? TCNJ 12/29
WPI
•   #6 Tufts 1/22
Babson
•   #6 Tufts 2/6
Springfield
Coast guard
Emerson
•   #6 Tufts 12/11

I left two of Babsons games off the list, so update is below..
Smith
•   #46? TCNJ 12/30
•   Middlebury 1/15
MIT
•   #2 Bowdoin 11/25
•   #46? TCNJ 12/29
WPI
•   #6 Tufts 1/22
Babson
•   #28 Baldwin Wallace - Lost 66-52
• #31 Rochester - Won 58-48 Ouimette with 20 rebounds
•   #6 Tufts 2/6
Springfield
Coast guard
Emerson
•   #6 Tufts 12/11

Granted, the strength of schedule will not be known until we close in on the end of the season, but I am curious what it will take for one of these teams to get an at large bid.

ronk

Quote from: NEHoopsFan on November 20, 2018, 10:44:39 AM
Quote from: NEHoopsFan on November 19, 2018, 03:14:35 PM
Smith
•   #46? TCNJ 12/30
•   Middlebury 1/15
MIT
•   #2 Bowdoin 11/25
•   #46? TCNJ 12/29
WPI
•   #6 Tufts 1/22
Babson
•   #6 Tufts 2/6
Springfield
Coast guard
Emerson
•   #6 Tufts 12/11

I left two of Babsons games off the list, so update is below..
Smith
•   #46? TCNJ 12/30
•   Middlebury 1/15
MIT
•   #2 Bowdoin 11/25
•   #46? TCNJ 12/29
WPI
•   #6 Tufts 1/22
Babson
•   #28 Baldwin Wallace - Lost 66-52
• #31 Rochester - Won 58-48 Ouimette with 20 rebounds
•   #6 Tufts 2/6
Springfield
Coast guard
Emerson
•   #6 Tufts 12/11

Granted, the strength of schedule will not be known until we close in on the end of the season, but I am curious what it will take for one of these teams to get an at large bid.

Generally, at least 20 wins, SOS of .54, 5 or more results vrro puts you in the running.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

That's not a fair representation, ronk.

- WL% of .700 or better (20 wins isn't a good barometer; 17/18 or more wins is a good start on 25 game schedules).
- SOS above .500, preferably .520 or higher (that's a significant difference than .540).
- vRRO needs to include good teams, not just teams in the bottom third of any region - and not all resumes are created equal. We've had teams make the tournament with less than 5 games and we have seen teams left out with more than 5 games. It is about the quality, not quantity.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 20, 2018, 08:56:27 PM
That's not a fair representation, ronk.

- WL% of .700 or better (20 wins isn't a good barometer; 17/18 or more wins is a good start on 25 game schedules).
- SOS above .500, preferably .520 or higher (that's a significant difference than .540).
- vRRO needs to include good teams, not just teams in the bottom third of any region - and not all resumes are created equal. We've had teams make the tournament with less than 5 games and we have seen teams left out with more than 5 games. It is about the quality, not quantity.

That's why I wrote generally; you'll be able to find exceptions in a few who made it or missed w/o 1 of the guidelines but most of the pool C berths will have satisfied all 3.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

ronk - I don't agree... the exceptions have been pretty non-existent. Heck, we tried in our predictions to give a few exceptions in recent years and have predicted incorrectly. On the men's side there has been pretty much one exception that the committee went with.

Many teams have made the tournament with less than 20 wins, an SOS around .520, and vRRO being maybe four in total (that's a harder one since it is all over the place).

Heck, there are 20 win teams who have missed out on the tournament. There are always SOS numbers of .550 and better who don't make the tournament. And vRRO is an ever changing target that five is a number that is too arbitrary.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Last year the men's pool C of 21 teams had 9 satisfy my 3 criteria, 10 satisfied 2 of the 3 criteria and only 2(probably the last 2 chosen) satisfied only 1 of the criteria. From the other direction, I don't think that there was any one who satisfied all 3 and didn't get a pool C berth, which was my original point in this discussion.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on November 26, 2018, 01:47:05 AM
Last year the men's pool C of 21 teams had 9 satisfy my 3 criteria, 10 satisfied 2 of the 3 criteria and only 2(probably the last 2 chosen) satisfied only 1 of the criteria. From the other direction, I don't think that there was any one who satisfied all 3 and didn't get a pool C berth, which was my original point in this discussion.

But that's my point ... you have a criteria that has a high bar. There are 20+ Pool C allocations only 9 satisfied all three of your criteria. There are a lot of other things involved. I would HOPE a team makes it with the high-bar you have set (20+ wins and .540 SOS to be sure), but I'm trying to let people know the bar isn't actually that high. Teams can get in with lower numbers in any and all of that criteria.

I will also caution two things:
- the SOS numbers between men and women are calculated slightly differently, but have a significant difference in how they affect things.
- the men's and women's committee don't view the criteria in the same "light" and make selections based on the criteria differently (sometimes very differently).
- as hinted at on Hoopsville last night by the men's chair ... there are some "checks and balances" coming to the process on the men's side that may open the door to those with criteria viewed "lower" in the past.

Again ... your bar is very high and, yes, teams will make it with those criteria ... but by stating that you also inform those who don't understand it as much that if their teams don't fit that criteria they don't have a chance ... and that isn't a fair way of talking about it.

Thus why I say, WL of .700, SOS above .520 (certainly about .500), and vRRO being a good resume gets one into the conversation ... and being in the conversation is the most important part.

NEHoopsFan

Conference play starts tonight in the Newmac with a handful of great games. 

Top Two Games - And the 4 teams I expect to see at the top of a strong conference:
Springfield @ Smith - Two very strong teams that will be competing for the conference title
Babson @ MIT - MIT first home game of season after opening with 5 road games.

Other Games
WPI @ Wheaton - WPI lost several key players from last year.  It will be interesting to see if they can compete again this year
Wellesley @ Emerson
Clark @ Simmons
Mount Holyoke @ Coast Guard

Predictions Anyone???

All games start at 7:00 EST

NEHoopsFan

This weekend was a weekend of blowouts across the NEWMAC.  The big surprise was Smith blasting Babson 86-62 and doing most of the damage from behind the arc.  Smith shot 72% from behind the arch (18-25) and was lead by Senior Lauren Bondi shooting 10-14 setting a new school record.  Two other players were 4-5 from long range.  At some point that hot shooting will probably slow down, but that is an impressive performance.  Babson is a strong team, but it was just Smiths day for sure.

Couple other thoughts:

• WPI seems to be in a rebuilding year losing to Wheaton and Emerson so far this year
  • MIT bounced back strong after losing to Babson, beating Clark 90-49
  • Springfield (3-3) with a big win over Smith during the week 59-52 looks to be putting together another solid season

I am also curious for others opinions on the refs this season.  To me (and it may be just me) the refs seem to be calling games extremely tight on the womens side.  I hear fans from both sides saying the same thing.. "Let them play basketball!" regardless of the team getting called on the touch foul.  Is it just me or are other people noticing that in the Northeast?

NEHoopsFan

This past weekend had a couple of really good games.

Emerson who were 11-15 last year, seems to be a strong contender in the Newmac this year after beating a solid Smith team 86-77.  Lauren Bondi had another strong game for Smith with 30 points, but Charlie Boyle put up 36 for Emerson going 10-10 from the line.

MIT battled Emmanuel on Saturday, and came away with the win 72-69.  Emmanuel plays a fast paced, in your face full court defense that caused some troubles, but MIT's defense held Emmanuel to 20 points below their average.

So far strong Newmac teams(in no particular order)
Babson
Springfield
MIT
Emerson
Smith

NEHoopsFan

Babson comes in tied at #36 in this weeks D3Hoops poll.  Nice to see the Newmac get a little recognition as I think there are a few very strong teams at the top this year.  Conference play should have a handful of blowouts, and a handful of very competitive games. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Hope you didn't decide to take a night off or two from games? You would have missed some important results. While Wednesdays and Saturdays tend to be the big "nights" of any week in Division III, games on any night could have major ramifications.

The algebra this time of year is both simple and complicated. Conference schedules, for the most part, have moved into the second half and teams seeing teams a second time sometimes have an advantage. Rivals, of course, have an advantage. There are also distractions as some teams have been sitting on mostly empty campuses for several weeks and may be bored. Or second semester classes are beginning and changes to schedules can be an abrupt adjustment. There are also long road trips that can take a team's focus. Plus, the weather. Yeah, Mother Nature loves changing things around.

All of it can lead to upsets or strange outcomes. From blowouts to close battles. On any night, you are bound to see something you will be chatting about the next day.

Thursday's show includes guests from a couple of the hottest teams in men's basketball: Capital and Swarthmore. We also hear from an island squad and find out if the Whitman women's upset of George Fox should have been a surprise. And Springfield's Naomi Graves chats about how the U.S. Marine Corps has helped her coach and preach diversity.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Thursday's show starting LIVE at 7:00 p.m. ET. in the video player above. If you miss any of the show, you can always watch it On Demand or listen to the audio-only podcast to the right (available shortly after the show goes off air).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Damon Goodwin, No. 20 Capital men's coach
- Michelle Frentz, No. 24 Whitman women's coach
- Naomi Graves, Springfield women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Landry Kosmalski, No. 10 Swarthmore men's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Hoopsville Marathon Show ... is tomorrow!

Tune in starting at 12:00 p.m. ET as we talk to guests from around the country about nothing but #d3hoops.

It is all about celebrating the season, student-athletes, coaches, and an exciting season.

For more information, click here: http://bit.ly/2HGx0N3

We will share more about the show a little later.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh