Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz Bombers

Hobart #19 and Skidmore #20 in the new D3Hoops poll with league play starting this weekend. Very nice.

Caz Bombers

LL Gameday #1 in the books.

RIT 74 at Bard 63 - Tigers with four in double figures and force 24 Raptors turnovers.

Ithaca 78 at Vassar 69 - Peter Ezema scores 20 for the Bombers, Jesse Browne 21 for the still winless Brewers.

at Skidmore 81, St. Lawrence 56 - impressive opening statement for the T-Breds. Rupkus and Yiljep combine for 43.

at Union 67, Hobart 62 - 2017 tournament final rematch goes the same way as the Dutchmen shake off 4-23 3pt shooting to stun the Statesmen.

at RPI 77, Clarkson 66 - Tom Horvat 25 points, 6 steals lead Engineers past Golden Knights.

Caz Bombers

Hobart fell into the ORV column after splitting the weekend but Skidmore rose to #16. Huge test Friday night at home against #2 Middlebury, who plays at home against Plattsburgh tonight.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Caz Bombers on December 05, 2017, 01:40:11 PM
Hobart fell into the ORV column after splitting the weekend but Skidmore rose to #16. Huge test Friday night at home against #2 Middlebury, who plays at home against Plattsburgh tonight.

To be honest, Hobart went 1-2 on the week in the voter's eyes.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 05, 2017, 02:08:15 PM
Quote from: Caz Bombers on December 05, 2017, 01:40:11 PM

To be honest, Hobart went 1-2 on the week in the voter's eyes.

oh right, I forgot they lost at Brockport mid-week. The loss to Union isn't great and beating Vassar seems to be borderline meaningless this year, sad to say.

noonhooper

Tough luck for the Brewers so far this year. They looked like they had something going a few years ago.

Hobart is a strong team with a great coach, I know they will bounce back from a tough week where they may have been ranked too high based on the perception of the teams they beat more than where Hobart is as a team right now. Watch out for them later this year.

Also impressive is that Union has been able to keep competitive after losing an NBDL player!!

Caz Bombers

Union should be considerably tougher than the preseason poll indicated. Senior-laden team with good chemistry. That guard Weckworth is dangerous from anywhere on the floor, in the win over Hobart he was only 1-8 from three but when the shot wouldn't fall he drove and got to the line for 12-16 FTs.

Libertatem Foederis

LL Power Rankings (Week 1)

1. Skidmore: (6-0 overall & 2-0 in league) Skidmore has been dominating their opponent  by 17.5 points on average a league best.  The non league schedule hasn't really tested them, until tomorrow night when Middlebury makes their way into the Spa.  should be a fun match-up and a good "heat check" for both teams.
2. Hobart: (3-2 overall 1-1 in League) The Statesmen had a tough road trip this past weekend with a split.  The reason I'm holding them in high regard is the schedule they have played so far, and that big win over U of R I think thy will have a good year in the AUU & that win could really help them down the road when LL is looking for At-Large bids in March.  Statistically they don't currently look as strong as years past, but its early & teams are still figuring things out.
3. Ithaca: (5-1 overall, 2-0 in league) The bombers are coming in to the LL after having a few down years in the E8.  They are an unknown and should be fun to watch them and see how they measure up.  So far so good, They split with Cortland which is a solid program in SUNYAC and I respect that win. They swept this past weekend in the mid-Hudson Valley, with a battle @ Bard.
4. RIT: (4-3 overall , 2-0 in league) The Tigers are off to a good start with a medium non-conference schedule, & A big win on the road @ Union this past weekend could be very helpful as LL progresses.  At the moment they could easily be ranked 3rd , not a lot is separating 3-6 @ the moment, but I like their non conference schedule & the W @ Union.
5. RPI: (6-1 overall , 2-0 in league) Great start for the Engineers, statistically they are in the upper tier of the league, however their non conference probably doesn't match-up like the teams above them.  Swept home opening weekend in the LL, but yet to be tested.
6. Union: (3-3 overall, 1-1 in league) Big win over Hobart @ home, & then the classic "let down" game the next day and they let one slip to RIT.  I think this team can out play their pre-season ranking and finish in the middle of the pack.
7. St. Lawrence: (2-5 overall, 0-2 in league) The Saints seem to always play a tough non-conference schedule and use that schedule to prepare them for the LL.  We will see if they continue to grow & get better.  The lose to RPI this weekend i feel was a "tell" that they aren't a top half team yet.
8. Clarkson: (3-4 overall, 0-2 in league) The Golden Knights have one of the weaker non-conference schedules.  We'll see how the win over SUNY Potsdam works out, but that is there best W.  I don't think a lot separates 6-10 in these rankings and they shouldn't , its early and as we progress teams will sort themselves out.
9. Bard: (2-6 overall, 0-2 in league) 2 close games this weekend, a nice double digit win on the @ Sage, we'll see what happens the rest of the way.
10. Vassar: (0-7 overall, 0-2 in league) By far has played the toughest schedule of any LL team.  It will be interesting if that services them well as we start LL play.  I think there is potential for the Brewers but I have to put them in the basement and refer to the Big Tuna "You are what your record says you are."

I hope it stays close between all of them as play continues!

Happy Holidays!

hopefan

Quote from: Libertatem Foederis on December 07, 2017, 10:44:21 PM
LL Power Rankings (Week 1)

1. Skidmore: (6-0 overall & 2-0 in league) Skidmore has been dominating their opponent  by 17.5 points on average a league best.  The non league schedule hasn't really tested them, until tomorrow night when Middlebury makes their way into the Spa.  should be a fun match-up and a good "heat check" for both teams.
2. Hobart: (3-2 overall 1-1 in League) The Statesmen had a tough road trip this past weekend with a split.  The reason I'm holding them in high regard is the schedule they have played so far, and that big win over U of R I think thy will have a good year in the AUU & that win could really help them down the road when LL is looking for At-Large bids in March.  Statistically they don't currently look as strong as years past, but its early & teams are still figuring things out.
3. Ithaca: (5-1 overall, 2-0 in league) The bombers are coming in to the LL after having a few down years in the E8.  They are an unknown and should be fun to watch them and see how they measure up.  So far so good, They split with Cortland which is a solid program in SUNYAC and I respect that win. They swept this past weekend in the mid-Hudson Valley, with a battle @ Bard.
4. RIT: (4-3 overall , 2-0 in league) The Tigers are off to a good start with a medium non-conference schedule, & A big win on the road @ Union this past weekend could be very helpful as LL progresses.  At the moment they could easily be ranked 3rd , not a lot is separating 3-6 @ the moment, but I like their non conference schedule & the W @ Union.
5. RPI: (6-1 overall , 2-0 in league) Great start for the Engineers, statistically they are in the upper tier of the league, however their non conference probably doesn't match-up like the teams above them.  Swept home opening weekend in the LL, but yet to be tested.
6. Union: (3-3 overall, 1-1 in league) Big win over Hobart @ home, & then the classic "let down" game the next day and they let one slip to RIT.  I think this team can out play their pre-season ranking and finish in the middle of the pack.
7. St. Lawrence: (2-5 overall, 0-2 in league) The Saints seem to always play a tough non-conference schedule and use that schedule to prepare them for the LL.  We will see if they continue to grow & get better.  The lose to RPI this weekend i feel was a "tell" that they aren't a top half team yet.
8. Clarkson: (3-4 overall, 0-2 in league) The Golden Knights have one of the weaker non-conference schedules.  We'll see how the win over SUNY Potsdam works out, but that is there best W.  I don't think a lot separates 6-10 in these rankings and they shouldn't , its early and as we progress teams will sort themselves out.
9. Bard: (2-6 overall, 0-2 in league) 2 close games this weekend, a nice double digit win on the @ Sage, we'll see what happens the rest of the way.
10. Vassar: (0-7 overall, 0-2 in league) By far has played the toughest schedule of any LL team.  It will be interesting if that services them well as we start LL play.  I think there is potential for the Brewers but I have to put them in the basement and refer to the Big Tuna "You are what your record says you are."

I hope it stays close between all of them as play continues!

Happy Holidays!

Very nice initial post Libertatem... as a long ago Liberty League guy (RPI when it was in the ICAC), I find it interesting to read an objective (I hope) account of what is going on out east... keep up the good work...+1
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Caz Bombers

T-Breds were up 4 at halftime, but in the 2nd half Middlebury showed why they're currently #2 in the nation with 57 points on 58 percent field goal shooting after intermission to win by 15. Tremendous night for Skidmore freshman Noah Meren off the bench with 19 points and 8 boards on 6-9 from the floor, 5-6 from the line in 27 minutes. Still the odds-on LL favorites in my eyes.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Skidmore will be a lot better in March.  You could see some growing pains, incorporating some of the new players in to the mix.  This was the first real test they faced this year and you could see a bit of nerves and sloppy play.  If Skidmore has just been smarter with passes and hit open layups, it would've been tight down the stretch.  I've been voting Skidmore in or near the Top 10 recently and I think there's no reason to drop them after that game.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Caz Bombers

big-time win for the Bombers on the road against #15 Rochester. Riley Thompson hit a three with 1.7 seconds left to break a tie and give IC the 71-68 win. He finished with 19 points on 5-8 three-point shooting as Ithaca overcame 20 turnovers to win its sixth in a row.

Bartman

Quote from: Caz Bombers on December 13, 2017, 12:51:05 PM
big-time win for the Bombers on the road against #15 Rochester. Riley Thompson hit a three with 1.7 seconds left to break a tie and give IC the 71-68 win. He finished with 19 points on 5-8 three-point shooting as Ithaca overcame 20 turnovers to win its sixth in a row.
Nice win for the Bombers..so Rochester is 1-2 against the LL with the other win by Hobart and a loss by Union.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bengalsrule

Quote from: Bartman on December 13, 2017, 05:57:48 PM
Quote from: Caz Bombers on December 13, 2017, 12:51:05 PM
Nice win for the Bombers..so Rochester is 1-2 against the LL with the other win by Hobart and a loss by Union.

Keep up the good work LL!

Caz Bombers

not basketball related but holy crap, 31-year old RIT grad donates $50 million to his alma mater...boy don't I feel like a worthless bum now being 35 and not exactly having that net worth, haha. And look, the "parent's basement" dumb cliche was actually true in this case!

http://13wham.com/news/local/rit-graduate