2021 Game Notes

Started by SimpleCoach, September 03, 2021, 06:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimpleCoach

Connecticut v Wesleyan
Wesleyan
Bias? –   None.  Multiple times with each.
Link – Opposite Ends of the Alphabet

   Statistically and subjectively, Connecticut owns the ball.
   It hasn't been the best of games, and actually spent five minutes contemplating whether it would be more fun if I just popped some popcorn.
   Settled in with Connecticut just controlling the flow of the game with Wesleyan trying to figure out how to get forward.  Probably will surprise Conn on a counter or some such, but not expecting it.
   Connecticut keeps trying to go over the top on the left, but it's not working.  Not sure if it is the weather or if its windy but the ball just sails.  Would like to see them build an attack, not sure I have seen that from them.
   Wesleyan is growing into the game a little and is getting around Conn's goal, but nothing really dangerous ... yet. 
   I could see a stumble by Conn today simply because of the big emotional game they had on Saturday.
   Conn is just not connecting, nor do they seem as tight defensively.
   Wesleyan should avoid going down the right wing, Conn#24 is just a fantastic defender.  Never loses a challenge.
   Conn Keeper looks a little shaky coming off his line.  Again, could be the weather.  Just seems unsure of actually getting the ball, and if he does, he bobbles it.  And he is not very proficient with his feet.
   And like that Conn gets a goal.  Ball drilled across from the right wing and the Wesleyan Keeper dives to save the catch the ball but bobbles it.  It bounces up and Conn#17 heads the ball into the back of the net.  Connecticut 1, Wesleyan 0.  Play came from the right ...
   Keeper really erred on that one.  He either had to secure the ball or punch it away, he made the worst possible play on it.
   3 minutes left in the half.
   Halftime.  Connecticut 1, Wesleyan 0  Connecticut is the better team, even though there were stretches where I thought they weren't as sharp.  If Wesleyan got to half tied at 0, I would think there is a greater likely hood that they could get a result.  But letting in the goal 3 minutes to half, hurts.

SimpleCoach

Widener v Eastern
Eastern
Bias? – None.
Link – Eagles v Pride

   Choppy first ten minutes or so.
   Widener moving the ball better than Eastern that seems hell bent on sending the ball long every time.
   Widener with some play around the box.  Shot comes off the defenders hand and a PK is called against Eastern.  Widner#10 steps up to the ball, and it's saved by the Eastern Keeper.  Save made to the his right.
   Don't know why but the announcer says neither team can afford not to win.  Assume for conference?
   Lots of fouls, lots of calls, not much flow to the game.
   Kudos to the announcer.  Watched a number of games, enjoy his commentary and the fact that he is doing like 16 things for the game to go smoothly.
   Eastern seems to be invigorated but the PK stop and have really started coming into their own.
   Difficult to see the Widner #s, but they have a couple of talented players.
   Widener Keeper jut made a solid save on a long-range shot.  And then makes a desperate save on the line from a header.  Impressed with him.
   Since the PK, Eastern has been the more dangerous team.  Widener has been trying to get control of the ball.  They do like playing it down the left side, trying to spring the winger behind the Eastern Defender.
   Not sure this referee is competent.
   Eastern defends well and not giving Widner the time to do anything with their attacks.
   17 minutes left in half.
   Wow. What a nice goal by Eastern.  Eastern#20 receives the ball with his back to the goal about 25 yards out.  Turns.  Closed down by two defenders, he boxes the ball between the two and drills a shot from about 23 out.  Upper corner to the Widener Keepers right.  Widener 0, Eastern 1
   That missed PK by Widener is looming large.
   Widener trying to get something together, but not really convincing on attack.
   Still a bit of a chippy game, with both teams mixing it up.  Lots of cheap fouls. 
   7 minutes left.  Have a game to go to so will end it here.

Hopkins92

Just tooling around on Eastern's site... The goalie with the PK stop is the same FR goalie we raved about a bit after the Messiah near upset. That game earned him MAC Commonwealth defensive player of the week.

Definitely a player to keep an eye on.

2-0 Eastern at the half.

Oh, and yes, this is a must-win for both teams as they are both tied with York on 6 points, probably needing full 6 points in this game and on Saturday to finish top 5 and make the conf tournament.

Hopkins92

Watching back through the highlights, 1st Widener goal was on the short side, which I'm just always going to chalk up to goalie error, to some extent. Second goal was a garbage goal (in the best of ways) off of a cornerkick scrum in the mixer.

Eastern's third goal is off a free-kick and is worth going back and checking out. I don't care what level, that's an absolutely beautiful goal.

Game ended 3-2.

SimpleCoach

Catholic v Gettysburg
The Battlefield
Bias? – I think Edwin Coddington's account is the single best book on the battle. 
Link – The Irish Brigade at Gettysburg

   Catholic have more of the possession and run of play than Gettysburg.
   Catholic has had a couple of opportunities, including a one on one where Catholic#27 just missed the ball, and another where the Gettysburg Keeper came up with a big solid save.
   And as is typical of Catholic's desire to create chaos up top and end up with a lucky bounce, Catholic just scored.  Gettyburg#13 and Catholic#16 chasing a ball into the box.  Gettysburg Keeper comes out to get the ball and in going to collect the ball, mishandles it and trips up his defender, literally leaving the ball at the feet of Catholic#16, who casually passes it into the back of the net.  Catholic 1, Gettysburg 0.  It was so perfect it must have been a designed play by the Catholic coaching staff.
   29 minutes left in the
   Gettysburg seems a bit off tonight from other games I have watched.
   And like that, Gettysburg levels.  Handball out wide about 18 from the line.  Catholic defends like a corner, everyone inside or on the six, not marking.  Gettysburg has its 5 players in the box, and one on the 18.  Ball sent in near post and Gettysburg#13 gets up and heads the ball far post.  Untouched.  Headed the ball between 3 Catholic players, Catholic#18, Catholic#16, and Catholic#27.  Catholic 1, Gettysburg 1.
   Seems like Catholic must have learned their lesson because on the next corner, they went man to man.
   Catholic has Gettysburg sitting deep by moving the ball, but largely inconsequential in the final third.
   Gettysburg tends to be a bit more methodical on the attack.  Not kicking and hoping for something.  That makes it a bit more difficult against a stout Catholic defense.
   Gettysburg#29 is ginormous.  And he has some skill although the ball is a bit sticky to his feet.
   Gettysburg is much more aware or where they are on the field and keeps a pretty good shape regardless of which side of the ball they are on.
   Halftime.  Pretty even match up.  Gettysburg seems not as crisp to me maybe even a bit bland.  Catholic continues to perfect chaos ball in the attacking third with aspirations to be a better Franklin & Marshall.

SimpleCoach

Ohio Northern v Otterbein
Otterbein
Bias? – Multiple times watching each.
Link – Cardinals v Polar Bears, Oh My.

   This game was from last night, October 27th.
   Really choppy play to start. 
   ONU looking to control the ball, while Otterbein tries to get it up top to Otterbien#7 as quickly as possible.  Making it for a not such a fun game to watch.
   You can tell is lot on the line for these two.  Otterbein's national and OAC title aspirations and ONU's desire for a higher seeding for the OAC Tournament.
   Both teams having looks at goal.  Otterbein#7 missed a one time ball just wide from about 6 yards out. 
   Otterbin#7 again on the end of a corner that just went wide.  Stepped in front of the Ohio Northern Keeper before he could get to it.  Seems Ohio Northern is a bit loose defensively, letting the play stay in front of them, but doing a poor job on picking up Otterbein attackers as they run through.
   ONU gets the first one.  Ball is sent out wide where it driven across the box by ONU#10.  ONU#17 between 2 Otterbein defenders taps the ball in from 3 yards out.  Not the best marking.  Ohio Northern 1, Otterbein 0
   18 left in the half.
   Otterbein does do well when they win possession in the final third.  Looking to get the ball through and knocking it around.  ONU is just defending real tight, but I can see a breakthrough goal coming.
   Ohio Northern#10 is a solid outside winger.  Really making it tough on the outside back.  Also seems to have the liberty to go where he wants since he has been on both sides of the field.  The goal he created cam from the Keeper's left, but he has been on the right for some stretches of the game and having success going one on one.
   Otterbein just doesn't seem comfortable connecting the ball.  Ohio Northern is much more active in moving to the ball defensively then Otterbein.
   Halftime.  Ohio Northern 1, Otterbein 0.  Both teams are playing, thought ONU was a bit better and was justly rewarded by the goal.

SimpleCoach

Rutgers-Newark v Montclair
Montclair
Bias? – I know a player on one and played with the coach on the other.
Link – Rumble of North Jersey

   RU-N has come to play.  Not sure Montclair was ready for them.  Have had control of the ball for the start, and Montclair can't seem to get a hold of the rock.
   High tempo game, and both sides are keeping pace.
   Lot of pushy grabby going on.
   Montclair has had a couple of opportunities on goal.  They get forward so quick.
   RU-N is wasteful with the ball.  Get Montclair chasing then turns the ball over with an ill advised pass, or too many touches.
   RU-N tries to get the ball up to RU-N#10 so he can hold up the ball and let the play develop.  Montclair for it's part, is defending him tight.
   Montclair center backs and the CDM sitting in front of them, are one of the more solid center three I have seen.
   I can see why they want to get the ball to RU-N#10.  He is a talented player who is very good with the ball.
   RU-N are a talented team and really try to connect in the final third with multiple dynamic runs.
   Montclair#10 is one of the best midfielder in the country.  There, I said it.
   RU-N had two opportunities that were almost goals.  They move the ball so well and quickly on the attack.
   Montclair is holding it's shape, but RU-N does well moving into the space.
   Montclair seems a bit more individualistic in attack.  Guys take more touches, looking to be guys.  RU-N really does look to make the ball move and get a lot of players involved.
   Halftime.  Think RU-N had the better of the play, but Montclair is just a pass away.  Montclair seems a bit off because RU-N is playing very well.

Ejay

Fast Forward to the 2OT winner for RUN.  Great strike from a freshman who scored 2 on the night.

SimpleCoach

Quote from: Ejay on October 28, 2021, 04:05:35 PM
Fast Forward to the 2OT winner for RUN.  Great strike from a freshman who scored 2 on the night.

Heck of a goal.

Mr.Right

great updates SimpleCoach....NJAC always have matches like that where teams decide to show up and others not prepared. In the old days some teams would field a crazy good team midweek and then on Saturday be depleted

Centennial1

Quote from: Mr.Right on October 29, 2021, 08:31:28 AM
great updates SimpleCoach....NJAC always have matches like that where teams decide to show up and others not prepared. In the old days some teams would field a crazy good team midweek and then on Saturday be depleted

...and this year, MSU has baffled with some outstanding performances and some quite lackluster ones. They, along with Chicago, baffle me. Are they final four teams or do they crash out of the tournament first round? Is it coaching? Lack of lifestyle discipline in the team (read: partying)? Academic pressure?

SimpleCoach

Rochester v NYU
NYU – Gaelic Field
Bias? – Multiple times each team.
Link – Rhinos v Cosmos?

   Bit of a popcorn games to start.  Little control.  Little passing.  Ball going every which way.
   Both teams had a couple looks on goal that the respective Keepers did well on.
   And NYU#26 scores on header to the far post.  Ball sent from NYU#39 from the left side of the goal over a defender that was a couple of yards in front of his man.  Rochester 0, NYU 1.
   29 minutes left.
   Can't say it was a build up.  Ball cleared to NYU#39 who does a great job of bringing the ball under control with his chest, turns and faces his man then hits a short floated ball into the middle of the goal where NYU#26 heads it in.
   So many errant passes from 5 yards away.  Poor first touches abound.  Kind of real ugly.
   Think NYU is feeling it a bit now that they have a goal.
   Not sure if the play is sloppy, but neither team looks good to me.  NYU seems to foul on every contested play, and Rochester gives the ball away too much.
   Yeah.  Feel like I wasted by time on this one.  Sorry for the blah review.  Maybe it's the grey weather?

SimpleCoach

Here is what I have on tap for today.  Only really interested in the Messiah and Wilmington games.  For the Johns Hopkins game, I am interested in seeing if they can keep control when they are caught in a Neanderthal ball game.  Figured I would follow the Landmark games to the end, where I could.  Muhlenberg has kind of imploded,  so really not sure why I chose that one.  Happy to add or remove from the list if there are better games.

• Wilmington v John Carroll – 7:30 PM
  • Gettysburg v Muhlenberg – 7 PM
  • Scranton v Elizabethtown – 4 PM
  • Catholic v Juniata  - 4 PM
  • WPI v MIT  - 4 PM
  • Johns Hopkins v Franklin & Marshall – 3 PM
  • Messiah v Penn State-Harrisburg – 12 Noon

Have a great day and hope your team carries you to victory.

SimpleCoach

Messiah v Penn State-Harrisburg
Middletown, PA.
Bias? – Loved playing on rainy fall days.
Link – Interesting match up in Harrisburg

   As to be expected, messiah owns the ball. 
   Most of the first 15 minutes of play, has been PSU-H's half.  They haven't been able to  even get the ball to their midfield.
   Messiah Keeper the Mullet has not touched the ball.
   If I am watching this right, it seems that PSU-H is sitting back trying to take advantage of a lost ball and
   PSU-H Keeper came up with two consecutive very big saves.  It's tied at zeros at this point thanks to him.  Seem's solid from what I can see thus far.
   26 minutes left in the half.
   PSU-H had some bit of the play and was able to get some balls into the box, but not really threatening.
   PSU-H#33 is a pretty solid CDM.  And he has a long throw.
   Little choppy game.  Messiah has not been as sharp on the possession, been a bit wasteful, or just late making runs into space to look for the ball. 
   Messiah has to be careful because PSU-H is able to get into the box, pretty quickly.  Had a cross that they got on the end of but Messiah Keeper the Mullet made an easy save.  But it got to the forward who snuck between the two center backs.
   Messiah's possession is starting to get PSU-H to drop back deeper and deeper.  Makes PSU-H counter just a little more difficult.
   And like that as they press higher, PSU-H gets a goal.  PSU-H managed to push Messiah back in their end and step up.  Ball get's wide right to PSU-H#9 who is between the defender and outside mid who had stepped forward.  He  turns takes a touch and floats a ball between the center back and outside back.  PSU-H#6 gets up and masterfully heads the ball to the left side of Messiah Keeper the Mullet, who dove, but no chance to make a save.  Messiah 0, Penn State – Harrisburg 1.
   Maybe the goal will shake Messiah up.
   9 minutes left in the half.
   PSU-H is feeling it after the goal, and Messiah is a bit discombobulated.  They are trying to get it going but lose the ball in touch spots.  PSU-H doing a good job of pressing from behind and not letting the receiver of the ball to turn.
   And Halftime.  .  Messiah 0, Penn State – Harrisburg 1.  It's a good game, but don't think Messiah has been playing its best.  PSU-H has definitely come to play.

SimpleCoach

Johns Hopkins v Franklin & Marshall
The Cave at F&M
Bias? – Where do I start?
Link – Why do I do this to myself?

   Am thinking that St. Peter should look kindly on me when its my time at the pearly gates, after watching any more Neanderthal Ball games.
   Press, press, press, run, kick ... build from the front.
   JHU Keeper has come up big in the first five minutes. 
   JHU needs to get a hold of the ball, get wide and make F&M do what it wants, which is to run around like lunatics.
   Think that's JHU's game plan when they get the ball.  Spread the field wide.
   JHU tries to play.  F&M successfully destroys.
   Problem for JHU is that they seem too programed to play balls to certain places and don't have the imagination to work around the field to figure out ways to get forward.  If the one pass they are supposed to make isn't on, they go back despite there being three other options.
   Ok. This is from an email my son received from F&M.  I challenge anyone to watch am F&M and to find what is described ... double dog dare ya.

• False 9's and attacking mids are players that we want to find ways to play between lines. Since most teams defend zonally, there are natural pockets of space that exist between defenders. We want these players to "ask questions" of the defenders and have to make them make a decision on who is going to step to defend them. Often times this allows our attacking players to be unmarked for a brief time as the defending team sorts it out. It's in these moments when we want to get a ball to their feet and penetrate the defense.
   This is a game where I am not convinced about Johns Hopkins being good enough.  They look dominant with the ball against lesser opponents, but against equal competition not so much.  They are not as patient with the ball as they have you think.  Problem is that they don't move well enough up top to make space to exploit.  I don't know... am being hyper critical.
   JHU just hit the post on a dead ball from the 18.  They can get to goal when they play the way they can.
   Ok.  F&M Keeper yelling at his defenders.  Thanks Jordan Pickford.
   Guess that was halftime.  Clock still showing 10 minutes in the half.  That's ok cause it was feeling like a dreadfully long half.  Johns Hopkins 0, Franklin & Marshall 0.