MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Mardukas

Breaking News out of Allentown: Mules will return assistant coach Ryan Finch to replace the recently departed Connor Smith. Finch had recently assumed the role of pioneering an up and coming high school project down in south jersey but inevitably returned to his home in the centennial.

Finch was a McClary henchman for many years, but left after a dispute involving a post game meal in 2013. Seemingly Finchs loyalty is with Muhlenberg and not McClary as he will bring valued experience to the young Kevin Hopkins. In my opinion this is an essential get to return order to the Mule Barn, a great day for players and cent fans in general, congrats Ryan.
And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

sunny

Quote from: TeamMonix on August 29, 2017, 01:28:10 PM
If the assistant wants to make more money he should get out of coaching.  He left Muhlenberg after 2 months to work for a D3 program that hasn't had a winning season since 2009.

I don't know whether there's more to this particular story or not, but this might be one of the most ignorant things I've ever read here. Would sticking around have been noble? Perhaps. But every single dollar (and certainly the benefits) makes a difference to most people - especially young people starting out.

"If the assistant wants to make more money he should get out of coaching." That's just ... I mean ... seriously? Maybe every coach should just volunteer.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: sunny on September 01, 2017, 12:39:37 PM
Quote from: TeamMonix on August 29, 2017, 01:28:10 PM
If the assistant wants to make more money he should get out of coaching.  He left Muhlenberg after 2 months to work for a D3 program that hasn't had a winning season since 2009.

I don't know whether there's more to this particular story or not, but this might be one of the most ignorant things I've ever read here. Would sticking around have been noble? Perhaps. But every single dollar (and certainly the benefits) makes a difference to most people - especially young people starting out.

"If the assistant wants to make more money he should get out of coaching." That's just ... I mean ... seriously? Maybe every coach should just volunteer.

Completely agree. +k
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Corporal Hicks

Long time no blog for Corp, but I'm back just like the rest of the Cent student athletes. 

News about Connor Smith is interesting, but you can't blame the guy.  A full time position is something you cannot pass down when you're in the position that connor is in as a young aspiring NBA coach.  Speaking of NBA coaches maybe @hopkinsnest can bring back the ridiculously stupid, but entertaining theory that Jeff Van Gundy will appear in the Cent in hopes of manning one of the sidelines.   

Hope all of you stayed safe from Harvey if any are from Houston. 

Is it even d3boards if @monix doesnt try and critique every move by the Mules?  We all understand your loyalty to Coach Mclary, but that has nothing to do with Hopkins.

I'm considering going on a Centennial fall tour this year and stopping by all of the campuses in hopes of catching a pick up game or 2.  I can't achieve top message boarder without doing some work for it right? Cent ball is right around the corner and I cannot wait to see how each developing storylines unfold

Corp out 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

So... just been informed that Kevin Hopkins hired Jake Brown from Middlebury as the next assistant coach. I am sure that will be considered a horrible hire by someone on here or twist it in someway. However, to the rest of us who are sane... that is a nice hire. I liked Brown as a player. Clearly a coach on the court on top of a solid offensive option.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Red Onwuatuegwu

I like the hire of Jake Brown too Dave. Played his high school basketball in the northeast pa where he played aau under the great mentor of John Bucci. Bucci has a great basketball mind as well as being able to push his players and get the most out of them. Jake also played for Jeff Brown at Middlebury where they won a chip and I believe he also is Jake's uncle so the coaching has got to be in his blood there. Just over a month until the teams get on the grind and about two months until they start showing what they can truly do. The wait is killing me but at least we have football back!!!! Let's go jags!!!

Corporal Hicks

Agree with both Dave and Red.  I like the hire for the Mules.  Seems like its been a crazy last 6 months for the Mules good to see that they have 2 new coaches and that they can put their best foot forward moving on into the future of the program.  Very intrigued to see if the following for the mules will be affected by the dismissal of coach Mcclary.  I'm loooking forward to catching a few games in Allentown this year for sure.

Corp out 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Red Onwuatuegwu on September 12, 2017, 05:26:37 PM
I like the hire of Jake Brown too Dave. Played his high school basketball in the northeast pa where he played aau under the great mentor of John Bucci. Bucci has a great basketball mind as well as being able to push his players and get the most out of them. Jake also played for Jeff Brown at Middlebury where they won a chip and I believe he also is Jake's uncle so the coaching has got to be in his blood there. Just over a month until the teams get on the grind and about two months until they start showing what they can truly do. The wait is killing me but at least we have football back!!!! Let's go jags!!!

Yes. Jeff Brown is Jake's uncle. I thought I mentioned that, but it appears I accidentally eliminated it on edit.

Red Onwuatuegwu

Tough one for my Jags against those freaking Titans... Looks like they could be reverting back to their old ways but at least their defense seems to be up and coming! Speaking of defense... I know the best defender in the CC debate brought in many different opinions last year ranging from B-fed to Robbie Walsh to Matthew Tate to Remi "Boyz" Janicot and maybe even Owen McClouds... But I fully anticipate Kyle Doran out of Johns Hopkins to handcuff defenders on the perimeter and in the post. I hate to boost @Hopkinsnest ego but the kid can lock up. He's long enough and athletic enough where I think he's going to take his defensive intensity to a new level this year.

Afterthought*
I know this will not sit well with @Reserved but I don't see F&M getting back to their powerhouse tradition like they used to be after this year is over. G-Rob is sure to be leaving soon and with the losses of this senior class and G-Rob on his way out, look for the Dips to become the new Fords... A bye week at home and a light sweat on the road, but nonetheless an easy victory as long teams aren't out the night before or eating ridiculous pre-game meals such Mcdonalds or Chipotle.

2 more months my fellow fanatics!!!!

centfan

@red
fords will rebuild with new coach; stay tuned
no more automatic win from 2018-19 on when coach gets some of his own recruits playing for him

Reserved Seat

Red, wait until you see F&M's freshmen.  If they're as good as they look online, Robinson will be around at least 4 more years.  :)

Red Onwuatuegwu

@Centfan and @Reserved I hope you're both right! I'd love to see the Cent make its way to the upper echelon of division 3 basketball... @Reserved who all did F&M bring in?

Hank Mardukas

Thoughts on if the Cent should drug test?    ???
And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

Reserved Seat

Red, I'll wait until the roster is posted.  They brought in 10 freshmen.  I don't think they'll all make the roster.  Nine of them seem like quality players. (height, athletic, quick). None from Pennsylvania

ronk

On my way back Wed from the MD seashore, I took a side trip to a haunt as a youth(Tolchester Beach on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay) and drove by the campus of Washington College in the process. Hadn't known before that Washington is the 10th oldest college in the US. Spared my wife the pleasure of looking at another D3 gym, though.