SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdoug2

Here's hoping Fontbonne plays with intensity and smarts tonight vs MacMurray. When the griffins have their heads in the game they can be pretty tough. That and if the 3's are falling.

Go Fontbonne!!!!!!!!!!!
Go GRIFFINS

formersliaccommish

Don't blame President Pride for keeping the Blackburn students from standing in the first row of the bleachers at home basketball games. You can blame her for the incredibly stupid decision to drop Football at Blackburn, which will badly hurt the SLIAC was well as Blackburn, but if you want to blame someone for the "no standing in the front row" edict, blame me.

The problem with standing in the front row in the small SLIAC venues is that it doesn't take long for those who are standing to work their way close to, or inside the sideline. Then it's only a matter of time before a referee gets tangled up with a spectator, or that a player from the visiting team, chasing a loose ball, gets tangled up with spectators thus creating the potential for a real problem. That led to a nasty brawl at Oklahoma State, I believe, several years ago. It's hard to believe that Washington University, which runs an incredibly first class athletic program, still allows its "crazies" to encroach on the court as they do.

So, in my second or third year as Commissioner, I told the schools to either mandate that the spectators in the front row remain seated, or that no seating be permitted in the front row. Blackburn is apparently still following this edict so don't blame President Pride.

jdoug2

Fontbonne wins tonight. Sorry don't have a final.
Go GRIFFINS

Coach Will

As I thought, Greenville was well prepared for the Beavers. Greenville put up a great fight, and it took great defense and clutch shots for the Beavers to come out with the 14 point victory.

Day off, then prepare for a talented Principia, who has the leagues top player in Christina Speer. :(

fcnews

The front row issue started in a FU @ GC SLIAC Tournament Championship Men's Game. Over flowing crowd. The biggest I've ever seen at GC. On the final play of the game, some GC faithful may or may not of obstruted the play. That is why the rail went up in the old Long Gym set up.

theoneandonly

Quote from: coachdubb on February 18, 2009, 11:11:07 PM
As I thought, Greenville was well prepared for the Beavers. Greenville put up a great fight, and it took great defense and clutch shots for the Beavers to come out with the 14 point victory.

Day off, then prepare for a talented Principia, who has the leagues top player in Christina Speer. :(

Big win last night for the lady beavers, they looked very well prepared and kept their composure the whole game. it didnt seem like they were ever in doubt.
Baseball players get to every base.

theoneandonly

Quote from: formersliaccommish on February 18, 2009, 09:49:17 PM
Don't blame President Pride for keeping the Blackburn students from standing in the first row of the bleachers at home basketball games. You can blame her for the incredibly stupid decision to drop Football at Blackburn, which will badly hurt the SLIAC was well as Blackburn, but if you want to blame someone for the "no standing in the front row" edict, blame me.

The problem with standing in the front row in the small SLIAC venues is that it doesn't take long for those who are standing to work their way close to, or inside the sideline. Then it's only a matter of time before a referee gets tangled up with a spectator, or that a player from the visiting team, chasing a loose ball, gets tangled up with spectators thus creating the potential for a real problem. That led to a nasty brawl at Oklahoma State, I believe, several years ago. It's hard to believe that Washington University, which runs an incredibly first class athletic program, still allows its "crazies" to encroach on the court as they do.

So, in my second or third year as Commissioner, I told the schools to either mandate that the spectators in the front row remain seated, or that no seating be permitted in the front row. Blackburn is apparently still following this edict so don't blame President Pride.

I understand your ruling on this, however i dont think that you have been to very many different venues in the SLIAC lately. just to fill you in at maryville they bring a couch right behind the opposing teams basket which ever side it may be that half and make some pretty rediculous actions when they are shooting free throws. so i dont see the big deal of the first row at blackburn. in all honestly i think a lot of the sliac teams are on the same level and if an opposing player were to jump into the stands at blackburn i dont think there would be any trouble, i think they would either catch the player or get out of the way so he/she could catch themselves. maybe its just me, but i think blackburn security is also ruining the games because last night i saw a security officer yell at the crowd to settle down and was pointing into the crowd saying he would call the police on some students with under a minute left in the mens game and blackburn was winning. Sorry blackburn students you cannot stand, cheer, or sit on the front row, soon enough you probably wont even be able to watch the game, they will have empty gym games so theres "no home court advantage" as the announcer at blackburn always says. Although i have been out of blackburn for quite sometime i still enjoy going to the games and watching the girls and guys play their hearts out, same goes for baseball and softball. It just seems like after ramsey left the school it went straight down the drain as far as athletics go. I commend the coaches for still getting people in the gym and out to the fields, but i pitty  you because you never saw the glory days of blackburn athletics. Believe it or not at one time there were so many people in blackburns gym people would have to literally stand on the floor ALL over the place. oh yeah, did i mention that is no longer allowed either. so what it boils down to is, to all the athletes at blackburn you can once again blame this on the administration for the lack of fans at your games. hopefully dynasty and the natural can get the gym backto its old fashion on the 24th against maryville. sorry for the long rant but it has just been a long night and morning that has made me want to express this.

hopefan

one and only  -  former sliaccommish has been to all SLIAC venues - that was one of the outstanding things he did in his reign as commish, making himself known on each campus.   The Maryville situation was rectified last year, or at least this year....  there have been no couches at the end of the court, and the light mats or material, apparently draped over the chairs, serve as a barrier that keeps the students (who admirably are standing the whole game with no seating) from moving too close to the floor.  waving clapping etc from behind the hoop can be seen at any game and is acceptable by anyone but the most rigid of administrators.  I think if you think about things in a reasonable manner, you'll agree that the no standing in first row is for EVERYBODY's safety and Enjoyment of the game, particularly at a venue like Blackburn where there is virtually NO space between the out of bounds line and the first row.  I agree also that fans would in all cases try to protect or avoid players diving into the stands for a loose ball - I think more of a problem would be incidental caontact with a fan not paying attention and a player running the baseline etc- the player could easily feel the contact was 'purposeful' and take exception...  and the refs need space as they run the baseline deep in many situations....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

theoneandonly

i guess i do see your point, its just kind of frusterating sometimes i guess. ALSO it would be nice if blackburn would just fork up the money for a new gym/athletics center, and that in turn would get them more students/athletes. Look what happened to IC when they got theirs!   i know its not quite that simple, but it would be nice if it was! ;D

hopefan

At this point in time, I just hope Blackburn and Mac can continue to exist as schools with athletic programs, much less find funds for new facilities....  it's tough out there.....

theoneandonly

Quote from: hopefan on February 19, 2009, 11:34:02 AM
At this point in time, I just hope Blackburn and Mac can continue to exist as schools with athletic programs, much less find funds for new facilities....  it's tough out there.....

i agree. ive heard rumors about mac closing for about the last 4 years, that is probably why they are rumors. but yes times are very hard and being such small schools doesnt help their financial status one bit.

dynasty22

I understand that security has a job to do, but seriously, no one was in the front row..just like there never is, nor did anyone come close to being on the court. The only thing going on in our stands was cheering, chanting, and goofing off. It is rediculous for security to do that to us especially when we probably had about 25 kids cheering.
As someone said in the stands lastnight, if they already had secuirty on us for lastnights game, there goin to need the entire police department to settle us down on the 24th! Haha..
Also, my apologies if I led people on to believe that Mim had to do with the rule of no one in the front row, the SLIAC handed down this rule and she was to enforce it upon us.
But as stated earlier by one and only, little by little Blackburn is deminishing what fun Blackburn used to be...its a campus built and run by the students..and that's how I felt here 4 years ago..but it gets worse as each year goes by. I know Blackburn has some tough times right now as well as ahead of them, but please don't punish us for the ignorances of others...
Common Beavers...let's finish this season out strong!
Go Beavers!
Go Beavers!

Coach Will

Hope fan, Blackburn's first game at Marryville this year, the students sat under the basket, and they were loud, rude as they attacks the players and Head Coach of Blackburn. It also bothers me that security got on students last night, as they were just cheering, or booing very loud. Last I thought, both were acceptable ways to express your emotions at a venue.
As for the 24th, I feel that the students should be allowed to come and cheer on their team, with this said, i do not want our student section to do things to upset the officials!!!
Have as much as possible, but it would be nice to cheer some new creative cheers, and not the old corny ones. So Blackburn Fans, I challenge you all to be creative, and make the other team hate that they are hear. You can do that by being as loud as possible every time they have the ball. Watch a Duke game, and see how to turn a court to home court advantage.

Be LOUD!!!

hopefan

Coach Dubb  -  "they were loud rude and attacked the players and head Coach"  -  if you can give me examples of anything that went over the line, I'd be happy to report it to people at Maryville - I believe in callin for action, not sitting back and complaining.   Just make sure, as you think about it, that it was 'different' from however the Blackburn kids were getting on the opponents last night.    In other words, don't ask for it both ways.  I am in total agreement with you if things were said that were vulgar, profane, racist etc....

fcnews

Nothing compares to the couches back in the old days at Mac. When the center court was the official floor. No curtain and the bleachers stopped a full court away from the sidelines. Just before game time 6-8 groups with couches game walking in and took front row seats on the opposite sideline. And they were not friendly with the visitors. FU won their first trip to NCAA Tourney in that enviroment, in '96.

Those were the days.