BB: Regional (Mid-East) Terre Haute '08, Adrian '09, Marietta '10, '11

Started by Ralph Turner, May 11, 2008, 11:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Here is the message board for postings related to the Terre Haute IN Regional.

mideastfan2

6-team regional and I can't believe they shipped Ohio Wesleyan to New York....and that both Rose-Hulman and Adrian received at large bids.  I may be a little biased, but I think both Otterbein and Marietta would beat both of those teams pretty handidly.

1. Heidelberg (37-8)
2. Wooster (34-9)
3. Calvin (32-8)
4. Rose-Hulman (31-13)
5. Adrian (30-10)
6. Transylvania (31-12)

my early pick is with Heidelberg. 

ScotsFan

Quote from: mideastfan2 on May 12, 2008, 08:33:31 AM
6-team regional and I can't believe they shipped Ohio Wesleyan to New York....and that both Rose-Hulman and Adrian received at large bids.  I may be a little biased, but I think both Otterbein and Marietta would beat both of those teams pretty handidly.

my early pick is with Heidelberg. 
I am pretty confused by OWU being shipped to NY as well.  All the Bishops did was beat the top 2 seeds on their way to winning the NCAC tournament.  Furthermore, the NCAC is a tougher conference than the MIAA. 

Basically, it comes down to money.  It's cheaper to bus OWU out to NY than to send either Adrian or Calvin.  The part that confuses me is why Wooster wasn't the ones sent packing.  Although, looking at in on Yahoo Maps, Wooster to Auburn is only about half an hour further than Wooster to Terre Haute.  OWU is adding over 2 hours to their trip as they were 4 1/2 hours from Terre Haute and they are over 7 hours from Auburn.  One team that I doubt was too happy about seeing who got shipped in was Cortland State.  Had OWU not landed in that regional, it looked like Cortland could have had a pretty easy road to Grand Chute.

Oh well.  This way, now the NCAC can have 2 representatives qualify for the CWS!  ;D  ;)

ScotsFan

First of all, here is the link to the midease regional:

Rose-Hulman Regional

old scot,

I took a quote from your post from yesterday regarding Wooster in the tournament and moved it over here.  I thought this would be the more relavent place for discussion now.

Quote from: old scot on May 11, 2008, 12:45:37 PM

If Woo does get a reprieve on the season, I would like to see them "play to win". In otherwords, play loose and aggressive.

I totally agree with this assessment.  The Scots have truly gotten a gift with their at large bid, IMHO.  Now, lets see what they can do with this gift.  Wooster even managed to get the #2 seed FWIW.  The Scots will be proving their worth against Adrian in their tournament opener on Wednesday.  I really think it is imperative for the Scots to get off to a solid start.  That includes cutting down on the errors and walks that were so costly in the NCAC tournament.  If Wooster can gain a little MO, maybe, just maybe, that might carry over in giving this team some much needed  confidence to carry them through the tournament.

KYGrizzly

It's nice to see two HCAC teams get in the regional, but i am having trouble figuring out how Rose-Hulman got  the #4 seed.

In the final mideast regional rankings Adrain was ranked ahead of Rose and then gets a higher seed.

Rose loses two out of three to Transy the last week of conference play and then finishes second in the conference tournament behind Transy and is still seeded higher.

Should be a good tournament, Good Luck to all teams playing.

Pat Coleman

The NCAA in general doesn't seem to like to move out higher seeds.

Grizzly: Seeds are based on all 40 games (or all XX in-region games), not a couple of head-to-head games. If the majority of the season means RHIT should be seeded higher, they will be, even if they don't win the conference title.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

KYGrizzly

Thanks Pat. I was just trying to see the reasoning of the seeding. There is not much difference between Rose and Transy. I believe Rose has the overall better pitching staff and Transy has the better offensive players. Just my opinion.

Just one more question then.

How would they jump over Adrian who was ranked higher in the last Mideast rankings?

ScotsFan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 12, 2008, 12:20:24 PM
Grizzly: Seeds are based on all 40 games (or all XX in-region games), not a couple of head-to-head games. If the majority of the season means RHIT should be seeded higher, they will be, even if they don't win the conference title.
Yeah.  Just look at Wooster and OWU.  Wooster was knocked out by OWU in the NCAC semis.  OWU goes on to beat the NCAC West champs Denison in the finals.  Yet, Wooster is the 2 seed in the Mideast Regional and OWU only manages a 7 seed in the NY Regional.  I still think OWU deserved better than a 7 seed in that regional...

On a sidenote:  Isn't it strange to not be seeing Marietta and/or Manchester in the Mideast regional?  Maybe Wooster should take advantage of this since both teams have traditionally been quite the thorn in the side of the Scots when it comes to tournament time.   Although, Heide appears ready to stake a claim to that this year.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: KYGrizzly on May 12, 2008, 12:52:00 PM
Thanks Pat. I was just trying to see the reasoning of the seeding. There is not much difference between Rose and Transy. I believe Rose has the overall better pitching staff and Transy has the better offensive players. Just my opinion.

Just one more question then.

How would they jump over Adrian who was ranked higher in the last Mideast rankings?

Another good question -- one thing that always can happen at the end, since we don't see the final regional rankings, is that the rankings can change, affecting a team's record against regionally ranked opponents. Also, it could be that the numbers were so close this week that the 2-0 head to head for RHIT over Adrian required the change.

If teams are relatively far apart (last week they were No. 3 and No. 7 in the region) two games isn't likely to make the difference. But Thomas More and MSJ potentially falling below RHIT in the rankings brings those teams closer together.

Again, though, without the regional rankings it's really just a whole bunch of speculation.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

KYGrizzly

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 12, 2008, 01:36:19 PM

Another good question -- one thing that always can happen at the end, since we don't see the final regional rankings, is that the rankings can change, affecting a team's record against regionally ranked opponents. Also, it could be that the numbers were so close this week that the 2-0 head to head for RHIT over Adrian required the change.

If teams are relatively far apart (last week they were No. 3 and No. 7 in the region) two games isn't likely to make the difference. But Thomas More and MSJ potentially falling below RHIT in the rankings brings those teams closer together.

Again, though, without the regional rankings it's really just a whole bunch of speculation.
I guess that is where it got confusing. I knew RHIT beat Adrian 2 games early in the season but was still behind them in the latest rankings. Then this past week Adrian went 3-1 and RHIT went 3-2 in region games.

Is it safe to speculate that Thomas More was he last team out of the Mid East Region. Just wandering if Franklin would have beat RHIt if Thomas More would have made it in.

transydad

I have questions why is RHIT seeded higher than Transy based on these stats. Both teams played same conference schedule and Transy had a better winning percentage but not by much. Transy was tourny champs and beat RHIT. Transy was 2-1 against MSJ and 3-2 against RHIT both who were ranked in region   6th and 7th repectively. They also beat Penn State Behrend 2-0. So for these ranked teams they were 7-3. Also why do they get to play at home are they the North Carolina of baseball.  Second Question is there a schedule for rain outs. The weather does't look good at RHIT.

ScotsFan

Quote from: transydad on May 13, 2008, 06:23:54 PM

I have questions why is RHIT seeded higher than Transy based on these stats. Both teams played same conference schedule and Transy had a better winning percentage but not by much. Transy was tourny champs and beat RHIT. Transy was 2-1 against MSJ and 3-2 against RHIT both who were ranked in region   6th and 7th repectively. They also beat Penn State Behrend 2-0. So for these ranked teams they were 7-3. Also why do they get to play at home are they the North Carolina of baseball.  Second Question is there a schedule for rain outs. The weather does't look good at RHIT.
Read Pat Coleman's responses above regarding why RHIT is seeded higher than Transy.  Just insert Transy in place of Adrian. 

As for your 2nd question, this is now the 3rd time in the last 4 years that RHIT has hosted the Mideast Regional.  Last year Wooster was awarded hosting priviledges at a neutral facility in Strongsville, OH.  This is actually the 1st time that RHIT will be playing as well as hosting.  I guess the NCAA just likes the job they do at RHIT as Regional host and they also must like the proximity of Terre Haute.  It has nothing to do with RHIT earning the right to host.

ScotsFan

Heide rolls in game 1 of the Mideast Regional over Transy to the tune of 10-3.

The Pios got off to a fast start taking a 2-0 lead after the 1st inning.  But the Student Princes erupted to score 7 in the bottom of the 3rd.  Transy got one back in the 7th, but Heide put the game to rest with 3 more in the 8th to preserve their win.

Wooster and Adrian look to get started in just over an hour.  The weather looks like it shouldn't be a factor.  At least today... (knocking on wood  8))

woosterbooster

Whoever is working with Ken Nemeth as his partner doing the Wooster-Adrian game is the absolute worst announcer I have ever heard.  Pitiful, undecipherable descriptions of the action.  I've never heard him before, they must have just hired him or something.  Please, fire him immediately and get somebody in there that knows baseball and can simply describe the type of hit, WHO IT WENT TO, and what happened.  It's really not that hard if you have half a brain.

---

Sad when a Wooster fan has to switch to the opposing team's webcast.  The Adrian announcer is excellent, doing a nice unbiased broadcast.

countyroad

Quote from: Wooster Booster on May 14, 2008, 04:16:09 PM
Whoever is working with Ken Nemeth as his partner doing the Wooster-Adrian game is the absolute worst announcer I have ever heard.  Pitiful, undecipherable descriptions of the action. 

You're not kidding!!  I was just telling that to someone.  His name is Dave Dial.  The funny thing is that Ken keeps criticizing him.  Great comments.

They guy didn't know who was batting, he was wrong on balls/strikes upteen times, he didn't know the score.....