2021 Transfers

Started by nescac1, April 18, 2021, 07:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

Below is from the SLIAC board (Central Region). To translate this for those who don't frequent that board -- the "red devils" are Eureka College in Eureka, IL, "mac" is MacMurray College in Jacksonville, IL which closed at the end of the 2019-2020 academic year, and "hannibal-lagrange" is Hannibal-LaGrange University an NAIA school in Hannibal, MO.

Quote from: ecreddevils on August 25, 2021, 06:34:39 PM
major get for the red devils is logan dorethy.  6' 7" former all-confernce sliac post at mac comes over from hannibal-lagrange and figures to start at center.

nescac1

Interesting group of transfers on this year's Cornell College roster.  They also have their top four scorers back, one of whom is a fifth year senior, and added 12 frosh to boot.  Could be a team to watch ...

Cam'ron McKinney, from Emory & Henry
Shane Van Huizen, from D2 Regis
Izic Mackey, from D2 Upper Iowa

nescac1

Terrell Brown, who was a preferred walk-on at Robert Morris, transferred to Brandeis, where he has three seasons of eligibility. 

WUPHF

Brandeis also picked up Tommy Eastman from Middlebury who will play as a graduate transfer.

Lawrence Sabir and Chandler Jones are back.

The Judges should finish no lower than third this season.

Washington University added a graduate transfer from the Citadel.

nescac1

The grad transfer from Citadel seems like an impressive addition, considering he will be a fifth-year senior who was a rotation player at a credible D1 school, where he had pretty respectable stats. 

Overall, I expect next year to be a massive year for the UAA.  Unsurprisingly given the advantage of having strong graduate programs across the board, which certainly characterizes a small minority of D3 leagues, UAA schools have taken unique advantage of the ability to attract really strong fifth-year players. 

In addition to what WUPHF mentions in his post, Wash U. gets an extra year of its star Jack Nolan; Emory's star-laded class of 2021 is supposedly all coming back; Case Western added two potential starters (Brian Hines from F&M and Griff Kornaker from Middlebury); and Dan Masino is a major impact transfer for Rochester, which also returns its star Ryan Algier for an extra year (although I think he is coming off a major injury).  Perhaps others as well will come to light as the season gets closer ...

Emory, Wash. U. and Brandeis seem to be pretty loaded with veteran talent, with Rochester and Case looking quite strong as well. 

Compare that to the NESCAC, a similar-caliber league which offers very few grad programs (only Tufts and Wesleyan award more than a tiny handful of grad degrees).  A good number of schools have impact players returning for a fifth year (most notably Amherst and Tufts each have some key guys back), but a lot of guys also opted to graduate or pursue grad studies elsewhere (including two at UAA schools).  I'm not aware of a single transfer into the NESCAC for basketball this year.  And two out of four all-league juniors (Eastman and Jack Farrell) opted to graduate.  This year and maybe for a few more years (due to the extra year of eligibility everyone received due to COVID) it's a HUGE advantage to be able to offer graduate programs to players who want to parlay an extra year of hoops into a prestigious grad degree. 

WUPHF

I did notice that Washington University and Greenville soccer made the day-of decision to cancel a game yesterday.

It could be that field was flooded or something else.

But, if that cancellation was Covid-19 related, that is concerning.

Every UAA and NESCAC player is going to be vaccinated, but do we see cancelled games?

nescac1

With everyone vaccinated, I'd be stunned and saddened by any cancelled hoops games.  I could, however, imagine a situation where spectators are severely limited or eliminated altogether, depending on how things go. 

I spoke too soon about NESCAC transfers; word just broke on the NESCAC board of a major transfer to Trinity, Ben Callahan-Gold, from D1 Tulane, who was highly-ranked as a high school senior.  Could be an instant impact guy in NESCAC. 

Pat Coleman

Just 4% of the weekend's football games were cancelled because of COVID concerns, and 4% seems pretty reasonable as a bar to aim for.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WUPHF

4% of early September games played outdoors translates in to what when we are talking about an indoor sport played in November, December, January if the 2021 infection patterns continue to track the 2020 rates? #rhetoricalquestion

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: WUPHF on September 07, 2021, 09:20:06 AM
4% of early September games played outdoors translates in to what when we are talking about an indoor sport played in November, December, January if the 2021 infection patterns continue to track the 2020 rates? #rhetoricalquestion

So many schools have vax requirements and other protocols locked down,  I suspect you'll see them going to empty arenas before they cancel games outright.  You'll find a few, but basketball has a lot smaller roster. It'll make things easier.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

WUPHF

That is the interesting thing for me.

I was talking about women's soccer and a team of 30 players in a sport that plays outdoors at an institution that requires vaccinations for 100% of faculty, staff and students.  They still cancelled two games.  The cancellations could be unrelated to Covid-19, but the decisions were announced on the day of the game and definitely unrelated to the weather.

I think we will get a season, but a few cancellations will be disruptive.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: WUPHF on September 07, 2021, 03:18:02 PM
That is the interesting thing for me.

I was talking about women's soccer and a team of 30 players in a sport that plays outdoors at an institution that requires vaccinations for 100% of faculty, staff and students.  They still cancelled two games.  The cancellations could be unrelated to Covid-19, but the decisions were announced on the day of the game and definitely unrelated to the weather.

I think we will get a season, but a few cancellations will be disruptive.

Are they still testing regularly? It seems like, although I've not seen numbers, that this Delta variant is producing a lot of asymptomatic positives amongst the vaccinated. If we're still testing as thoroughly as last year, that might be an issue. I haven't dug in to see what, if any, changes the NCAA laid out for this year.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

WUPHF

I'll ask next time I see someone close to the department and try to report back.

nescac1

Nichols has some of the most interesting transfers in all of D3 on its roster.  Not sure if they were recruited by Brandon Linton or the new coach was able to find a few guys over the summer ... two seem like they will form the starting backcourt (they started in Nichols' recent exhibition against D1 Bryant): Tilquan Rucker, who averaged over 30 ppg, 6 rpg, and 5 spg in JUCO while shooting 50 percent overall and 40 percent from 3.  He is very small and has it's safe to say quite an unorthodox style of play, but certainly has a ton of talent ... crazy handles and very quick and explosive.  The other is Jakigh Dottin, who was a regular rotation player and not-infrequent starter over the past four years for D1 Towson.  Matt Alectus, who was the sixth man in the exhibition game, is a transfer from D2 Mercy, where he was a major contributor.  (Rucker did not play for too long in the Bryant game, hopefully he didn't suffer any sort of serious injury).   

Here are some Rucker highlights, he's incredibly fun to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdoSVkh0RGI

With those three guys added to the returning veteran frontcourt of Matt Morrow (who seems like he's been there forever), Jaekwon Spencer, and Jason O'Regan, plus last year's star recruit Bryson Andrews, Nichols could be really interesting this year ... if all the pieces come together, at least, that seems like a heck of a top seven guys.