MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reserved Seat

My starting line-up has 2 seniors, a junior, a sophomore and a freshman.

D.B. Cooper

RS who is the freshman that cracks the starting 5?

Reserved Seat

GoDiplomats

Quote from: Gabriel on October 19, 2017, 10:34:52 AM
Reserved, 

Thanks for the update.  I would guess the one sophomore is Slyka who along with Tate, Osley, Federici and Owona should give them an experienced and formidable nucleus.  Ursinus brings in four freshman to go with 12 returnees for 16 as well.  But injuries are inevitable so that number probably gets whittled down as the season progresses.

As much as I'd love to see Osley touch the floor this year, I don't foresee that being the case. His role this year will be similar to that of Lior Levy last year, a more talented offensive player lesser skilled defender, serving as good senior leadership and mentoring for the young fellas brought in this year. GRob only seems to throw him in games when they are up by an incredible amount of points or when the team is struggling and needs a defensive stopper. I'd love to see him get to run this year but it's highly unlikely. Also, Mike Rice, who I don't think is much of a player, is the only other Sophmore on the team. With the recent additions and upgrades at the G spot, I could see him falling back on the depth chart unless the system proves too much for the younger guys to pick up.

GoDiplomats

Quote from: Reserved Seat on October 22, 2017, 03:04:01 PM
From what I see, Groll.

Totally agree with you on this RS. I've seen Groll recently he'll be a stud in the frontcourt with McGrath. Having concerns about bench depth for the frontcourt with Owana and Ben, if he as raw as you say he is. Owana hasn't been able to find the basket consistently for the past three years and if Hines is anything like his brother I don't foresee him producing much. While Hines seemed like a great teammate his production and light frame on the court often caused him to be bullied on the court by bigger stronger players. The tape on Ravitz seems to be decent at best. Guards are going to have to step up BIG this year, especially Fed this on both ends of the court. I liked the defensive mentality he had last years if he can sustain that this year he's an easy CC MVP for me.   

Hank Mardukas

I have not made a post in a while but this is something serious:

Pop culture is killing America, and by this I mean our morals and values are completely and utterly WRONG (Thanks Hollywood). When the Atheltic Director of Alcorn State was asked if he would make his players stand for national anthem he stated, "my players will be respectfully standing to honor all the sacrifices that were made for this great country." A week later he was dismissed from his job and I believe this was the reason. People like to make the argument that he did not have the right to force his players to stand. I understand there may be more to this story and I attempted to find out the whole story with my reporting/detective skills. The only other complaint I heard about the AD is that he scheduled a volleyball and basketball tournament on the same day and the volleyball and basketball team use the same court. Yes, he did commit this act multiple times and lost the school a sufficient amount of money, but this is not a fireable act. I believe he was fired for making his athletes stand, which he has the right to do. Marc Zuckerberg doesn't allow apple watches in Facebook's offices because of his fear of Artificial Intelligence, which is a very reasonable fear. The AD is just like a CEO, he was the right to make final decisions and if people don't agree they can transfer! Please sign my petition to Sensor Censorship.
And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

Swat Fan #1

I respectfully disagree with that 100%! This is a free country and people have died so we can have that freedom. Kneeling during the National Anthem to protest a wrong is not only Constitutionally allowed, it is morally allowed. And, they are not HIS players, they play for the college. Why do you feel the AD has the right to make players stand? What gives him the authority to do that? Hey, if he doesn't like it, he can go to another college. Please don't compare a kid playing a college sport with working for a huge corporation. They don't compare. Leave the kids alone.

Gabriel

Let me suggest a wonderful book to add to your reading list.  Title "The AMERICAN SPIRIT Who we are and what we stand for" by David McCullough.  I bought copies for each of my grandchildren for their libraries.  It is a book of speeches  Mr. McCullough has given over the past 25 years---mainly at college and university commencements including some DIII schools such as Dickinson.  Per Mr McCullough "Our history, our American story, is our definition as a people and as a nation".  In my opinion, this book should be on every American's reading list and we probably would not be having this kneel/stand debate.  Leave it alone and it too will pass.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I love stuff done by David McCullough. I am also a huge fan of his voice over work (as one who does/hopes to do voice over work as well).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Red Onwuatuegwu

Swat fan I see your point but also completely disagree with you. Hank wasn't necessarily arguing whether the players should kneel or stand for the anthem even though you felt the need to turn it into a debate on that matter. I for one actually agree with Hank here as he brings up some very intriguing arguments. The AD hired the coach to do what he believes is in the best interest for the student-athletes and to win games. The coach has the right to make players stand for whatever his reasons are because he was put in that control but if the players can't respect that and want to kneel they can go somewhere else that will gladly take them... and if the AD doesn't agree with the coach's decision he can find a new coach who supports those freedom's and doesn't necessarily care about the unwritten rule of standing for the national anthem to honor the countless number of men and women who have lost their lives to protect the freedoms that we have today.

HopkinsNest7

I'm big on sticking to sports so I would like to veer off of this political conversation and dive into some talk of the hardwood. I don't see any centennial player kneeling because the notably bias centennial coverage would likely not show their protest on film in an attempt to manipulate the outsiders view of cent basketball. That being said, as you all know it took me a little bit to accept that there would be some turnaround in the Mule Barn but I am finally ready to embrace Kevin "Whats Hoppin" Hopkins as the leader in house. Word has stream lined out of Pennsylvanias third largest city that Hopkins has adapted a new approach of analytics. He will try to emulate Mike D'Antonis system and duke it out with opponents in a battle of nuclear offensive power. Now, I know everyone is thiking "D'Antoni could never beat Popovich so how could Hopkins beat Robinson". And to that I answer, Hopkins has an unparalleled winning pedigree that will inevitably lead to a Mules championship within the decade. Look for the Mules to instill the "Mid Range jumper is lava" theory and assault their opponents with a barrage of 3s from the back court and a copious amount of rim rattling slam dunks by the Big German Werheim. I'm smiling just thinkin about it. Mules for the 5 seed. Guarantee it, this will be my only pre season prediction.
Ive always preferred basketball in it's third division.

ronk

Quote from: HopkinsNest7 on November 03, 2017, 12:59:01 PM
I'm big on sticking to sports so I would like to veer off of this political conversation and dive into some talk of the hardwood. I don't see any centennial player kneeling because the notably bias centennial coverage would likely not show their protest on film in an attempt to manipulate the outsiders view of cent basketball. That being said, as you all know it took me a little bit to accept that there would be some turnaround in the Mule Barn but I am finally ready to embrace Kevin "Whats Hoppin" Hopkins as the leader in house. Word has stream lined out of Pennsylvanias third largest city that Hopkins has adapted a new approach of analytics. He will try to emulate Mike D'Antonis system and duke it out with opponents in a battle of nuclear offensive power. Now, I know everyone is thiking "D'Antoni could never beat Popovich so how could Hopkins beat Robinson". And to that I answer, Hopkins has an unparalleled winning pedigree that will inevitably lead to a Mules championship within the decade. Look for the Mules to instill the "Mid Range jumper is lava" theory and assault their opponents with a barrage of 3s from the back court and a copious amount of rim rattling slam dunks by the Big German Werheim. I'm smiling just thinkin about it. Mules for the 5 seed. Guarantee it, this will be my only pre season prediction.

Surprised at this part - Scranton has dropped from #3 to #7 behind Allentown, Erie, Reading, and Upper Darby Township.

saratoga

D3HoopJunkie

Any Swarthmore supporters on this board?

Should be a great early season match up between the Garnet and my Albertus Magnus Falcons!

I was just informed that most Centennial schools broadcast over Roku which is a great feature! Very much looking forward to the game!

swatfan#2

Only three seniors and a single junior--granted the junior is the returning conference player of the year. The question for Swat will be how quickly the freshmen come along. Their non-conference schedule is a significant upgrade. Should be a fun year.