WBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Andrew Wagner, July 27, 2005, 03:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Champ

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on January 18, 2007, 10:29:43 AM
WARHAWKS improve to 12-5 overall and 5-3 to maintain their spot in the four team log jam that is second place in the WIAC.

Who's in first... ;)

UWPSUPERFAN77

Stout, Stout, Stout! At least this will divert some attention from the FB situation. I notice that my beloved Pioneers play you guys twice on Saturday! I wish I could come up but I have to work on Friday and Saturday. A old SF still needs some sleep! I should stay off the UWWBWCR site talking Football. They must have given me negative Karma. For you women posters this means University Of Wisconsin Whitewater Band Wagon Chat Room, AKA the WIAC Football site. God Bles! PS I could use some poitive Karma to get me under - 20!

bulk19

PSuperfan -

Yes, I alluded to being a big guy, perhaps an offensive lineman, in a post earlier, but bulk19 is suitable, not bulk91, because I'm actually the size of, oh, say, maybe a kicker or punter. Ha... ;)

Who's on first? I don't know... No wait, he's on second...

Two of three teams can pull ahead in the logjam with wins on Saturday - if Point wins vs. River Falls, and the winner of the UWEC-UWL game. Warhawks will stay at 5-3, with a bye, if I've read the schedule correctly... Of course, that means all kinds of upsets and everything is going to go wacky on Saturday, and my best laid plans of mice and men will go astray, goofing up my nice little summary of things from Saturday.  :)

Point has a great winning streak at home - in the 20s now for consecutive wins. Still have River Falls, Stout and Whitewater left this season...

Blugolds will be looking to pay UWL back on Saturday for an earlier loss in LaX. Good crowds here still, but I hope some of the students are around to put their fannies in the seats, since classes start Monday...

The Champ

Quote from: bulk19 on January 18, 2007, 10:19:39 PM
Good crowds here still, but I hope some of the students are around to put their fannies in the seats, since classes start Monday...

Getting the fans in the stands is important.  It let's the teams know that they have support!!!  Nothing worse than playing in a (virtually) empty fieldhouse.

WIAC ATTENDANCE - Season to date (listed alphabetically):

Home attendance for UWEC has averaged (per WIAC statistics) 634 per game.  The high game was 1163 vs. Stout.

Home attendance for UWL has averaged 288 per game.  The high game was 490 vs LaCrosse's Viterbo college.

Home attendance for UWO has averaged  428 per game.  The high game was 942 vs. UWEC.

Home attendance for UWP has averaged  346 per game.  The high game was 480 vs. Stout.

Home attendance for UWRF has averaged  175 per game.  The high game was 233 vs. Superior.

Home attendance for UWSP has averaged  379 per game.  The high game was 577 vs. UWO.

Home attendance for Stout has averaged  1133 per game.  The high game was 1531 vs. UWSP.

Home attendance for Superior has averaged  215 per game.  The high game was 334 vs. Finlandia.

Home attendance for UWW has averaged  233 per game.  The high game was 808 vs. Stout.

It'll be interesting to see how the numbers look at the end of the regular season!!!

foul_language

How does a perennial losing team (Superior) manage to average bigger attendance than another team (River Falls)? Does RF only seat 200? Standing room only when Superior was there?

Note: highest attendance at RF coincided with a big effort. Until the fiasco at EC Wednesday, that was the worst drubbing of the season--also the first drubbing of the season. Yes, yes, I understand the RF loss was actually worse in terms of points, but the loss at EC was awful in terms of dashing hopeful expectations.

BTW, there were many in the stands at the last Superior men's game; all the hawkey--men and women, I believe--turned out. They were unusually subdued. The last time I sat in front of the hawkey men, they were pretty raucous. Must be saving their energy for the weekend.

Mr. Downtown

For Oshkosh and Superior fans

Believe it or not, 90.3 WRST-FM will be making the trip to Superior to broadcast both Men's and Women's basketball games.

I'll have the call for the women's game, TitansRus will have the call for the men's.

you can listen to the stream by visiting this link: www.uwosh.edu/wrst

Superior peeps,

Is there anything to do in Superior? Any good places to eat? Or should we just keep on hiking up north to Duluth 

UWPSUPERFAN77

Positive karma for the attendence comparrison! I love our women in the WIAC. However, women will not have equality in Sports until all the fans care by showing up. Only Stout and EC have had great attendence at BB games in the womens Division. I was hoping that the Doubleheaders would increase attendence. When the women play at UWP, after the men, half or more of the crowd goes home! This is especially the case with the older fans in the padded seats,many of them in the mens Booster Club!I am 52 myself, so I am old too! I just wish they would give the women a chance! God Bless!

foul_language

Re: eating in Superior
If you're looking for fine dining: the Boathouse
Down and dirty big burgers and beer: the Anchor (DO NOT ask for a drink with an umbrella or a wine spritzer)
Pizza: VIP on Tower;  or Thirsty Pagan, where you can wash the pizza down with a microbrew
Decent food at Barkers Island; organic-type at Braunvieh (I may have made that name up, but the place is on Tower, next to the library); Hammond Steak House; the Shack at the far end of Belknap. Used to have a good Cajun place, but it mysteriously shut down one night.

We have food. More variety in Duluth, but it's bigger. The Anchor really provides the most local color; the atmosphere is a little intimidating, but the food is memorable.

Anything to do?!!!! If you're spending the night, the big hawkey game of the season will be happening when St Norberts comes to play UWS.  I understand St Scholastica beat St N tonight across the bridge (must have been a hell of a battle...), so the Norbies should be plenty irate tomorrow.

There's also the accordian museum...

BDB

Quote from: UWPSUPERFAN77 on January 19, 2007, 09:49:11 PMI am 52 myself, so I am old too!God Bless!

Super, you know I like you, and I keep your karma down to, well, -20. But I am 51 please do not refer to us as old. Peace.  :)

bulk19

Re attendance:
Here's to put things in perspective regarding the terrific attendance at UWEC (634 per game) and Stout games (1,133 per game) this season -

Although the NCAA site doesn't have teams ranked on attendance this year, here are the top teams nationally in attendance for the past seven seasons listed on the site:

2005-2006
1) Hope 1,329
2) Stout 1,172
7) UWEC 838

2004-2005
1) Bowdoin 1,192
2) Stout 1,134
5) UWEC 881

2003-2004
1) UWEC 1,105
3) Stout 901

2002-2003
1) UWEC 1,294
4) Stout 881

2001-2002
1) Stout and Hardin-Simmons tied at 816
4) UWEC 658

2000-2001
1) UWEC 847
No other WIAC team in top 10

1999-2000
1) UWEC 1,196
No other WIAC team in top 10

These are national rankings! Here's hoping the 'Golds can boost those numbers up even more in their last three regular season home games...

Believe me, Coach Englund does a great job in asking for fan support and in encouraging the fans to come out for the games. She also makes it a point to recognize the great crowds at Zorn, and does a terrific job of thanking the fans for their support. The players do not take this lightly, and realize how special they have it in EC. They don't take it for granted...

UWPSUPERFAN77

In EC womens BB is #1, becauseof the legacy of Lisa Stone, followed by the present coach. Also, you have a large percentage of womens students. A winning combination. blessings!

buf

EC women average 634 for home attendance
EC men average 424

foul_language

Hope you Oshkosh guys got some good food in Souptown, because the game sukked. Sometimes I wasn't sure whose side Superior was on. I suspect our players had more assists on UWO points than UWO had on their own. Aaaarrrggghh.

UWPSUPERFAN77

Typical UWStout victory in Johnson. Announcers said that UWP coach said it was a rebuilding year. i do not know, I think our first 6 can play with anyone. i feel we are underachieving. hail to the lady Devils. god Bless!. Close game for about 27 minutes. They wore the Pioneers down with their depth and defense. Liz Tesch played well against the bLUEDEVILS, AS SHE ALWAYS DOES! Lisa Grantman good all around game. Gurnsey Freshman point guard with 11 points , her first double digit of the year.

UWPSUPERFAN77

Sorry about the poor editing, my Goodbye ended up on top when i edited. This is why i had a seretary type my reports when i was a Social Worker. you guys are stuck with my typing !Blessings!