FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Horse Rider

The 2023 USAC season has come to an end.  Belhaven drew the buzz saw in the first round and did not make it to the second round of the playoffs but what a season for the Blazers.  As I am assuming most expected they racked up the conference postseason awards with OPOTY, DPOTY, and coach of the year.  They also had 12 all-conference selections including 10 on the first team (7 from offense).  The conference runner up Hawks had 13 spots for 12 players (WR and returner) including 5 on the first team (7 selections from the defensive side).  NCWC had 7, Maryville had 6, and Greensboro had 6.  I would have to do some research but I would bet you that 6 selections for the Pride is the most in quite some time (the COVID spring excluded).  Brevard had 3, Methodist 3, and SOVA 2 selections.  LaGrange did not have any players selected.  They did have a honorable mention section where it appears that each team had a representative but that is the first time I have seen them do that so I am not sure what it means.  In either case here is my way to early very unofficial preseason rankings:

1. Maryville- They return the QB for his JR season and will likely be the team to beat for the next two seasons.  I give them the slight edge over the Hawks since the game will be in TN next year.
2. Huntingdon- Until Coach Turk leaves they will always be at the top of this conference and will contend for the title.
3. Belhaven- Graduation will hit this team probably the hardest but with where they recruit I would think they should be able to reload rather quickly.
4. Brevard- If this team can find a way to win some out of conference games it will help the overall image of the conference.  They are also returning an all-conference QB
5. NCWC- This team will continue to have talent and could surprise people next season depending on retention
6. Greensboro- Coach Card has this program moving in the right direction I think.  It is a tough hill to climb but they have started moving upwards
7. SOVA- Always a tough team to call due to mission trips but I thought they were improved on offense this year and that is something to build on
8. Methodist- It was a disappointment this season and though they are not loosing a ton of Seniors they are losing them at key positions.  It may get worse in Fayetteville before it gets better
9. LaGrange- I am still waiting for someone to awaken this sleeping giant.  Recruiting in the state of Georgia could turn any program quickly

I realistically could see any of those top 4 teams winning the conference title next season.  The thing that I would love to see change next year is the conferences overall record in non-conference games.  We were 7 wins and 18 losses.  The 7 wins came from Maryville (3), Belhaven (2), and Huntingdon (2).  If as a conference this can improve then maybe the next NCAA AQ doesn't get sent to the defending national champs house in round 1.

Ralph Turner

Maryville

9/2   at Sewanee •   W, 28-8   BX RC
9/9   vs. Centre •   W, 34-23   BX RC
9/16   at Shenandoah •   W, 27-20   BX RC RC

Huntingdon

9/2   at Berry •   L, 67-34   BX
9/9   vs. Birmingham-Southern •   W, 16-0   BX
9/16   vs. Guilford •   W, 40-14   BX

Belhaven

8/31   vs. Millsaps •   W, 47-7   BX RC
9/9   at Lyon   W, 48-15   BX RC

Brevard

9/2   vs. Warner   L, 29-23   BX RC
9/9   at Hampden-Sydney •   L, 31-17   BX RC RC
9/16   vs. Averett •   L, 17-14   BX RC  (Averett went 2-5 in the ODAC)

Increasing the number of wins in out-of-conference play looks like a steep hill to climb.

Blazers1

Coach McCorkle is leaving Belhaven to become the head football coach at Northwestern State. Wow! Going from D3 to D1 is impressive. I hate that he will be leaving this program though after the success we have experianced.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Blazers1 on November 28, 2023, 10:43:17 AM
Coach McCorkle is leaving Belhaven to become the head football coach at Northwestern State. Wow! Going from D3 to D1 is impressive. I hate that he will be leaving this program though after the success we have experianced.

He will have his work cut out for him.  They cancelled this season (after starting 0-6) after the shooting death of one of their players and the previous HC quitting afterwards.  They've been a bottom-feeder in the SLC for a long time; their last winning season was 2008.

BSCpanthers

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 28, 2023, 11:17:05 AM
Quote from: Blazers1 on November 28, 2023, 10:43:17 AM

He will have his work cut out for him.  They cancelled this season (after starting 0-6) after the shooting death of one of their players and the previous HC quitting afterwards.  They've been a bottom-feeder in the SLC for a long time; their last winning season was 2008.

Wasn't he shot by one of his teammates???

Wonder how close they came to just closing the program for good. 

The Third Division

Time to wake up the USA south board.

Maryville hired an Oline coach with FCS, FBS, and NFL coaching experience https://footballscoop.com/news/maryville-college-ben-fox-nab-antonio-bradford-as-offensive-line-coach