SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 16, 2010, 11:48:28 PM
This was a typical frenetic Webster game with lots of turnovers on both sides. I wish I could see a box score and check out Webster's 2nd half shooting percentage. Has to be below 30%.

Turnovers: Logan 24, Webster 20.

Webster 2nd half shooting: 9-36, 25%. Not a problem last night, but ...

hopefan

just noticed on SLIAC.org that Blackburn lost their opener by 16 to Robert Morris Springfield..... ouch

Didn't realize the Greenville Westminster tourney also includes the ladies vs Hendrix and Rhodes at Greenville   the ladies play at 1 and 3......    4 games each day Fri and Sat.!!!

Fonbonne plays in tourneyat Adrian against Wittenburg.... we don't often get to see SLIAC schools measured against out of region competition... interesting.....

And Webster up at North Central Ill tourney....   

Good games all over....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

Fun lady's game at Fontbonne last night as Fontbonne won a game against Missouri Bap....  Bramel and Collier are not firing on all cylinders yet, and Mallory Ludwig won't return until January, but Rana Boyd took up the scoring slack last night and newcomers Shelby Ellison and Chelsey Freymouth are both valuable additions....  and Kendra Schilli plays tough defense and rebounds vs bigger people...

Mo Bap... no clue how they could lose that game.. bigger, stronger, better athletes... why they didn't go inside EVERY time down the court is a mystery to me...  Maybe I should get back into the business, because old school hoops, especially on the ladies side of things, would win a lot of games at this level....

While fontbonne won, Webster took another ugly thrashing....  a very disappointed Yjak joined me for the 2nd half of the Fontbonne men's game after leaving the webster girls game... didn't have much positive to say... this is another group of ladies with some basketball talent who seem somewhat 'disoriented' in game situations

Denny McKinney

Rana Boyd.... Back to Back double - doubles. Last nite 20 and 12 with the game winning shot. FU had 2 straight overtime wins coming in and almost needed another.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on November 24, 2010, 09:46:23 AM
While fontbonne won, Webster took another ugly thrashing....  a very disappointed Yjak joined me for the 2nd half of the Fontbonne men's game after leaving the webster girls game... didn't have much positive to say... this is another group of ladies with some basketball talent who seem somewhat 'disoriented' in game situations

The Webster defense does a decent job against teams of comparable talent, which Rose-Hulman is. R-H had an overall height advantage, but the Lady Gorloks rebounded well enough with them. Interior passing offense was mystifying, however, constantly trying to make passes when the defense was clearly in position to make a steal or disrupt the pass. I think there is just a general issue of the players not having good court vision. I know its challenging out there on the floor, but somehow they just have to figure out when the pass is makeable and when it's not. Also need to take open shots sooner rather than trying to continue to run the offense. I understand the strategy of the extra pass to get a better open look, but it just isn't happening from what I've seen in two games. "Disoriented" is a good word. You put it in quotes, hopefan. Did use that last night in our conversation?

hopefan

nope... just to put a little emphasis on it.... ;)

WUPHF

Webster University downed visiting Augustana (0-4) 62-60 with the game winning shot coming at 0.04.  The Vikings travel three miles north on Big Bend to play Washington University tomorrow at 2:00 pm.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: WUH on November 27, 2010, 06:13:29 PM
Webster University downed visiting Augustana (0-4) 62-60 with the game winning shot coming at 0.04.  The Vikings travel three miles north on Big Bend to play Washington University tomorrow at 2:00 pm.

I think the Wash U women will avenge the men's loss to the Vikings with no trouble tomorrow.

Wydown Blvd.

Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 27, 2010, 10:34:17 PM
Quote from: WUH on November 27, 2010, 06:13:29 PM

I think the Wash U women will avenge the men's loss to the Vikings with no trouble tomorrow.

They did 78-48

y_jack_lok

Nice all around game for the Lady Gorloks. Solid in every phase of the game. They were clearly the better team and played like it from start to finish. That's the way you  play basketball.

Denny McKinney

Fontbonne pounds Prin.

hopefan

from early results, it appears that the leading contenders for conference tourney are Greenville, Westmin, Fontbonne and Webster...   can BC get back in the mix... or am I overrating Webster who has looked great in the last week against very poor Mac and Eureka squads....

y_jack_lok

A gutsy win for the Lady Gorloks yesterday against a very similar team. All but seven of Webster's 75 points were scored by starters, but still some nice defensive minutes off the bench. Katy Meyer sat with four fouls for a long stretch of the second half and put up 26 points in 24 minutes. We're used to seeing her hit those three pointers but she got some nice buckets nearer the basket yesterday. If she can continue to do that, and still hit threes, watch out!

hopefan

Yjak... I looked up Central to see how they had been doing, and they are only 3-7... but lo and behold, one of their wins is over Westminster, 83- 74, early in the season.... all the same people played for Central...  very interesting.......

hopefan

Nothing has changed my mind so far that the top 4 women's teams remain as Webster, Greenville, Fontbonne, and Westmin, with Blackburn being the unknown, and Spalding being the spoiler....   I'll be surprised if Eureka, Mac, or Prin can break in to the top 4, though Prin has a couple of very good players who may still make an impact.

Given that, what does the first week of January look like on the ladies' side?

On the 4th, two interesting games... Webster plays at BC... BC was certainly looked at as a top 4 team in conference before the season, but have struggled to a 1-9 start.... whether it's a tough schedule, injuries, or other factors, that's a sad start.... a win over Webster could show that they still need to be considered a threat... a loss at home to Webster, well, would not be good... Webster's 5-4 start has been a pleasant surprise, but their two conference wins were against the bottom 2 teams Eureka and Mac... will be interesting to see how they handle BC's pressure in the matchbox....   
The other interesting game has Greenville going down to Spalding... a long trip, a long lay off, could be difficult to overcome... After seeing Greenville early in the season, I came away very impressed... nice to see that program back in the hunt.....

on the 6th BC travels to Westmin... very tough game for them... 2 losses in the Webster/Westmin games will just about make for an early wrap to the season for BC... two wins would turn EVERYTHING around....

Then on Saturday the 8th, Fontbonne at Webster...  I'm ALMOST as anxious to see this game as the second game that afternoon between the men.