WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calhsu

Yes I remember that the year before I entered HSU the cowboys had won a game at  Abilene Christian "College" and it was a riotious affair and soon after the HSU coach died of a heart attack.  In the four years I was there we never played men's basketball again with ACC.  (it became ACU during those four years.) 
All I remember of Kimbrell was that it was as close to as hot as "hell" (in the Biblical sense) as I ever wanted to get.

calhsu

I dug my yearbook out.  In 72-73 HSU and McM didn't play in 73-74 they split and that was the game I remembered.  According to the year book that was the year the gym was new.   (in 74-75 MCm won both games and 75-76 HSU won both games)  I guess i had selective memory.  I was sports editor for the Brand in 76 and I guess the wins were easier to remember.   

I know this is not woman's basketball,  but we have a week to kill.

As far a the future HSU, McMurry contest  I think it will be the most important game for both teams,  at least for the month of December.  Like last year, losing the first game didn't mean HSU's season was over.  It was important for McMurry because it told them they could beat HSU which as I remember they hadn't done since 2000.  This year I think the roles are reversed even though HSU has the ratings in the polls.   If HSU wins they will stay in the polls for the season unless they fall apart.  If HSU loses they will go to a 20 something positon and McMurry will get into the polls.
Then they would both stay in the polls unless someone elses knocks them off.   Which Ralph and I remember was exactly what happened back in the ancient times of 2000.

bcal

calhsu,  Old Indian Gym was replaced by the Hunt Center in the mid 70s.  The old gym could not be cooled or heated.  There was no such thing as an unobstructed view of the court.  The floor was less than even.  The locker rooms for home and visitors were yuck.  It was a tough place to play.  The old Rose Field House at HSU was much better.  Bennett Gym at ACC was a little better than what we had at McMurry.  ...... would some people refer to those times as the "good ole days" ???    From what I remember of HPU's place, it is still not so good.   Midwestern University old place was the pits.  You could not recuit players today to play in the old gyms that were available

These may well be better times.  

bcal

calhsu,  McMurry ladies team shows promise and may have depth that was not present last year.  Coach Nichols is playing about ten people some good minutes each game.  This upcoming contest with HSU may very well be the sternest test in this young season.
Tara Richardson, at post, is maturing, and it sould be pointed out, is getting more help in the paint. 

Teams look evenly matched, well coached, and the game has importance to all concerned.  Can't ask for more.

Ralph Turner

Calhsu, I too dug out my yearbooks.  This is about the men.  McMurry doesn't have women's hoops yet, a Title IX contribution!

In 1971, HSU is University Division (Pre D-I, D-II, D-III) NCAA and McMurry is NAIA in the Lone Star Conference.

In the 1970-71 season, McM split the series with HSU 87-90 and 84-74.  McM split with  ACC (ACU) 63-73 and 77-73.  McM went 8-10 in the LSC.  The LSC rep SF Austin lost in the Quarterfinals of the 32-team NAIA tourney (held in Kansas City--isn't that a basketball junkie's paradise!).

The old Indian Gym had been built in 1927.  It did not age gracefully.  I remember McM playing HSU with Harvey Catchings and Stedman Graham (Mr Oprah Winfrey) in the Taylor County Coliseum in 1972.  That very young 1971-72 team with LSC Freshman of the Year Rick Penny lost both games to HSU and ACC.  McMurry did not play ACC or HSU in 1972-73.  The  "new" Indian gym- officially the Hunt Health and Physical Education Center with the later designation -Kimbrell Arena-- was opened in 1973-74.  In the 1973-74 series, non-scholarhsip McM split with D1 Hardin-Simmons, 68-76 and 97-93.  McMurry sweeps ACU 98-92 and 98-85.

McMurry gives up scholarship athletics after the 1971-72 season.  They leave the LSC after 1972-73 with a 15-13 /8-10 records, and wander in the wilderness (something called the Texoma Atheltic Conference*) until the founding of the TIAA (Austin College, McMurry College, Sul Ross State, Tarleton State College and Trinity University) in 1976.

*I am not sure whether the Texoma Athletic Conference is the predecessor of the Sooner AC.

matalk

So how long do we have to wait to start making our predictions for the game on the 12th? Should we wait till later in the week? THE game is a week away, when does the controversy start? I'm new, so I don't know what the "rules" are.

Ralph Turner

Go ahead matalk.  But I am going to remain quiet! ;)

Go Lady Indians!  Pass your finals! :)

dsc

Ralph, looking ahead...will the McM-HSU game be broadcast?  I know HSU has the "Game Tracker" for home games...and broadcast other games later on in the season...

What about McM's home games?  Let us know, please!

...and how to connect.

Thanks.

HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

mcmfan

You should be able to hear the McMurry broadcast by going to http://www.mcm.edu/athletics/athleticstwo.htm and then following the directions. 
Alacumba!

dsc

Got it!

Thanks, mcmfan...

Both games should be great...and crucial...early in the season for such games!!!

mcmfan

Of course, you may not like the announcers... their blood is very maroon.  You'll get a good blow-by-blow account of the action, but don't expect any objectivity!
Alacumba!

Ralph Turner

Kit and Leon, the McMurry announcers, will acknowledge a really blatant call for McMurry.

But, they bleed Maroon! ;) ;) ;)

fanstand

The polls are killing me. HSU moves up to 15 in the top 25 and Mcm loses 2 points. We can't get any respect. But that's okay, our time's a comin'. I say Lady Indians gonna take the game on Monday. No predictions by how much, just to prove the polls wrong. Good for the ASC that at least we are represented..........guess we'll find out monday if I'm right or just whining...............

Ralph Turner

Fanstand, the ASC has just not broken thru on the National scene.  HSU has never defeated a non-South Region tourney opponent.

HPU lost a close one to Trinity at home in the first round last year.    Trinity still has respect from the 2003 tourney championship.

http://www.d3hoops.com/terrehaute/03/

Look how "do-able" a Final Four or even a Tourney Finals might have been last year, if HPU had "done it".

http://www.d3hoops.com/vabeach/05/pairings.htm

We think that we have something down here, especially in the ASC-West, but we just have not executed it!

As you said, in due time!

dsc

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 06, 2005, 10:35:01 PM
Fanstand, the ASC has just not broken thru on the National scene.  HSU has never defeated a non-South Region tourney opponent.

////////////////////////////////

Note from dsc...

Ralph what qualifies as a "non-South Region tourney opponent?"

In March, 2004 at  WI/Stevens Point, HSU defeated Eastern Mennonite 91-64 on the way to the Elite Eight.  HSU was also in the "Elite Eight" in 2000, but I was unable to find the names of the teams they beat to get there.

Just curious...not wanting to argue.  Help me!