Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCF

Well, the Cardinals, opened their season with a 16-8 victory over Beloit. Now it's a spring trip break out to the west coast.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

amh63

Vandy 74....I enjoy women lacrosse over the men's version.  The men's version is getting rough again, IMO.  It was rough in my days when most of the players were also football players and mainly preppies that learned the game in schools like Deerfield, Andover, Etc.   Been following the women's version since the late 90's...when a work related friend....a Johns Hopkins grad...where the sport is really serious :) would go watch games at Hopkins.  Went to a number of Amherst women's games in the post season...in Baltimore, in New Jersey and at the shore near Ocean City...within a couple of hours driving time.  Of course, there was always the hurdle to get by Middlebury  for a Title. :)

With the growth of the sport around the country, there is talent galore to spread around...and the rise of the skill level in D3 is amazing.  For Amherst, many great players come from the Baltimore region and slowly from the region around Washington.  I know you are aware of all I have mentioned.  Amherst's men's team has 50 players!  Good grief!  I have a old style lacrosse stick in my office...wood and cat gut... also have a bamboo fly fishing rod hanging around....both gathering dust since I have no skill in either sports.....a collector vice a player.

NCF

The North Central women have now dropped two out west. Whittier won 10-12 on Monday, while Occidental scored a 14-9 victory yesterday. The Cardinals play Pomona-Pitzer on Thursday before traveling to Linfield for a game on Saturday before returning home.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

Vandy74

Quote from: NCF on March 26, 2014, 12:38:10 PM
The North Central women have now dropped two out west. Whittier won 10-12 on Monday, while Occidental scored a 14-9 victory yesterday. The Cardinals play Pomona-Pitzer on Thursday before traveling to Linfield for a game on Saturday before returning home.

The Cardinals would have handled Whittier (rather easily I expect) if it hadn't been just their 2nd game of the season and 1st of a long trip West.  Occidental and Pomona-Pitzer are another matter.  P-P beat Carthage yesterday 18-7 (I think).  The best of the new kids on the block in the Midwest playing against the best of the more established West Coast programs.  Augustana beat Redlands in the NCAA last season remember.  Good competition to be expected here.

Amh63...good to see you here again.  Several things to respond to but need to do a bit of research first.  I'm up to my neck in fantasy baseball draft day prep at the moment but will get on it asap.  Middlebury women at Amherst on Saturday is see.  Both 3-0 in the NESCAC with similar victories over Bowdoin and both undefeated although the Panthers have to play at Franklin & Marshall tonight.

magicman

Vandy and amh63.

So this is where you guys disappear to. Vandy, I remember this winter you mentioned the lacrosse boards and now I understand your involvement with the Midd coach being a family member. I kind of follow the Middlebury women as they usually give the results of their games here on my local tv channel 5. I knew they had a long history of doing well in the NCAA's, now I know why. 33 years as the head coach for Missy Foote....WOW. And win #400 just the other day..double WOW. You and your brother must be proud. 8-)

amh63...I saw your post on the SUNYAC hoops board and that is what led me over here. Also saw your karma was +287. That was the same number as mine so I had to give you +k so you could say you're one up on me. :D I gave you one as well Vandy so you needn't feel left out. ;D

I grew up in Carthage New York. One of my good friends when I was 14 through 21 years old was a guy my age named Larry Powell. This was back in the 1960's and lacrosse was not a sport that was played at the local high school. I went away to college and settled in Plattsburgh in the 70's and lacrosse still wasn't a sport played by any of the local schools in this area. (still isn't). My buddy Larry Powell stayed in Carthage, got married and started to raise a family. Fast forward to the mid 90's and here's the result of the family Larry started back in the 70's.

http://cuse.com/news/2006/10/27/powells.aspx#.UzR9ImeYZjo

From what I gather he produced 3 of the greatest Lacrosse players that have ever played the game.
The three in the picture from left to right are Casey, Ryan and Mikey. Casey looks just like his father.
The brothers all went on to have great careers in the MLL and win numerous awards in the pros.

I know there is a 4th brother named Mason who was born in 1994 and was supposed to play lacrosse at Cortland State last year but I don't believe he did. Not sure where he ended up. He was also a goalie on his high school hockey team that won a state championship, so maybe he went that route instead.

I suppose I'll have to lurk here now that I know Vandy  and amh63 are hanging out here. I won't have much to contribute but I'll at least learn a few things I'm sure. Hope I didn't bore you with my little story of the Powells.       

Vandy74

I've never known you to be boring magicman.  Thanks for the Syracuse Lacrosse history lesson.  I'm sure that neither the Powell nor the Gait brothers will mind me giving mention of another Syracuse Lax All-American by the name of Jim Brown.  1956_43 goals in 10 games_to rank # 2 that year.  Here are a few YouTube clips that should keep everyone concerned happy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujltXvkQK_g
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHcnPAhXWY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYemQAiEY74

Back to women's action Middlebury defeated #4 Franklin & Marshall 14-5 tonight to go 7-0 on the season.  Next stop is Amherst on Saturday.  Are you ready amh63?

NCF

Quote from: Vandy74 on March 27, 2014, 10:21:08 PM
I've never known you to be boring magicman.  Thanks for the Syracuse Lacrosse history lesson.  I'm sure that neither the Powell nor the Gait brothers will mind me giving mention of another Syracuse Lax All-American by the name of Jim Brown.  1956_43 goals in 10 games_to rank # 2 that year.  Here are a few YouTube clips that should keep everyone concerned happy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujltXvkQK_g
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHcnPAhXWY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYemQAiEY74

Back to women's action Middlebury defeated #4 Franklin & Marshall 14-5 tonight to go 7-0 on the season.  Next stop is Amherst on Saturday.  Are you ready amh63?
Congrats on your 200th post!!! And for bringing new blood to the lax board. :)

magicman

Vandy,

Living a scant 65 miles from Syracuse and following the Orangemen through football season after football season growing up, I was well aware of Jim Brown's All American lacrosse career as well as his storied football legacy. I just figured one Syracuse story was enough for the time being. ;D But glad you posted what you did...it brings back some good memories.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think there was talk that Jim Brown could have been an All American in a 3rd sport, Track and Field, if he had decided to do so. 8-) 

madzillagd

Well the Linfield women picked up their first win in two years beating Aurora yesterday. Fun to see the niece out there and sure glad I was watching online instead of freezing on the sidelines. Nice way to start the trip in Illinois so they can enjoy themselves the next couple of days as they likely go back to getting pummeled.

amh63

Vandy....am I ready?   Had to do some homework...to support my mouth.  With all the battles between our schools in '01, '02, '03 for the National titles...not really to be truthful.  I attended those games in Baltimore, Glassboro, NJ, and Gettysburg.  Middlebury won 2 out of three.
Looked over the rosters....seems the Panthers' star is the only one from MD in both rosters...see a high number of players from NJ these days.  Interesting...good state for both basketball and lacrosse players.
The game on Sat. Is on webcast at Amherst....will you be coming down with the team?  If so, wave and I will look for it.  The men's game is up in VT.    Should be a good game.  The Amherst star seems to be the tall player with the name starting with Z...she was a star on the field hockey squad...has quite a motor :)

The story wrt to Jim Brown...one at least among many....is that he was a better stick player than a football player and that he liked lacrosse better.

Vandy74

Quote from: madzillagd on March 28, 2014, 10:33:39 AM
Well the Linfield women picked up their first win in two years beating Aurora yesterday. Fun to see the niece out there and sure glad I was watching online instead of freezing on the sidelines. Nice way to start the trip in Illinois so they can enjoy themselves the next couple of days as they likely go back to getting pummeled.

Congratulations to Linfield on snapping the losing streak.  They have a good shot this afternoon against Benedictine as well, IMO.  Agreed on the wisdom of watching online rather than in person. ::) ;D

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on March 28, 2014, 10:47:25 AM
Vandy....am I ready?   Had to do some homework...to support my mouth.  With all the battles between our schools in '01, '02, '03 for the National titles...not really to be truthful.  I attended those games in Baltimore, Glassboro, NJ, and Gettysburg.  Middlebury won 2 out of three.
Looked over the rosters....seems the Panthers' star is the only one from MD in both rosters...see a high number of players from NJ these days.  Interesting...good state for both basketball and lacrosse players.
The game on Sat. Is on webcast at Amherst....will you be coming down with the team?  If so, wave and I will look for it.  The men's game is up in VT.    Should be a good game.  The Amherst star seems to be the tall player with the name starting with Z...she was a star on the field hockey squad...has quite a motor :)

The story wrt to Jim Brown...one at least among many....is that he was a better stick player than a football player and that he liked lacrosse better.

amh63.....I will be joining you watching Saturday's game online.  Actually I'm not sure the team is coming home to VT before the game, it being possibly the last leg of their Spring Break trip.  Midd over Amherst in 1999 and 2001.  Amherst beats Middlebury in 2003.  Let's do it again this year.  Like I said before I have several things to tell you via PM rather than post and in a day or so will have time to do that properly.  That said, you might be interested in knowing that one of the better developing women's lax programs in the Midwest is Concordia (Wis) which has been built from scratch over the last three years by HC Emily Mason who captained both the women's lax and ice hockey teams at Connecticut College and whose mom is long time (29 years) women's lax HC at Williams, Christine Mason.

And yes, someone told me long ago that lacrosse was Jim Brown's favorite sport.  I wasn't telling magicman anything he didn't already know.

NCF

Ouch! The Cardinals go 0-fer on their west coast trip, dropping a 13-8 decision to Pomona-Pitzer yesterday. Hopefully, they can salvage their spring break trip with a victory over Linfield tomorrow. :P

amh63

Vandy....thanks for jogging my memory on the 1999 title lost to the panthers at JHU.  Remember that I had gone there several times.  The 2001 loss to your Panthers in the Title game was in OT by 1 goal!  Somewhere in that period of title battles, I remember a fine Amherst player that was from a HS next to Middlebury.  Another was a transfer from Goucher College...the college that Dave of Hoopsville is from...and broadcasted out of for a time.   Will come back with the VT player....remember that her father may have worked at Middlebury...maybe you may know the family.

Back...the VT player was from Cornwall...from a HS...called Middlebury Union.  The player was Alison Aldrich, Amherst '04.  Liz Martin was the Baltimore transfer and also graduated in '04.
I remember, because she would fly down the field...outrunning the defenders, with her ponytail trailing...a 5'10" player.  Her classmate Liz was a very skilled player around the net and a great scorer.
The days before the goggles and pads.

madzillagd

Woohoo! Fun one with Linfield pulling out the victory with a goal with 10 secs left.  Benedictine led by a couple for most of the 1st half and about 10 mins into the 2nd half.  Linfield finally tied it up 10-10 at the 18:54 mark but Benedictine grabbed the lead again less than a minute later.  Linfield grabbed their first lead of the game at the 15:00 mark and held that lead up until 1:06 to go when Benedictine tied it up 14-14. 

For the final scoring play Benedictine actually had the ball in front of the Linfield goal but an offensive penalty was called with 22 seconds left.  Linfield had a open field in front of them, cleared it - couple of nice passes and clean catches got them down the field in a hurry, Shelby Duarte got the game winner with 10 seconds left; her 7th goal of the game.