BB: D-3 Players in minor leagues/MLB

Started by Spence, September 11, 2007, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OshDude

Charlie Furbush ranks second in all of MiLB with 183 strikeouts.

bcbleep

Groff from Rookie ball to AAA? Quite a jump...

Jim Dixon

Quote from: bcbleep on September 03, 2010, 11:25:36 AM
Groff from Rookie ball to AAA? Quite a jump...

Hmmm....I expect that at this time of year, if your season is over your on your way home and removed from consideration.  I have not looked at the teams for Kang and Groff but I expect the AAA shortstop was needed on the big club and they were next in line (or closest).

OshDude

The Twins signed a 3B named Roy Larson. I have not heard if it was Roy Larson from St. Thomas, but the Twins got a lot out of Matt Schuld as a FA out of UST, so I'm thinking it is the UST Larson. Can anyone confirm or reject my thinking?

CCIWFAN6

Quote from: OshDude on October 01, 2010, 09:39:26 AM
The Twins signed a 3B named Roy Larson. I have not heard if it was Roy Larson from St. Thomas, but the Twins got a lot out of Matt Schuld as a FA out of UST, so I'm thinking it is the UST Larson. Can anyone confirm or reject my thinking?

Not sure this helps much, but after a game like this, it would only make sense.

http://www.stthomas.edu/magazine/2010/spring/baseball/vstwins.html

OshDude

Brief AFL update
Joe Paterson, who went to Linfield for a few minutes, joined Cole Kimball (Centenary) at Scottsdale in the Arizona Fall League. Scottsdale should be the buzz team with Bryce Harper assigned there this week. Paterson (3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K) and Kimball (2 IP, 0.00 WHIP, 4 K) are off to nice starts through two appearances.

Jason Bour (Hampden-Sydney for a spell) was assigned to the Peoria Saguaros (there are two Peoria teams) a few days ago but hasn't played.

Mesa manager Casey Kopitzke played at UW Oshkosh.

OshDude

The Mets released Chapman's John Semel.

OshDude

The Red Sox released Johns Hopkins P Chez Angeloni and Trinity (Conn.) C/1B Sean Killeen.

The Mets released Worcester State P Tim Stronach.

MiLB Free Agents: UW-La Crosse C/1B Vinny Rottino, Montclair P Jeff Gogal, Montclair P Corey Hamman, Trinity (Conn.) P Jonah Bayliss, Cal Lutheran P Jason Hirsh, East Bay OF Archie Gilbert, Eastern Mennonite C Erik Kratz, Massachusetts College P Joe Bateman

OshDude

The Marlins re-signed Vinny Rottino (UW-La Crosse).
The Astros released Daniel Sarisky (Oglethorpe).
The Tigers added St. Joseph's (ME) Charlie Furbush to their 40-man roster.
The Mets added Alvernia's Zach Lutz to their 40-man roster.
The Nationals added Centenary's Cole Kimball to their 40-man roster.

OshDude

Recent updates to the masterlist:
The Diamondbacks selected Linfield/Oregon St. LHP Joe Paterson in the MLB Rule 5 draft.
The Rays signed Trinity (Conn.) RHP Jonah Bayliss.
The Nationals signed East Bay OF Archie Gilbert.
The A's signed Massachusetts College RHP Joe Bateman.
The Phillies signed Eastern Mennonite C Erik Kratz.

OshDude

Baseball America is rolling out its top 10 organizational prospects. Prospects from NL Central and NL West teams have yet to be released. Two D3'ers have been mentioned so far.

No. 7 Nationals prospect: Centenary RHP Cole Kimball, who is rated as having the best fastball on the farm.

Trinity (Conn.) RHP Tim Kiely is deemed to have best control in the Angels system.

May as well slip the last nugget in here despite it being bad news among the good: the Nats released Alvernia RHP Shane Zellers.

OshDude

Winter League update
Nats (level TBD) OF Archie Gilbert (East Bay): .284 AVG (42-for-148), 29 R, 11 2B, 2 3B (6th in league), 6 HR, 17 RBI, 14 BB, 19 K, 10 SB (8th), 4 CS, .507 OBP, .868 OPS (not enough ABs to qualify for percentage stats but would be 12th in SLG and 14th in OPS) in Mexico

FA LHP Corey Hamman (Monclair): 1-0, 3.93 ERA, 1 SV, 22 G (3rd in league), 18.1 IP, 4 HR (2nd in league), 7 BB, 15 K; 2nd in league with 5 games finished in Venezuela

Nats RHP Erik Arnesen (Grove City): 3-3 (wins 3rd in league, losses 6th), 2.47 ERA (6th), 8 GS (8th), 43.2 IP (7th), 44 H (7th), 3 HR, 8 BB, 18 K, .257 OBA, 1.19 WHIP (5th in league) in Puerto Rico

AFL update
Dbacks LHP Joe Paterson (Linfield/Oregon St.): 0-0, 2.25 ERA, 10 G, 12 IP, 6 H, 2 BB, 14 K

Nats AA RHP Cole Kimball (Centenary): 0-0, 1 SV, .75 ERA, 11 G (5th in league), 12 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 15 K, .186 OBA, 11 games finished (led league)

ChiSox High-A C Jason Bour (Hampden-Sydney/George Mason): .273 AVG (6-for-23), 4 2B, 3 R, 1 RBI, .759 OPS

Also, Pacific Lutheran RHP Trey Watt's player page says he was released by the Dbacks. Have not been able to confirm that.

OshDude

MiLB recently announced each team's organizational all-star team (one player per position in each system). Here is the description of the honors from the site:
This offseason, MiLB.com will be honoring the players -- regardless of age or prospect status -- who had the best seasons in their organization. We're taking a look at each team to determine the outstanding seasons in Minor League baseball.

Here are the former D3'ers who made the cut, including hyperlinks to the releases. The links include season highlights and sometimes quotes from coaches. I recommend the links.

Nationals RP: Cole Kimball, Double-A (Centenary)
Blue Jays left-handed SP: Chuck Huggins, High-A (Trinity-TX, UC Santa Barbara)
Giants 2B: Ryan Cavan, Single A (Trinity-TX, Chapman, UC Santa Barbara)
Red Sox right-handed SP: Blake Maxwell, Double-A (Methodist)
Pirates honorable mention SS: Kelson Brown, Short Season (Linfield)
Diamondbacks honorable mention 1B: Yazy Arbelo, Short Season (Keystone)

517th

Great list OshDude,I'm going to make a copy to follow some of the northeast players in 2011.Since it appears that you like stats,would you have a breakdown on the number of  players ,on average, drafted and signed each year from D1,D2,D3,Juco,Naia,High School and undrafted free agents.