Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Palmer

Quote from: miacmaniac on March 02, 2018, 10:45:15 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 02, 2018, 01:38:02 AM
Quote from: miacmaniac on March 01, 2018, 11:03:32 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 01, 2018, 08:36:52 PM
Quote from: txg on March 01, 2018, 12:43:04 PM
MIAC dream scenario.  Johnnies (good chance) and Oles (decidedly less good chance) advance from their pods.  I think Johnnies would host the Sectionals, as Washington is over 500 miles from both SJU and STO.  A nice MIAC doubleheader on 3/9.  Let's call it a 15-to-1 shot.

Make it happen, universe.

It depends on all four teams. If there is someone in the middle, it will move. Not just one team (WashU) not getting to somewhere else. Granted, with Whitman, WashU, UWP (or St. Oles), and SJU.. it looks favorable for the Tommies..,. but still need to win. :)
Are you saying that the NCAA would ask UST to host? Or that it would boot one of the 4 teams that advance in favor of the Tommies??  ;) ;D

I'm sure Dave means the Johnnies. But I'm guessing he hasn't checked the map. Wash U to SJU is 637 miles. With those four schools, Platteville is the only one where two schools can bus.
I was pretty sure that's what he meat too....but it's a mix-up akin of calling a Hatfield "McCoy"  or saying "the Minnesota Packers" (which is awkward to even type!)  :)

No, DP, I wasn't being testy, and sorry if I came across that way.... and you didn't say "However, it does seem a little unusual to see 5 forwards and one post player named to the First team"-- I did  :)  I'm starting to worry about your Palmer-- first you call Olmscheid a Johnnie  and then you attribute my quote to yourself....what next?  Talking about Minneapolis Lakers in the present tense?  :D

Lastly--- Happy Tourney Tip Off Friday to everyone! May the MIAC go 3-0 tonight (or 6-0 if you include the ladies)

At least when I'm wrong I'll admit it, unlike other posters on this board.

Here's my original post, typos and all:

Quote from: Drake Palmer on February 27, 2018, 10:45:09 PM
Quote from: miacmaniac on February 27, 2018, 05:55:20 PM
Awards for the season are out....no major surprises"
http://www.miacathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/releases/20180223w7srmo 

I am perplexed how five forwards & one post constitutes an All-Conference "team" and the 2nd team has four guards and one forward but it is far better than 18 "first team" and a handful of Honorable mentions   

Mose, you must keep in mind this is only the second year the MIAC has broken down the All Conference Awards by first, second, and third place teams.  As you know, in previous years, 30+ players would be named All Conference, and another 15 or so would be named honorable mention.  It's called progress, not perfection.  ;D

However, it does seem a little unusual to "so" see 5 forwards and one post player named to the First team.  Although I like Carleton's Kent Hanson a lot, and think he'll be the go-guy next year, I don't think it would have been a terrible slight to have named him second team, and perhaps move SJU's David Stokman or Hamline's Zach Smith to the first team. But it's hard to discount third in the conference in scoring, and 5th in rebound average.

But, for the sake of argument, I would go with an All MIAC first team of the following:

Kevin Grow – Carleton, P
Collin Olmscheid – Augsburg, SF
Robert Tobroxen – St. Olaf, W
Zach Smith – Hamline, PG
David Stokman – St. Johns, 2G
Tyler Weiss - -  St. Johns, PF

Nice to see STO's Dominic Bledsoe recognized for his outstanding FY year, and to also be named to the All Defensive Team as a first year. I think the All Defense team is right on the money. If this was the NBA, STO's Robert Tobroxen would be the San Antonio Spurs' healthy Kawhi Leonard.  :)

Regarding Macalester. Mose, I think you and Greg are both right in terms of a general lack of institutional focus and commitment to athletics, along with a bad coaching fit. At the time, Eric Whittle looked like a great hire. BB1122 is also right about the quirky player losses he referenced.

Starting the Friday happy hour a bit early?

Go MIAC!

"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

Smitty Oom

St. Johns vs. Bethany Lutheran

Massey says 94% chance Johns wins and the score prediction is 89-71.

Smitty says that it will be a little lower scoring than that, and close through the first half, but Johns proves too much in the second half.

https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=298892&t0=St+John%27s+MN&h=1&s1=298892&t1=Bethany+Luth

Augsburg vs. Hope

Massey says Augsbrug has a 81% chance to win and the score prediction is 85-76.

Smitty says that Beckman will be relatively held in check by Sonie and Hope won't quite have an answer for Olmsheid, not many teams do.

https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=298892&t0=Augsburg&h=0&s1=298892&t1=Hope

St. Olaf vs. Sul Ross State

Massey says 58% chance the Oles will win, with the score prediction 69-66.

Smitty says the Oles will lose a close one.  :( Lobos are going into the tournament on a roll and Oles have lost 2 of their last 3. With that said I have watched 0 seconds of SRS hoops this year so this one is purely a guess from box score watching!

https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=298892&t0=st.+olaf&h=0&s1=298892&t1=Sul+Ross

Go MIAC, good luck to all the teams today. Can't wait for the SJU pod today, UWSP and NCC will be fun!

GoldandBlueBU

Go MIAC indeed!

Really hoping that SJU can regain their mid-season form and make a good run.

Pulling for the Auggies and Oles as well, though I'd be surprised if either is still alive after the weekend...particularly  Olaf.

The stupid big ten tournament being a week early is throwing me off...i've thought several times that this sunday is Selection Sunday, and that the tournament starts next week, only to be let down by having to wait another week.

SUMMIT!!!!!

nice write-up n the Augies in today's Strib:

http://www.startribune.com/augsburg-basketball-turns-the-switch/475615783/

Drake- the only difference in our comment (aside from your typo) is that i said five forwards and you said 5 forwards and that i further commented on the position-discrepancy on the second team. You being testy today?   :o ;D

Smitty- hopefully Massey is right as I'm planning to be in the St Cloud area Saturday and plan to slip incognito into Sexton for the USJ vs UWSP or NCC game for what I expect to be the Johnnie seniors last home game of their careers.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

SJUrube

Did I miss an injury to Alade at some point? Played only a few mins in the 1st half and the same here in the 2nd.

AO

Quote from: miacmaniac on March 02, 2018, 03:39:52 PM
Smitty- hopefully Massey is right as I'm planning to be in the St Cloud area Saturday and plan to slip incognito into Sexton for the USJ vs UWSP or NCC game for what I expect to be the Johnnie seniors last home game of their careers.
Massey would say "it was only 94%, not 100%" Hopefully Krueger can go tomorrow, couldn't tell what the injury was. 

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: AO on March 02, 2018, 10:35:57 PM
Quote from: miacmaniac on March 02, 2018, 03:39:52 PM
Massey would say "it was only 94%, not 100%" Hopefully Kreuger can go tomorrow, couldn't tell what the injury was.

Wow.....simply Wow. BLC is tough and talented and poised. I had a hunch USJ wasn't going to go very far in the NCAA, but  figured that was my purple tinted vision....SMH...even with the purple tint, I thought they'd at least win the first round
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

txg

Shades of Northwestern over UST.  Good for Bethany Lutheran.  They played great.

Tough loss for Augsburg.  I was watching the Ole game so didn't see any of it.  I perused the box score to see if Olmscheid had an off game.  He did not.  That guy is unbelievable.

Oles fight off Sul Ross by 13.  Survive and advance.

miacsuperfan

Speed kills!  SJU appeared leaden-footed in trying to keep up with Bethany.  It also didn't hurt that two Vikings  (Eichten and Krueger) appeared to be having career games.  Fun game to watch though.  Wow, VOJ was on the officials on NEARLY every call!  Mark, were they really that bad? ???  I like Bethany....they will be worth another watch tonight! 

OldAuggie

Congrats on a great season Augsburg! Tonight I will watch the MIAC Hockey Championship; Augsburg vs Gustavus.  Auggies have a lot to be thankful for this winter.
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 02, 2018, 02:07:55 PM
Smitty says that it will be a little lower scoring than that, and close through the first half, but Johns proves too much in the second half.

Smitty says that Beckman will be relatively held in check by Sonie and Hope won't quite have an answer for Olmsheid, not many teams do.

Smitty says the Oles will lose a close one.  :( Lobos are going into the tournament on a roll and Oles have lost 2 of their last 3. With that said I have watched 0 seconds of SRS hoops this year so this one is purely a guess from box score watching!

I went 0-3! What a night of games though!!

Quote from: SJUrube on March 02, 2018, 10:10:17 PM
Did I miss an injury to Alade at some point? Played only a few mins in the 1st half and the same here in the 2nd.

The guys I was sitting with at the game were wondering this as well, because he would have been a huge plus for the Johnnies. He was talking to the trainer at halftime getting stretched out, so it had to have been some sort of injury that held him back. It really affected the game, especially when you consider that Fy. Oakley Baker didn't have a great game in his extended minutes due to the injury.

Quote from: AO on March 02, 2018, 10:35:57 PM
Hopefully Krueger can go tomorrow, couldn't tell what the injury was. 

On the injury note, Krueger appeared to get hurt very bad at the end of the game, if he can't go it will be a tough one against UWSP today. He immediately grabbed his ankle area, and when they touched it or when he tried to stand it looked a lot worse than just an ankle sprain.... hopefully I am very wrong and he can suit up and help get the Vikings to the Sweet 16 today.

Now onto the game.... WOW!! What an amazingly fun game to take in as a neutral observer. My Cobbers played Behtany Lutheran this year in Mankato and Concordia was able to win, granted the Cobbs shot the lights out, but they looked like twice the last night, if not more. It started in warmups, when the Bethany Lutheran squad was throwing down some monstrous dunks in layup lines, 360s, windmills, tomahawks... definitely wasn't expecting to see that from the Vikings, and honestly was worth the price of admission right there. But alas, the three big dunkers were reserves and didn't play a minute in last nights game, but they did do a great job cheering.

The first 45 seconds of the game included a filthy Stokman 3, a David Stokman steal and pass ahead to Walford for a pretty nice dunk. 5-0 real quick, at this point I thought Bethany was not going to be able to stick around with SJU, wrong again! Only thing cooking for the Johnnies right away was Stokman, who had 12 of the first 14 points on 4 3s. Lutheran took the lead 19-18 with 13:30 in the first half and never relinquished it until about 10 minutes left in the second half when SJU tied it up at 71. I hadn't seen anything like that first half ever before, we had Freshman posts dancing on the block and making scoop shots over Weiss and Walford (Jake Dale in first half, 5-5 for 10 points), Sophomore Trent Krueger, who only hit 10 3s all year, went 4-5 from beyond the arc and poured in 23 points and 5 rebounds... in the first half!! There was 7 straight possessions that ended in a made 3 point shot, 7 straight! 1st half stats had Bethany shooting 71% from the field and 75% (9-12) from 3 and 7-8 from the line, as they were up 60-54. I thought no way Bethany can keep shooting this hot and fortunes will turn in the second half... Wrong again!

This is all you need to know about the second half last night. One of the first few possessions of the second half BL's Austin Bauer, an undersized guard, drove in on Walford, who was an All-Miac defender, and Walford pinned it on the glass, only to have the ball bounce off the rim and roll into the basket. Not much long after that Goetz got a steal at half court and passed it up to Stokman had a clear path to the hoop and missed an easy layup, no one around him. Missed FT and bunnies will haunt the Johnnies... but definitely credit to the Vikings as they shot it extremely well, moved well without the ball and found open cutters and made their FT down the stretch (23-27 total, Rose went 10-10 most of which when SJU was extending the game at the end). They also neutralized Weiss the whole game, he definitely appeared to be forcing things, too bad for a Senior who had such a great Johnnie career.

Bethany was the better team last night and really exceeded my expectations, glad I went to watch the game! Will be a much different game against UWSP today, as they buy-in on the defensive end and play some really fundamentally sound basketball. Pulling for the vikings to make it to the sweet 16 but don't see it happening  :(

Smitty Oom

Otherwhere in the Tourney, if Olaf is able to beat Platteville today, they have a good chance to host in my opinion. One of the remaining teams will be CMS (CA) or Whitman (WA), they will probably not host because all 3 teams would have to fly out there and there will be a bus option no matter who wins the other 3 games. In the UWSP vs. Bethany Lutheran game, both are within 500 miles of St. Olaf. In the Nebraska Wesleyan vs. Aurora game, if Aurora wins they really don't have a chance to host and are in the "busable" range. If NWU wins (more likely), it is only 400 miles away from St. Olaf, which means they could bus there. St. Olaf can host and have only one flight from the west coast to St. Olaf. I really hope that happens, I want more NCAA action after the games last night!

If you were not able to follow that, just know that if Olaf wins today, they have a very solid chance at hosting, no matter what happens in the other 3 games!

Go Oles  ;D :)

Drake Palmer

Tough luck St. Johns, but a great season. The Jays will have a solid nucleus to build around next year. 

From this outsider's perspective, Augsburg & St. Olaf certainly exceeded expectations, as both teams had terrific seasons.  While the cupboard won't be totally bare, it's going to be tough to replace Harry Sonie and probable All American, Colin Olmscheid next year.  The Oles will be very tough, and although they'll miss the senior leadership of Robert Tobroxen, they should be vying for one of the top spots in the MIAC next year.

"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

GoldandBlueBU

Indeed...tough year in the playoffs for the MIAC.

Johnnies still have Stokman, Walford, and Alade, so they'll have good experience to lean on.  Augsburg will likely see a pretty good dropoff with Olmscheid graduating, and Olaf returns good experience, but loses a cornerstone in Tobroxen.

Royals lose Tusler, but return Kingland, Jenson, and Magnusson, so I suspect they'll be a top 4 team...and I can't believe UST will be down for long.

Was hoping to have at least one MIAC squad to follow to the next round.

AO

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on March 05, 2018, 08:54:10 AM

Royals lose Tusler, but return Kingland, Jenson, and Magnusson, so I suspect they'll be a top 4 team...and I can't believe UST will be down for long.

Is Ambriz out of eligibility too?