SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NO RESPECT

Good luck to Coach Ellis and Maryville as they enter the NCAA tourney. Represent the SLIAC well.
Defense is a full time job, and not a part time practice.

sully309

I was pleased with the all-conference awards. I'm sure there's people out there that disagree, but Nicole Fisher (POY) and Brittany Gardner (2nd team) got picked right where I thought they should be. Kudos to the coaches for getting it right (or at least agreeing with me).

I would have liked to see McAllister of Fontbonne be on the 1st team, but it's hard for me to find someone that did make it that I would take off.

I was at the championship game and came away not liking Maryville's chances at having a good showing in the tournament. They don't have enough shooters and a good team shouldn't turnover the ball over as much as Maryville is accustomed to in the SLIAC. On the bright side, Wilhelm was very impressive in the championship game and very deserving of tourney MVP.

hopefan

well unfortunately, Maryville plays at Illinois Wesleyan, vs Illinois Wesleyan..
other pair at Illinois Wesleyan is Wisconsin Whitewater - Manchester

Illinois Wesleyan has crushed 4 or 5 SLIAC opponents, and beat Wash badly in the first game of the year.   Maryville will be a real Cinderella in this one.....   but we're all rootin' for them.

Maryville lost to Whitewater by 19 earlier in the year, Ill Wes beat Manchester by 32 earlier....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

jdoug2

Good luck to Maryville vs Ill Wes.

I also think McAllister for Fontbonne should have been 1st team, but what the heck do I know.  :)

It was nice to see Reale make 3rd team. And with Maryville going undefeated again I have no problem with them having 4 players make various levels of all-conference.
Go GRIFFINS

NO RESPECT

It's going to be fun to see how everything shapes out in this conference next year>>>with Fontbonne, Greenville, Blackburn and Webster getting better, one of these teams could catch maryville next year.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Coach Dubb on March 04, 2008, 05:41:28 PM
It's going to be fun to see how everything shapes out in this conference next year>>>with Fontbonne, Greenville, Blackburn and Webster getting better, one of these teams could catch maryville next year.

I wouldn't count on it. The gap is too wide for those teams to catch up next year. Maryville will  have to get worse, as well, and that is the last thing this conference needs. We need Maryville to get better and others to get much, much better.

NO RESPECT

There is no way that the other coaches in this conference will not exhaust all that they can to get up to Maryville's level! This does not mean that they will beat them, but we should see less blow outs by them.

y_jack_lok

Seeing fewer blow outs is one thing. Catching Maryville is another. I do agree that the gap can be narrowed, however.

jdoug2

Every team wants to get better. Executing that idea is another matter. 

Fontbonne is losing 4 seniors, including McAllister, Reale and Chamberlain. They are losing all of their post players. I will be interested to see if coach can do some major recruiting. If not, Fontbonne could have a tougher year in 08-09.
Go GRIFFINS

HCACBBALL

D3hoops picks Maryville to beat IWU in the first round.  That would be a great shot in the arm to the conference.  Personally I think Maryville will be able to hang with IWU.  I hope Maryville is able to handle IWU's pressure for 40 minutes. 

There is some new blood in the coaching ranks and in the near future will challenge Maryville.  If Blackburn brings in some good recruits I could see them competing against Maryville next year.  This conference needs to have more competition with Maryville which will strengthen Maryville.  I would like to see a team from this conference not only make the national tourney but make some noise in it.

NO RESPECT

I have seen both teams play, Maryville and IWU, and I do not think that Maryville will be able to handle IWU pressure defense. Maryville had trouble with Fontbonne's pressure in the 2nd half of the championship game. I think that Westminster and Webster will be better next season as will Principia. Let's not count out any team, as we have quality coaches in this conference.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Coach Dubb on March 05, 2008, 06:47:09 PM
I think that Westminster and Webster will be better next season as will Principia. Let's not count out any team, as we have quality coaches in this conference.

I agree that the pieces are in place for the SLIAC women's teams to improve. The next two to three years will be interesting, and will tell us a good deal about some of the new coaches in the conference.

NO RESPECT

Good luck to maryville, I hope that they will be able to handle IWU full court pressure tonight. IWU is just as deep, so Maryville will not be able to wear them down.

y_jack_lok

7 1/2 minutes gone in the ifrst half and IWU leads Maryville 25-10

y_jack_lok

UNBELIEVABLE!!! MU's Toni Picerno makes a layup on a fast break!! IWU 31 MU 16.