MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: AO on March 05, 2018, 09:27:33 AM
Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on March 05, 2018, 08:54:10 AM

Royals lose Tusler, but return Kingland, Jenson, and Magnusson, so I suspect they'll be a top 4 team...and I can't believe UST will be down for long.

Is Ambriz out of eligibility too?

Sorry - you're right, he has a year left, that I assume he'll use?

Edit - Dearring is also done, but he never really had the impact that I would have expected from a D1 transfer.

Mike Rejniak

​Dear D3 Faithful ;D,
     I have read many of your posts throughout the years and even met some of you in person, but for those who I haven't met, let me introduce myself: my name is Michael Rejniak and I have spent over 14 years coaching Division 3 basketball and love what our division has done and continues to do for  the sport of basketball. One of the greatest things about Division 3 basketball is the brotherhood that we all have with one another (coaches and players alike). My wish is to showcase the talents of D3 on a national stage in The Basketball Tournament (TBT).  You may have heard me speak about this on the Hoopsville Marathon with Dave McHugh of D3hoops.com (at the 6:11 mark). The TBT is a national tournament that is televised in July/August on ESPN after the NBA season is over. My goal is to put forth an all-star D3 team (current players are ineligible) and have them compete in this tournament to take on Former D1 / semi-pro's to prove that D3 deserves the same respect as other NCAA divisions. The team is mostly complete with former student-athletes from all over the country competing. Once the roster is complete we will be sure to release it through d3hoops. Former Babson College National Champion Matthew Droney '17 will also be assisting me on this journey.

How YOU can help our former elite D3 basketball players

While the end prize of this tournament is a monetary prize, being a D3-lifer, the goal is not the money (we all know that's not why we get into coaching), the goal is to bring an end to the stigma of Division 3 basketball, an awareness of how talented our student-athletes are and that we can compete (and win) against the best. We do need to raise funds for an entry fee, travel, meal and housing expenses for the athletes. In order to do this, we are conducting a crowd-funding campaign through GoFundMe to help make this a reality. These athletes need your support! Just think -- if every Division 3 school donated just $10, we will have raised over $4,000!!!! The link to the GoFundMe Page is below and please SPREAD THE WORD and email me with any questions/concerns at WeAreD3TBT@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support and Dave and I look forward to this "D3 Dream Team" taking the court this summer.-Mike Rejniak

Support "We Are D3" In The TBT

Smitty Oom

NABC All District - WEST

First Team                                                                      

CD Douglas, Minnesota Morris

Ryan Garver, Nebraska Wesleyan

Collin Olmscheid, Augsburg

Kyle Roach, Whitworth*

Josh Ruggles, Loras

Michael Scarlett, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps

Second Team

Tim Howell, Whitman

Tyler Weiss, St. John's (MN)

Joey Hewitt, Whitman

Sam Amsbaugh, Simpson

Kevin Grow, Carleton

Coach of the Year: Eric Bridgeland, Whitman

Smitty Oom

D3 All-West region Teams:

http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-region/2017-18/west-men

Player of the Year: Collin Olmscheid, Augsburg

First team       
F    Kevin Grow    Carleton    Sr.    Circle Pines, Minn.
F    Collin Olmscheid    Augsburg    Sr.    Buffalo, Minn.

Third team        
F    Tyler Weiss    St. John's    Sr.    Shakopee, Minn.

Smitty Oom

Congrats to Colin, Kevin and Tyler on great seasons and careers in the MIAC. All three were very deserving of their All-West region honors! MIAC will be much different next year with these forwards all graduating.

Colin is the best pure scorer I have seen in my days following the MIAC. He is incredibly tough to guard, as it showed in his last 2 games... he went for 36 (15-19, 4-73PT, 2-3FT) in the MIAC championship and 39 (14-18, 3-43PT, 8-8FT) in the first round of the NCAA tourney. Those are some bonkers games, he is truly deserving of the player of the region award and the All-American award that is to come. I hope he represents the MIAC in the NABC All-Star game on Saturday before the championship game, which I am guessing he will be apart of if he is available. Auggies will surely miss him.

Smitty Oom

Sorry for all the consecutive posts... but our MIAC players have so many postseason awards!  ;D ;)

Both of these are classroom and off the court orientated, but both happen to be great basketball players as well.

David Stokman was selected to the All-Region Academic Co-SIDA team. He is sporting a 4.0 GPA while double majoring in Economics and Philosphy.. oh yeah not to mention putting up 30 points in the NCAA tourney game.
http://miacathletics.com/general/2017-18/releases/20180222sculzt

Kevin Grow was named as a Josten's Trophy finalist, one of 10 players in all of D3. These finalists are all very great people and students as well as basketball players, as there are 3 'criteria' in part of the voting. Hoops/Academics/Work in the community. A great honor for Kevin!
https://apps.carleton.edu/athletics/varsity_sports/mens_basketball/?story_id=1687132

SUMMIT!!!!!

I've heard a couple of interesting rumors about possible candidates for the Mac job. One in particular made my ears perk up-- a former MIAC player with deep local ties, who I remember as an energetic player (which may serve him well in recruiting) who is now a D-I assistant. He'd be a very good fit at Mac. As I hear it, Mac wants the position filled by mid April which leaves the new guy- whoever he may be- at a disadvantage in 2018 recruiting wars.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 13, 2018, 10:51:05 AM
Sorry for all the consecutive posts... but our MIAC players have so many postseason awards!  ;D ;)

Both of these are classroom and off the court orientated, but both happen to be great basketball players as well.

David Stokman was selected to the All-Region Academic Co-SIDA team. He is sporting a 4.0 GPA while double majoring in Economics and Philosphy.. oh yeah not to mention putting up 30 points in the NCAA tourney game.
http://miacathletics.com/general/2017-18/releases/20180222sculzt

Kevin Grow was named as a Josten's Trophy finalist, one of 10 players in all of D3. These finalists are all very great people and students as well as basketball players, as there are 3 'criteria' in part of the voting. Hoops/Academics/Work in the community. A great honor for Kevin!
https://apps.carleton.edu/athletics/varsity_sports/mens_basketball/?story_id=1687132

All your posts, Smitty, and nothing about the end of season awards that kept coming in for the MIAC?
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 21, 2018, 09:26:03 PM
All your posts, Smitty, and nothing about the end of season awards that kept coming in for the MIAC?

Ask and you shall receive!  :) ;D

Olmsheid (1st) and Grow (HM) were both named to the d3hoops.com All-America teams! From my measure, it is the first time the MIAC had 2 selections in the same year since 2013 when Taylor Hall (BU, 2nd) and Tommy Hannon (UST, HM) were honored for their great seasons

http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/2018

First team
G   Nate Axelrod   Ohio Wesleyan   Sr   Dublin, Ohio
G   Michael Scarlett   Claremont-Mudd-Scripps   Sr.   Irvine, Calif.
G   Kyle Roach   Whitworth   Jr.   Marinwood, Calif.
F   Andrew Sanders   Washington (Mo.)   Sr.   Tampa, Fla.
F   Collin Olmscheid   Augsburg   Sr.   Buffalo, Minn.

Honorable mention   
G   Tim Howell   Whitman   Sr.   Calabasas, Calif.
G   Brandon Federici   Franklin & Marshall   Sr.   Morganville, N.J.
F   Ryan Garver   Nebraska Wesleyan   Jr.   Lincoln, Neb.
F   Jonathan Patron   Plattsburgh State   Jr.   Huntington, N.Y.
F   Kevin Grow   Carleton   Sr.   Circle Pines, Minn.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 22, 2018, 09:43:16 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 21, 2018, 09:26:03 PM

Ask and you shall receive!  :) ;D

Olmsheid (1st) and Grow (HM) were both named to the d3hoops.com All-America teams! From my measure, it is the first time the MIAC had 2 selections in the same year since 2013 when Taylor Hall (BU, 2nd) and Tommy Hannon (UST, HM) were honored for their great seasons

http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/2018

First team
G   Nate Axelrod   Ohio Wesleyan   Sr   Dublin, Ohio
G   Michael Scarlett   Claremont-Mudd-Scripps   Sr.   Irvine, Calif.
G   Kyle Roach   Whitworth   Jr.   Marinwood, Calif.
F   Andrew Sanders   Washington (Mo.)   Sr.   Tampa, Fla.
F   Collin Olmscheid   Augsburg   Sr.   Buffalo, Minn.

Honorable mention   
G   Tim Howell   Whitman   Sr.   Calabasas, Calif.
G   Brandon Federici   Franklin & Marshall   Sr.   Morganville, N.J.
F   Ryan Garver   Nebraska Wesleyan   Jr.   Lincoln, Neb.
F   Jonathan Patron   Plattsburgh State   Jr.   Huntington, N.Y.
F   Kevin Grow   Carleton   Sr.   Circle Pines, Minn.

Colin Olmscheid has always reminded me a bit of Taylor Hall - though I'd say that Olmscheid is a little quicker, a little more athletic, and a slightly better shooter / scorer overall.

Both 6'7 / 6'8 guys that could post up, shoot the three, handle the ball...Hall was fun to watch, especially in his senior season.

tomt4525

6'5" Benilde St Margaret Forward, Joe Dunn, will continue his basketball career at St Thomas.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: tomt4525 on March 23, 2018, 11:00:36 PM
6'5" Benilde St Margaret Forward, Joe Dunn, will continue his basketball career at St Thomas.

I presume this is Will Dunn's brother, who played hoops at UST. Joe Dunn averaged 13.3 points this year for BSM.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 23, 2018, 11:28:09 PM
Quote from: tomt4525 on March 23, 2018, 11:00:36 PM

I presume this is Will Dunn's brother, who played hoops at UST. Joe Dunn averaged 13.3 points this year for BSM.

Your presumption is correct.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

tomt4525

2018 F Matt Barber (6-8) of Cedarburg (WI) has committed to University of St. Thomas.  Good get for the Tommies.

bball1122

Quote from: miacmaniac on March 21, 2018, 07:19:35 PM
I've heard a couple of interesting rumors about possible candidates for the Mac job. One in particular made my ears perk up-- a former MIAC player with deep local ties, who I remember as an energetic player (which may serve him well in recruiting) who is now a D-I assistant. He'd be a very good fit at Mac. As I hear it, Mac wants the position filled by mid April which leaves the new guy- whoever he may be- at a disadvantage in 2018 recruiting wars.

I've heard a name too - did the person you are referring to play at two different MIAC institutions, schools that have recently finished at very different ends of the standings?