SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

That is not why Maryville is leaving for D2. Women's basketball is the only sport in which they have excelled/dominated in the conference -- and that has been the past 4-5 years. It has not been that way forever. I believe the move to D2 is about an overall institutional plan for what the Maryville trustees and administration want the school to be.

Even with Maryville the SLIAC is a lower rung conference in D3 women's basketball. Without Maryville who knows where it ranks among all conferences. I certainly hope the conference and member schools don't want to settle for this state of affairs.

y_jack_lok

If you didn't notice it, go to the D3hoops home page and click on the link under Notables dated Sep 15. The MacMurray athletic program takes another hit, losing their head women's coach, after one year, to Nebraska Wesleyan.

hopefan

Where is Mac Attack when we need him most???? 

Can't help but wonder if the position was a part time position, and Coach Jensen is moving to a full timer....  Mac has really had its problems - last year they beat only Prin in OT, and Lincoln Christian twice  -  seems to me Abby Lowe was a good player, but not sure if she graduated??   Coach Jensen must have sold himself on his record as an assistant...  Of course, the combo of YJack, Hopefan and FCnews might have had a tough time urging more than 3 wins out of last year's squad....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

y_jack_lok

I'd leave the coaching to hopefan and fcnews to concentrate on making sure the players have plenty of water to drink.

hopefan

True, and it's always up to the 2nd assistant to harrass the officials and take the occasional "t" also.....

Coach Will

Coach Jensen is a good young coach, that had Mac playing some great basketball during the season. Mac gave Maryville all that they could handle, and played well against several other teams in the conference.
Abby Lowe is still at Mac, and is gonna give the conference school nightmares during this upcoming season, as this young lady can really score.
I wish Coach Jensen aka. Shooter the best, and I want him to know that he will be missed in the SLIAC!

hopefan

Met the new Maryville Softball Coach as she watched the Eureka - Parkway South ...  Bright, Enthusiastic, Division 1 experience - and far better looking than the prior coach.....    geez, maybe this Division 2 stuff isn't so bad after all

AndOne

Quote from: y_jack_lok on September 16, 2008, 01:40:15 PM
If you didn't notice it, go to the D3hoops home page and click on the link under Notables dated Sep 15. The MacMurray athletic program takes another hit, losing their head women's coach, after one year, to Nebraska Wesleyan.

Just how big of a hit was it?
He was 3-20.
I think they'll survive.

y_jack_lok

The reference to taking a hit was simply about stability in the coaching ranks, not about the team's record. It seems from the article about the coach's move to NWU that he has been part of winning programs so had he stayed at Mac it's quite possible he could have improved the program. If NWU didn't think he could help their program I'm sure he wouldn't have gotten the job.

Of course they will survive, but it's hard on players to play for two or three coaches over a four year period. Webster had that problem and it has taken a toll.

AndOne

Well, as an NWU grad (click on the pic below my screen name) I certainly do hope he does indeed improve the program.   ;)

formersliaccommish

This is in response to Hopefan's September 19 post regarding the new softball coach at Maryville. it's a little late but it needs to be said. She may be "bright, enthusiastic, have Division I experience, and be better looking than the previous coach" but she will be hard-pressed to come close to matching his accomplishments at Maryville. I wish her well.

In nine seasons, Coach Kennedy was 220-148 (.597) overall, always playing the best competition in he Midwest, and 85-28 (.752) in the SLIAC. He won three conference championships, finished second four times, third once, and fourth once. In his last five seasons he finished first, first, second, second, and first. His teams were always in the upper echelon in academics in NCAA Division III and one year they were first in the nation. He was the major force in developing the best softball field in the SLIAC. His dismissal was met by an outpouring of protests from current and former players and their parents.

I point all of this out because the same people who made the decision to move Maryville to Division II made the decision to dismiss him. Deciding which is the worst of those two decisions isn't easy!

y_jack_lok

Quote from: y_jack_lok on August 08, 2008, 06:26:57 PM
That is not why Maryville is leaving for D2. Women's basketball is the only sport in which they have excelled/dominated in the conference -- and that has been the past 4-5 years. It has not been that way forever. I believe the move to D2 is about an overall institutional plan for what the Maryville trustees and administration want the school to be.

Given the post by formersliaccomish, I guess I  have to ammend my statement above. From what he says, Maryville has certainly excelled, if not dominated, in women's softball in recent years. Since I follow primarily Webster and have not paid close attention to historical softball results, I thank the commish for his post.

I hope the end of this academic year will bring an end to the extensive discussion about Maryville's move to D2. It's their school and they can do what they want.

hopefan

ahhh to be a fly on the wall....  I too had no idea that the Maryville Coach had such a successful record and was "dismissed" .  Wonder what part of the story we're missing?  My limited impression of him was that he was an avid supporter of the basketball program and the school- seemingly at every home game....  I had attended only one SB game over at MU

Of course my comments regarding the new coach were made only relative to my conversation with her - I had no knowledge of the prior coach's outstanding performance....

fcnews

Hey Coach. Niether choice makes much since. This probably will not be the last of the coaching fall out. Curious decision though, if your moving up a level wouldn't you want to keep one of your strongest programs rolling.

DukeDevil

I heard a rumor that Webster's coach is leaving? Can anyone confirm or deny this?  If this is the case, the timing could not be worse with practice right around the corner. Might be another long year for the Gorlocks.