FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescac1

It's gonna be -- much like last year -- quite a year for NESCAC QBs next season: there are two very highly regarded D1 transfers coming in (including the URI transfer arriving at Trinity), two incredibly dynamic dual-threat QBs in McDonald and Maimaron, both of whom carry huge offensive loads for their respective teams, first-team all-league QB Mark Piccirillo at Wesleyan will continue to light it up, plus three other talented quality-or-better returning starters in Gray, Costa, and Eberth.  Middlebury's Meservy looked mostly good in limited action and will surely big up huge stats as Middlebury's QB machine just keeps on rolling (and there are very talented guys who will be fighting for his spot right behind him).  Colby is probably in the worst shape but still return a solid veteran starter in O'Brien.  Once again, simply a loaded position throughout NESCAC with some quality dudes riding the pine. 

lumbercat

Quote from: nescac1 on May 24, 2018, 02:58:32 PM
It's gonna be -- much like last year -- quite a year for NESCAC QBs next season: there are two very highly regarded D1 transfers coming in (including the URI transfer arriving at Trinity), two incredibly dynamic dual-threat QBs in McDonald and Maimaron, both of whom carry huge offensive loads for their respective teams, first-team all-league QB Mark Piccirillo at Wesleyan will continue to light it up, plus three other talented quality-or-better returning starters in Gray, Costa, and Eberth.  Middlebury's Meservy looked mostly good in limited action and will surely big up huge stats as Middlebury's QB machine just keeps on rolling (and there are very talented guys who will be fighting for his spot right behind him).  Colby is probably in the worst shape but still return a solid veteran starter in O'Brien.  Once again, simply a loaded position throughout NESCAC with some quality dudes riding the pine.

Nescac 1-

Well stated, it will be an interesting year.

Over the years we have seen a preponderance of dominant QB's who were almost over qualified for the NESCAC,  but this is true almost everywhere. As we know there are less QB opportunities than any other position on the field-  you have a trickle down effect with kids who may be a whisker away from playing at a higher level but realize they won't get on the field so they decide they want to play and seek an opportunity at a lower level like the  NESCAC where they will get on the field and get a fine education to boot.

Waiting to see how these 2 QB transfers pan out. Hamilton had a guy a couple of years ago from a low level D1 program who never got on the field and left the program so who knows.

From what I hear the Bowdoin Lafayette transfer is the real deal but I guess we will see. I'm told Coach Wells has a nice deal going with Bowdoin admissions.

gridiron

A QB transfer from a D1 program is certainly not a lock to excel or even get on the field. There are numerous examples of those who transferred and struggled to see playing time. One of the challenges is since the player wants to transfer, by default, that means he has not been seeing the field wherever he is coming from. Add to it the fact others in the program to which he is transferring have a leg up with college level experience as well as knowing the system they are in. Some also come into the lower level football with the mindset it should be easy to win the job. While there have been success stories for sure (Macallum Middlebury), there are many others you barely hear from again. Many are good overall athletes, and my view is some would be better served changing positions to find another way into the field.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: gridiron on May 25, 2018, 08:31:02 AM
A QB transfer from a D1 program is certainly not a lock to excel or even get on the field. There are numerous examples of those who transferred and struggled to see playing time. One of the challenges is since the player wants to transfer, by default, that means he has not been seeing the field wherever he is coming from. Add to it the fact others in the program to which he is transferring have a leg up with college level experience as well as knowing the system they are in. Some also come into the lower level football with the mindset it should be easy to win the job. While there have been success stories for sure (Macallum Middlebury), there are many others you barely hear from again. Many are good overall athletes, and my view is some would be better served changing positions to find another way into the field.

Agree with everything you said, although QB's tend to be the best transfers it seems when they go d3.  I played at a top 25 d3 program in the 1990s (Ithaca).  We had about 5-10 "d1" transfers during my time there.  Two of them started, the others never played and none of them were QBs.  All of the transfers were upstate NY locals who had different reasons for transferring, but the majority of them didn't like the school, wanted to be closer to home, and probably most importantly they were not playing at the d1 schools they attended.

I went to a few Harvard spring practices this year, and they had 5 or 6 QBs.  I heard they offer 15 Qbs every year which is standard for IVY league schools, and can only assume it is the same for other d1 schools.  I'm guessing they will have another 1-3 on the team next year, making the roster made up of 5-8 QBs in 2018. To me it makes it understandable for some of these guys to transfer to a school in the NESCAC.

But is it true that Nescac schools (Williams comes to mind) allowed very few transfers to their school for any reason in the 1990s and before?

PolarCat

Even if your granddaddy owns an NFL team, and you transfer from an Ivy to a school in the bottom of the NESCAC, there's no guarantee you will ever take a snap.

nescac1

Certainly no lock.  You have to consider the QB's reputation both in high school and at the time of transfer.  I don't think anyway saw the Colby transfer as a stud QB either in high school or at the time of transfer. 

But I will say the track record of hyped D1 transfer QBs to NESCAC schools is very good, overall.  McCallum Foote and Jared Leibowitz are two of the most talented QBs we've ever seen in NESCAC and both were considered sure-things as transfers.  Austin Lommen, who came to Williams after being a recruited walk-on at B.C., was I'd say an above-average NESCAC QB (at worst average) whose performance was hampered by terrible coaching and very little talent around him.  Reece Foy at Amherst was excellent when healthy.  And the incoming Bowdoin and Trinity QBs seem on paper to be closer in terms of high school pedigree / recruitment level out of high school to Foote (Leibowitz is probably a unicorn in that regard) than to Lommen.  So I wouldn't bet against either succeeding.  Although of course it may take time to learn new systems. 

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting about ...

polbear73

All very good points in a very interesting discussion. But doesn't one also have to consider the condition of the program into which the QB is transferring? Transferring into Middlebury, Amherst, Trinity and now Williams is quite different than into Bowdoin. One hopes that the offensive line matures and that the Polar Bears can develop a complementary running game (there is backfield talent) but it seems like a much more difficult task for the transferee than the aforementioned established successful programs.

gridiron

Jonny U--agree with you points. However Harvard probably is not a good example only because none of those guys would transfer from there to a NESCAC and give up that Harvard degree. In those cases you will see the players change positions before leaving.

Your point is still valid though for some of the other Ivies though, especially the lower tier ones.

lumbercat

Possible Bates HC hire: Bobby Acosta Offensive Coordinator- Lafayette

My error meant Bucknell

GovCat

Lumbercat, possibly Bucknell, not Lafayette?

lumbercat

amh63

A late to the party type post...the QB D1 transfer to the Nescac topic.  There are talent level differences when one considers the "D1 schools" conferences.  The Ivies versus the Bucknell/Lehigh versus the Un of Cal. at San Diego, etc. conferences.  Then there are the differences in time differences.  I remember when Harvard looked to the House conference for QBs in past eras.
The mentioned QB Foote transfer to Midd came from Brown.  His father was an Amherst alum to boot.
Need to think on that transfer...why?  Better opportunities, offensive coaches, etc., eTc.

ColbyFootball

I've been acquainted with Bobby Acosta for about 16 years. He would be a great hire for Bates. He's a very intelligent football guy, a hard worker, a terrific recruiter and a man of high character. I believe he'd elevate the program very quickly.

gridiron

Sounds like it would be a great start for Bates. Still need the support from admissions that the top tier NESCAC football programs enjoy. Cannot expect to join them without it.

PBPOP20

Quote from: polbear73 on May 25, 2018, 12:04:28 PM
All very good points in a very interesting discussion. But doesn't one also have to consider the condition of the program into which the QB is transferring? Transferring into Middlebury, Amherst, Trinity and now Williams is quite different than into Bowdoin. One hopes that the offensive line matures and that the Polar Bears can develop a complementary running game (there is backfield talent) but it seems like a much more difficult task for the transferee than the aforementioned established successful programs.

polarbear73 - I'm hopeful for the Bears this year...  there is good talent in skill positions, depth at QB and RB.  Young talented receivers/TE (although Porter and Vailas will be tough to replace). The trenches is where the story will unfold.  OL is maturing - 3 returning starters (Center, Sr. and both Guards, Jr./So.) with 2-3 others that saw significant time bc of all the  injuries and some good recruits coming in.  The fruits of JB and staffs recruiting efforts should begin to become evident this season (if they've really been as good as we thought at the time.) That first class will be Jr's and have gotten a lot of reps!  Hoping that starts to payoff a little bit this year!