FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterJedi

Quote from: BigRedScots on November 21, 2021, 09:02:54 AM
Quote from: Stagg Again!! on November 21, 2021, 08:43:03 AM
I was just taking a look at the schedule for next weekend.  When was the last time we had at least six marquee matchups on Week 2 of the playoffs?  I really want to watch SJU v. Linfield, Central v. Wheaton, NCC v. UWL, Cortland v. RPI, Mount v. JHU, and Del Valley v. Muhlenberg.  The other two games don't pique my interest only because UWW should be able to easily handle DePauw and MHB should take care of BSU (though I am not so sure about even that after watching the Trinity game yesterday).  Hats off to the selection committee.  This has the potential to be the best and most balanced tournament bracket in recent memory.

Agreed.

However, I don't understand how DePauw got to host RH in round 1. Without looking it up, it always feels like Mount goes East and always gets an easier draw then the Midwest teams.

Look what the top seed on the left side (SJU) of the bracket has to potentially go through....

Undefeated Lake Forest
Undefeated Linfield
Undefeated UMHB
WW/Wheaton/Central

I get what you're doing but Lake Forest was not a cupcake game. The rest, yes.

Stagg Again!!

I was just taking a look at the schedule for next weekend.  When was the last time we had at least six marquee matchups on Week 2 of the playoffs?  I really want to watch SJU v. Linfield, Central v. Wheaton, NCC v. UWL, Cortland v. RPI, Mount v. JHU, and Del Valley v. Muhlenberg.  The other two games don't pique my interest only because UWW should be able to easily handle DePauw and MHB should take care of BSU (though I am not so sure about even that after watching the Trinity game yesterday).  Hats off to the selection committee.  This has the potential to be the best and most balanced tournament bracket in recent memory.

Agreed.

However, I don't understand how DePauw got to host RH in round 1. Without looking it up, it always feels like Mount goes East and always gets an easier draw then the Midwest teams.

Look what the top seed on the left side (SJU) of the bracket has to potentially go through....

Undefeated Lake Forest
Undefeated Linfield
Undefeated UMHB
WW/Wheaton/Central

Agreed, thought DePauw would travel in Week #1 also thought that the bottom half of the SJU quad was filled with land mines.  That all said,  if you look forward, there will be lots of fun games, a degree of parity (as it goes), and potential upsets.  In the end, only one team will win their last game, so let's all enjoy the ride that we didn't get to take last year.

Next Man Up

DePauw was ranked #3 in Region 4. Rose-Hulman was #7.
As was said above, it seems chances are high that the DePauw season will end next Sat in Whitewater.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

Next Man Up

Quote from: MasterJedi on November 21, 2021, 11:32:08 AM

Agreed.

Undefeated Lake Forest
Undefeated Linfield
Undefeated UMHB
WW/Wheaton/Central

I get what you're doing but Lake Forest was not a cupcake game. The rest, yes.

Use another term if you choose, but Lake Forest did lose by 27 points. I think most expected an even larger deficit. Accordingly, it seems the Foresters may have actually exceeded expectations so perhaps we can call the game a brownie rather than a cupcake.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

USee

Quote from: Schipper Strong on November 21, 2021, 01:25:29 AM
Quote from: hazzben on November 20, 2021, 09:45:42 PM
Quote from: Schipper Strong on November 20, 2021, 09:33:22 PM
Quote from: hazzben on November 20, 2021, 03:17:47 PM
Bethel is on the ropes v. Central. Unfortunately for Wheaton, their announcers are pretty sure the same result will occur next week. Dutch color guy at least is confident you are not the a top 3 team in D3. Use that motivation as you will.  :)
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Nope, just quoting what we heard during the game.
;D ;D ;D Running on to the next opponent's board to tell them the radio announcers from their current opponent that is beating you has faith in their team? Thinking a team like the Thunder needs a radio announcer's belief in their team as motivation? Seriously a sore loser move. I am sure Wheaton will be plenty motivated by a second round game and their desire to win a national championship. If they need motivation from a radio announcer they would be pretty desperate.

I can tell you Hazzbeen is anything but a sore loser. He has been around the block on here and I am pretty sure he is reporting what he heard and implicit in his perception is some hubris from the homer Central crew. And why not? They are undefeated and have a video game offense that hasn't been challenged all year.

The Thunder are playing for cause, not glory. They have been doubted plenty including many who thought they shouldn't even be in the playoffs. Any comments by a local radio crew or posters are just more fuel for the fire that already burns as this team knows what they need to do and are built to go deep. Central has been itching to play the Thunder again and now have their chance.

SpartanHouse

Wheaton's TE Spencer Peterson is a dude. 6'6 240 and a great athlete.

I'm shocked I can't find anything online about him and draft prospects.

I think he is special and has a great chance to play on Sundays.

Next Man Up

Quote from: USee on November 21, 2021, 02:05:53 PM
Quote from: Schipper Strong on November 21, 2021, 01:25:29 AM
Quote from: hazzben on November 20, 2021, 09:45:42 PM
Quote from: Schipper Strong on November 20, 2021, 09:33:22 PM
Quote from: hazzben on November 20, 2021, 03:17:47 PM
Bethel is on the ropes v. Central. Unfortunately for Wheaton, their announcers are pretty sure the same result will occur next week. Dutch color guy at least is confident you are not the a top 3 team in D3. Use that motivation as you will.  :)
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Nope, just quoting what we heard during the game.
;D ;D ;D Running on to the next opponent's board to tell them the radio announcers from their current opponent that is beating you has faith in their team? Thinking a team like the Thunder needs a radio announcer's belief in their team as motivation? Seriously a sore loser move. I am sure Wheaton will be plenty motivated by a second round game and their desire to win a national championship. If they need motivation from a radio announcer they would be pretty desperate.

I can tell you Hazzbeen is anything but a sore loser. He has been around the block on here and I am pretty sure he is reporting what he heard and implicit in his perception is some hubris from the homer Central crew. And why not? They are undefeated and have a video game offense that hasn't been challenged all year.

The Thunder are playing for cause, not glory. They have been doubted plenty including many who thought they shouldn't even be in the playoffs. Any comments by a local radio crew or posters are just more fuel for the fire that already burns as this team knows what they need to do and are built to go deep. Central has been itching to play the Thunder again and now have their chance.

There would be something wrong with the Central announcing crew if they were not homers to a certain degree. Especially in light of their team's lofty accomplishments so far this season. However, to suggest the officials missed penalty calls on the opposing team on an inordinate number of plays, and to question the next opponent's credentials is pure folly.
I certainly can't be classified as a Wheaton fan. However, there is absolutely no doubt that the Thunder is one of the nation's strongest teams. They have one loss this season—To the nation's #1 team in a game that wasn't decided until late in the contest. Conference opponents know the Wheaties best. And, although it pains us to direct so much applause in their direction, if you know football and are honest , you will not have any problem saying they are indeed entirely worthy of their high D3 ranking and accompanying status.

Thunderdome21

Quote from: BigRedScots on November 21, 2021, 02:12:05 PM
Wheaton's TE Spencer Peterson is a dude. 6'6 240 and a great athlete.

I'm shocked I can't find anything online about him and draft prospects.

I think he is special and has a great chance to play on Sundays.
This is Spencer's first year playing TE. He was a QB for Wheaton in his first 3 years from 2016-2018. In 2019, he played a little bit of everything: Backup QB, Wildcat QB, WR, etc... until he tore his ACL in the North Central game in 2019.  That is why there is nothing about hm as a draft prospect. Even though he's still learning all the nuances of the TE position, Spencer is beginning to have All-American type numbers for a TE (13 receiving TDs, 15.52 yds per reception, 31 receptions) so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets some attention from NFL scouts in the near future.

Spencer comes from NorthPointe Christian High School in Grand Rapids, the same school that produced Minnesota Viking 2nd year DE, Kenny Willekes.  If I remember right, Spencer garnered interest from Michigan St as a preferred walk-on, but I think MSU wanted him to become a DE and at the time, Spencer wanted to stay as a QB.  But Spencer was a really dominant DE in high school. One O-line high school coach friend of mine told me that Spencer was the best DE that his high school team ever faced in the past decade. That would include several players that ended up as D-1 and D-2 Lineman including one OL/DL standout who is playing in the NFL as an Offensive Lineman. I agree that Spencer has freak athletic ability that has the talent to play at the next level.

Next Man Up

Did Spencer turn down possible higher division possibilities because he was set on going to Wheaton?
It's ironic that he started out as a QB as was his original desire, but is now a TE who is probably playing TE at a higher level than he did QB.

SpartanHouse

He is an physically gifted as a D3 athlete as I can remember.

WUPHF

Quote from: WUPHF on November 20, 2021, 05:21:23 PM
I thought I read that the CCIW needed Wheaton to play in the bowl thing to have a chance.

I spoke too soon, apparently.  My hat is off to River Falls on becoming the first to win the first ever bowl game hosted in Wisconsin.

Thunderdome21

Quote from: Next Man Up on November 21, 2021, 06:02:31 PM
Did Spencer turn down possible higher division possibilities because he was set on going to Wheaton?
It's ironic that he started out as a QB as was his original desire, but is now a TE who is probably playing TE at a higher level than he did QB.

No. Wheaton gave him full opportunity to pursue the QB position. But there are strong family ties to Wheaton. His Dad played for Coach Swider in the 1980's. There's several second generation players on Wheaton whose fathers played for Coach Swider in the 80s or 90's. His brother Jesse played for Wheaton from 2009-2012, starting off as a 6-4 219 lb TE and by the end of his time at Wheaton, was a 6-5 305 lb RT that was signed as a undrafted free agent for the Carolina Panthers. Jesse also had stints with the Arena Football League and the Canadian Football League. 

SpartanHouse

I left that game wondering what Peterson could have done if he walked on to a D1 as a TE.

His career as a TE is just beginning. Huge upside

D3FLETCH

His career as a TE will be ending in 1-2 weeks. Awesome D3 TE. Lets not forget that D1 rosters will have 3-5 TEs with his body type.

Thunderdome21

Quote from: D3FLETCH on November 23, 2021, 09:32:42 AM
His career as a TE will be ending in 1-2 weeks. Awesome D3 TE. Lets not forget that D1 rosters will have 3-5 TEs with his body type.

It depends on his speed. There are many 6-6 240-250 lb TEs in Div. 1, but its those with his body type that are fast who make it to the next level. For instance, he needs to running at least in the lower 4.8s with a laser-timed 40 to be considered a possible NFL prospect.