The Big Dance

Started by Falconer, November 06, 2017, 02:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEsoccerfan

Quote from: blooter442 on December 01, 2017, 07:37:14 PM
Quote from: NEsoccerfan on December 01, 2017, 07:27:15 PM
I'm not sure I would call that a great goal. Woodhouse was WAY out of position. That ball had no pace on it and was right in the center of the goal. Woodhouse let Brandeis down today in a major way. 2 goals because of bad positioning/decision making on his part.

Kudos to Messiah on the gritty win. It's not easy to go down twice in a national semifinal and comeback to win.

It can be a great goal even if he could have done better. Just look at Rooney's goal against West Ham this week. Disagree that he was WAY out of position, though -- I actually think he wasn't that far off his line -- it was just that well struck.

Quote from: 1970s NESCAC Player on December 01, 2017, 07:31:59 PM
A nice shot, but not a great goal.  Woodhouse too far off his line, and D just backing up too much for the last half hour of the game.  Contrary to announcers' calls, not one of Woodhouse's better games.

I feel like Brandeis D after Vinson and Hennesey just wasn't quite good enough, unless the midfield packed it in and stayed compact to help them.  To Deis' credit, they were going for it, but couldn't afford to get stretched like they did.

Agree with most of what you said, except, again, I disagree that he was that far off his line. First goal, absolutely could have done better. That said, the second goal killed them. Vinson and Hennessy were very good, but not the best games from Handler and Walter.

Rooney's goal last week in NO WAY compares to the game winner today. It was not a great goal. It was a weak shot without pace in the center of the goal.

If he wasn't that far off his line, how was he essentially chipped? The ball was dipping down when it crossed the goal line. Check the replay. I'm probably the biggest Brandeis homer on this thread - i played for them in the last 10 years and watch every single game that there is video for. I love the squad and I love woodhouse. But I can also call a spade a spade. He was in a BAD position and off his line and if he had positioned himself better Messiah would not have scored. Period.

Mr.Right

Will Chicago use the 2nd string GK again?

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

mr_b

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 01, 2017, 10:52:28 PM
YES!
Congratulations to the Vikings! 
They showed a lot of heart and grit.  Best of luck in tomorrow's championship game.  And congratulations to the Maroons on a very hard-fought game.

Ryan Harmanis

Bummer for Chicago and Brandeis. Congrats to NPU and Messiah. Hate to see referees miss a game-deciding call. Also hate penalties. I like the idea of pulling off one player every five minutes until someone scores.

NPU will have to be better tomorrow. Can't let two great teams pepper you for 180 220 minutes and not concede...unless you were  Middlebury in 2007 (I think).

blooter442

Quote from: NEsoccerfan on December 01, 2017, 10:35:35 PM
Rooney's goal last week in NO WAY compares to the game winner today. It was not a great goal. It was a weak shot without pace in the center of the goal.

If he wasn't that far off his line, how was he essentially chipped? The ball was dipping down when it crossed the goal line. Check the replay. I'm probably the biggest Brandeis homer on this thread - i played for them in the last 10 years and watch every single game that there is video for. I love the squad and I love woodhouse. But I can also call a spade a spade. He was in a BAD position and off his line and if he had positioned himself better Messiah would not have scored. Period.

Calm down, Spicey. I did watch the replay. He was about 3 yards off the goal line. That is not "that far." He was essentially chipped because he wasn't perfectly positioned and it snuck right under the bar. Look at what PaulNewman said -- if the kid put it anywhere else, he saves it. And to infer I'm not able to call a spade a spade is ludicrous, given that I'm the one often pointing out the Judges' shortcomings. You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. Period.

4samuy

Congrats to North Park!   Honestly, that offside call was not a good call.  But that is soccer.

blooter442

If you don't put your chances away when you are on top, you can have no complaints when the result goes against you. Tough ending for Chicago, but congrats to the Vikings.

Mr.Right

Could be a repeat of 2012 NCAA FINAL when Messiah ripped apart Ohio Northern 5-1....They might blow North Park off the field tomorrow unless North Park GK performs a miracle tomorrow...He might need to make 20 Saves tomorrow.

blue_jays

Chicago proved to be the superior side all night. Rough way to end it, but an outstanding year for the Maroons regardless. They have much to be proud of.

firstplaceloser

yeah i'm worries for North Park. they did not impress me like the first 2 weekends. but still they did what they needed to win.

this is also the reason I do not agree with the back to back games. two overtime games, kids are absolutely exhausted but hey guess what you get to wake up tomorrow and do it all over again!! they better pray they have a few extra CCs of adrenaline tomorrow

tjcummingsfan

Quote from: 4samuy on December 01, 2017, 10:57:23 PM
Congrats to North Park!   Honestly, that offside call was not a good call.  But that is soccer.

You won't get any argument from this NP fan.  That was a bad call, but you're right, that's sports...

Stulen was incredible, and North Park looked like they finally got things going in overtime.  I think tomorrow will be a great game. 

PaulNewman

I just can't watch sports any more.  Didn't even care that much but both teams I was rooting for lost.  And Chicago never should have lost that game (not advanced).  Sports are so devastating.  I suspect Mr. Right is right.  Messiah is home free.

Medicated Pete

Quote from: Mr.Right on December 01, 2017, 10:58:09 PM
Could be a repeat of 2012 NCAA FINAL when Messiah ripped apart Ohio Northern 5-1....They might blow North Park off the field tomorrow unless North Park GK performs a miracle tomorrow...He might need to make 20 Saves tomorrow.
Yep that Loras match was the Final.
Polar Bears had nothing that day..

Congrats to NP, bringing more recondition to the program!

blue_jays

NPU was a shadow of the confident, athletic team they were when they faced the Maroons in October. Part of it was due to fact Adeosun played this game after sitting out the October matchup, and you saw the impact he had on the second go-round.
The Vikings have to find their mojo or Messiah will basically do the same thing the Maroons did tonight, but with more goals.