FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandy74

Quote from: JEFFFAN on May 21, 2019, 07:55:29 AM
It is remarkable how strong the NESCAC is in athletics.   In women's lacrosse, three of the final four teams are from the NESCAC.  In men's lacrosse, it was the last two standing from the NESCAC.   Tennis is equally represented.   Good stuff, NESCAC.

Not only are three of the final four teams in the women's lax tournament from the NESCAC, but Amherst almost made it four for four.  In  regional final action against Salisbury, what appeared to be a lead-taking goal with just under a minute remaining was nullified by a dangerous shot ruling and the Seagulls popped in the game winner with just four seconds left on the clock.  NESCAC dominance in the women's game is ridiculous.  Middlebury is 6-3 in the championship game since 1996.  Trinity played in five consecutive finals from 2012-16, winning their first appearance with Kate (Perine) Livesay, Middlebury '03 as HC.  Livesay has since taken over at her alma mater and coached the 2016 winner.  Amherst has played Middlebury for the title three times winning it in 2003.  Williams has been runner-up twice, losing once in 2OT.  Bowdoin was the DIII runner-up in 2011.  Hamilton won the championship in 2008 and lost it in 2010 while representing the Liberty League before returning to the NESCAC in 2012.  Seven teams are currently ranked in the top 17 and the final regular season poll included eight in the top 25 with two others among the four programs also receiving votes.  Like I said, ridiculous, and the Amherst-Williams pairing in the men's final shows the conference strength there as well.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Vandy74 on May 21, 2019, 02:47:49 PM
It is remarkable how strong the NESCAC is in athletics.   In women's lacrosse, three of the final four teams are from the NESCAC.  In men's lacrosse, it was the last two standing from the NESCAC.   Tennis is equally represented.   Good stuff, NESCAC.

Not only are three of the final four teams in the women's lax tournament from the NESCAC, but Amherst almost made it four for four.  In  regional final action against Salisbury, what appeared to be a lead-taking goal with just under a minute remaining was nullified by a dangerous shot ruling and the Seagulls popped in the game winner with just four seconds left on the clock.  NESCAC dominance in the women's game is ridiculous.  Middlebury is 6-3 in the championship game since 1996.  Trinity played in five consecutive finals from 2012-16, winning their first appearance with Kate (Perine) Livesay, Middlebury '03 as HC.  Livesay has since taken over at her alma mater and coached the 2016 winner.  Amherst has played Middlebury for the title three times winning it in 2003.  Williams has been runner-up twice, losing once in 2OT.  Bowdoin was the DIII runner-up in 2011.  Hamilton won the championship in 2008 and lost it in 2010 while representing the Liberty League before returning to the NESCAC in 2012.  Seven teams are currently ranked in the top 17 and the final regular season poll included eight in the top 25 with two others among the four programs also receiving votes.  Like I said, ridiculous, and the Amherst-Williams pairing in the men's final shows the conference strength there as well.

Way back when I was a teacher, I taught a girl who played lax in HS and then Middlebury (the school I taught at was a powerhouse in MA).  I believe the girl was only lost 1 or 2 games in her entire HS and college career combined.

Vandy74

Quote from: Jonny Utah on May 21, 2019, 03:02:01 PM

Way back when I was a teacher, I taught a girl who played lax in HS and then Middlebury (the school I taught at was a powerhouse in MA).  I believe the girl was only lost 1 or 2 games in her entire HS and college career combined.

Middlebury went 64-3 over coach Livesay's playing career from 2000-2003.  Is that when your ex student played?  Two of the losses were to Amherst and the other was to Williams.  My sister-in-law was the Panther HC at the time.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Vandy74 on May 21, 2019, 03:17:19 PM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on May 21, 2019, 03:02:01 PM

Middlebury went 64-3 over coach Livesay's playing career from 2000-2003.  Is that when your ex student played?  Two of the losses were to Amherst and the other was to Williams.  My sister-in-law was the Panther HC at the time.

Yea it must have been those exact years. 

amh63

Reported this info on the lacrosse board too.  The Nescac posted its all academic lists for the Spring sports.  Lots of the players reached the NCAA final 4.  Evan Wolff, named the Player of the Year  in the conference, has made the all academic list again, as well as a number of his teammates.  Lots of women lacrosse players too ;)

amh63

Several "loose end" comments/notes.
Am enjoying all the new formats, items on the Nescac school web sites.  Bowdoin's Orient is harder to find but still has good info like admission rate changes among conference schools. 
Williams' webpage has changed a great deal.  Found an interesting bit of info wrt athletic facilities.  Williams is in the last year of a very successful Capital Campaign...while Amherst is in the first year of its newest money Campaign.  Both Campaign money goals are about the same size....got to keep up with the Joneses as they say :).  Anyway, there is video on the Williams' Campaign site.  In the discussion wrt what remains to be done at Williams after a new science center, etc.....athletic facilities is mentioned!  Hey, there has been past talk on improving  some indoor athletic facilities at Williams...even a mention of a new basketball center??.  If there is a new facility, me thinks it will be a new fitness center like the new ones at Colby, Tufts, Amherst...descending order of construction year  ;D

footballluv

DIII Football Powerhouse University of St Thomas was kicked out of the MIAC. The school spends $1.1M on football each year.  If geography and academics were not an issue. How many would welcome such a powerhouse to the NESCAC? I heard there was once a petition to have Trinity suffer the same fate. JK.  :-)

If you can't beat em kick em out or just complain on the D3Boards.com LOL

lumbercat

If they were willing to comply with NESCAC rules on roster limits and the other restrictive regulations along with maintaining the top academic standards I would say game on.
However, the very top D3 programs are significantly better than any NESCAC team. The rules are restrictive in the NESCAC for a reason. NESCAC schools do not want to participate in an arms race with Mount Union. The same way the Ivies do not want to compete with Alabama.
At the end of the day it's apples and oranges but I assure you Mount Union and St Thomas would not be nearly as dominant if subject to NESCAC restrictions.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: lumbercat on May 22, 2019, 08:57:09 PM
If they were willing to comply with NESCAC rules on roster limits and the other restrictive regulations along with maintaining the top academic standards I would say game on.
However, the very top D3 programs are significantly better than any NESCAC team. The rules are restrictive in the NESCAC for a reason. NESCAC schools do not want to participate in an arms race with Mount Union. The same way the Ivies do not want to compete with Alabama.
At the end of the day it's apples and oranges but I assure you Mount Union and St Thomas would not be nearly as dominant if subject to NESCAC restrictions.

But, of course, since NESCAC restrictions include never playing games outside the conference, we would never know for sure! ;D

lumbercat

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: lumbercat on May 22, 2019, 09:51:02 PM
a hypothetical discussion Mr Ypsi

D'oh! ;D

Would it have helped if I had appended either  ;) or  :P?

Trin9-0

Quote from: footballluv on May 22, 2019, 04:41:46 PM
DIII Football Powerhouse University of St Thomas was kicked out of the MIAC. The school spends $1.1M on football each year.  If geography and academics were not an issue. How many would welcome such a powerhouse to the NESCAC? I heard there was once a petition to have Trinity suffer the same fate. JK.  :-)

If you can't beat em kick em out or just complain on the D3Boards.com LOL

Don't laugh... this is literally something Nescacman suggested back in November.

Quote from: Nescacman on November 08, 2018, 06:01:45 PM
Let's get rid of Hartford State (at least in football) and bring in say, MIT or the Coast Guard Academy....this has been going on for years and it's about time that we call an end to the total charade that is HS football in the NESCAC...   

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that it was just days before the Bantams would beat his Cardinals for the 17th time in the past 18 meetings.  ;D
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

lumbercat

Long time Bates assistant Skip Capone is moving on from Bates. For many years he has been an integral part of  Bates Football. A great guy who always maintained a positive approach and really cared about Bobcat Football.  He contributed an immense amount of sweat, hard work and dedication to the program and his players.
This guy flew under the NESCAC radar a bit but he brought something special to the program for many years.. He will be missed.

amh63

Fair Winds to Skip Capone!   Any assistant coach in the Nescac who have stayed for more than decade is someone who brings something special to the team.  It sure is not for the money.

polbear73

Quote from: lumbercat on May 24, 2019, 04:20:11 PM
Long time Bates assistant Skip Capone is moving on from Bates. For many years he has been an integral part of  Bates Football. A great guy who always maintained a positive approach and really cared about Bobcat Football.  He contributed an immense amount of sweat, hard work and dedication to the program and his players.
This guy flew under the NESCAC radar a bit but he brought something special to the program for many years.. He will be missed.
And he will be remembered fondly by his players for the rest of their lives. The relationship between position coach and players is always special.