New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Brandeis lost Will DeNight, an All-UAA 1st Team selection as a FY, as a transfer to Columbia. Bummer for the Judges but can't fault him — he did look like a prodigious talent — but from what I heard he was barely even recruited out of high school. Combine that with a disjointed past year-and-a-half due to COVID and I could see him re-evaluating his options.

That said, I am encouraged that the Judges do seem to have gone for some more height, with almost half the team (14 players) 6' or taller (versus 9 in the 2018-19 season). I'm not suggesting a team full of trees guarantees winning, but they did seem to be a bit small and lacking in steel as a team after Ocel and co graduated in 2018, so it's good to see they're working to address that. I won't be able to watch live, but will be curious to see how they perform in tonight's season opener.

ECSUalum

Quote from: Mr.Right on August 21, 2021, 02:07:29 AM
Quote from: OldNed on January 08, 2021, 09:02:51 PM
Wow - it's been a while. I hope everyone is doing OK and I hope to see some D3 soccer before too long.  I no longer have a NE Soccer Journal subscription, but they just posted an article saying that Patrick Agyemang from Eastern Connecticut is transferring to Rhode Island.  Best of luck to him at Rhode Island and ECSU is definitely going to miss him.

I knew a D1 would poach the striker . That's another problem for another day but really too bad because he has a nose for the goal. His fitness now must get better as he would get tired and less active as the game got older but A10 is a weak soccer league so he should still put some in the back of the net.

Pat Agyemang leads URI in scoring.  They have beaten Uconn and CCSU while losing to Hofstra and tying Providence.  Pat has played most team min (355) YTD!
PA's Stat YTD:
# Player                   gp g a pts sh  sh%   sog sog%    gw     pk-att
27 Agyemang, Patrick 4 2 0  4  20  . 1       10 . 5          0      0 - 1

Goals were vs CCSU and Providence College
looks like he is fit!!

blooter442

Brandeis falls to 1-2-1 on the year with another 1-0 loss, this time in OT at WPI. With one goal scored in the entire season thus far, it's fair to say that the increased roster height hasn't paid immediate dividends, but the Judges appear very young, starting five freshmen against Keene State (and two sophomores, meaning seven of the starting XI had never played college soccer before this fall). This year might be a grind, but those kids will be better for it — reminds me of the two seasons the Judges had the fall before I arrived, when a number of freshmen were thrown into the fire and emerged as really solid players and leaders in their upperclassmen seasons.

No shame in losing to Hobart and WPI, two solid Northeast programs in their own rights, but NCAAs appear a stretch this year. The Babson game this weekend will be huge and is probably a good opportunity for the Beavers to win on the Brandeis turf for the first time, but both teams will be motivated. That said, I am excited to see how this team develops throughout the year.

It feels like a long time ago, but it's worth remembering that Margolis took Brandeis to the Final 4 as head coach less than four years ago and was the associate head coach during the NCAA stretch from 2012-17, and he's shown a knack of getting the best out of his players, so I still back him 100% to make them competitive, even if it takes a bit of time for them to gel.

deiscanton

Quote from: blooter442 on September 09, 2021, 10:15:48 AM
Brandeis falls to 1-2-1 on the year with another 1-0 loss, this time in OT at WPI. With one goal scored in the entire season thus far, it's fair to say that the increased roster height hasn't paid immediate dividends, but the Judges appear very young, starting five freshmen against Keene State (and two sophomores, meaning seven of the starting XI had never played college soccer before this fall). This year might be a grind, but those kids will be better for it — reminds me of the two seasons the Judges had the fall before I arrived, when a number of freshmen were thrown into the fire and emerged as really solid players and leaders in their upperclassmen seasons.

No shame in losing to Hobart and WPI, two solid Northeast programs in their own rights, but NCAAs appear a stretch this year. The Babson game this weekend will be huge and is probably a good opportunity for the Beavers to win on the Brandeis turf for the first time, but both teams will be motivated. That said, I am excited to see how this team develops throughout the year.

It feels like a long time ago, but it's worth remembering that Margolis took Brandeis to the Final 4 as head coach less than four years ago and was the associate head coach during the NCAA stretch from 2012-17, and he's shown a knack of getting the best out of his players, so I still back him 100% to make them competitive, even if it takes a bit of time for them to gel.

Blooter 442, both the Brandeis men's and women's soccer teams are playing away at Babson this season for those matches.  Babson men host Brandeis on Saturday, and the Babson women host Brandeis this upcoming Tuesday. 

blooter442

Quote from: deiscanton on September 09, 2021, 03:55:39 PM
Blooter 442, both the Brandeis men's and women's soccer teams are playing away at Babson this season for those matches.  Babson men host Brandeis on Saturday, and the Babson women host Brandeis this upcoming Tuesday.

Ah! It appears you're right...I think I didn't see the "at" in the schedule and assumed they were back on hosting in the odd years.

OldNed

St. Joseph's (ME) and WPI played to a 1-1 tie last night at WPI.  I watched the game off an on and I thought both teams played well.  Initially St. Joe's played a possession type game trying to work the ball out of the back patiently passing back and forth until they could break WPIs high press.  This was mostly successful in the first half and less successful in the 2nd half, particularly when WPI turned up the pressure towards the end of the 2nd half when they were still down 1-0.  WPI's pressure finally paid off in the 85th minute and they put a goal past St. Joe's and they continued to press their advantage in the final few minutes and into the 1st overtime period.  St. Joe's had the better of the 2nd overtime period, but neither team could find a winner.

This is a good result for St. Joe's as they started off a stretch of 4 tough games, with 3 remaining against Norwich, Colby, and Amherst.  Only the Colby game is a home game for St. Joes.  I'd like to see them win 2 of those 3 games, but that's going to be a challenge.  It's entirely possible they lose all 3, too.  I'm very pleased that St. Joe's has started scheduling more regional powers rather than the old schedules with most of the Maine-based schools like University of New England, Husson, Southern Maine, etc. 

NEFutbol90

ST. Joes Goal scored by Gus Ford a 2020 USC All American and Maine's Gatorade player of the year! An important class  for the monks to regain the top spot in the GNAC

ECSUalum

Quote from: ECSUalum on September 08, 2021, 08:25:21 PM
Wow - it's been a while. I hope everyone is doing OK and I hope to see some D3 soccer before too long.  I no longer have a NE Soccer Journal subscription, but they just posted an article saying that Patrick Agyemang from Eastern Connecticut is transferring to Rhode Island.  Best of luck to him at Rhode Island and ECSU is definitely going to miss him.

I knew a D1 would poach the striker . That's another problem for another day but really too bad because he has a nose for the goal. His fitness now must get better as he would get tired and less active as the game got older but A10 is a weak soccer league so he should still put some in the back of the net.

Pat Agyemang leads URI in scoring.  They have beaten Uconn and CCSU while losing to Hofstra and tying Providence.  Pat has played most team min (355) YTD!
PA's Stat YTD:

looks like he is fit!!
Pat had the hat trick for URI as they defeated Brown 3-1 last Wed.

Mr.Right

Quote from: OldNed on September 15, 2021, 03:52:21 PM
St. Joseph's (ME) and WPI played to a 1-1 tie last night at WPI.  I watched the game off an on and I thought both teams played well.  Initially St. Joe's played a possession type game trying to work the ball out of the back patiently passing back and forth until they could break WPIs high press.  This was mostly successful in the first half and less successful in the 2nd half, particularly when WPI turned up the pressure towards the end of the 2nd half when they were still down 1-0.  WPI's pressure finally paid off in the 85th minute and they put a goal past St. Joe's and they continued to press their advantage in the final few minutes and into the 1st overtime period.  St. Joe's had the better of the 2nd overtime period, but neither team could find a winner.

This is a good result for St. Joe's as they started off a stretch of 4 tough games, with 3 remaining against Norwich, Colby, and Amherst.  Only the Colby game is a home game for St. Joes.  I'd like to see them win 2 of those 3 games, but that's going to be a challenge.  It's entirely possible they lose all 3, too.  I'm very pleased that St. Joe's has started scheduling more regional powers rather than the old schedules with most of the Maine-based schools like University of New England, Husson, Southern Maine, etc.

OldNed I see UVM brought on former St.Joe's player Rory Twomey as he joins his former coach Adrian Dubois....good for him and almost did not recognize him with a shaved head...

Mr.Right

Quote from: ECSUalum on September 17, 2021, 03:00:49 PM
Quote from: ECSUalum on September 08, 2021, 08:25:21 PM

PA's Stat YTD:

looks like he is fit!!
Pat had the hat trick for URI as they defeated Brown 3-1 last Wed.

Jesus...the kid is ripping it apart and he missed a PK so should be 6 goals...URI is 4-1-1 with some dubious attendance stats but hey they have a great home field advantage as there is always a 15mph wind

https://gorhody.com/documents/2021/9/15/2021_rhody_msoc_combined.pdf

ECSUalum

Eastern Connecticut survives a last 20 min onslaught by UMass Boston to defeat the Beacons 1-0 on a 45 yard defenseman Larson Richards wondergoal.  Richards looks to have noticed Beacon keeper Devine out of position and delivered a bullseye strike from just over the midfield stripe. 
In addition to his goal Richards was a stone wall on defense breaking up numerous Beacon attempts at penetration at the Eastern end.

The referee today was terrible and was an obvious homey stopping the clock on every Warrior set piece and missing a ton of Beacon pulldowns on Eastern players.

At good broadcast by UMAss today with good play by play!

Ommadawn

I picked up a few fun facts while perusing the box scores tonight:

1.  Noted by Mr. Right for racking up 5 goals against Trinity, DeAnte Anderson of St. Joe's (CT) added 4 more goals today against Dean to bring his goal total to 11 on the season.  The opposition hasn't been the strongest, but still....

2.  With 3 D1 transfers (from Merrimack, I believe), Western New England is off to a solid 4-1-1 start and should be a contender for the CCC title.

3.  Fidel Castro is alive and well and playing in the midfield for Worcester State.

ECSUalum

When you can't keep possession, give up 16 corner kick and have a referee who is blind, you lose to RPI 1-0.  RPI score in the 80th minute off the 16th corner!!
Eastern plays on a grass field and need to at least practice on their turf field because their passing was terrible today!!!

Eastern seems to handle the MASCAC LEC teams OK but when it comes to top 20-30 teams they just cannot execute a goal!!  Loss of Pat Aygemang is looking huge this season  ???  Oh well one more so so season coming up ::)

OldNed

Quote from: ECSUalum on September 21, 2021, 05:29:48 PM
When you can't keep possession, give up 16 corner kick and have a referee who is blind, you lose to RPI 1-0.  RPI score in the 80th minute off the 16th corner!!
Eastern plays on a grass field and need to at least practice on their turf field because their passing was terrible today!!!

Eastern seems to handle the MASCAC LEC teams OK but when it comes to top 20-30 teams they just cannot execute a goal!!  Loss of Pat Aygemang is looking huge this season  ???  Oh well one more so so season coming up ::)

ECSU,
I watched some of the game and I thought your guys were just about on par with RPI, but I have to agree with you about the ref. And yes, I'm from CT and I'm likely biased, but when the hometown announcers for RPI note that the ref isn't calling anything, that tells you something.  That being said, it wasn't the refs that lost the game for Eastern - they couldn't do much of anything once they got the ball past the center line.  If they can develop a goal scorer in the next 5-6 games, they might be able to compete with the top 50 teams.

ECSUalum

Quote from: OldNed on September 21, 2021, 06:52:22 PM
Quote from: ECSUalum on September 21, 2021, 05:29:48 PM

ECSU,
I watched some of the game and I thought your guys were just about on par with RPI, but I have to agree with you about the ref. And yes, I'm from CT and I'm likely biased, but when the hometown announcers for RPI note that the ref isn't calling anything, that tells you something.  That being said, it wasn't the refs that lost the game for Eastern - they couldn't do much of anything once they got the ball past the center line.  If they can develop a goal scorer in the next 5-6 games, they might be able to compete with the top 50 teams.
Well stated Old Ned +1