FB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Adam Sayer, December 24, 2006, 10:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerd3db

What's the deal?  Rose-Hulman can only get 2,000 people (can't fill their 3,500 seat stadium) to come out for the Mount Union game?  Labor Day weekend is over, classes are in session, student's around-what's with that?  ???
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Pat Coleman

That's more than twice what they averaged for non-Homecoming home games last year.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 08, 2019, 07:55:07 PM
That's more than twice what they averaged for non-Homecoming home games last year.

Well, Pat, I guess that is, indeed, good.  Hope the upward trend will continue for them despite the opening season loss to Mount Union.

BTW, sorry about your Capital this weekend. :( (as I recall, that's your alma mater, correct?)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Pat Coleman

It is not, but my alma mater wasn't any more successful. :)
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Well, he got the first two letters right. And your alma mater is located in a capital. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 08, 2019, 09:57:15 PM
Well, he got the first two letters right. And your alma mater is located in a capital. ;)
Begins with a Ca... wow there's a bunch.
Cabrini, Cairn, Caltech, Calvin, Cazenovia don't play football
Cal Lutheran, Carleton, Carnegie Mellon, Carroll, Carthage, Case Western Reserve, Castleton aren't in a capital
and we've eliminated Capital.
I believe that leaves us with just one option... Cardinals ;)
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

formerd3db

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 08, 2019, 10:36:08 PM
Cal Lutheran, Carleton, Carnegie Mellon, Carroll, Carthage, Case Western Reserve, Castleton aren't in a capital
Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 08, 2019, 09:53:17 PM

Now where in the blazes did I get that from? ??? Duh, sorry guys! :-[ ::) ;D  That's what I get for a) it being late(r) on Sunday night doing this and b) being old and experiencing some "senior moments" from time to time, you know, a faulty memory. I hope you don't hold it against me!  Also, to add to that, my wife has always (and continues to) accuse me of "embellishing and/or getting part of the stories wrong," especially Hope College stories from back in our time there!  ::)

MUC57

Quote from: formerd3db on September 08, 2019, 11:05:15 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 08, 2019, 09:53:17 PM

Now where in the blazes did I get that from? ??? Duh, sorry guys! :-[ ::) ;D  That's what I get for a) it being late(r) on Sunday night doing this and b) being old and experiencing some "senior moments" from time to time, you know, a faulty memory. I hope you don't hold it against me!  Also, to add to that, my wife has always (and continues to) accuse me of "embellishing and/or getting part of the stories wrong," especially Hope College stories from back in our time there!  ::)

Hey doc

Hope you don't have a senior moment with scalpel in hand. Speaking of Hope, Go Flying Dutchmen!  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Pat Coleman

Ca-rect!  ;D

formerd3db

MUC57:

No way! That is one aspect that would never happen and has never happened to me, TG!  As important as college football (especially DIII) is to me, the other is way more important-hands down/no question, obviously.  Certainly can afford and be humble with an occasional mis-step here, but not with the other as that is unacceptable no matter which way you cut it (pun intended ;)) Again, that has never happened to me and never will.  I usually adhere to that old phrase..."Never say never", however, in this personal situation, that doesn't apply and I am not intending that as being "arrogant."

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes for Hope.  We will need to bounce back and I suspect we will have a very good chance at doing that this Saturday as we play Defiance at home and they appear to continue to be having a tough time now such as they have the past couple of years or so.  GO RAIDERS! :) 

MUC57

Quote from: formerd3db on September 09, 2019, 09:29:47 PM
MUC57:

No way! That is one aspect that would never happen and has never happened to me, TG!  As important as college football (especially DIII) is to me, the other is way more important-hands down/no question, obviously.  Certainly can afford and be humble with an occasional mis-step here, but not with the other as that is unacceptable no matter which way you cut it (pun intended ;)) Again, that has never happened to me and never will.  I usually adhere to that old phrase..."Never say never", however, in this personal situation, that doesn't apply and I am not intending that as being "arrogant."

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes for Hope.  We will need to bounce back and I suspect we will have a very good chance at doing that this Saturday as we play Defiance at home and they appear to continue to be having a tough time now such as they have the past couple of years or so.  GO RAIDERS! :)

Was just teasing you doc. You didn't really need the long explanation. Hey, you're one of the good guys on these boards. I always enjoy reading your posts and "chatting" with you.
Now, let's get Hope in the win column for the rest of the year. Go Flying Dutchmen!  8-)  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

FCGrizzliesGrad

Early games going about as expected... Hanover all over Adrian 42-0 in the 3rd, Hope returning the favor for the MIAA over Defiance 42-6 at halftime, and Bluffton down 28-13 to Trine at halftime. We've got 2 more MIAA matchups this evening which should both be good games.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

FCGrizzliesGrad

The HCAC have officially topped last year's non-conference win total with Hanover's 49-28 win. Hanover had a 42-0 lead in the 3rd quarter and was in full control even though they gave up some garbage time scores.

Bluffton goes down 35-20 to Trine.

Defiance is taking over Earlham's slot this season. They lose 80-6 to Hope. They've been outscored 136-12 this season.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

formerd3db

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 14, 2019, 04:13:22 PM
The HCAC have officially topped last year's non-conference win total with Hanover's 49-28 win. Hanover had a 42-0 lead in the 3rd quarter and was in full control even though they gave up some garbage time scores.

Defiance is taking over Earlham's slot this season. They lose 80-6 to Hope. They've been outscored 136-12 this season.

While it was obviously a good feeling for Hope to rebound today after last week's opening season loss at Millikin, I did feel sorry for Defiance.  They simply and progressively fell apart as the game continued.  A long TD run with just seconds into the game was a preview of what was to happen.  Hope broke its all-time scoring total against any opponent, breaking the previous record of 71 points scored against Ferris State way back in 1919.  Also, just in case-just to make it clear-there was no running up of the score.  Defiance provided Hope with scoring opportunities via interceptions and fumbles several times in the second half. As I mentioned, many of us felt sorry for the Defiance players and as the 4th quarter dragged on, we almost wished it would just get over with for the sake of Defiance, although this certainly provided an opportunity for many Hope reserve players to get some playing time experience.

Defiance is a very young team and their second year head coach (who has FBS, FCS, CFL, DIII, and NAIA coaching experience) has several new coaches on the staff even this year.  I had the opportunity to talk with one of their young underclassmen players on the sidelines at one point during the game and simply encouraged them to "Stay the Course" and do the best they could.  Defiance simply made too many mistakes today, although, honestly and obviously, Hope was way above their talent level.  Anyway, it's on to the next week for both.

The other two games you mention (Trine/Bluffton and Adrian/Hanover) went essentially as expected by many, I believe.  Although Albion appears to be very good (so far) this year, I was surprised that they beat Franklin.   

GrizFan

Quote from: formerd3db on September 14, 2019, 10:49:30 PM
Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 14, 2019, 04:13:22 PM

While it was obviously a good feeling for Hope to rebound today after last week's opening season loss at Millikin, I did feel sorry for Defiance.  They simply and progressively fell apart as the game continued.  A long TD run with just seconds into the game was a preview of what was to happen.  Hope broke its all-time scoring total against any opponent, breaking the previous record of 71 points scored against Ferris State way back in 1919.  Also, just in case-just to make it clear-there was no running up of the score.  Defiance provided Hope with scoring opportunities via interceptions and fumbles several times in the second half. As I mentioned, many of us felt sorry for the Defiance players and as the 4th quarter dragged on, we almost wished it would just get over with for the sake of Defiance, although this certainly provided an opportunity for many Hope reserve players to get some playing time experience.

Defiance is a very young team and their second year head coach (who has FBS, FCS, CFL, DIII, and NAIA coaching experience) has several new coaches on the staff even this year.  I had the opportunity to talk with one of their young underclassmen players on the sidelines at one point during the game and simply encouraged them to "Stay the Course" and do the best they could.  Defiance simply made too many mistakes today, although, honestly and obviously, Hope was way above their talent level.  Anyway, it's on to the next week for both.

The other two games you mention (Trine/Bluffton and Adrian/Hanover) went essentially as expected by many, I believe.  Although Albion appears to be very good (so far) this year, I was surprised that they beat Franklin.

Franklin is way down this year, not a surprise that Albion beat them.  Albion beat Franklin last season and they have all of their skill players back from last season.  Franklin lost a great deal of talent on offense and their defense is typical Franklin - not very good.