Toughest Place to Play in Your Conference

Started by e_lee, August 22, 2005, 09:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CobberFvr

For the MIAC, it's between 2 venues in my mind...

Clemens Stadium
- Home to Saint John's University. Walking into the natural bowl on a clear warm day in September, or whatever month you prefer, you can't help catching yourself looking around and thinking about the tradition this stadium relishes. Not to mention their home record...

Jake Christensen Stadium
- Home of the Concordia College Cobbers. One of the toughest places to play, period. The constant 15-20 mph NE wind is enough to drive you away, and add in the bitter cold of November and their opponents could be wishing to be on the bus before it starts.

CCKnight

Quote from: BuckeyeFvr on October 16, 2008, 01:18:06 PM
For the MIAC, it's between 2 venues in my mind...

Clemens Stadium
- Home to Saint John's University. Walking into the natural bowl on a clear warm day in September, or whatever month you prefer, you can't help catching yourself looking around and thinking about the tradition this stadium relishes. Not to mention their home record...

Jake Christensen Stadium
- Home of the Concordia College Cobbers. One of the toughest places to play, period. The constant 15-20 mph NE wind is enough to drive you away, and add in the bitter cold of November and their opponents could be wishing to be on the bus before it starts.

Personally, I'd give it to the Jake hands down, most of the time it is cold and miserable, with that wind that just cuts through the field (My recruiting visit there was for a Concordia vs. St. Johns game and it was nice out when I left central MN that morning, but was cold with rain coming down sideways at the game and I think I left before it was even over).  The oppenents locker room is a glorified hockey warming house that has definately seen better days (unless they improved it since I was there last).  It's a long trip for every MIAC school, especially those south of the cities.  And the style of play that Concordia typically utilizes (smash mouth fb) is tougher in that environment.

Clemens is mainly tough due to the fact that SJU is usually a very, very good team, not so much the environment, which was actually fun to play in.  In pretty much all MIAC games the fans really don't affect the players on the field.  I can't remember actually hearing any fans while playing at any point in my career.  I could see how the number of them and the sea of red could possibly be intimidating for some, but who doesn't want to play in front of big crowds.

I'd have put Augsburg up there when I played just because they still had the astro-turf, which is the worst playing surface known to man. 

That's my MIAC perspective.

OC_SID

Quote from: hscoach on October 15, 2007, 07:48:28 AM

From a home field advantage standpoint, I'd put Baldwin Wallace at the top because their field is the old style artificial turf that more resembles green painted concrete.  No one enjoys a trip to play at BW.

I am sure that you know, but the concrete at B-W is no longer there ... A new FieldTurf surface was put down this summer.

ahig

Not the toughest place to play, but the most surreal, big-time football atmosphere has to be Clemens Stadium.  Played there in '03 and still one of my best memories.  SJU knows how do to it.

In case anyone cares (and they probably don't), the best MWC facility COULD BE the Banta Bowl.  Lawrence struggles to field a competitive team, but the Banta is nice and could be great.  Natural bowl, room for 5,000+ I believe.  It would be better with full locker room facilities at the field, a complete press box, and a new scoreboard.  Otherwise, a great place to spend a fall afternoon.

Carroll U. has a nice set up now too.  Their grandstand is uglier than sin, but the new QuadGraphics something-or-other in the north end zone looks great, the field turf is nice, the landscaping and new scoreboard are great additions.  Plus, I remember Carroll always playing smash mouth at home.

OldOtter

For as great of a program as they have as as nice of a facility that they have, Mount Union has one of the worst away locker rooms i've ever been in. It would be smalll for a JV soccer team. Tough to squeeze 80 guys in there before a game. Just made getting ready for a tough game even more difficult

realistic

Keith - Great article.

Extra special for me...grew up in cortland, went to Ithaca.  Well done.  That view of Cayuga never gets old.  I did play-by-play my senoir year and it was easy to get distracted on nice days when all of the sailboats are out.

Still love the IC game day, and Cortaca is something special.  But from the games I have seen, Clemens is #1 by a lot.  Loved Linfield's game day as well and RPI is just cool because of the location of the field.

G-manWU

Hi guys- great discussion, and one that has apparently spent several seasons in the making.

I spent my undergrad years at Wilkes and worked for the football program during all four seasons (2004-2007) that I was there. I haven't seen much on the MAC venues on here, so I hope I can throw in a little on each for your discussion. I will put the seasons we visited there after the school name.

Albright (2006)- Never saw it before the revamp. The new facilities are as nice as anywhere, but we visited during their last sub-par season, and there wasen't much atmosphere. We diden't have many guys form that area, so it wasen't as big of a trip as some others.

FDU (2006)- Again, never saw the previous version, although I heard plenty of stories! The current deal is quite nice and cozy, even with a bit of a walk to get to the locker rooms. There wasen't much visitors seating during our visit, but from what I understand that has been changed for the better.

King's (2004, 2006, 2007)- The Mayor's Cup always created a fun atmosphere, but the most noteable challenge was the wind. Our 2004 game ended in a 12-6 score- fantastic battle between Trichillo and Jackson in their final game, but not even any extra points. Kudos to the Monarchs for putitng in lights and FieldTurf for last season.

Lycoming (2004, 2005, 2007)- Very nice deal all-around, great atmosphere with everything being clean and worakble. We won a narrow game in '05 and lost the other two- always a tough trip and a good game.

Leb Val (2006, 2007)- Quite a nice setting out in the country, with plenty of wind. As with Lyco, great natural grass, and the Dutchmen gave us two battles each year we were there. My only complaint was the top of the press box was quite cramped (I was the video guy!!)

Delaware Valley (2004, 2005, 2007)- Obviously the first two years were some of the toughest games we played. Big crowds in the home bleachers every season, and always a good game. There was no platform to film from, so I always wound up in the stands striking up conversations. Also, the fried chicken in the press box was some of the best food in the MAC :)

Widener (2004, 2006)- Everything about the atmosphere reminded me of a small D-I program. Two very tough games, and a crowd that gets behind the team. I also remmeber it being very humid. We won both games, and those winds are among my most cherished from all four seasons.

Susquehanna (2004, 2005)- No longer in the MAC, but one of the most absolutley beautiful stadiums I have ever been in. Very nice setting all-around, and the train platform-style roof over the top of the press box was much appreciated when a rainstorm hit during our game in '04!!

Moravian (2005)- The scoreboard went out in a rainstorm when we were there, but the thing I remember best was the old gymnasium we had to get changed in! From a cameraman's perspective, climbing atop the grandstand building was quite unique.

Juniata- The only venue in the leage that I diden't get to, as we played them at home in '04, then they rotated off our schedule the next two seasons before bugging out of the MAC. I would like to catch a game there someday and visit the antique auto museum in town if I could on a free weekend.

Sadly, in terms of facilities, I would need to rank our very own Ralston Field as the worst in the confernece, pre or post-realignment. I know most all of the school administration- they do a fantastic job with everythiat Wilkes, but the football field and stands is the one area that falls short. The field has been in bad shape for several years, and the press boxes leave a bit to be desired compared to the others around the league. I know part of the reasons delaying a revamp have been the desire to include it with a complete revamp of the Ralston Field complex- hopefully this will come to fruition in the near future.

Scumdog0331

In the IIAC, Walston-Hoover is obviously a difficult trip, but I think that might be more about the team than the stadium.  I think the field that did the most to make the home team better (the definition of home-field advantage) was/is the Rock Bowl at Loras.  I always loved/hated playing there.
"An out-of-context quote to support my world view" - Some Dead Guy

K-Mack

G-Man,
Been to several of these, although Albright only on an early-90s recruiting trip and Moravian on a drive-by with a grad.

Widener has long been one of my favorites. I like the surrounded-by-trees aspect on three sides, and the concrete grandstand on the other.

Lycoming is nice, set in a neighborhood and against a steep hill on the far side, if I remember correctly. Also, the first box I remember with special President's Quarters.

Del Val I saw when the field was awful. It's definitely sort of a hike to get there, but it's not awful.

Wilkes is kind of cool in that its in a city park, but the field & press box look pretty run down/dilapidated. Decent atmosphere though.

Quote from: G-manWU on March 25, 2009, 12:25:55 AM
Hi guys- great discussion, and one that has apparently spent several seasons in the making.

I spent my undergrad years at Wilkes and worked for the football program during all four seasons (2004-2007) that I was there. I haven't seen much on the MAC venues on here, so I hope I can throw in a little on each for your discussion. I will put the seasons we visited there after the school name.

Albright (2006)- Never saw it before the revamp. The new facilities are as nice as anywhere, but we visited during their last sub-par season, and there wasen't much atmosphere. We diden't have many guys form that area, so it wasen't as big of a trip as some others.

FDU (2006)- Again, never saw the previous version, although I heard plenty of stories! The current deal is quite nice and cozy, even with a bit of a walk to get to the locker rooms. There wasen't much visitors seating during our visit, but from what I understand that has been changed for the better.

King's (2004, 2006, 2007)- The Mayor's Cup always created a fun atmosphere, but the most noteable challenge was the wind. Our 2004 game ended in a 12-6 score- fantastic battle between Trichillo and Jackson in their final game, but not even any extra points. Kudos to the Monarchs for putitng in lights and FieldTurf for last season.

Lycoming (2004, 2005, 2007)- Very nice deal all-around, great atmosphere with everything being clean and worakble. We won a narrow game in '05 and lost the other two- always a tough trip and a good game.

Leb Val (2006, 2007)- Quite a nice setting out in the country, with plenty of wind. As with Lyco, great natural grass, and the Dutchmen gave us two battles each year we were there. My only complaint was the top of the press box was quite cramped (I was the video guy!!)

Delaware Valley (2004, 2005, 2007)- Obviously the first two years were some of the toughest games we played. Big crowds in the home bleachers every season, and always a good game. There was no platform to film from, so I always wound up in the stands striking up conversations. Also, the fried chicken in the press box was some of the best food in the MAC :)

Widener (2004, 2006)- Everything about the atmosphere reminded me of a small D-I program. Two very tough games, and a crowd that gets behind the team. I also remmeber it being very humid. We won both games, and those winds are among my most cherished from all four seasons.

Susquehanna (2004, 2005)- No longer in the MAC, but one of the most absolutley beautiful stadiums I have ever been in. Very nice setting all-around, and the train platform-style roof over the top of the press box was much appreciated when a rainstorm hit during our game in '04!!

Moravian (2005)- The scoreboard went out in a rainstorm when we were there, but the thing I remember best was the old gymnasium we had to get changed in! From a cameraman's perspective, climbing atop the grandstand building was quite unique.

Juniata- The only venue in the leage that I diden't get to, as we played them at home in '04, then they rotated off our schedule the next two seasons before bugging out of the MAC. I would like to catch a game there someday and visit the antique auto museum in town if I could on a free weekend.

Sadly, in terms of facilities, I would need to rank our very own Ralston Field as the worst in the confernece, pre or post-realignment. I know most all of the school administration- they do a fantastic job with everythiat Wilkes, but the football field and stands is the one area that falls short. The field has been in bad shape for several years, and the press boxes leave a bit to be desired compared to the others around the league. I know part of the reasons delaying a revamp have been the desire to include it with a complete revamp of the Ralston Field complex- hopefully this will come to fruition in the near future.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Never made it out to Colo. Coll., but this was a pretty strong endorsement, as far as cool fields go, on the Colo. Springs blog:

QuoteBob Bodor knows all too well what he would have been doing this week.

His seventh Colorado College football team would have started preseason practices, leading toward the season opener Sept. 12 at Pomona-Pitzer. And each day, as he had done countless times while he was CC's head coach, he would have looked up from the practice field and marveled at the sight of Pikes Peak.

Instead, Bodor has a different view now. He's 4,000 miles away on the Hawaiian island of Kauai, coaching on a field that overlooks the Pacific Ocean.

"I never got bored of looking at Pikes Peak every day," he says. "But even though it's pretty warm over here right now, the breezes are prominent and the view is remarkable."
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Linfield61

For the Northwest Conference, Linfield. Great field and loud fans.

lakeshore

CCIW IMHO....

1.  Carthage - Art Keller Field is a great tailgate and loud fans and students whom have all consumed a fair amount of fluids throughout the day

2.  NCC - Bennedetti Wherli Stadium looks like a D-IAA stadium.  And when its packed its a tough place to play.

3.  Wheaton - The High Def Jumbo Tron replaying all of Wheaton's touchdowns is intimidating to opponents and the field looks up onto the hill the campus sits on for a nice vie.

SJSUPhil

Son of Tailgater

Quote from: lakeshore on September 22, 2009, 03:31:06 PM
CCIW IMHO....

1.  Carthage - Art Keller Field is a great tailgate and loud fans and students whom have all consumed a fair amount of fluids throughout the day

2.  NCC - Bennedetti Wherli Stadium looks like a D-IAA stadium.  And when its packed its a tough place to play.

3.  Wheaton - The High Def Jumbo Tron replaying all of Wheaton's touchdowns is intimidating to opponents and the field looks up onto the hill the campus sits on for a nice vie.

I agree with this post since I played in the 2003-2006 Era. I would say NCC was the toughest just based on the look of how large the stadium was and the crowd noise.

Wheaton has that train that goes right through the field and can kill drives with false starts...ect. They do not bring the fan base that you would expect from a high powered team though.

Illinois Wesleyan University is a west and east field, one of only 3 in the country still left. The sun set makes it very difficult for opposing teams if you are no used to it.

The most difficult and intimidating place to play is Mount Union. I played there in the playoffs in 2004 and the crowd noise along with the tradition there really can shake a team off their game.

K-Mack

Quote from: SJSUPhil on September 24, 2009, 05:53:00 AM
In the SCIAC, it's Redlands baby!

Phil, your enthusiasm is nice, but going through and posting on several boards without bringing anything to the table on any of the topics does not reflect well on the Bulldogs.

Please feel free to tell us why you think Redlands' stadium is a tough place to play. I love the campus, but I was not blown away by the football field when I was there.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take