FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_mom

It seems so irrelevant after the last post, but Mr. Fat-Fingers did post spreads.
Never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

Blutarsky

Quote from: Dr. Acula on September 09, 2019, 11:55:45 AM
Belated thoughts after watching the game...

Personally, I loved the way the offense came out in the 1st.  Their first two drives were 2 touchdowns each under 50 seconds and totaling all of 5 plays.  They were doing whatever they wanted, especially running the ball, all game.  I thought the O line played well.  Petro had some massive lanes to run through.  I also noticed reviewing the roster that 3 of the 5 OL starters are 300 lbs.  It's been a while since they've had that kind of beef up front.

Fulford will certainly need to spread the ball around, but it was also week 1 with 2 new starters at WR.  RHIT had no prayer of covering Hill and Fulford obviously has a rapport with him so I was fine with him honing in on his guy early on.  Stick with your comfort zone early and then expand.  I really liked getting both Petro and Garcia involved in the passing game too.  Once upon a time that was used so effectively as a safety valve with Moore and Pugh.  Garcia did a nice job running and catching.  If he can emerge as a Justin Wray-type second back that'd be a fun wrinkle.

I think the single most important thing from this game was Braxton Plunk.  Obviously it's way too early to judge, but that looked like a Mount QB slinging the ball.  The one that raised my eyebrow was the 3rd and 8 throw on the sideline to Ruby.  11 yd out and that thing had some smoke on it.  He doesn't look like a burner straight line, but he definitely looked athletic moving around and scrambling.  The bottom line is after last season there was legit concern about if Fulford went down with an injury.  I feel much better about the backup QB today.

Defensively I was curious about the 4-3 thing too.  I'm no X's and O's guy so I don't know if the scheme was a true 4-3 or not.  The 3rd LB is Fisette who is a DB so I assumed it was still similar to the old 4-2-5 with Fisette being a hybrid?  I expected some hiccups especially in the secondary.  You have 4 new starters back there including 2 who are brand new to the schemes period (a transfer and a guy flipping over from WR).  It was too bad to see Griffin go down early.  Hopefully he is okay.  The DL as always did fine against the run, but I agree with whoever mentioned the less than stellar pass rush.  I was hoping from more there from a veteran group.

Of the new guys I thought Bradley played well at CB, Reed flashed some nice athleticism at WR on his TD and I liked Parker as the 4th(?) RB.  And yes, I realize how spoiled Mount fan it is to be talking about the 4th RB in week 1. 

I watched the BW game too.  They'll definitely be a tougher test than RHIT, but they don't have the horses to make this a close game IMO.  I don't like the front loaded schedule, but if it has to be front loaded this is the perfect progression to ramp up for JCU.  Plus maybe it's good to catch JCU earlier on with a new QB.  Plenty to work on for the Raiders the next couple of weeks, but if we're giving grades I would give the opener a B+.

Could it be that Mount is running the ol' 5-2-5 defense (per Pammie Ward/'06)??
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
                         --Dean Wormer

HScoach

The difference between a 4-3-4 and a 4-2-5 is usually more about body type of the swing backer/safety.  With the game going more and more to spread offenses the traditional nickel defense is becoming the "base" defense for many teams.  Hence the 4-2 being listed as the base instead of the historical 4-3.  The 3-3 stack is a completely different defensive scheme.  As is the traditional 3-4.  However the 4-2 and 4-3 are so similar that in my mind they are often minor tweaks to the same defensive scheme.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

raiderguy

Quote from: Blutarsky on September 10, 2019, 10:15:01 AM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on September 09, 2019, 11:55:45 AM
Belated thoughts after watching the game...

Personally, I loved the way the offense came out in the 1st.  Their first two drives were 2 touchdowns each under 50 seconds and totaling all of 5 plays.  They were doing whatever they wanted, especially running the ball, all game.  I thought the O line played well.  Petro had some massive lanes to run through.  I also noticed reviewing the roster that 3 of the 5 OL starters are 300 lbs.  It's been a while since they've had that kind of beef up front.

Fulford will certainly need to spread the ball around, but it was also week 1 with 2 new starters at WR.  RHIT had no prayer of covering Hill and Fulford obviously has a rapport with him so I was fine with him honing in on his guy early on.  Stick with your comfort zone early and then expand.  I really liked getting both Petro and Garcia involved in the passing game too.  Once upon a time that was used so effectively as a safety valve with Moore and Pugh.  Garcia did a nice job running and catching.  If he can emerge as a Justin Wray-type second back that'd be a fun wrinkle.

I think the single most important thing from this game was Braxton Plunk.  Obviously it's way too early to judge, but that looked like a Mount QB slinging the ball.  The one that raised my eyebrow was the 3rd and 8 throw on the sideline to Ruby.  11 yd out and that thing had some smoke on it.  He doesn't look like a burner straight line, but he definitely looked athletic moving around and scrambling.  The bottom line is after last season there was legit concern about if Fulford went down with an injury.  I feel much better about the backup QB today.

Defensively I was curious about the 4-3 thing too.  I'm no X's and O's guy so I don't know if the scheme was a true 4-3 or not.  The 3rd LB is Fisette who is a DB so I assumed it was still similar to the old 4-2-5 with Fisette being a hybrid?  I expected some hiccups especially in the secondary.  You have 4 new starters back there including 2 who are brand new to the schemes period (a transfer and a guy flipping over from WR).  It was too bad to see Griffin go down early.  Hopefully he is okay.  The DL as always did fine against the run, but I agree with whoever mentioned the less than stellar pass rush.  I was hoping from more there from a veteran group.

Of the new guys I thought Bradley played well at CB, Reed flashed some nice athleticism at WR on his TD and I liked Parker as the 4th(?) RB.  And yes, I realize how spoiled Mount fan it is to be talking about the 4th RB in week 1. 

I watched the BW game too.  They'll definitely be a tougher test than RHIT, but they don't have the horses to make this a close game IMO.  I don't like the front loaded schedule, but if it has to be front loaded this is the perfect progression to ramp up for JCU.  Plus maybe it's good to catch JCU earlier on with a new QB.  Plenty to work on for the Raiders the next couple of weeks, but if we're giving grades I would give the opener a B+.

Could it be that Mount is running the ol' 5-2-5 defense (per Pammie Ward/'06)??

I was trying to think of her name earlier thanks for the reminder. We apparently have been caught by the NCAA for playing our 5-2-5 defense. Now I guess it has to be legit going forward.8 ;D
WELCOME TO THE MACHINE!

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: HScoach on September 10, 2019, 11:04:27 AM
The difference between a 4-3-4 and a 4-2-5 is usually more about body type of the swing backer/safety.  With the game going more and more to spread offenses the traditional nickel defense is becoming the "base" defense for many teams.  Hence the 4-2 being listed as the base instead of the historical 4-3.  The 3-3 stack is a completely different defensive scheme.  As is the traditional 3-4.  However the 4-2 and 4-3 are so similar that in my mind they are often minor tweaks to the same defensive scheme.

Yes and no on the 4-3 vs 4-2-5.

I see more colleges running a 4-3 type defense against the Spread.   Playing Cover 2 or Cover 4 Behind it.  If a team runs multiple WR Sets, they'll widen one of the OLB out to cover the #2 WR to the field side.  They can also bring up a Safety in Run support and run cover 3 or man behind it.

I think the 4-2-5 is more dynamic.  The two SS type players are more hybrid SS/OLB and they can mix up the coverage a lot more with 5 DBs (rather than 4 DBs and a Hybrid OLB).  A lot more Split Coverage with Match up Zones to the Wide (Or Strong) Side and Man or traditional Zone coverage to the weak side.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

MUC57

Alliance Review - 9/11/2019

Mount Union's 2012 squad named to ESPN's 150 greatest teams.

The Raiders are THE ONLY Dlll team on the list.

The final list represents an array of styles and the teams range from one that played 131 years ago to two squads that played as recently as 2018.

Only Dlll team on the list!      GO RAIDERS!   ;D  ;D  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

MUC57

On a more somber note, let's not forget what happened on this day 18 years ago.

To all those who died and all those who assisted in the aftermath, we will never forget you!
To all those who tried to destroy our country or at least destroy our will, you don't know who you're messing with. We fought to establish this great country. We fought in numerous wars to preserve and protect this republic. This nation, under God, will persevere against all those who wish us harm.

May God bless America!  :'(

Dr. Acula

Quote from: MUC57 on September 11, 2019, 08:47:14 AM

Mount union's 2012 squad named to ESPN's 150 greatest teams.

The final list represents an array of styles and the teams range from one that played 131 years ago to two squads that played as recently as 2018.

That's pretty cool.  The only question I have is why 2012?  Is the 2012 team even in the top 5 Mount teams?  Is it because it was LK's final season maybe?  The 1997 team was the best team I've ever seen at Mount.  The playoff game against Allegheny (34-30) was the only time they were even challenged.  Other than that their next closest game was 38-14 over ONU.  They won their quarter, semi and Stagg games 59-7, 54-7, 61-12.     

MUC57

Quote from: Dr. Acula on September 11, 2019, 10:00:48 AM
Quote from: MUC57 on September 11, 2019, 08:47:14 AM

Mount union's 2012 squad named to ESPN's 150 greatest teams.

That's pretty cool.  The only question I have is why 2012?  Is the 2012 team even in the top 5 Mount teams?  Is it because it was LK's final season maybe?  The 1997 team was the best team I've ever seen at Mount.  The playoff game against Allegheny (34-30) was the only time they were even challenged.  Other than that their next closest game was 38-14 over ONU.  They won their quarter, semi and Stagg games 59-7, 54-7, 61-12.   

Dr.

I also wondered why 2012! I'm sure you and I can think of some other great Mount Union teams. But, what the hell. If you read the article, maybe you'll see their rationale for this selection.
In any event, pretty damn nice. Go Raiders!   ;D

bluestreak66

Quote from: MUC57 on September 11, 2019, 09:24:39 AM

To all those who died and all those who assisted in the aftermath, we will never forget you!
To all those who tried to destroy our country or at least destroy our will, you don't know who you're messing with. We fought to establish this great country. We fought in numerous wars to preserve and protect this republic. This nation, under God, will persevere against all those who wish us harm.

I second that!
John Carroll Athletics posted a story about how the attacks affected the sports teams. Apparently at the football game immediately following the attacks (JCU vs. Mount), the captains for both teams met in the middle of the field, and together unfurled a large American flag. At the end of the day, no matter what divides us, we need to always remember the great dream that is America, and that our differences are what make us strong.

"Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve"-George W. Bush
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

MUC57

Quote from: bluestreak66 on September 11, 2019, 04:43:11 PM
Quote from: MUC57 on September 11, 2019, 09:24:39 AM

I second that!
John Carroll Athletics posted a story about how the attacks affected the sports teams. Apparently at the football game immediately following the attacks (JCU vs. Mount), the captains for both teams met in the middle of the field, and together unfurled a large American flag. At the end of the day, no matter what divides us, we need to always remember the great dream that is America, and that our differences are what make us strong.

"Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve"-George W. Bush

Mount Union played Otterbein in the first game after the attack - in Alliance. I have a great photo showing Mount players and Otterbein players (I think team captains) holding hands, facing the scoreboard. On the scoreboard is an American flag, the word "America" and the clock shows 9 11. Very moving.
Nice tribute by you, 66. I'd like to think we speak for lots of Americans.
         GO AMERICA!  🇺🇸

MUC57

Besides Dr. Acula, and a few others, is anyone else out there? We have received two nice honors from ESPN. Picked in the top 150 programs in football (No. 16 and the highest Dlll school) and in the top 150 greatest teams (The 2012 team, the only Dlll team recognized). Come on, guys (and gals). Where's the excitement? Where's the cheering?
Get on this board. Let's talk about the Raiders and the OAC. Let's discuss other teams around the area and the nation.
The season is on! Go Raiders!  8-)  ::)  ;D

bluestreak66

Quote from: MUC57 on September 13, 2019, 02:27:20 PM
Besides Dr. Acula, and a few others, is anyone else out there? We have received two nice honors from ESPN. Picked in the top 150 programs in football (No. 16 and the highest Dlll school) and in the top 150 greatest teams (The 2012 team, the only Dlll team recognized). Come on, guys (and gals). Where's the excitement? Where's the cheering?
Get on this board. Let's talk about the Raiders and the OAC. Let's discuss other teams around the area and the nation.
Don't look at me. I have a bye week!  ;)
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

HScoach

Quote from: bluestreak66 on September 13, 2019, 04:15:57 PM

Likewise!
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

MUC57

Quote from: bluestreak66 on September 13, 2019, 04:15:57 PM

Actually, me too. Although tomorrow, at 12:00, in Alliance, the Raiders JV plays the Blue Streaks JV.
I'll be there. Of course, alums, of either school, who live in Chicago, probably won't be there.
Best to both teams.  ;D

(At least our helmets have a name on them!)  8-)  ::)  ;D