New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiscanton

NEWMAC men's title game Babson at MIT has a start time of 3 PM Eastern tomorrow, as the NEWMAC women's title game between Springfield and MIT will go first at noon.

ECSUalum

Congratulations to the ECSU men's soccer team for their 2-1 upset win over WCSU.  Larson Richards PK in the 84th min propelled the Warriors to victory.  The Colonials again with numerous yellow cards threw the momentum over to Eastern and their large home crown at Thomas Nevers Field. Logan Brennan with initial goal for Eastern 1 min after Harrison Allers header in the 64th min.  ECSU awaits their NCAA tournament auto bid matchup.

OldNed

Quote from: ECSUalum on November 06, 2021, 03:26:54 PM
Congratulations to the ECSU men's soccer team for their 2-1 upset win over WCSU.  Larson Richards PK in the 84th min propelled the Warriors to victory.  The Colonials again with numerous yellow cards threw the momentum over to Eastern and their large home crown at Thomas Nevers Field. Logan Brennan with initial goal for Eastern 1 min after Harrison Allers header in the 64th min.  ECSU awaits their NCAA tournament auto bid matchup.

Happy for you, ECSUalum.  It's nice to see ECSU in the tournament this year.

ECSUalum

Quote from: OldNed on November 06, 2021, 03:32:17 PM

Thank You Sir, If they can get a couple of wins in the tournament I will be happy!!

OldNed

Quote from: ECSUalum on November 06, 2021, 03:38:59 PM

I'd like to see that, too.  My oldest son went to ECSU (didn't play soccer there), I'm 25 minutes from the campus, and one of the ECSU defenders is the brother of a good friend of another son of mine, so I'm definitely wishing them the best.

Thank You Sir, If they can get a couple of wins in the tournament I will be happy!!

ECSUalum

Quote from: OldNed on November 06, 2021, 03:44:09 PM
Quote from: ECSUalum on November 06, 2021, 03:38:59 PM

I'd like to see that, too.  My oldest son went to ECSU (didn't play soccer there), I'm 25 minutes from the campus, and one of the ECSU defenders is the brother of a good friend of another son of mine, so I'm definitely wishing them the best.

;D

blooter442

Kind of stunned to see that Babson beat MIT, 4-1, in the NEWMAC final on MIT's home field. The Engineers had beaten the Beavers 1-0 late in the regular season, but Babson struck first and then MIT seemed to capitulate — halftime was 1-0, but they were 4-0 down in the second before pulling a consolation back. Worth noting that in the last decade Babson has been much better on the road in the NEWMAC tournament than at home — they've hosted in 2012, 2016, and 2018 and lost each time, while winning on the road in 2014, 2015, 2019, and now 2021. Obviously anything can happen, and MIT did outshoot their opponents, but losing 4-1, I didn't expect that.

blooter442

Couple of other observations in NE. Gordon won the CCC 2-1 over Salve Regina with six seconds left in 2OT. Not quite as dramatic as the Babson bicycle kick with 3 seconds left in the 2019 NEWMAC final, but that is a hell of a way to finish a conference final.

St. Joseph's (ME) picks up its third GNAC title in 4 seasons with a 2OT win over Norwich. I saw a bit of the game online — hard luck on Norwich who dominated shots 24-7 and carried play for the vast majority of the time I saw. Anyway, the GWG was scored by Gus Ford, a product of the Falmouth (ME) program which has produced (among others) Roger Levesque, formerly of the Seattle Sounders. He was Maine's sole All-American and Gatorade Player of the Year — the Monks may have pulled off a coup in landing him.

Also worth noting: the SJC recap of the game was titled "Ford Fiesta." 😂

Ejay

Just watched that Gordon goal.  I don't think enough good things could be said about that perfectly weighted 35 yard pass that sent in their goal scorer. https://youtu.be/mM3xkSrQKN0?t=9239

College Soccer Observer

New England Soccer Journal D3 Best XI https://www.nesoccerjournal.com/best-xi-who-were-new-englands-top-d3-mens-players-in-2021/
GK--Ryan Grady, Middlebury
D--Ian Daly, Tufts
D--Emelson Barbosa, U-Mass Boston
D--Biagio Paoletta, Tufts
M--Calvin Aroh, Tufts
M--Augie Djerdjaj, Conn
M--Peter Novoa, MIT
M--Steve Yeonas, Conn
F--German Giammattei, Amherst
F--Nilton de Andrade, U-Mass Boston
F--Drake Byrd, Bowdoin

Also considered:
GK:  Liam Devanny, Wesleyan and Itai Rubin, Babson
D:  Liam Hanlon, Babson; Casey Kelly, Salve Regina; Bryce Johnson, Amherst; Michael McFarlane, Middlebury
M:  Travis Van Brewer, Tufts; William Toomey, Eastern Connecticut; Alex Shahmirzahdi, Amherst; Ignaccio Cubeddu, Amherst; Javier Beltran, Roger Williams
F:  Chase Gwynn, Gordon; Joey Songthysavong, Norwich; Jordan Saint-Louis, Middlebury

Christan Shirk

It's basically the USC Region I All-Region First Team with MIT's Peter Novoa swapped in for Van Brewer and Ryan Grady taken over Devanny at GK. 

It's funny to see Steve Yeonas listed as a midfielder on this team, as a defender on the USC All-Region team, and as a forward on the NESCAC All-Conference First Team.  Connecticut College's website still lists Yeonas as a defender on the roster page, but refers to him as a forward in their articles.  We have this headache at D3soccer.com each year trying to make sure players are placed in the most accurate category for consideration/balloting/voting/comparison/selection and there are always dozens of players who the team's roster, the team's news articles, the all-conference team, and the USC teams assign different positions.  Obviously the lines are blurred between midfielder and forward at times depending on formation, playing style. etc. (not to mention the great variances between types of midfielders and forwards--positionally, responsibility-wise, etc.).  Ideally, you don't get too hung up on positions.  Or . . . oppositely (and more complicatedly) you differentiate a lot more (defensive mid, holding mid, center mid, attacking mid, outside mid, etc...).  But it's a huge process that is hard to make efficient and straightforward without categorizing each field player simply as either forward, midfielder, or defender.
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

Ejay

One of my pet peeves is an all-whatever team that only uses CM's as their midfielders and/or CBs as their defenders.  The outside midfielder and outside backs are much different positions than their center brethren. Ideally I'd love to see the all-whatever team be 4-4-2 (2 CBs, 2 OBs, 1 CDM, 1 CAM, 1 LM, 1 RM, 2 FWs) and I don't even like playing a 4-4-2 diamond, but in my eyes it gives you a true Best XI.

SimpleCoach

Quote from: Ejay on December 21, 2021, 04:07:23 PM
One of my pet peeves is an all-whatever team that only uses CM's as their midfielders and/or CBs as their defenders.  The outside midfielder and outside backs are much different positions than their center brethren. Ideally I'd love to see the all-whatever team be 4-4-2 (2 CBs, 2 OBs, 1 CDM, 1 CAM, 1 LM, 1 RM, 2 FWs) and I don't even like playing a 4-4-2 diamond, but in my eyes it gives you a true Best XI.

Truth.

camosfan

Quote from: Ejay on December 21, 2021, 04:07:23 PM

I think it comes down to the talent you have and then the formation that best serves that talent pool.

College Soccer Observer

New England Soccer Journal All-Freshman Team

https://www.nesoccerjournal.com/d3-men-who-were-new-englands-top-freshmen-in-2021/

GK--Erik Lauta, Tufts
D--Ben Clark-Eden, Amherst
D--Andres Gonzalez, Brandeis
D--Jack Kelesoglu, Conn
D--Will O'Brien, Middlebury
D--Jude Sargent, Coast Guard
M--Shane Farrell, Middlebury
M--Mamadi Jiana, Norwich
M--Lucas Ruehlemann, Wesleyan
M--Laurens ten Cate, Amherst
F--Kendy Prince, Salem State

Also considered: