BB: D-3 Players in minor leagues/MLB

Started by Spence, September 11, 2007, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

Quote from: OshDude on November 17, 2009, 02:02:44 AM
Saw some AFL stuff and read Stephen Strasburg "showed an effective 91 mph changeup with good sinking action." A 91-mph change ... lol.

Makes me dizzy just thinking about it. I saw him throw two years ago when I lived in SoCal and the excitement around his start that night was unreal. It only got better as he unleashed multiple fastballs in the low 100 mph range.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

OshDude

The following former D-III players were granted free agency this week:
Matt Tupman
Scott Chiasson
Korey Feiner
Matt DeSalvo signed
Tip Fairchild
Vinny Rottino signed
Chris Denorfia signed
Archie Gilbert
Corey Hamman signed
Joe Bateman signed

Also, the Mets released Scott Grimes.

The changes are made on the masterlist above.

OshDude

The Reds added Chris Heisey to their 40-man roster. Baseball America also named Heisey the Reds' No. 4 prospect.

Also, the Rays resigned Joe Bateman.

OshDude

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll post this here. Former UW-Whitewater outfielder Eric Baldwin was named the 2009 Card Player "Player of the Year." If you didn't know, that's a big deal in the tournament poker world. Oh, by the way, he cashed nearly $1.5 million in tournaments this year and won Player of the Year by more than 1,000 points (landslide). For the poker crowd, former POTY winners include Men the Master, T.J. Cloutier and Daniel Negreanu.

Here is a video story/interview with Baldwin regarding the award (10 minutes). If you only watch it for three seconds, it's worth it for the opening montage featuring a photo of Baldy with a sweet stache. The Cubs hat throughout makes it even more enjoyable for this guy. Here are more Baldy video links.

And if the video interests you, revisit Dave Kisor's October feature on Baldwin on D3baseball.com.

OshDude

Did a bunch of rearranging of the master list after several signings. Also stumbled across a story about FA catcher Matt Tupman (Plymouth for a year) getting busted for a second drug suspension.

Let me know if I miss transactions.

OshDude

The following all played winter ball. Not so great ...
Heisey: .297 AVG (27/91), 14 XBH, 5 HR, 14 RBI, 18 R, .972 OPS
Hamman: 0-1, 1.42 ERA, 11 G, 6.1 IP, 0 H
Bateman: 2-2, 1 SV, 3.41 ERA, 37 IP, 35 K
DeSalvo: 2-1, 6.46 ERA, 15 K/11 BB in 15.1 IP
Rottino: .231 (18/78), 3 R, 4 RBI
Tupman: .229 (25/109), 4 XBH, 11 R, 13 RBI
Denorfia: .222 AVG (4/18), 1 HR, 7 K
DeMark: 0-1, 7.43 ERA, 13.1 IP, 19 H, 7 BB, 15 K
Kiely: 0-0, 8.31 ERA, 13 IP, 19 H, 6 BB, 7 K
Kratz: .065 AVG (2/31), 11 K
Rivera: No stats available
Gomez: No stats available
Figueroa: No stats available

infielddad

I learned the other day that Chuck Huggins(Trinity, Tx.) has received an invite to
the Blue Jays Major league camp.  He will will heading to Dunedin in about 2 weeks.

OshDude

Quote from: infielddad on February 03, 2010, 12:01:16 AM
I learned the other day that Chuck Huggins(Trinity, Tx.) has received an invite to
the Blue Jays Major league camp.  He will will heading to Dunedin in about 2 weeks.
We'll start the NRI's there, then. Didn't see Huggins on the Jays list yet. Others:
C Anthony Recker (whom I've somehow missed for the past two years ... now on masterlist), A's
OF Chris Denorfia, Padres
P Jack Taschner, Pirates
P Joe Bateman, Rays

On 40-man rosters:
P Billy Wagner, Braves
P Nelson Figueroa, Mets
OF Chris Heisey, Reds
P Jordan Zimmermann, Nationals

Add to it when they're announced.

CrashDavisD3

Former Chapman Pitcher RHP Wayde Kitchens 3 time All American was signed by
Oakland County Cruisers of the Frontier League. The Cruisers are located in
Waterford, MI.

http://www.frontierleague.com/transactions.php

http://www.cruisersbaseball.com/t-our_team.aspx
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

OshDude

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on February 10, 2010, 07:39:50 AM
Waterford, MI.

Not even looking that hard at the transaction list, D3 guys were jumping out.
Augustine
Engle
Jaehne-Llanas
Gardner
Maycock
F. Gomez
DiPietro
Zeffiro
Armiger

Maybe I'll take up the task of making a list of independent D3'ers sometime. But that transaction list makes me think there are probably 100+ out there.

dgilblair

Are all these independent leagues about the same or are some that much better than others?

chakote

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on February 10, 2010, 07:39:50 AM
Waterford, MI.

I know he will give everything he has to where ever he pitches I will have a lot of fun just watching his career.   8-)
Success is not fatal; Failure is not final; but the courage to continue is what counts!!!
(Churchill)

OshDude

Quote from: DGilblair on February 10, 2010, 05:58:46 PM
Are all these independent leagues about the same or are some that much better than others?
Good question. I'd like to read opinions on that myself. I know a (very) little bit about the subject. I'd click the league links below and check out the alumni. At least that's my guage since the goal is probably to quickly move to affiliated ball. There also appear to be league tryout links on some league pages. I stumbled upon this story about there being only 18 nonroster invitees from independent leagues so far this year.

D-III players from the Frontier League who went on the affiliated ball:
Mike DeMark
Dan Remenowsky
The best ever Frontier MLB'ers appear to be Brendan Donnelly and George Sherrill. Not exactly a who's who.

I know the American Association has recently become the stashing zone of high unsigned picks (Crow, Hochevar, Scherzer, Scheppers, Harrington, etc.), making me think it's gotta be up there in terms of scouting presence, if not overall talent.
Former AA D3'ers in affiliated ball:
Dan Kaczrowski
Looks like ~20 AA players are sold to affiliated teams each year. Not positive where that ranks, but I'm guessing it's on the high end with the Atlantic League.

Here are the other leagues I'm aware of (thanks, Wikipedia). I'm sure I'm missing some, though.
United League, South
Northern League, Midwest/Canada (D3'er Chris Coste played there)
Golden Baseball League, West/Canada/Mexico (D3'er Matt Irsfeld played there)
Continental Baseball League, South (D3'er Jeremy Macklin, and I'm sure others, play there)
Can-Am League , Northeast/Canada (D3'er Scott Grimes played there)
Atlantic League, Mid-Atlantic/Northeast (the "second chance league" ... Canseco, Baerga, Rickey, etc. ... famous managers ... S. Drew and J. Weaver were stashed there after not signing)

I'd say the American Association and the Atlantic League are the two best. Anyone out there with more independent league knowledge? I think I will do a list of D3'ers in indy ball sometime this year.

John McGraw

Quote from: OshDude on February 11, 2010, 09:14:05 AM
Quote from: DGilblair on February 10, 2010, 05:58:46 PM
Good question. I'd like to read opinions on that myself. I know a (very) little bit about the subject. I'd click the league links below and check out the alumni. At least that's my guage since the goal is probably to quickly move to affiliated ball. There also appear to be league tryout links on some league pages. I stumbled upon this story about there being only 18 nonroster invitees from independent leagues so far this year.

D-III players from the Frontier League who went on the affiliated ball:
Mike DeMark
Dan Remenowsky
The best ever Frontier MLB'ers appear to be Brendan Donnelly and George Sherrill. Not exactly a who's who.

I know the American Association has recently become the stashing zone of high unsigned picks (Crow, Hochevar, Scherzer, Scheppers, Harrington, etc.), making me think it's gotta be up there in terms of scouting presence, if not overall talent.
Former AA D3'ers in affiliated ball:
Dan Kaczrowski
Looks like ~20 AA players are sold to affiliated teams each year. Not positive where that ranks, but I'm guessing it's on the high end with the Atlantic League.

Here are the other leagues I'm aware of (thanks, Wikipedia). I'm sure I'm missing some, though.
United League, South
Northern League, Midwest/Canada (D3'er Chris Coste played there)
Golden Baseball League, West/Canada/Mexico (D3'er Matt Irsfeld played there)
Continental Baseball League, South (D3'er Jeremy Macklin, and I'm sure others, play there)
Can-Am League , Northeast/Canada (D3'er Scott Grimes played there)
Atlantic League, Mid-Atlantic/Northeast (the "second chance league" ... Canseco, Baerga, Rickey, etc. ... famous managers ... S. Drew and J. Weaver were stashed there after not signing)

I'd say the American Association and the Atlantic League are the two best. Anyone out there with more independent league knowledge? I think I will do a list of D3'ers in indy ball sometime this year.

I handle a list of alumni for the summer league I work for and the numbers in some of the leagues are staggering. I think my league had upwards of 20 guys playing in the Frontier League. I'm glad they keep an updated transactions page since the rosters tend to fluctuate wildly. The Atlantic League is the best right now, the league has had a host of former Major League players and those players by playing in the league hope to catch on as a midseason replacement or better with the MLB teams in that area. The Northern League I would say right now is catching up, they've become a veteran minor league and gotten mostly rid of rookies. The Rockford team I believe just signed former Cub Randall Simon.

The American Association should round out the top three as it's had higher end talent but not a lot of former big leaguers. Offhand, I can think of a few guys that have been AAA in affiliated ball and gone to that league and done fairly well.

The Can-Am and Frontier Leagues are more rookie-based for younger players. The Can-Am has some slightly older players but I think once you get to a certain number of years played, you have to move on to another league. The talent level in either league isn't awful but I don't think it matches the others. Both leagues have had players go on to sign with Major League clubs.

The other leagues I'm not terribly sure about though the Golden is the most professional IMO of the remaining leagues. They have teams in Hawaii, British Columbia, Arizona, California, etc. It's been a type of second-chance league as you referred to - Ricky Henderson, Hideki Irabu, etc but by-and-by it's guys too old for some of the other leagues and also for players originally from the western United States. Whereas someone from the east may gravitate more towards the Can-Am.

dgilblair

Thanks, for the insight and opinions. I have heard of a kid paying ($3500) to go play for a month or so in Arizona do you know what that is all about?