FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: kate on November 19, 2014, 09:36:07 AM
This entire dialogue has been incredible - lots to mull over.  Thanks for all the input - this old lady truly appreciates it.  Just hope some Landmark posters sneak a peek occasionally!  ;)

Not sure it would matter, kate. Landmark isn't going to be adding football anytime in the near future.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

PBR...

Quote from: kate on November 19, 2014, 09:36:07 AM
This entire dialogue has been incredible - lots to mull over.  Thanks for all the input - this old lady truly appreciates it.  Just hope some Landmark posters sneak a peek occasionally!  ;)

Did someone ring??? too many pages for pbr to catch up on from the entire season so anywho  DVC wins this week 34-24... later my peeps....pbr peace and out...

bman

A Drive  by from PBR...Nice!

So will start out today by adding my 2 cents on ECAC action...

Bethany @ Stevenson
Will start by stating that I know absolutely nothing about Bethany, other than what I could garner through their stats...
Looks like they have a three headed rushing attack, with their QB and 2 RBs equally getting yardage.  (A Triple Option team?)  Also looks like the bulk of their receiving yards are concentrtaed in 1 receiver...  When they have lost, (other than the standard shellacking against MU), they couldnt run the ball...
If they are a Triple Option, Stevenson will have to be disciplined.  Perhaps Dave can comment, but not sure if Stevenson has faced a true triple option(if thats what they run)...
Going to take Stevenson here in a true blind guess 31-14...just on their defense alone..

Albright @ Salisbury
Salisbury contended all year for the E8 crown, a conference which is notorious for its depth...and stregnth
That would indicate that at first glance Salisbury should run away with this game... However...
they are 0-3 in their last 3 games against the MAC
and Last Year lost to Muhlenberg in the ECAC game, indicating that they probably weren't "up" for that game...

This game will be all about Albright staying disciplined and defending space.  Widener dominated Salisbury in 2012 by blowing up the first option over the center Every play...which then made it simply an option game which they could easily defend.
Albright seems to play the run well (at least statistically), but not sure how they will handle this variant.
I still take Salisbury here (More or less because they are home) by 14.   Salisbury 38 Albright 24

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I wouldn't say Stevenson has faced a true triple-option threat like one Salisbury would employ... but they are very good on the rush and tend to not get fooled by trick plays and such. Wilkes certainly tried to throw a few wrinkles and the defense stayed in its lanes and tended not to over-pursue. Rushing teams have not really gotten very far on the Mustangs, so you better have a threat downfield to keep them from bringing their corners and safeties in to stop the run - which they do very well.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Joe Vasile

Broadcasting my way around the MAC:
Widener Pride football 2012-2013. 
Wilkes Colonels football and basketball 2014.
Lycoming Warriors football and basketball 2016.

The College of New Jersey Alumni, Class of 2014.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: bman on November 20, 2014, 12:11:40 PM
A Drive  by from PBR...Nice!

So will start out today by adding my 2 cents on ECAC action...

Bethany @ Stevenson
Will start by stating that I know absolutely nothing about Bethany, other than what I could garner through their stats...
Looks like they have a three headed rushing attack, with their QB and 2 RBs equally getting yardage.  (A Triple Option team?)  Also looks like the bulk of their receiving yards are concentrtaed in 1 receiver...  When they have lost, (other than the standard shellacking against MU), they couldnt run the ball...
If they are a Triple Option, Stevenson will have to be disciplined.  Perhaps Dave can comment, but not sure if Stevenson has faced a true triple option(if thats what they run)...
Going to take Stevenson here in a true blind guess 31-14...just on their defense alone..

Albright @ Salisbury
Salisbury contended all year for the E8 crown, a conference which is notorious for its depth...and stregnth
That would indicate that at first glance Salisbury should run away with this game... However...
they are 0-3 in their last 3 games against the MAC
and Last Year lost to Muhlenberg in the ECAC game, indicating that they probably weren't "up" for that game...

This game will be all about Albright staying disciplined and defending space.  Widener dominated Salisbury in 2012 by blowing up the first option over the center Every play...which then made it simply an option game which they could easily defend.
Albright seems to play the run well (at least statistically), but not sure how they will handle this variant.
I still take Salisbury here (More or less because they are home) by 14.   Salisbury 38 Albright 24

Even though you have them winning, they did beat the Mules in last years ECAC game, it was a overtime game. However, haven't watch Albright since the beginning of the year and believe if they can stop the run between the A & B gaps and then do what every other team has done to score on the Seagulls and Air raid it out, Albright can win the game. However, if they try to be conservative and be balance, it would go in the favor of the Seagulls. I predict 32-28 (Even)

jmcozenlaw

Keith's take: Delaware Valley 42, Christopher Newport 35
Ryan's take: Delaware Valley 41, Christopher Newport 37
Pat's take: Delaware Valley 56, Christopher Newport 31
Consensus: The Aggies have one of the most generous defenses in the field, so they'll have to win a shootout
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first two predictions were pretty close to the final point differential. I had CNU by a touchdown as well.

On the way to taking a 26-7 lead, DelVal QB Aaron Wilmer was running towards the sideline and blew a tire (hamstring) and it was pretty much over offensively at that point. Wilmer was running the ball effectively prior to the injury and became a statue after. His balls were sailing all over the place as well given that it was his plant leg.

Some very, very questionable play calling (incomplete deep pass on 1st, run Smallwood up the gut for no gain on 2nd, incomplete, across the field sideline out on 3rd) and what looks like a significant lower leg injury to one of DelVal's best LB's (Law) and it was game, set, match.

I'd like to congratulate Aaron Wilmer on a career for the ages................becoming only the 26th QB in college football history (all divisions) to throw for over 10,000 yards and rush for over 1,000 yards. Little DelVal actually now has two (Adam Knoblauch) of those 26 QB's. WR Rasheed Bailey had a season for the ages and Chris Smallwood was first team All-MAC at RB. They will be missed.

If the rumors are true.........DelVal may have their next 10,000/1,000 QB transferring in come January or August. The defense is all back and will be a year older. Five injured starters will be ready and possibly 2013 All-MAC LB Kenner-English comes back. Some good looking RB's and WR's/TE's will be back as well. Greco & staff need to have a great recruiting year, including a few impact transfers. Maybe Coach Clements can help with some DII Kutztown transfers who may not see his field for a year or two  ;)

Football is over in Doylestown for the season. A MAC Championship is there for the taking for the Men's Basketball team and the wrestling team is ranked 4th in the country. All is not lost  :)

Prediction for next week:

If Widener's QB stays healthy (and their coaches game plan for CNU's running QB).....................

Widener - 51
Christopher Newport - 17

gordonmann

Wilmer had seven rushes for 40-something yards and two touchdowns before he hurt his hamstring. He didn't try to run the ball again, which took away a major weapon, and it looked like he was having trouble throwing the ball, too. That doesn't take away anything from Christopher Newport who completed a furious rally. Injuries are part of the game and just as easily could've happened against Lycoming, Montclair or any other game Del Val needed to win. But it certainly changed the Aggies' offense today.

Unfortunately for Aaron, his career ends like the other two great Del Val quarterbacks who were four year starters. Adam Knoblauch lost his last game at home in the playoffs to Rowan. Mike Isgro lost his last game at home in the playoffs to Albright.  At this time of year, everyone gets unhappy ending to their last game except one team. But that doesn't negate all the great memories they collect along the way.

Taking off my D3sports hat for a moment, I wanted to say quasi-publicly how much I enjoyed covering this group of seniors, particularly Aaron Wilmer and Rasheed Bailey.

In my opinion Aaron was the most the exciting quarterback Del Val has had, and that's saying something given that Knoblauch led a team who turned around this program. From Aaron's first start as a freshman, throwing a touchdown on fourth down in overtime to beat Muhlenberg, to his win over the Mules as a sophomore in the ECACs when he played through a bad shoulder, to all the big numbers he put up this year, Aaron was a tremendous play maker. You don't find many quarterbacks with his skill set -- rocket arm, great pocket awareness, Vick-like ability to keep plays alive. I had a chance to listen to visiting teams' radio guys describe his ability with a little bit of awe in their voice.  And I was incredibly lucky to get to watch him play on Saturdays for four years.

Rasheed had the best single season of any receiver at Del Val and is likely headed for All-American status at a position where it's really tough to do that. He matured into a tremendous blend of strength, route running and ability to beat defenders one-on-one by taking the ball from them. In his first season, Bailey caught a ball across the middle from Wilmer where he had to leap in the air and pull it down with two hands while contorting in the air. Former Aggie All-American David Carmon was on hand to watch the game and stood up to scream, "That's my boy!" after the catch.  Who would've guessed Bailey would pass Carmon in a lot of categories.

Congrats to the other seniors whom I've enjoyed meeting along the way including Rodney Linder, Brandon Snyder, Dave Driscoll, Matt Long and Chris Smallwood. Once the sting of today wears off, there will be a lot of great memories from watching this group of seniors.

bman

Well, Widener certainly escaped today....
First - need to address all the comments seen previously, that Muhlenberg was unworthy of a playoff spot...quite simply, not only were they worthy, but were worthy of a higher seed...and still highlighting the question of why they would be seeded and sent where they were...
Second - This game pitted the number 1 rushing defense in the nation(statistically) versus number 9...and I can tell you that on this day, the Mules rushing defense was much better than WU's.  I have felt for a few weeks, that the WU rating was bolstered in large part, by the fact that they have had leads, which shifted the focus of opponents to passing offense...I feel more strongly than ever, that this is a major factor in that ranking.  The Mules were stellar(for the most part) and incredible when backed up against the goal line...Widener simply couldn't run the ball inside the 10, especially when they needed to...
Third -  Not that it affected either team more (it actually killed both teams), but the officiating in this game was atrocious.  Missed blatant calls, an instance when they didn't know the downs, and a bizarre sequence at the end of the game that still leaves me scratching my head...

This was a game that the Mules have to be agonizing over tonight.  A combination of bizarre play calling (and decision making) and even more bizarre officiating, was the reason behind the Mules defeat.   I'd be interested to see any comments made by the Mules coaching staff on some of the play calling...

For those who did not see, the last 6 minutes of the game saw a series of bizarre events, that left me in amazement, and resulted in WU being able to mount a comeback...

With 5:23 left, and Muhlenberg up 35-31, Widener gets the kick-off and drives down the field.  Widener get's intercepted at the Muhlenberg 4 yard line...
Muhlenberg, gets the ball on their own 4 yard line with 3:55 to go...
(insert questionable play calling #1 notation here)
Throws! on first down...incomplete ...no need for WU timeout
They rush on 2nd down...good for 1 yd...Widener calls timeout...
Now, when milking clock is everything, Muhlenberg throws on 3rd down FROM THEIR 5 YARD LINE!
...naturally, the pass is picked off and is returned back to the Muhlenberg 5...

2 rushes for 4 yards, and 1 incomplete pass to Anthony Davis later, and with the clock at 2:10, Widener fails to get the play started in time...in fact, they went approximately 2 seconds over the expiration of the play clock...whistle blown and penalty called?...nope...play goes on...
Klein rolls o the right, has no receivers, turns up-field, and is pushed out of bounds by the pursuit...
(turnover on downs?) ...nope, but a flag was thrown in the end zone...
Delay of game?...nope
Defensive holding in the end zone...
So, ball is moved to the 1/2 yard line...
First and goal!
...nope
The down marker stays on 4th down...(Despite the NCAA Official Rules, Article 4, section I), which mandates first down...
(as a side note there was speculation on offsetting penalties, but since the wall was moved half the distance, we are assuming that wasn't the case)...
In any case, Widener attempts a QB sneak...(which beside the point, looked like he got about a yard into the end zone...but my view was bad, and I'm a homer)... but was called stopped short...
The officials award the ball to Muhlenberg...at their 1 yard line...
Game over?   Not by a longshot
(insert questionable play calling #2 notation here)
Muhlenberg on first down Throws the ball!
Incomplete...2nd down
Widener (now looking for the run) stuffs the 2nd down play (a run) for a 1 yd gain and forces WU to take timeout #2.
3rd down
Muhlenberg runs (seemingly) the exact same play (or at least to the same gap), and gets stuffed in the EZ for a safety...

Now WU has the ball with a free kick, down 2 points...which they take and start and advance to the Mules 39...
WU then drives down to the Mule's 12, before losing 3 yds to get the ball in the middle of the field.
The always unpredictable kicking game comes through and WU takes a 1 point lead with 10 seconds to go...

Muhlenberg, retrieves the kickoff and then completes a hail Mary (to the WU 15) ending the game...

Forget the officials incompetence...
If Muhlenberg runs on those 3 downs...game over for Widener

...crazy

Joe Vasile

Quote from: bman on November 22, 2014, 09:27:37 PM
With 5:23 left, and Muhlenberg up 35-31, Widener gets the kick-off and drives down the field.  Widener get's intercepted at the Muhlenberg 4 yard line...
Muhlenberg, gets the ball on their own 4 yard line with 3:55 to go...
(insert questionable play calling #1 notation here)
Throws! on first down...incomplete ...no need for WU timeout
They rush on 2nd down...good for 1 yd...Widener calls timeout...
Now, when milking clock is everything, Muhlenberg throws on 3rd down FROM THEIR 5 YARD LINE!
...naturally, the pass is picked off and is returned back to the Muhlenberg 5...

Reminds me of not one but two times during the 2012 season that the Pride were able to escape with victories because coaches chose to pass instead of run out the clock.  The first one was in the game at Leb Val the week after the 90-0 debacle vs Wilkes.  Leb Val had a 37-21 lead with 5:37 left.  Widener drives down and scores a TD, then on the ensuing drive Widener uses their second timeout with 2:27 left.  On 3rd and 6 from their own 36 with an 8 point lead LVC inexplicably passes the ball deep down the field - not even a quick pass - and it gets picked off and returned for a pick 6, two point conversion good, tie game.  LVC gets the ball back and Widener gets another pick 6 with :21 left on the clock, but it gets called back due to a penalty.  LVC misses FG and Widener kicks a FG in OT to win 40-37.

Then two weeks later at Lycoming it happened again.  The Pride just scored to make it 23-21 Warriors with 4:27 left.  Lyco picks up a first down and after a first down run goes nowhere Widener uses their final timeout with 2:32 left.  After a run, Lyco has to burn a timeout because they were up against the play clock with 1:43 to go, then on 3rd and 7 from their own 42, they pass incomplete and have to punt it back to the Pride.  Those two time clock management mistakes ended up biting the Warriors as Anthony Davis would score with :17 left in the game and Widener wins 28-23.

Wacky football...best of luck to the Pride as they take on CNU next week.
Broadcasting my way around the MAC:
Widener Pride football 2012-2013. 
Wilkes Colonels football and basketball 2014.
Lycoming Warriors football and basketball 2016.

The College of New Jersey Alumni, Class of 2014.

Anon E Moose

QuoteWell, Widener certainly escaped today....
First - need to address all the comments seen previously, that Muhlenberg was unworthy of a playoff spot...quite simply, not only were they worthy, but were worthy of a higher seed...and still highlighting the question of why they would be seeded and sent where they were...
Second - This game pitted the number 1 rushing defense in the nation(statistically) versus number 9...and I can tell you that on this day, the Mules rushing defense was much better than WU's.  I have felt for a few weeks, that the WU rating was bolstered in large part, by the fact that they have had leads, which shifted the focus of opponents to passing offense...I feel more strongly than ever, that this is a major factor in that ranking.  The Mules were stellar(for the most part) and incredible when backed up against the goal line...Widener simply couldn't run the ball inside the 10, especially when they needed to...
Third -  Not that it affected either team more (it actually killed both teams), but the officiating in this game was atrocious.  Missed blatant calls, an instance when they didn't know the downs, and a bizarre sequence at the end of the game that still leaves me scratching my head...

Bman- that's an excellent report on the game. Its one of the best football games I've ever attended-even though I didn't like the outcome. It was one of those games that neither team deserved to lose. It should certainly put to rest any notion that the Mules didn't deserve to be included in the playoffs. (It should really highlight just how good Hopkins is!) A game where both teams played so well should not have been affected by the officiating but this game unfortunately was. (I thought you were supposed to get the good refs in the playoffs!) You left out the intentional grounding/no intentional grounding call just before the game winning field goal. It was a little hard to see from the visitor's stands but it sure looked like the Widener QB dumped the ball to nobody in order to avoid the sack- that would have required a 10 second run off-or cost them the last time out- and pushed the ball back. (although who knows what would have happened since the referee did appear to be challenged by the rules at times) I don't know why they picked the flag up. But you're right-  Muhlenberg runs the ball 3 times coming out of the end zone and the game is over. I think that the Mules OC choked when they were faced with getting the ball out from the 1/2 yd line after the last goal line stand . The play calls just didn't make sense. I don't mean to be critical because I think he had a great game plan and otherwise called a brilliant game. (how do you argue with 565 yds in offense?) But wow! What a game. Two talented teams that both played really well. I just wish it was the Mules moving on.  Good luck to Widener against CNU. Actually you're not going to need it-you've got a great team.   

bman

Quote from: bman on November 22, 2014, 09:27:37 PM
Defensive holding in the end zone...
So, ball is moved to the 1/2 yard line...
First and goal!
...nope
The down marker stays on 4th down...(Despite the NCAA Official Rules, Article 4, section I), which mandates first down...
(as a side note there was speculation on offsetting penalties, but since the wall was moved half the distance, we are assuming that wasn't the case)...
...crazy

...this was bothering me a bit, so I asked a friend of mine who is an NCAA official, (and who coincidentally worked a Del Val game this year) about the circumstances..
He confirmed that the officals did make the correct call, since the QB never threw the ball...Had he thrown, it would have been first down...bust since he tucked the ball and ran, it's just replay of the down and half the distance...

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I was going to say something to the effect that it wasn't a passing play since the QB tucked and ran... thus not a passing penalty, just a run of the mill holding call. But thanks for checking on it for us.

Swish3

Does Widener have a chance this Saturday, bman? :)

I know you're a MAC guy, but do you know what happened to the regular Rowan posters from the glory days?

gordonmann

Wow, those guys haven't been on these boards in years.