FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdelsean

Having called the Wesley/NCC game in 2015, get there a day early, hope the Cubs have a day game, and enjoy that river walk area in Naperville. One of my favorite road trips from a grave perspective.

thewaterboy

Wesley Football Last 10 Seasons (2010-19):

- Overall Record: 103-23 (82%)
- Regular Season Record: 84-14 (86%)
- Home Record: 57-7 (89%)
        - 3 of those losses came in the past two seasons.
- 3 NJAC Titles in 5 years in the conference.
- ECAC Bowl Win.

- 9 playoff appearances. 9 2nd Round appearances, 6 quarterfinal apps, 3 semifinal apps.

It was an impressive decade full of exciting wins, let downs, and what-could-have-beens. Wesley was dealt a lot of adversity off the field as well. First with Ben Knapp in 2011 and then losing Coach Drass prior to the 2018 season.

One of the things that has been constant through it all (and part of the reason this team is so fun to follow and be around) is the community that is brought up around the team. It is the reason why former players keep coming back and I think it is the reason why Wesley is able to sustain success when they have fallen behind in terms of other "draws" like facilities, academic prestige, etc. That is thanks to the long-term commitment of the coaches. I think Wesley is very fortunate to have coaches that have stuck around the program for so long to build what we have seen in the last decade. Coach Drass and Coach Knapp started it 30 years ago (and had planned to retire together). Steve Azzanesi has been there 19 years. Bernie Nowakowski (strength) has been there 14). I'd be interested to see how other coaching staffs compare in terms of tenure of coaches (aside from Mount Union perhaps). I know Rick Giancola has been at Montclair forever also.

I hope the next decade brings more success for Wesley both on the football field and financially, so that the doors stay open. I think a very good season is on tap for 2020.

Teamski

Quote from: thewaterboy on January 03, 2020, 11:18:56 PM
I hope the next decade brings more success for Wesley both on the football field and financially, so that the doors stay open. I think a very good season is on tap for 2020.

Well stated Jake!  Have a great new years there bud.  We'll see you in the fall!

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: thewaterboy on January 03, 2020, 11:18:56 PM
Wesley Football Last 10 Seasons (2010-19):

- Overall Record: 103-23 (82%)
- Regular Season Record: 84-14 (86%)
- Home Record: 57-7 (89%)
        - 3 of those losses came in the past two seasons.
- 3 NJAC Titles in 5 years in the conference.
- ECAC Bowl Win.

- 9 playoff appearances. 9 2nd Round appearances, 6 quarterfinal apps, 3 semifinal apps.

It was an impressive decade full of exciting wins, let downs, and what-could-have-beens. Wesley was dealt a lot of adversity off the field as well. First with Ben Knapp in 2011 and then losing Coach Drass prior to the 2018 season.

One of the things that has been constant through it all (and part of the reason this team is so fun to follow and be around) is the community that is brought up around the team. It is the reason why former players keep coming back and I think it is the reason why Wesley is able to sustain success when they have fallen behind in terms of other "draws" like facilities, academic prestige, etc. That is thanks to the long-term commitment of the coaches. I think Wesley is very fortunate to have coaches that have stuck around the program for so long to build what we have seen in the last decade. Coach Drass and Coach Knapp started it 30 years ago (and had planned to retire together). Steve Azzanesi has been there 19 years. Bernie Nowakowski (strength) has been there 14). I'd be interested to see how other coaching staffs compare in terms of tenure of coaches (aside from Mount Union perhaps). I know Rick Giancola has been at Montclair forever also.

We've got to hope that the community and the former players realize how dire the situation is and reach deep into their pockets to help out if they are able to do so. Speaking to a friend who has been hired in a part-time consulting (around fundraising) capacity.............they need to raise a pretty big chunk of change, especially if the State says, "no more" (as other DE schools see this and want their fair share as well). Good luck to Wesley. I wish them all of the best.

RowanPhan

Recently I came across an interesting update on social media. It appears Rowan may have landed former NJ high-school star, Ashante Worthy.  If in fact he makes the roster, he would be a great addition for the Profs.

Below is a past article highlighting his accolades. Apparently he had the talent for Rutgers but not the grades.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2018/02/which_nj_class_of_2018_recruits_either_unsigned_or.html

Ashante Worthy, RB, Freehold Borough (5-9, 195)

One of N.J.'s top all-time players and a Shore legend, not to mention NJ.com's 2017 player of the year, Worthy led New Jersey in rushing yards – 2,806 rushing yards and 41 rushing TDs – while also throwing for 2,106 yards and 20 additional TDs, completing 69.4 percent of his passes in 2017. And despite receiving FBS looks from Rutgers and others, he'll take his talents to Lackawanna in 2018, as he's not an academic qualifier at this point. Worthy projects best to slot receiver or defensive back at the next level of play.

Ashante Worthy's career stats:
6,400 career rush yds
2,963 career pass yds
826 return yds (ko ret, p ret, INT ret)
403 receiving yds
10,592 total yards from scrimmage
119 Total TDs

Go Rowan!

thewaterboy

https://delawarestatenews.net/opinion/commentary/commentary-wesley-college-should-receive-needed-funding/

Interesting argument on behalf of Wesley getting financial assistance from the state of Delaware. If Wesley were to merge with another institution, would the football team still exist?

Teamski

Quote from: thewaterboy on January 26, 2020, 10:31:58 PM
https://delawarestatenews.net/opinion/commentary/commentary-wesley-college-should-receive-needed-funding/

Interesting argument on behalf of Wesley getting financial assistance from the state of Delaware. If Wesley were to merge with another institution, would the football team still exist?

Nice to see a good op-ed in its favor.  I would hope that if Wesley ever merged, it would be able to keep its athletic teams.  If UD were to take the campus, perhaps the college could stay in DIII ala WIAC where it would be like a UW Oshkosh.  In this case it could be the University of Delaware, Dover.  Ultimately, I hope that Wesley can survive as is with the support of the state as it is an important part of Dover and a long standing institution of higher learning.  Nothing would pain me more than a beautiful small campus of empty buildings nestled in the heart of the town.  Wesley has a lot to offer not to mention Delaware's best nursing program.

-Ski

Bartman

All the best to Wesley in sorting out their financial challenges....the Delaware economy and D3 Football needs you to thrive.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Teamski on January 26, 2020, 11:12:36 PM
Quote from: thewaterboy on January 26, 2020, 10:31:58 PM

Nice to see a good op-ed in its favor.  I would hope that if Wesley ever merged, it would be able to keep its athletic teams.  If UD were to take the campus, perhaps the college could stay in DIII ala WIAC where it would be like a UW Oshkosh.  In this case it could be the University of Delaware, Dover.  Ultimately, I hope that Wesley can survive as is with the support of the state as it is an important part of Dover and a long standing institution of higher learning.  Nothing would pain me more than a beautiful small campus of empty buildings nestled in the heart of the town.  Wesley has a lot to offer not to mention Delaware's best nursing program.

-Ski

Ski, what would happen if it became a UD Dover Campus from an admissions standpoint? I know that UD isn't easy to get into and is fairly rigorous academically...............as well as not being cheap either. Thanks!

jmcozenlaw

I just read an article dated November 9, 2019 and this was part of it....................

"Only half of Wesley's freshmen last year stayed the next semester, according to the College, and reportedly only 18 students came to Wesley's first fall open house on Oct. 19.
Students want to know what the college is doing about it".

Those are brutal numbers. I wish Wesley the best!!

thewaterboy

https://delawarestatenews.net/schools/wesley-college-to-receive-3-million-in-state-funding/

So, Wesley secures the funding it needs.... until it comes to an agreement on a merger with another institution.... that's disappointing.

No idea what that means for the football team.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: thewaterboy on February 06, 2020, 11:54:13 PM
https://delawarestatenews.net/schools/wesley-college-to-receive-3-million-in-state-funding/

So, Wesley secures the funding it needs.... until it comes to an agreement on a merger with another institution.... that's disappointing.

I can only speak from the outside but up here in Boston it didn't turn out well for 3 d3 schools.

Wheelock was bought by Boston University and basically disappeared.  If you went to Wheelock during the merger you were now a BU student and got a BU degree.  All Wheelock sports were eliminated.

Mt. Ida was looking to merge with Lassell College and that would have kept the football team I assume.  But UMASS Amherst (not the other d3 UMASS schools) bought it and it is now like a satellite campus for a school 2 hours away.  I do know a lot of UMASS Boston faculty and staff were upset that the Amherst campus got it instead of Boston but that seemed more like a policital move.   Anyway in the end Mt. Ida is no longer.

Newbury College simply closed shop and its buildings sold to the highest bidder.

Pine Manor should close, but seems to have a heavy stream of federal scholarship money which funds a lot of the students there.

UMass Boston seems to be doing strong, adding dorms and other buildings which was once a pretty crappy campus.  I don't see them adding football back anytime soon but who knows.  It seemed to work wonders for places like Anna Maria (and Mt. Ida from what I heard but that didn't work out well).

The biggest problem for Wesley is getting a freshman class willing to spend money to go to a school that might not be there in 4 years.  This year may be very telling.

Teamski

Quote from: thewaterboy on February 06, 2020, 11:54:13 PM

We will just have to wait for events to transpire as they come.  I keep my fingers crossed.  In the end I just want the college to survive.  Losing one of nation's best football teams would be tragic, but to see Wesley itself pass into history would be even more so.   For me, having the college just two blocks away, nestled in the old Victorian neighborhood that comprises the heart of the town , the loss of the college would have an almost traumatic effect.  The college has been there for over 150 years and is an integral part of Dover.  Let's hope for the best.

-Ski

MUC57

Teamski

Just read your last post. I understand your feelings.  I live about 2 blocks from Mount Union. Besides having graduated from there, it would be terrible if IT closed.
I don't know much about Wesley besides their standout football team. I have always heard it was a really good college.
Can you give me a brief rundown on what's going on? I can think of several schools that probably should close their doors. However; Wesley isn't one of them.
Good luck to ya and best to Wesley.
Go Wolverines! 🎓
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Teamski

MU57,

Thanks for your comments.  I don't know anymore than what the article has.  The piece we are waiting for is the affiliation that may or may not happen with another institution that is supposed to be announced here in the near future and what impact that will have  on Wesley's athletic programs.  Yeah......

-Skj