East Region Fan Poll

Started by pg04, July 05, 2007, 09:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesleydad

Down to just 12 teams getting votes.  Some real interesting games this week.  Hopefully the weather stays south and doesn't ruin them.

MRMIKESMITH

The weather will play a big part in this weeks games along the east cost, however this is where coaching plays a big part. Players will become more conservative in their play, thus being able to when the game in the trenches is going to be a big part.

wesleydad

waiting for 1 more ballot, will post something tomorrow.

wesleydad

Total   
1         50   Brockport
2         44   Wesley
3         41   Frost
4         28   RPI
5         27   Ithaca
6         26   Cortland
7         23   Union
8         19   Salis
9         8   Del Val
10         4   Alfred

orv         2   rowan
orv         2   spring
orv         1   w conn

Vote Breakdown               
brock   1   1   1   1   1
wesley   2   2   2   2   3
frost           3   3   3   3   2
rpi           5   6   5   4   7
ithaca   4   8   4   8   4
cortland   6   5   6   6   6
union   8   4   8   7   5
salis           7   7   7   5   10
del val   10   9   x   9   8
alfred   9   x   9   x   x

rowan   x   10   10   x   x
spring   x   x   x   x   9
w conn   x   x   x   10   x

Key East Region Games this week   

orv Rowan v  3 Frostburg   
Lycoming v FDU Florham   
Montclair St v CNU   
6 Cortland v 10 Alfred

only 5 ballots this week.  If I get the last one I will update it.   

wesleydad

Top 8 are on everyone's ballot.  The Del Val on 4, the others hit or miss.  I think there is another group of teams that are being considered, which is why I included the Lyco v FDU and Mont v CNU games as key.  Looks like 3 groups in the East.

MRMIKESMITH

Depending on the injury situations with Springfield QBs, I think they are still a Top 10 East team. I have them at 9. I know from experience losing a QB, yet alone two in one game and change the dynamic of a game or season.

Pat Coleman

... right, especially with an option offense.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

UfanBill

Quote from: MANDGSU on September 19, 2018, 11:53:42 AM
Depending on the injury situations with Springfield QBs, I think they are still a Top 10 East team. I have them at 9. I know from experience losing a QB, yet alone two in one game and change the dynamic of a game or season.
I'd have to disagree with you on this one. While Springfield may very well roll through the very weak NEWMAC they are not top 10 in the East worthy regardless of their QB situation. I was at the Union vs Springfield game Saturday. To be a top 10 team you have to perform on both sides of the ball and in all facets of the game. Springfield is a one trick pony. With proper QB play they run the option very well but they have NO passing attack. Evidence being that even when behind in the 2nd half against Union they attempted only 2 passes. For the season they are a pitiful 1-9 for 14 yards  :o yikes! Defensively they're OK but they could not contain Union's passing attack, maybe because in practice they have nothing comparable from a scout team perspective to practice against. Add to it that the NEWMAC champ does not get an automatic NCAA bid this year and they are not worthy IMHO.   
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: UfanBill on September 19, 2018, 02:02:23 PM
I'd have to disagree with you on this one. While Springfield may very well roll through the very weak NEWMAC they are not top 10 in the East worthy regardless of their QB situation. I was at the Union vs Springfield game Saturday. To be a top 10 team you have to perform on both sides of the ball and in all facets of the game. Springfield is a one trick pony. With proper QB play they run the option very well but they have NO passing attack. Evidence being that even when behind in the 2nd half against Union they attempted only 2 passes. For the season they are a pitiful 1-9 for 14 yards  :o yikes! Defensively they're OK but they could not contain Union's passing attack, maybe because in practice they have nothing comparable from a scout team perspective to practice against. Add to it that the NEWMAC champ does not get an automatic NCAA bid this year and they are not worthy IMHO.

Trust me I know what the option attack is and what it can and can't do. I watched, lived, and watched it again. I've seen the good, bad, and ugly of it. All I am saying is that when an "Option team" loses its two starting QB's in a key game, it effects not only the offense, but the defense as well, especially when that is your identity as a team. When you hear teams like Springfield and Salisbury, you think about the option.  Running the option allows for you to control time of possession on occasions. Also, with the 3rd string QB in, I am sure the O Coordinator could not run the full "passing" attack, he probably only knew 4 to 5 plays (10 running the opposite direction).

Ice Bear

Quote from: MANDGSU on September 19, 2018, 05:57:55 PM

Trust me I know what the option attack is and what it can and can't do. I watched, lived, and watched it again. I've seen the good, bad, and ugly of it. All I am saying is that when an "Option team" loses its two starting QB's in a key game, it effects not only the offense, but the defense as well, especially when that is your identity as a team. When you hear teams like Springfield and Salisbury, you think about the option.  Running the option allows for you to control time of possession on occasions. Also, with the 3rd string QB in, I am sure the O Coordinator could not run the full "passing" attack, he probably only knew 4 to 5 plays (10 running the opposite direction).

Dutch Boy feels this is accurate and being a fan of and having watched the Pride play Union for many years Dutch Boy has seen very strong Pride teams fall apart at the loss of the first string QB. He also knows from his ****ing love and obsession with the triple option that timing, familiarity, anticipation, and chemistry may even be more important between the starting QB and his surrounding cast. With that said he thinks this can be said, although not with as much certainty and consistency, for most D3 football teams. It seems that the drop off from starter to back up is usually quite steep.

Is Springfield a top 10 team without Shade? Dutch Boy really doesn't think so. Are they with him? After Saturday he really doesn't know. He is certainly not downplaying the potential of his beloved Dutchmen, however he is going to need to see them either play very close to and/or defeat the likes of Hobart, **** ass RPI, and Ithaca (who dlip now believes is the best team in the LL) to show that they were/are good enough to dominate a team that really deserved to be rated #25 in the nation.

Dutch Boy really hopes Shade is ok and the Pride run the table from here on out. However if he's in real bad shape...so is the Pride.
A long time fan of DIII Football!

UfanBill

Not to start a pissing match here but why should I "trust" you when I can trust my own eyes and the stats. With 1st string QB Chad Shade playing Springfield does not throw the ball. He's 1 for 7, 14 yds. Saturday the 3rd string QB, actually a RB, was 0-2 in the 2nd half when playing from behind. If they get behind they are not equipped, especially if their opponent can control their running game.Remember the premise is...are they a top ten in the East worthy team. Are they the best team in New England?...maybe. Are they better than say Alfred, Cortland, Del. Vly, Rowan, Stevenson, Hobart, etc.?...No chance.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Bombers798891

I doubt many teams would be in good shape if they had to go from their first string to 3rd string quarterback in a game unexpectedly, option or no

wesleydad

Quote from: UfanBill on September 20, 2018, 12:25:23 AM

Not to start a pissing match here but why should I "trust" you when I can trust my own eyes and the stats. With 1st string QB Chad Shade playing Springfield does not throw the ball. He's 1 for 7, 14 yds. Saturday the 3rd string QB, actually a RB, was 0-2 in the 2nd half when playing from behind. If they get behind they are not equipped, especially if their opponent can control their running game.Remember the premise is...are they a top ten in the East worthy team. Are they the best team in New England?...maybe. Are they better than say Alfred, Cortland, Del. Vly, Rowan, Stevenson, Hobart, etc.?...No chance.

They did drop off 4 of the 5 ballots.

wesleydad

Total   
1   50   Brockport
2   44   Wesley
3   41   Frostburg
4   34   RPI
5   25   Salisbury
6   24   Ithaca
7   23   Union
8   14   Del Val
9   12   Alfred
T10   3   Montclair St.
T10   3   W. Conn.

orv   2   Cortland
orv   1   MIT

Vote Breakdown

Brockport   1   1   1   1   1
Wesley   2   2   2   2   3
Frostburg   3   3   3   3   2
RPI           4   5   4   4   4
Salisbury   5   6   6   5   8
Ithaca   6   9   5   7   5
Union   7   4   8   6   7
Del Val   9   7   x   8   6
Alfred   8   8   7   9   x
Mont St   x   10   10   x   10
W Conn   x   x   x   10   9

Cortland   x   x   9   x   x
MIT          10   x   x   x   x

Key East Region Games this week   

orv Cortland v Utica   
8 Del Val v Stevenson   
Merchant Marine v orv MIT   

Voters         
Wesleydad, The Osprey, Rams 1102, UfanBill, MANDGSU              

UfanBill

Little to no disagreement on placings in the Fan Poll this week apparently means no banter. With league play getting into full swing in the next couple weeks I'd expect that to change.
    Four conferences, the NJAC, MAC, LL and the E8, dominate the poll but there are four other conferences to keep an eye on. As a voter in this poll I have to consider trying to determine the best team in New England. For now I have given that position and a #10 vote to Western Connecticut of the MASCAC. They're 3-0 with wins over two of the stronger teams in New England,,,Plymouth State and Salve Regina. Other teams on my radar are Framingham and Mass- Dartmouth of the MASCAC and MIT, USMMA and Springfield of the NEWMAC, which has no automatic tourney bid again this year thus relegating them to Pool B. Husson the ECFC favorite, with 2 losses already, will still probably emerge with that conferences pool A bid.  Then there's Western New England, the defending champ and favorite in the CCC. The fourth New England league and the strongest ??? the NESCAC, has the only New England team currently receiving votes in the D3football top 25. That team is Trinity(Ct). To those who might not know the NESCAC plays a closed schedule and does not participate in the NCAA tourney.