MBB: USA South Conference

Started by CNU85, March 16, 2005, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Ben Stein Fan on March 02, 2017, 11:28:57 AM
Ryan,

The link doesn't work.

Let me ask you a question, so I am clear on how the NCAA allocates Emory's wins.

Because Emory is physically located in the South but plays in a conference in which it is the only South Region team, all of its wins counts as in-region for the South Region?

That seems highly unfair because Emory's out of conference records wasn't bad, but it wasn't spectacular.  But, because it plays in a conference which plays other teams from a more predominant D3 region in the nation, Emory gets a higher SOS than other South Region teams who do not get to play a more national schedule.

Why doesn't the NCAA move Emory into a region that is more reflective of its schedule than physical location?

Two things help a team improve their SOS: their league's out of conference record.  Every conference with a double round robin will essentially have a .500 SOS for games in their conference.  The difference comes in how teams do outside the conference - those leagues where two or three teams end the year with 2 or 3 or 4 wins, will never get a decent SOS.  Improving the bottom of the league will help the top teams improve.  At the very least, if those bottom teams are going to lose anyway, better for them to lose to really good teams than bad ones.

The second - play teams from good conferences.  Putting Emory on your schedule will let you tap into that high SOS in the UAA.  Even better for leagues where there are very few non-league games.  Yes, being in the South limits your ability to do this - and the ODAC being down the last few years hurts tremendously.  You still have to be smart about how you schedule.  In New England, Albertus Magnus likes to say they can't get good non-conference games because everyone's afraid of them, but really teams are afraid of their terrible conference SOS.  You only want to play teams who will help your number - if you think you have a chance at the at-large.  Endicott, this year, is the prime example.  They play in a weak conference and thus had to schedule an incredibly difficult non-conference schedule just to get to .520 in the SOS.  They happened to beat Middlebury and won 23 other games and as a result they got the first ever Pool C bid from their league.

Stronger leagues have a better chance to get at-large bids, but shouldn't that be the way of things?  If you want to stand out individually in a mid-level or lower conference, you have to do the work in the non-conference.  It can't just be "whoever's close" or "whoever's available."

Of course, almost everyone has access to the tournament through their own conference tournament, so it's not like you can't get in.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ben Stein Fan on March 02, 2017, 11:28:57 AM
Ryan,

The link doesn't work.

Let me ask you a question, so I am clear on how the NCAA allocates Emory's wins.

Because Emory is physically located in the South but plays in a conference in which it is the only South Region team, all of its wins counts as in-region for the South Region?

That seems highly unfair because Emory's out of conference records wasn't bad, but it wasn't spectacular.  But, because it plays in a conference which plays other teams from a more predominant D3 region in the nation, Emory gets a higher SOS than other South Region teams who do not get to play a more national schedule.

Why doesn't the NCAA move Emory into a region that is more reflective of its schedule than physical location?

Emory is in the South... they should be in the South Region. The UAA is the only conference to be split into different regions, but to be fair it wouldn't be fair for them to be grouped into regions where they aren't even playing teams around them. Emory at least plays teams around them so being in the South region works especially when comparing them to others. If Emory was only traveling and not playing teams around them, it would be a different argument.

Furthermore, the UAA wins their games out of conference... that helps Emory's SOS more than anything... as Ryan alludes to.

There are some UAA teams buried in their regions with similiar resumes and it happens every year... it just so happens the South was more exposed and not as top heavy as in the past this year and Emory rose to second.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 02, 2017, 02:28:43 PM
The UAA is the only conference to be split into different regions,

Well, until July 1st.  I imagine the ACAA will be split.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 02, 2017, 10:45:19 PM

Eh... might be parked in the East. We shall see... it will be interesting.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 02, 2017, 11:57:08 PM

That's what I heard, but they're not going to Mills, UCSC, and Finlandia there, right?  I could see Pine Manor and Valley Forge, even UMPI and Finlandia, I guess, moving, but those CA schools seem like a stretch.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 03, 2017, 06:46:02 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 02, 2017, 11:57:08 PM

That's what I heard, but they're not going to Mills, UCSC, and Finlandia there, right?  I could see Pine Manor and Valley Forge, even UMPI and Finlandia, I guess, moving, but those CA schools seem like a stretch.

It has happened in the past, interestingly. I don't think they love the idea of a UAA-styled system... but it is unique, so we shall see. When the season ends, I will try and get a sense of the plan.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

hasanova

Congratulatons to former Guilford '10 All-American and National DIII POY Tyler Sanborn on being named HC at Ferrum.  After several years of professional basketball, Tyler has served as an Assistant at Hampden-Sydney.  Kudos!

Ben Stein Fan

I expect a great year from Lagrange College and Coach Wallace...when will he get the respect of his colleagues in the USA South?

http://lagrangepanthers.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/releases/20171019lj3jtv

scottiedoug

Wallace most certainly has the respect of the Maryville coaches,....

Ben Stein Fan

Quote from: scottiedoug on October 22, 2017, 02:51:19 PM
Wallace most certainly has the respect of the Maryville coaches,....

Coach Wallace hopefully will get the recognition he so rightfully has earned.

I expect a great year out of Lagrange College and they are playing one heck of a schedule.

Greek Tragedy

So how come in the d3hoops "standings" link, there is no USAC listed?

http://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2017-18/index
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

gordonmann

Thanks for catching that.

The USA South now has divisions for men, like the NEAC and ASC, so I had to change the html coding to reflect that.

It should be fixed now.

scottiedoug

Sort of fixed...what is the USAC?