FBS CFP vs. D3 Playoffs

Started by tweisman5, December 04, 2017, 06:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tweisman5

After watching selection Sunday for the FBS it started my brain to think how either system would work for the FBS or D3. What if the FBS decided to implement the setup that D3 employees by rewarding each of the Power 5 conference champions with a Pool A "AQ" bid, while Pool B would be the Independents and non-AQ conference members, and Pool C would be the remaining at-larges. I could see them using an 8 team format with 5 Pool A bids, 1 Pool B bid, and 2 Pool C bids. Additionally, in order to prevent players from being subject to further health safety concerns the season would likely need to be reduced to either a 11 game season or keep 12 games, but remove the conference championship games.

Now what if D3 followed the current CFP setup by having a 4 team format with a selection committee determining the four best teams to compete. It would be a difficult task under the current setup of a 10 game season, thus; I would imagine the season expanding to a 12 game season employed just like our FBS peers.

I think both systems have their pros and cons. The CFP has a very subjective task of determining who is worthy of being deemed one of the four best teams; meanwhile, the D3 playoffs are much more objective, but subject to more risk of upsets to the probable national title contending teams.

Please reply and voice your opinion on the topic. Which system do you prefer? Do you like the current setup of either system? If not, how would you change them?

*I'm a graduate of a D3 University, Stevenson University (Go Mustangs!), and follow both D3 and FBS football religiously. I'm familiar with both systems, but thought it would be worthy of discussion the merits of both systems and what could be changed. I copied this topic to 247sports Maryland board to get an FBS audience perspective too.
Go Mustangs!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: tweisman5 on December 04, 2017, 06:40:41 PM
After watching selection Sunday for the FBS it started my brain to think how either system would work for the FBS or D3. What if the FBS decided to implement the setup that D3 employees by rewarding each of the Power 5 conference champions with a Pool A "AQ" bid, while Pool B would be the Independents and non-AQ conference members, and Pool C would be the remaining at-larges. I could see them using an 8 team format with 5 Pool A bids, 1 Pool B bid, and 2 Pool C bids. Additionally, in order to prevent players from being subject to further health safety concerns the season would likely need to be reduced to either a 11 game season or keep 12 games, but remove the conference championship games.

Now what if D3 followed the current CFP setup by having a 4 team format with a selection committee determining the four best teams to compete. It would be a difficult task under the current setup of a 10 game season, thus; I would imagine the season expanding to a 12 game season employed just like our FBS peers.

I think both systems have their pros and cons. The CFP has a very subjective task of determining who is worthy of being deemed one of the four best teams; meanwhile, the D3 playoffs are much more objective, but subject to more risk of upsets to the probable national title contending teams.

Please reply and voice your opinion on the topic. Which system do you prefer? Do you like the current setup of either system? If not, how would you change them?

Before the Pool A bid system in D3, last used in 1998, (before D3football.com which is almost as important a reference in time as B.C.E and C.E./Anno Domini  ;)  ), there was a 16-game playoff selected by committee. Undefeated team(s) in the South Region stayed home.

Keep the current system versus a CFP style.

tweisman5

Here is some food of thought: https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-make-college-football-playoff-even-better-032144320.html

It is similar to what I think should be proposed for the FBS. This system would move them similar to the D3 model.
Go Mustangs!

tweisman5

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 04, 2017, 06:45:43 PM
Quote from: tweisman5 on December 04, 2017, 06:40:41 PM

Before the Pool A bid system in D3, last used in 1998, (before D3football.com which is almost as important a reference in time as B.C.E and C.E./Anno Domini  ;)  ), there was a 16-game playoff selected by committee. Undefeated team(s) in the South Region stayed home.

Keep the current system versus a CFP style.

I personally agree that the current CFP system has been proven to be not effective at removing human bias towards certain regions. Your example is a good one for reason why a subjective committee choosing teams is unfair.
Go Mustangs!

Ron Boerger

Every NCAA team sport follows the Pool A, B, C model except FBS and D1 basketball, but basketball at least does 32 AQs + 36 at-large so everyone who wins their conference gets into the playoff.  FBS is an outlier and not a good one as the CFP ranking process always omits teams like UCF for "not being good enough" despite being undefeated.   

Bombers798891

The FBS model simply wouldn't work in D-III.

There's too many teams, not enough parity, too few games in the regular season, and with budget realities, no real way for the elite teams around the country to play each other, or in many cases, even have a common opponent. So you have a situation like 2013, where you have your top 6 teams at 9-0 or 10-0, and the question of "Who's number 5?" is simply unknowable.

jknezek

Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 05, 2017, 10:45:04 AM
Every NCAA team sport follows the Pool A, B, C model except FBS and D1 basketball, but basketball at least does 32 AQs + 36 at-large so everyone who wins their conference gets into the playoff.  FBS is an outlier and not a good one as the CFP ranking process always omits teams like UCF for "not being good enough" despite being undefeated.   

Yes. But you don't kill the golden goose. And with the NCAA in charge of the tournament, the conferences and teams love to be the ones in charge of FBS. So I really don't expect it to change much, though I do think we will eventually get an 8 team tournament. That is good enough for me. It might still screw over the G5 teams, but I think that is something they are just going to have to live with. They aren't going to be allowed equal footing.

HansenRatings

I think the divisional structure of most of the FBS conferences would need to go it they enacted AQs. Someone on reddit r/CFB (can't find the link) looked at what an 8 team playoff would have actually looked like with this format, and there are a multitude of Top 4 teams that would have been left out over the last few years. I'm a fan of either conference pods or Nate Silver's idea for conference scheduling. If something like that were enacted, which would help ensure the "best" team actually won the championship, then I would be in favor of the 8-team playoff.
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 05, 2017, 10:45:04 AM

FBS (CFP) is an outlier because it isn't run by the NCAA.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Teamski

A little late to this discussion, but there is no doubt that the bowl system is a farce to the highest degree.  To see teams like Wisconsin and UCF win out and to think what kind of damage they could have done in a playoff system is tragic.  I know, it is all about money.  But what it fails at is integrity.  You end up rewarding the SEC for their supposed superiority and take that decision out of the hands of the players themselves.  I hope that common decency will ultimately prevail and we get at least a 16 team playoff at some point.  Watching bowl games between 6-6 teams is an absolute joke.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.