MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

Quote from: SpringSt7 on November 18, 2021, 10:48:33 PM
Insanely small sample size, I know, but Tufts in their first half with Rogers did not look great either, down 50-39 to an admittedly good UMass Dartmouth team that was playing their 5th game. Maybe Rogers is dealing with a nagging thing that he aggravated and wasn't 100% to begin with but I don't know how much better they would be with him. Defense is not his strong suit and they look porous at all 5 positions on that end of the floor.

Yes, Luke Rodgers played the 1st half and started the 2nd.  When he checked out for good with 18:17 to play, Tufts was down 58-42.

Tufts lost the game with Rodgers on the floor, basically.  It'd be misleading to suggest they lost because he played limited minutes. 

https://www.littleeast.tv/umassd/?B=319034

WUPHF

I do think Webster could work their way out of the weak team category this season.  Especially after the non-conference schedule they have ahead.

It is hard to say as they are 1-1 against non-scholarship, Division III teams, but they have a few freshmen and sophomores (including one that missed the first game, but featured heavily in the game on Tuesday) that look very good.  I have only watched a few SLIAC games so far, but Webster played the best game I have seen.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Titan Q on November 19, 2021, 08:18:30 AM
Quote from: SpringSt7 on November 18, 2021, 10:48:33 PM
Insanely small sample size, I know, but Tufts in their first half with Rogers did not look great either, down 50-39 to an admittedly good UMass Dartmouth team that was playing their 5th game. Maybe Rogers is dealing with a nagging thing that he aggravated and wasn't 100% to begin with but I don't know how much better they would be with him. Defense is not his strong suit and they look porous at all 5 positions on that end of the floor.

Yes, Luke Rodgers played the 1st half and started the 2nd.  When he checked out for good with 18:17 to play, Tufts was down 58-42.

Tufts lost the game with Rodgers on the floor, basically.  It'd be misleading to suggest they lost because he played limited minutes. 

https://www.littleeast.tv/umassd/?B=319034

He didn't look like himself at all, though.  I suspect he came into the season less than 100%.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

deiscanton

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on November 18, 2021, 10:40:14 PM

Tufts is missing an All American, not sure about Brandeis.  Neither Suffolk nor Emerson are weak teams, but these are both pretty surprising losses.

Brandeis is healthy.  You can't blame the Brandeis loss vs Emerson last night on missing a key player.  Emerson really played very well last night, and Brandeis did not play well enough on the defensive end.  Allowing an opposing team to shoot 50% from the field is not going to win you many ball games.

To be fair, if you took a look at the past 2 Brandeis v Emerson games (2018-19 and 2019-2020 seasons) before the one that was played this week, each game was very close with Brandeis winning by 3 (75-72 at Emerson) and 2 point (76-74 at Brandeis) margins respectively.  I did not watch last night's game live on the Emerson Channel Sports Youtube channel, but I just finished watching an on-demand replay of the game.  Emerson has one of the better productions of a DIII broadcast--  if anything, Emerson has at least 5 camera angles of the court that allow close-ups of the players as well as replay capability.  It is very similar to an ESPN+ production if students were running the equipment rather than older professional sportscasters.  I do not find this surprising, as Emerson is a top school to go to if people want to learn sports broadcasting.

I found it somewhat surprising that Emerson was able to pull away in the second quarter to take a 19 point lead going into the locker room at halftime, but not too shocked at the fact that an Emerson team with 4 seniors who played in the NCAA DIII tournament as first year players (Emerson won the NEWMAC AQ in the 2018-19 season) would be capable of beating Brandeis this week, especially given how the last 2 meetings played out.  Emerson tends to match up well with Brandeis and has an excellent coach in Bill Curley.  Back in my Brandeis student days, I went to Conte Forum a few times to watch Curley play at Boston College in a few Big East conference games. 

As far as Suffolk goes, Jeff Juron has already shown that he can beat a Jean Bain coached Brandeis team in the past.  Tufts is just the next step, IMO.

Emerson is definitely going to be in the race this season for the NEWMAC AQ.  Suffolk may be in the hunt for the CCC AQ as well.

deiscanton

Brandeis bounced back from the tough loss last week at Emerson with a quality win over previously undefeated UMass-Dartmouth this evening.  Judges won, 76-68.

Big news this evening is that Collin Sawyer became the 34th men's basketball player to join the Brandeis 1,000 point club today with a made 3 pointer with 4:43 left to go in the game.  He led all Brandeis scorers with 24 points for the game, and currently stands at 1,004 career points. 

Nolan Hagerty had a double-double with 18 points and 13 rebounds.

Dylan Lien got his first start of the season in place of Tommy Eastman.  Lien had 13 points and 3 assists.  Eastman came off the bench with 12 points, 8 rebounds, and 4 assists.

I could not watch the game live as my synagogue had a congregation business meeting this evening, but I did watch the second half on replay (The Brandeis/UMass-Dartmouth game replay is probably only up on Boxcast for this evening only-- Brandeis does not store their basketball games on on-demand replay for very long.)

I am very glad to have Jonah White back calling the Brandeis men's basketball action after listening to him call the NCAA DIII Women's Soccer Tournament from MIT for 2 straight weekends-- with the addition of the NEWMAC Women's Soccer Tournament, Jonah White has been calling the entire MIT Women's Soccer playoff run in addition to calling both Wesleyan women's soccer games at MIT over the past weekend. 

According to the post-game interview with Coach Jean Bain this evening (or at least, how I interpreted his comments), Brandeis did not play with enough toughness and grit at Emerson last week.  The Judges got tough and played gritty this evening vs the Corsairs, and that made the difference today.

WUPHF

6-1 Case Western Reserve is leading John Carroll, 70-53 with over 15 minutes left in the game.  The Spartans are 14-20 from three point range and 29-45 overall.  John Carroll is 5-19 from the perimeter.

WUPHF

Case Western Reserve, 111
John Carroll, 82

Live the three, die by the three...
Spartans shoot 17-29
Blue Streaks shoot 8-31

WUPHF

The UAA went 11-0 this weekend after accumulating 12 losses in previous weeks.

It seems more clear as the season progresses that teams who did not play in the Spring 2021 needed time to get back to regular season form.  They are mostly doing just that.

Just looking at the Massey Ratings...

In 2018-2019, there were only four UAA teams in the Top 100 and three in the Top 50 at the end of the season.  There were five in the Top 100 in 2019-2020 and two in the Top 50 at the end of the season.  There are currently seven UAA teams in the Top 100 with NYU at 122 and four in the Top 50.

Hard to know what the conference will look like in March, but the league may be more competitive than it has been in a long time.

deiscanton

Some of you may have seen the most recent edition of Hoopsville where Dave McHugh interviewed UMass-Boston men's head basketball coach Jason Harris about the inaugural Black Coaches Classic, which was played at UMass-Boston last Saturday and had Brandeis as one of the 4 teams in the Classic.  The tournament had 4 of the 7 Massachusetts DIII men's basketball teams currently with a black head coach. (Tufts, Lesley, Brandeis, and UMass-Boston participated on Saturday-- while MIT, Amherst, and Framingham State did not participate this year.)

Link to the Hoopsville broadcast here where UMass-Boston head coach Jason Harris spoke about the need for such a tournament:

team1sports.com/hoopsville/?B=329275

Link to the nightcap game of the Black Coaches Classic between Brandeis and UMass-Boston here:

http://www.littleeast.tv/?B=316743

I enjoyed some of the greeting messages from coaches such as Tommy Amaker of Harvard and former men's basketball head coach Mike Jarvis (who coached at Cambridge Rindge and Latin HS as well as Boston University before going on to George Washington Univ and St. John's), but I would have liked to have had a videotaped message in the webcast from MIT's Larry Anderson as well as former head coaches Ken Still, who coached Brandeis for 10 years, as well as former Curry men's basketball head coach Malcolm Wynn to also speak about the current need for such a tournament.  I also hope that this concept will expand to include women's basketball teams as well. (Brandeis would not be able to participate in a women's version currently, but Emory could.)

deiscanton

Just started tuning in to tonight's Brandeis game vs WPI on Boxcast--

Brandeis men's basketball PBP man Jonah White has just announced on the live feed that Tommy Eastman will not be playing tonight vs WPI-- Specific reason undisclosed. 

How will this affect the outcome of tonight's match, and is this absence going to be a lengthy one? 

8:31 PM Eastern update--  WPI blowing out Brandeis tonight-- WPI hitting lights out from 3 point range.   I do not know who is going to win the New England Big 4 Challenge this weekend.   I would have been really favorable on Brandeis winning the tournament this weekend with Eastman in the lineup.  Without him, I don't know.  WPI won by 19 tonight.  No excuses.  Props to WPI's John Lowther for a season high 27 points tonight.

Long term, if Eastman is out for a while, Brandeis cannot win the UAA AQ.  Maybe a winning season and a top 4 finish in the UAA possible.

TitanQ-- I saw on Twitter that you expressed an interest in watching this one tonight.  I hope that you appreciated Jonah White's PBP  call today.  I have not heard back from Jesse Lieberman on the situation with Tommy Eastman.  I did have the Brandeis game on my Roku TV, but also tuned in to some of Wesleyan's men's basketball game vs Worcester State for the second half when it became obvious that WPI was in control of the game.  (No other UAA men's basketball teams were in action tonight.)

WUPHF

Off the radar fantasy league candidates or potentially off the radar from the UAA

Bobby Hawkinson, NYU, 18 points per game, 12 rebounds per game.

RJ Holmes, Carnegie Mellon, 19 points per game, 8 rebounds per game, early sophomore of the year front runner (assuming they have one).

Cale Martens, Emory, 12 points per game, 6 rebounds per game, early freshman of the year front runner.

deiscanton

Quote from: WUPHF on December 01, 2021, 09:35:38 AM
Off the radar fantasy league candidates or potentially off the radar from the UAA

Bobby Hawkinson, NYU, 18 points per game, 12 rebounds per game.

RJ Holmes, Carnegie Mellon, 19 points per game, 8 rebounds per game, early sophomore of the year front runner (assuming they have one).

Cale Martens, Emory, 12 points per game, 6 rebounds per game, early freshman of the year front runner.

The UAA already did a sophomore rookie of the year for both men's and women's soccer this season due to the pandemic-- I think that they will do both a freshman (first year) and sophomore rookie of the year for this basketball season as well (in addition to all other sports.)

WUPHF

The soccer awards were my inspiration for naming a sophomore front runner.  I think it is a great idea.  I have not seen any all-Association teams for other sports this Fall, so I was not ready to give out that award without the disclaimer.

Carnegie Mellon did get in an abbreviated Spring season but obviously no awards were given.  There is a lot of talent among the UAA underclassman, but RJ Holmes is killing it.

WUPHF

Just looking at the results from the Chicago game in Bloomington.

Chicago shot 5-30 from three point range and 22-64 and attempted just three free-throws.  The Maroons had scored 15 at the half and had just one player in double figures.

I am giving them more time to come together just like every other team in the UAA, and I'll cut them slack when playing one of the best teams in the country.  But I do not see them finishing higher than 7th this season.

I mostly mention Chicago though because I was looking at the bio of Elliot Paschal.  As part of his bio, he proudly lists that he won a best mullet award.  Respect!

https://athletics.uchicago.edu/sports/mbkb/2021-22/bios/paschal_elliot_9km9

blue_jays

Quote from: WUPHF on December 02, 2021, 09:51:35 AM

I mostly mention Chicago though because I was looking at the bio of Elliot Paschal.  As part of his bio, he proudly lists that he won a best mullet award.  Respect!

https://athletics.uchicago.edu/sports/mbkb/2021-22/bios/paschal_elliot_9km9

Seeing it in person is quite something. He shaved the sides of his head recently to accentuate the mullet even further.