Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Richardson 20 pts & 10 reb
Sawyer 16pts
Engelke 14pts.
Venekamp 11 and 5 rebs
Burton 9 pts.
Tuttle 11 assists and 2 points (that pull-up jumper in the last 3 minutes when McMurry needed that.  I am glad that Symbri can make that one. Megan Silva has that shot.  Symbri needs to pull that trigger more often to keep the defense more off-balance.)

FG 31-59 (20-29 in the 2nd half). 3FG 7-19; FT 6-12 (ARGGHH!); Rebs 32 TO's 13 Steals 9.

dsc

Correction:

Latest score per Gametracker:

HSU 87
CUA 44

(For some reason they changed it.)

...all in the interest of truthfulness... :D
HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

mcmfan

McM is still in first place, but coasting on its laurels.  Compare the point spreads with no. 2 HSU in the last two games:

McM over Concordia by 31; HSU over Concordia by 43
McM over UMHB by 8; HSU over UMHB by 21

We actually trailed for much of the game with UMHB, and only put it away in the last few minutes.  At the start of the season, McM consistently scored higher spreads against the same teams played with both them and HSU.  Now, the opposite is happening.  HSU seems to be playing better right now than we are.  McM needs to remember that every team can beat them; we need to think like underdogs and fight for every point or our perfect season will evaporate!  The moment we start feeling good about leading the division, that lead will disappear.

Alacumba!

inthepaint

It is going to be a great end of the season run for HPU and HSU and then a tremendous tournament in Mississippi!

fanstand

Mcm fan, I agree we look a little like we are not fired up, but I think the lady Indians will be fine. I do see a little let up in their fire for some of these teams, but they are continually stepping up when they have to. The thing positive I see, is there is no panic on their part, by the coaches or the players, they stay calm and work until they put the other team away. Today I wondered WHEN that would kick in, but it did. As the tourney comes around I think the fire will return. They will work hard and be ready. The other teams, UMHB for example is playing much better than they did at the first of the season. The freshman around the league are getting use to the systems, and chemistry is evolving in everyone. We must prepare for every team no matter what their record. There is no calk walk. Way to pull it out ladies, continue working hard no let up, lets finish strong.......

nash

MC beat UTT by 6 in overtime.  A good hard fought ballgame from beginning to end.  The lead changed back and forth the whole game.  MC was up by three with 6 seconds left in regulation and UTT hit a 3 with 2 seconds left.  I don't know how UTT fared against the west side but watching them today they are tough and they came to play.

inthepaint

Welcome, Nash!  Keep us posted on those eastern games!  Far too little out of the fans east of the Lone Star State.  I'm glad to see you here! :D

Ralph Turner

Welcome Nash, it is great to have someone reporting from the ASC East!

UT-Tyler lost to HSU and McM at home and then lost to HPU on the road. Five wins and 3 losses, as one might expect.

http://www.d3hoops.com/school_info.php?school=Texas-Tyler&team=w

nash

MC's Lacey Kennedy was injured last night early in the second half.  She took a charge and fell hard and it looked like her wrist was hurt.  I don't know anything other than what you could see at the game.  I hope she is alright because her role is much larger than than the leading scorer.

Ralph Turner

nash, you are right!  That is a great win for the Lady Chocs!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 19, 2006, 12:56:31 PM
Moses, thanks for the input, and welcome again, to the ASC board.

I think that we have a genuine difference of opinion.  I thought that the very talented Trinity 2003 National Champion team embodied the physical attributes that it takes to win the National Championship, tall, smart, big and talented.

Deep in my heart, I have wondered if HSU has not had that challenge from the strong physical teams in the conference and have not been able to get past the Sectionals for that fact. (Obligatory kudos for the job that HSU has done in the playoffs!  ;) )

I know that every time I have mentioned the importance of strength training to a coach or national observer, they have agreed with the need for the ASC to be physically stronger.

(Women players, physiologically, the bulk goes away when you decrease the activity.  In 20 years of observing D-1 Women's players as they have moved on in life, the weight training effects have dissipated when they stopped working on weights.)

This should be an area for active discussion!

A very respected observer of ASC basketball, having seen a goodly number of ASC playoff games, has done some research and counters my opinion. 

S/he has given me permission to paraphrase these thoughts.

QuoteAs someone that has seen several of the ASC's losses in the playoffs and many of the wins,  the theory that we get dominated by bigger players is not true. Without exception it is guard play where we have not matched up in the past. We in the  ASC do not have guards that can drive, pull-up and shoot the 10 footer or if you lay off, they can bury the three. Almost every guard in the conference can either do one or the other.

We don't see those guards who can do both in the ASC regular season and that has been the difference in every one of the games that  the ASC has lost in the post-season.

Our posts have always matched up and even dominated at times with their speed. It has been the slashing type guards that have hurt us.

Here is some evidence of the starting guards and post players. The first year St Thomas was bigger, but they also shot well.  Every other year was totally opposite.

Year     Opponent                      Posts               Guards
2000     McM loses to HSU in the Sweet 16.

2000     St. Thomas                   22-19, ST         28-22, ST

2001     Baldwin-Wallace           26-22, HSU       36-20, BW

2002     DePauw                        23-11, HSU       43-10, DePauw

2003     Trinity                          41-21, HSU       30-13, Trinity

2004     UW-SP                         *21-16, UWSP  42-32, UWSP

2005     Trinity                          27-25, Trinity  **24-5 Trinity

*The HSU posts were freshmen and in foul trouble, but HSU received 14 post points off the bench.

**HPU gets 18 points off the bench from Meia Daniels.

I feel that Texas does not have as good of high school girls' basketball as the Ohio, Wisconsin's, Indiana's of the world and those teams are all way more fundamentally sound.  We have very few girls in the ASC that can put the ball on the floor and pull up.  Look at the number of traveling violations in almost any game ASC or HS or even D2 for that matter. They are not fundamentally sound from a national perspective. 

There are four players in the league that I have seen do this on a consistent level.  They were/are the superstars in the conference:  HSU's Diana Martinez, CUA's Ashley Edwards, SRSU's April Ramirez and now HPU's Meia Daniels. Those four could dominate, because they could do both.

The Trinity team that won the title in 2003 had five players that could do the drive- and-pull-up thing. All the teams that are good can do it and ASC teams have not shown that. Megan Silva at R-M can do it, and she led them almost single-handedly to the title game. She was doing it as a freshman at R-MC when HSU beat them in the 2003 second round game in Abilene.

http://www.d3hoops.com/story.php?story=18229

If you don't have that element, you can't go deep.  McMurry is good this year, but they don't have anyone that does that either. HSU does not have that type of guard this year either. Howard Payne does (Meia Daniels) and Mississippi College has several girls that can drive, but they can't really shoot the 3.

I respect this observer's educated opinion.  We shall see what plays out.

dsc

Thanks Ralph...

Good reporting.  Also, thanks to the one who did all that research...quite an effort, I must say!

Some good points.  Remember when "tall guys" were all you needed?  Now a PG is just as valuable...sometimes even more so!

The rest of the season for the ASC is shaping up to be a "barn burner!"  And the conference playoffs should be worth the ticket!
;D
HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

inthepaint

Ralph,

I appreciate the statistical research.  My perception of our big girls getting dominated in the paint may be flawed.  With that said, the three years that HSU lost at the 16 team bracket or beyond, wasn't Kendra Anderson the team's go-to-girl, essentially the only real dominating presence inside?  Wasn't she all-american at least one of those years and all-conference, all-whatever the others?

My point would be that she held her own against the big, donimant girls inside and that's why those inside numbers look good, but a team can't win at that level riding on the back of one player as they had much of the regular season. 

Again, watching ASC teams beyod the ASC action they get dominated by bigger, stronger, quicker girls.  Guard play certainly plays a HUGE part in the formula for success but it does not negate the fact that our ASC girls are smaller, weaker and end up whipped inside.

fanstand

In the paint, I agree with your assessment of how important the guard play is. When Kendra was at HSU, it seems like they didn't really have to "play" hard (during the regular season),they didn't have to fight back from being behind, they had a pretty easy time winning in the conference and the tourney. When it got to playoffs, Kendra seemed to do alot of the work. I think McM has the guard play to go with the inside game this year. Maigen Sawyer and Kaycee Venekamp are tough, mentally and physically. If one is off it seems like the other one is on. And what can you say about Symbri, she makes it all work together. We have other guards who come in and make things happen also. And our post players have stepped up coming in off the bench. Carli and Tarra have been awesome. Will we be able to hold it all together for the tourney? I think so, I don't think we have peaked yet, and don't lose hope McM fan, I really don't think we are going soft. I know HSU had a good weekend, but I truly believe this McM team has what it takes. Heart and hard work!!!That's what got us to 16-0, that's what will take us to the tourney and into the playoffs. Work hard ladies, you deserve more......

matalk

See on the scoreboard that MC beat LA college by 1. Lacey Kennedy not in the boxscore. Where is millie when we need the scoop? Is Lacey hurt or are they letting her heal from the other night? Must have been a close game.